Freshman QB. '23

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I have seen plenty of Peasley. I think we know his ceiling. I hope that freshman from Texas comes at semester. Just start him. :thumb: :winky:
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think zero percent chance knowing Bohl. Our offense isn’t that flexible.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Our offense takes a 130 IQ and three and a half years to learn
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:46 am Our offense take a 130 IQ and three and a half years to learn
I used to think that too but I'm really starting to think Bohl and staff are really bad at identifying qbs.

In Bohl's offense, Levi looked like a low-end serviceable qb. He was/is a complete mess at usu. Bohl's offense somehow masked his major deficiencies.

In all honesty, I think Bohl was/is believing that nonsense about being a qb guru which led him and staff to reach on qbs with certain traits then try to develop them into the next Wentz or Allen. Problem is that Allen developed despite the staff. They are not qb gurus and need to quit reaching on guys they think they can develop.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

They need bring an offensive coach that knows something about what the 9ers are currently running. Brock comes in and looks like he’s been playing in the system for 5 years. Lots of rushing still so that’d make Bohl happy
W-Y, Until I Die!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Bohl either takes QBs that are hopeless and tries to develop them (TVW) without actually having the ability to do so, or he takes perfectly talented QBs that have done well in other systems (Peasley) and stunts their development with his horrid offensive philosophy. Either way, he sets them up for failure.

As for the comments about Levi, he's not had enough first-team reps or gametime at USU for us to really make that determination.

Need I remind everyone that one of the greatest generational talents we've seen at the QB position struggled for much of his time here, and didn't improve until he hired an independant QB coach prior to the Senior Bowl and entered NFL camp.

As long as Bohl insistes on this offensive philosophy, hires yes men to do his bidding, and even promotes them when they're clearly the worst coach on the team [cough Grant cough], every QB that comes here will face an uphill battle.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Levi is where he is in the depth chart for a reason and not because he didn't get a chance. He's ok but not that good. Same for Peasley.

QB coaching has been abysmal by that's not the only reason the passing game has struggled.

We need a new QB to have a shot next season. I appreciate Peasley and the others, but they don't have what is needed for a MWC championship...no matter the coach.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Bohl won’t start anyone over Peasley. He likes him and cannot bring himself to truly think through the possibility of anyone else starting next year. He is a stubborn old man that values loyalty above any other skill or trait. This said, Peasley is likely our best option, which says a lot about our QB depth chart and development.

Oh, and Grant needs to be fired. He won’t be, but he needs to be canned.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:44 pm Levi is where he is in the depth chart for a reason and not because he didn't get a chance. He's ok but not that good. Same for Peasley.

QB coaching has been abysmal by that's not the only reason the passing game has struggled.

We need a new QB to have a shot next season. I appreciate Peasley and the others, but they don't have what is needed for a MWC championship...no matter the coach.
Peasley was only #2 on USU's depth chart because Bonner was Anderson's "guy", and Anderson was almost as stubborn as Bohl about it in spite of some streaks of really bad play. It was a HUGE gripe of USU fans, who spent half the 2021 season calling for Peasley to start.

Anderson's hand was finally forced due to injury, and Peasley....while certainly not perfect...showed a lot of promise and potential and was absolutely a small part of their championship.

Again, Peasley's ceiling is much higher than he's been able to show in our current system. Just like JA17's was (or did we forget that Allen's best year was 8-5 with no championship appearance, a Potato Bowl win, and some pretty horrendous numbers at times?).

But sure I guess. We'll keep calling for QBs' heads as if that's going to make a difference. Maybe a ninth quarterback to take snaps since 2016 will do the trick. /rolleyes
LawPoke wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:35 pm Oh, and Grant needs to be fired. He won’t be, but he needs to be canned.
This cannot be repeated enough, and it's shocking that it flew under the radar for so goddamned long. How that man got promoted is beyond me.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:05 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:44 pm Levi is where he is in the depth chart for a reason and not because he didn't get a chance. He's ok but not that good. Same for Peasley.

Peasley was only #2 on USU's depth chart because Bonner was Anderson's "guy", and Anderson was almost as stubborn as Bohl about it in spite of some streaks of really bad play. It was a HUGE gripe of USU fans, who spent half the 2021 season calling for Peasley to start.

Anderson's hand was finally forced due to injury, and Peasley....while certainly not perfect...showed a lot of promise and potential and was absolutely a small part of their championship.

Again, Peasley's ceiling is much higher than he's been able to show in our current system. Just like JA17's was (or did we forget that Allen's best year was 8-5 with no championship appearance, a Potato Bowl win, and some pretty horrendous numbers at times?).

