Nevada

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:17 pm Exclamation point❗️

We keep everyone - great things next year.

Sure hope Burman re-thinks the premium seating for next year at the AA. Looks horrible.
He can't fix his mistake. Terminable offense, without a doubt. But here we are, Wyoming, doing less with less since 2006.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:17 pm Exclamation point❗️

We keep everyone - great things next year.

Sure hope Burman re-thinks the premium seating for next year at the AA. Looks horrible.
He can't fix his mistake. Terminable offense, without a doubt. But here we are, Wyoming, doing less with less since 2006.
Yeah, he definitely sold everyone a bill of goods regarding the "need" to gut the AA and flip the floor. Worked out well... :nutkick:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:39 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 am

Yeah, he definitely sold everyone a bill of goods regarding the "need" to gut the AA and flip the floor. Worked out well... :nutkick:
So much fail with that...if you and I were to do something that bone-headed back in the golden days, we would have been termed immediately. Then likely shot at on our way out the door. Why nobody calls his poop out on the massive mistakes he has made and continues to make, is typical Wyoming. God forbid somebody rock the boat.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:20 am
Wyovanian wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:39 pm

So much fail with that...if you and I were to do something that bone-headed back in the golden days, we would have been termed immediately. Then likely shot at on our way out the door. Why nobody calls his poop out on the massive mistakes he has made and continues to make, is typical Wyoming. God forbid somebody rock the boat.
In all fairness, I don't think either of us would have made such a call in our respective golden days.

If the Trustees and President could look past the economy of a native son in his dream job, they'd see a somewhat malignant placeholder.

Since I've been back, it seems Wyoming went from being a "walk it like you talk it" culture to one that likes to just talk it. The Code of the West has become just a t-shirt of the month. Courage among our late-Boomer leadership is on par with most other middling states. Vision is compromised by so-called conservatives who put culture ahead of smart economic policy, and think mattress-stuffing is a solid investment. Appalachia and the Tennessee Valley have become bolder and more independent-minded since the turn of the Century.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:20 am

In all fairness, I don't think either of us would have made such a call in our respective golden days.

If the Trustees and President could look past the economy of a native son in his dream job, they'd see a somewhat malignant placeholder.

Since I've been back, it seems Wyoming went from being a "walk it like you talk it" culture to one that likes to just talk it. The Code of the West has become just a t-shirt of the month. Courage among our late-Boomer leadership is on par with most other middling states. Vision is compromised by so-called conservatives who put culture ahead of smart economic policy, and think mattress-stuffing is a solid investment. Appalachia and the Tennessee Valley have become bolder and more independent-minded since the turn of the Century.
Ain't this the truth. My sister-in-law, Rebecca Fannin, has a book coming out in a few weeks called "Silicone Heartland". It's about the transformation that's happening of a bunch of rust belt locations into new hubs of technology and innovation. Instead of pining for the "steel industry" or whatever to come back, there's a lot of FORWARD LOOKING people doing very interesting things that just may turn things around for parts of the Midwest. Do you think maybe some of the movers and shakers in Wyoming could learn from this? Naw, probably not! Much better to pretend it's still 1963, not 2023.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

wwplayer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Ain't this the truth. My sister-in-law, Rebecca Fannin, has a book coming out in a few weeks called "Silicone Heartland". It's about the transformation that's happening of a bunch of rust belt locations into new hubs of technology and innovation. Instead of pining for the "steel industry" or whatever to come back, there's a lot of FORWARD LOOKING people doing very interesting things that just may turn things around for parts of the Midwest. Do you think maybe some of the movers and shakers in Wyoming could learn from this? Naw, probably not! Much better to pretend it's still 1963, not 2023.
I'm all for a visionary approach for the University of Wyoming but lets not lay Wyoming's economic woes on the doorstep of the athletic department. Politically...there are probably less than a handful of people who could even have an impact on that. Beyond that, those "FORWARD LOOKING" people you referenced are generally not in leadership at universities. The people that actually transform the derelict rust belt locations are most definitely not political leaders. The political leaders may do some helping and hindering at the margins but forward leaps in markets and industry are accomplished by everyday people. My own political philosophy is that, in general, bureaucratic types will do more on the "hindering" front than the "helping" front. To the extent that Wyoming can't grow new markets and industry, the blame is with us (the people).
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

307bball wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:16 am
wwplayer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:54 pm
I'm all for a visionary approach for the University of Wyoming but lets not lay Wyoming's economic woes on the doorstep of the athletic department. Politically...there are probably less than a handful of people who could even have an impact on that. Beyond that, those "FORWARD LOOKING" people you referenced are generally not in leadership at universities. The people that actually transform the derelict rust belt locations are most definitely not political leaders. The political leaders may do some helping and hindering at the margins but forward leaps in markets and industry are accomplished by everyday people. My own political philosophy is that, in general, bureaucratic types will do more on the "hindering" front than the "helping" front. To the extent that Wyoming can't grow new markets and industry, the blame is with us (the people).
Can't say I disagree with any of what you are saying. Almost by definition, administration types (University/state govt/corporations/etc.) are probably going to trend towards the status quo 99% of the time. Cover your ass. Political types will only say/do those things that perpetuate their power. My comments were meant more as an indictment of the power structure of Wyoming (other states, too) in general, than the Athletic Dept itself. Wish that we could hire/elect/appoint people with some VISION, be it for athletics, university, economy, whatever. Maybe then we could move past this fixation on the "good old days". And yes, the blame is with "us".
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

wwplayer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:55 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:16 am

Can't say I disagree with any of what you are saying. Almost by definition, administration types (University/state govt/corporations/etc.) are probably going to trend towards the status quo 99% of the time. Cover your ass. Political types will only say/do those things that perpetuate their power. My comments were meant more as an indictment of the power structure of Wyoming (other states, too) in general, than the Athletic Dept itself. Wish that we could hire/elect/appoint people with some VISION, be it for athletics, university, economy, whatever. Maybe then we could move past this fixation on the "good old days". And yes, the blame is with "us".
It is definitely a sticky wicket. generally I think people get what they deserve when it comes to leaders. It's sort of easy to point out bad leaders (particularly in politics) but the rot that produces them will continue to produce them even if you "throw the bums out" so to speak. UW presidents, BOT, and ADs are a function and product of the system they are in. The malaise at all levels in Wyoming is troubling. The example of economic revival in areas of the south and midwest that have been defunct for decades is informative. What would have to change at UW for a version of that to happen?

This topic is beginning to stray far from the topic of the Nevada game hehe. But when you start to wonder what is going on to keep Wyoming athletics where it is at...you start to tug at some of these threads.