Colson Coon and Luke Talich

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:21 am Lmao, what has this thread even turned into?

"You're not a real Wyomingite if you don't go to UW" or some Sh#t?

Nobody in this state is obligated to go anywhere or play for anyone, least of all UW. Full stop.

And that doesn't make them any less "loyal" or "Wyomingite" than someone who does.

I get that it's a hard pill to swallow, but Wyoming isn't a top-tier university for either academics or sports. UW also doesn't offer great programs in every single career path in existence.

I myself had to go elsewhere for my education and don't regret it for a moment.

Born, raised, and have lived 90% of my life here...and have dedicated so much of my time, effort, and finances to this great state....but I'm gonna get a lecture about "loyalty" for not choosing UW (and instead choosing an institution with a better focus and higher profile in my chosen industry)?

Get out of here with that nonsense.

These kids don't need to be making life, education, and career choices based on some vague and misplaced sense of loyalty/patriotism/tribalism.
Smartly stated. I lived my whole life in Wyoming and love UW, yet if my son or daughter had the desire and opportunity to attend ND or other school which would be springboard into a highly sought after degree I would stand behind their choice 200%.

The issue is not what I want anyhow, it is what my child would want. While I would offer advice, part of growing up is making decisions for your own future. I say good luck Luke, I really hope you do great things.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:21 am Lmao, what has this thread even turned into?

"You're not a real Wyomingite if you don't go to UW" or some Sh#t?

Nobody in this state is obligated to go anywhere or play for anyone, least of all UW. Full stop.

And that doesn't make them any less "loyal" or "Wyomingite" than someone who does.

I get that it's a hard pill to swallow, but Wyoming isn't a top-tier university for either academics or sports. UW also doesn't offer great programs in every single career path in existence.

I myself had to go elsewhere for my education and don't regret it for a moment.

Born, raised, and have lived 90% of my life here...and have dedicated so much of my time, effort, and finances to this great state....but I'm gonna get a lecture about "loyalty" for not choosing UW (and instead choosing an institution with a better focus and higher profile in my chosen industry)?

Get out of here with that nonsense.

These kids don't need to be making life, education, and career choices based on some vague and misplaced sense of loyalty/patriotism/tribalism.
Smartly stated. I lived my whole life in Wyoming and love UW, yet if my son or daughter had the desire and opportunity to attend ND or other school which would be springboard into a highly sought after degree I would stand behind their choice 200%.

The issue is not what I want anyhow, it is what my child would want. While I would offer advice, part of growing up is making decisions for your own future. I say good luck Luke, I really hope you do great things.
I want someone to tell me about the undergrad degree that he'll obtain at ND that will justify $60k/year price tag he'll be paying vs a full ride at Wyoming.

Still don't understand this kid's thought process, and I find the situation disappointing. Whatever. He won't have the privilege of being called a Cowboy. good luck to Luke!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:08 pm
doreno5 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 am Smartly stated. I lived my whole life in Wyoming and love UW, yet if my son or daughter had the desire and opportunity to attend ND or other school which would be springboard into a highly sought after degree I would stand behind their choice 200%.

I want someone to tell me about the undergrad degree that he'll obtain at ND that will justify $60k/year price tag he'll be paying vs a full ride at Wyoming.

Still don't understand this kid's thought process, and I find the situation disappointing. Whatever. He won't have the privilege of being called a Cowboy. good luck to Luke!
He will likely pay very little if anything at ND.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:05 pm

How? NIL? Academic scholarships?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 pm

I think at any football power program....just being on the roster is going to allow you to partake in whatever NIL collective that has been formed. Does it offset Tuition?...no idea...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Yes. The 'scholarship limit' is a thing of the past. There is no scholarship limit for big time programs. The preferred walk-ons are paid with NIL money....and none of it has to be disclosed. Some folks are living in the past. This is the free market.

Hell, even BYU covers all of its walk-ons tuition and it is publicly disclosed:
https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/b ... -built-bar
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 pm
I think at any football power program....just being on the roster is going to allow you to partake in whatever NIL collective that has been formed. Does it offset Tuition?...no idea...
If you are a preferred walk-on at a big time program, you likely aren't paying tuition (unless you have rich parents who might also be donors).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 am Smartly stated. I lived my whole life in Wyoming and love UW, yet if my son or daughter had the desire and opportunity to attend ND or other school which would be springboard into a highly sought after degree I would stand behind their choice 200%.

Would you like someone to pass you the catchup?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Sacredhorse
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time

Wyomingisgreat1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:34 am Luke is better than Coon by a mile. We really don't need a RB especially since we have a transfer and freshman from Wisconsin. Since Bohl is big with getting in state recruits he must not be that good.
Have you watched both of them play? Cody started the season with 9 All-state returning players in 3A. Sheridan had 1 (had 2 but 1 transferred to Cheyenne East, giving the 5).
Coon rushed for 517 yards on 29 carries in a semi final against Cheyenne Central and scored 51 points. In the 4A champion game against Cheyenne East (with 1 of Sheridan's All-staters now on their team), Coon scored 3 rushing touchdowns, kicked 2 FGs of 41 and 44 yards and returned a pick6 27 yards for another touchdown. He personally accounted for all 34 Sheridan points. Coon averaged 9.9 yards/carry for the season on an undefeated team. Probably why he was selected as the only 2 time winner of the Gatorade Player of the Year.
That being said, one may be better than the other....but not a ton.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Coon won the 182 lb title at state wrestling, but he dodged a bullet because Central's Jack Ring, who he previously lost to, got injured at the Ron Thon.

Still wish both Coon and talich were suiting up for the Pokes next year.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:00 pm Coon won the 182 lb title at state wrestling, but he dodged a bullet because Central's Jack Ring, who he previously lost to, got injured at the Ron Thon.

I wish they were too but for now I hope they do great at their respective schools. If they do, maybe more athletes from Wyoming might get recruited.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Dead Issue. What is done is done, let's let it go shall we? After all, this is a UNIVERSITY of WYOMING sports message board. They aren't part of the Wyoming Cowboys, best of luck to them wherever they end up, whenever they end up ending up.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Sacredhorse
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:00 pm Coon won the 182 lb title at state wrestling, but he dodged a bullet because Central's Jack Ring, who he previously lost to, got injured at the Ron Thon.

Ring was injured in the Ron Thon. Heard that he was dismissed from the team. Also heard that that the reason he was in Wyoming was due to being dismissed from the team he was on in Colorado. Cannot confirm either but I did not see him in Casper supporting his team.