But sure I guess. We'll keep calling for QBs' heads as if that's going to make a difference. Maybe a ninth quarterback to take snaps since 2016 will do the trick. /rolleyes
LawPoke wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:35 pm Oh, and Grant needs to be fired. He won’t be, but he needs to be canned.
This cannot be repeated enough, and it's shocking that it flew under the radar for so goddamned long. How that man got promoted is beyond me.
Meh, all the failure at qb could be that the staff either can't evaluate high school talent or can't land what they need.

Levi or Peasley would struggle to start at most fbs programs. Coaching and recruiting are to blame.

As for WYO's athletic failures, the systemic issues need addressed first and coaching second. Both need addressed. Just doing 1 or the other will yield results we've seen for the past 20 years. Accepting mediocrity is not demanding university-wide change.

Like the struggle at qb, it's easier to just blame a coach I guess. Carry on, carry on. Get the pitchforks and torches--just keep them in good shape for next Dec (if we don't have upgrades in the QB room including coaching) and in 5-6 or so years after Bohl is gone and the next coach fails (unless systemic issues are also addressed).
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:56 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:05 am

Meh, all the failure at qb could be that the staff either can't evaluate high school talent or can't land what they need.

Levi or Peasley would struggle to start at most fbs programs. Coaching and recruiting are to blame.

As for WYO's athletic failures, the systemic issues need addressed first and coaching second. Both need addressed. Just doing 1 or the other will yield results we've seen for the past 20 years. Accepting mediocrity is not demanding university-wide change.

Like the struggle at qb, it's easier to just blame a coach I guess. Carry on, carry on. Get the pitchforks and torches--just keep them in good shape for next Dec (if we don't have upgrades in the QB room including coaching) and in 5-6 or so years after Bohl is gone and the next coach fails (unless systemic issues are also addressed).
Grant is terrible. No matter what you or I think of Bohl - or any other coach - Grant is a major weak link.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:01 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:56 am

Grant is terrible. No matter what you or I think of Bohl - or any other coach - Grant is a major weak link.
Doesn't change the fact that Levi and Peasley would struggle to start at most fbs programs.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:14 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:01 pm

Doesn't change the fact that Levi and Peasley would struggle to start at most fbs programs.
Oh, I agree. No question.

Ultimately, Bohl decided that Levi and Peasley were worth an offer to play for our FBS program. The thing about control freaks is that they own everything that works or doesn’t work on their team.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:47 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Oh, I agree. No question.

Ultimately, Bohl decided that Levi and Peasley were worth an offer to play for our FBS program. The thing about control freaks is that they own everything that works or doesn’t work on their team.
I don't disagree. Outside of Allen, recruiting has been hugely deficient at QB. Like I said, I think the majority of it is a false sense of ability in identifying and developing qbs. Bohl bought into the media shtick around the time of Allen and he's been chasing that ever since. Reality is that he isn't good at identifying talent or developing qbs.

Damtgat river seems to think Levi and Peasley are Heisman candidates being held back by coaching. Reality is they won't start anywhere else regardless of coaching.

Now, shhh, you're scaring the fish. His big football iq is going to be tested by those of us with a superficial understanding of the game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I just want to set the record straight regarding JA. Yes, the team was only 8-5 in his junior and last season. But Josh was hurt during the win at Air force and missed the last 2 games. Those games - against a worse than horrible San Jose st. team and a decent Fresno st. team at home, would have certainly been wins had JA played. We lost only 1 conference game that year with JA playing - at Boise st.. And that was a game we were leading going into the 4th quarter.

I've been as big a Craig Bohl basher as anyone on this site. But the fact is, we would have been a 10 win team had JA played the entire year. This notion that Bohl couldn't win with a superstar qb is just a little off base. The defense was awful during JA's sophmore year. We gave up 70 to UNLV, for god's sake. But Bohl fired Stanard and the defense took a big leap forward.

As poorly as Peasley has played at times, he made some big time throws v. Ohio, especially on the go ahead drive. His ability to read defenses and make decisions hasn't been good. But I'm sure the right qb coach could improve his ability in those areas. And, in fairness to Peasley, we don't have a good group of receivers. They don't get separation and they are terrible at fighting for the ball when it comes their way. Overall, we probably have the worst receiver group in the league, with the exception of Air Force.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:15 pm I just want to set the record straight regarding JA. Yes, the team was only 8-5 in his junior and last season. But Josh was hurt during the win at Air force and missed the last 2 games. Those games - against a worse than horrible San Jose st. team and a decent Fresno st. team at home, would have certainly been wins had JA played. We lost only 1 conference game that year with JA playing - at Boise st.. And that was a game we were leading going into the 4th quarter.

I've been as big a Craig Bohl basher as anyone on this site. But the fact is, we would have been a 10 win team had JA played the entire year. This notion that Bohl couldn't win with a superstar qb is just a little off base. The defense was awful during JA's sophmore year. We gave up 70 to UNLV, for god's sake. But Bohl fired Stanard and the defense took a big leap forward.

As poorly as Peasley has played at times, he made some big time throws v. Ohio, especially on the go ahead drive. His ability to read defenses and make decisions hasn't been good. But I'm sure the right qb coach could improve his ability in those areas. And, in fairness to Peasley, we don't have a good group of receivers. They don't get separation and they are terrible at fighting for the ball when it comes their way. Overall, we probably have the worst receiver group in the league, with the exception of Air Force.
So true. And my bolded part from you post is frightening considering that we only recruited two WRs in the early signing period. That fact tells me one of three things:

1. Bohl and Grant finally figured out how to recruit receivers and have great confidence that the two signees are our saviors (not likely - and even if true, Grant can’t coach them) when paired with Brown and Pellisier and our TE corps (which still needs more touches);
2. More signees will come from the portal to scratch our WR itch; or
3. We will see more of the same -if not less- from the passing game with Cobbs and Marcotte departing (I don’t know how it is logistically or practically feasible to have less passing production than we’ve seen recently, but you can’t count Grant and Bohl’s scheme out of any races for ineptness on offense.).
Last edited by LawPoke on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:51 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:15 pm I just want to set the record straight regarding JA. Yes, the team was only 8-5 in his junior and last season. But Josh was hurt during the win at Air force and missed the last 2 games. Those games - against a worse than horrible San Jose st. team and a decent Fresno st. team at home, would have certainly been wins had JA played. We lost only 1 conference game that year with JA playing - at Boise st.. And that was a game we were leading going into the 4th quarter.

So true. The fact that we only recruited two WRs in the early signing period tells me:

1. Bohl and Grant finally figured out how to recruit receivers and have eat confidence that the two signees are our saviors (not likely - and even if true, Grant can’t coach them);
3. We will see more of the same -if not less- from the passing game with Cobbs and Marcotte departing (I don’t know how it is logistically or practically feasible to have less passing production than we’ve seen recently, but you can’t count Grant and Bohl’s scheme out of any races for ineptness on offense.).
The fact you are even acknowledging Marcotte leaving is dumb. He’s a 5th year player in law school
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:54 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:51 pm

So true. The fact that we only recruited two WRs in the early signing period tells me:

1. Bohl and Grant finally figured out how to recruit receivers and have eat confidence that the two signees are our saviors (not likely - and even if true, Grant can’t coach them);
The fact you are even acknowledging Marcotte leaving is dumb. He’s a 5th year player in law school
His production is leaving. Swen departed too…as in, will not be on the team and therefore not contributing. Under different circumstances, sure. Even then, he wasn’t a huge contributor, but we need every catch we can get in this crap scheme we are stuck with.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

With out looking it up how many times has UW finished in the top 25?

The negative nancys need to realize this is one of the best eras of UW football. I guess none of you lived through the seventies.

Yea we had some good teams in the 50’s and 60’s and a few good yrs in the 80s and 90s. Unless you are 70 or 80 yrs old this is the most consistent success we have seen.

Bohl is the man
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Hotkarl wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 pm With out looking it up how many times has UW finished in the top 25?

The negative nancys need to realize this is one of the best eras of UW football. I guess none of you lived through the seventies.

Yea we had some good teams in the 50’s and 60’s and a few good yrs in the 80s and 90s. Unless you are 70 or 80 yrs old this is the most consistent success we have seen.

Bohl is the man
Last time we EVER ended the year in the Top 25.........1996 with NO bowl appearance that year I might add!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Last time we won a conference championship....1993 in which we shared the WAC tie with Fresno State and the ^*)*^^*()^%%$*(^*^%*))_%$# from Provo!
Last time we won an outright conference championship............1988

Bohl hasn't given the fanbase ANY of this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wins in the Spud Bowl and Arizona Bowls not sponsored by a sports betting site. He even had a once n a millenium QB in Josh Allen and Bohl STILL couldn't get it right!!!!!!!!!!! Any questions?

Championships or why bother?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!