That broadcast and bowl were a joke

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Subcanis wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:08 pm
LawPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:02 pm

Both. But more UW.

Here’s a test: Name 10 programs with distinction and much of any funding through outside investment (grants included, excluding block grant dollars) flowing to them on the campus. Name 5.

Now, envision what happens when 1/2 of the block grant evaporates over the next decade when our economy bottoms out and Biden bucks are gone to balance the state budget.
Gotcha. Outside of engineering…. and that well is drying up.
Outside of Dr. Pirri’s work in the High Bay, which the faculty and admin at UW are jealous of and do everything they can to undercut, even engineering is a joke. Our law school, which used to be well respected, is investing more in international law than water and natural resources or turning out practitioners that might be able to practice here. Ag? Nope. A&S? Naw. Education? Laughable. Not piling on…just further proving the point. At least some of us got our degrees and jobs when a UW degree meant something.

But I digress. Back to how awesome we are in athletics.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:14 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:11 pm

Academics, possibly, but this forum is for Wyoming Cowboy football.
We can talk about academics in the UW football forum. Just as long it has to do with UW.

As Mills Lane (longtime boxing ref) would say "I'll allow it."
RIP
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

LawPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:15 pm

Outside of Dr. Pirri’s work in the High Bay, which the faculty and admin at UW are jealous of and do everything they can to undercut, even engineering is a joke. Our law school, which used to be well respected, is investing more in international law than water and natural resources or turning out practitioners that might be able to practice here. Ag? Nope. A&S? Naw. Education? Laughable. Not piling on…just further proving the point. At least some of us got our degrees and jobs when a UW degree meant something.

Atmospheric Sciences have been highly regarded and invested in and yet have never been in the spotlight. Even me, as a former engineering student, only really knew of them because of my aviation background.
Last edited by Subcanis on Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Subcanis wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:16 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:14 pm

We can talk about academics in the UW football forum. Just as long it has to do with UW.

As Mills Lane (longtime boxing ref) would say "I'll allow it."
RIP
I forgot he passed away.

Speaking of which, Barbara Walters passed away today..
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

I think most people agree with your belief we could be better athletically. I see very few people content.

But to be fair, let’s be honest about the things UW does have when it comes to the positives. And our facilities are pretty dam nice. Investments have been made.

People can talk about academics, athletics, whatever (let’s see how tolerant people are if we talk politics and Creepy Joe).
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 pm

I think most people agree with your belief we could be better athletically. I see very few people content.

But to be fair, let’s be honest about the things UW does have when it comes to the positives. And our facilities are pretty dam nice. Investments have been made.

People can talk about academics, athletics, whatever (let’s see how tolerant people are if we talk politics and Creepy Joe).
PLEASE don't get me started on him. :roll: Politics is the only reason I hate going onto Facebook or Twitter.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 pm

No doubt investments have been made in facilities on main campus (and in athletics to be fair…second tier is likely not fair). We just don’t have many reputable and investment-grade programs that fill those buildings.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

It's absolutely amazing what a bubble you guys live in sometimes.

I'm fairly active in some pretty large CFB forums and groups...and this bowl was by and large considered to be entertaining and a breath of fresh air to college football fans.

There's game and post-game threads with literally hundreds of users posting in them and 95% of the comments regarding the commentary and presentation are positive. Even Wyoming fans liked it.

It's literally this forum and any Wyoming-centric Facebook pages (which are a known dumpster fire anyway) that are whining this much about it.

Major boomer energy going on right now, lmao.

Edit: What's super funny to me is that everyone always complains about a broadcast team no matter what. Every single game. No matter who it is. Barstool does something different, a little more casual, to try to break the mold and make a bowl game fun...and you people lose your minds. Lmao.

As for all the gimmicky poop and the little games and whatnot...y'all know that almost every bowl has a ton of poop like that, right? It's just not all televised.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Different is usually good, unless u are at Medocre U??? It was interesting to say the least. Would love to have seen the bottom line ledger on this trip
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LawPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:32 pm An FCS playoff game would actually have been serious. That was a ridiculous sham of a game broadcast and game. Felt like XFL. Embarrassing.

We should never agree to play in that game again. We look like chumps.
Disagree to the max. Very entertaining.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

You are so out of touch. School of Energy Resources literally leads the country in carbon capture and storage research and is the envy of the world in this area…not to mention all of its research in other areas such as hydrogen, nuclear, coal products, etc.

If you hate UW this much, then why are you here?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:13 pm It's absolutely amazing what a bubble you guys live in sometimes.

I'm fairly active in some pretty large CFB forums and groups...and this bowl was by and large considered to be entertaining and a breath of fresh air to college football fans.

There's game and post-game threads with literally hundreds of users posting in them and 95% of the comments regarding the commentary and presentation are positive. Even Wyoming fans liked it.

It's literally this forum and any Wyoming-centric Facebook pages (which are a known dumpster fire anyway) that are whining this much about it.

Edit: What's super funny to me is that everyone always complains about a broadcast team no matter what. Every single game. No matter who it is. Barstool does something different, a little more casual, to try to break the mold and make a bowl game fun...and you people lose your minds. Lmao.

As for all the gimmicky Sh#t and the little games and whatnot...y'all know that almost every bowl has a ton of Sh#t like that, right? It's just not all televised.
You had me up until the "boomer" comment. No generation has been more f-word up and unaccountable than the boomer generational offspring that is the millennials. You'd do well dropping the holier-than-thou tone (ANYONE can write) and looking in the mirror while thinking about history (or what you think you know of it). IF you can actually think.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I was actually pretty happy with the game, overall. Would have much rather won, of course.

The broadcast got irritating. I love smack talk and hyperbole as much as the next guy. Heck, I even wear out my millenial coworkers at times with it. But even the "cast" was getting tired of their schtick by the 3rd quarter. Later, rinse, repeat on every joke, the trainer-pushed-the-fat-guy (funny the first 3 times they showed it), the coin flip, the "best XXXX in the history of the Arizona bowl"...It's like they stayed too long at their friend's party. And their homegrown ads were painful to see over and over again, even though if I saw them once on a social media site I would probably laugh.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LawPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:33 pm
wrxman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:28 pm Man, what would've you rather watched, a super serious ESPN announcer or these barstool announcers?! Barstool was far better and everybody kept laughing thier asses off throughout the broadcast. Forget the big networks, production quality was good enough and this was totally free (plus all the proceeds went to charity). Bring on barstool!
Standard Wyoming response. It was “good enough” and “free”.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:45 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:13 pm It's absolutely amazing what a bubble you guys live in sometimes.

As for all the gimmicky Sh#t and the little games and whatnot...y'all know that almost every bowl has a ton of Sh#t like that, right? It's just not all televised.
You had me up until the "boomer" comment. No generation has been more f##k[#] up and unaccountable than the boomer generational offspring that is the millennials. You'd do well dropping the holier-than-thou tone (ANYONE can write) and looking in the mirror while thinking about history (or what you think you know of it). IF you can actually think.
Love it, 💯 %. I was going to respond but you did a much better retort.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I found the 1st quarter of the broadcast hilarious and highly entertaining. Then, it got repetitive and irritating when all they did was bicker back and forth at each other like drunk roommates and replay the tee guy getting pushed down for the 50th time. I was also very bugged that during crucial 4th quarter moments in a tight game, they made sure the camera was on themselves in the booth. Game has got to come first, the fraternity shenanigans second.

The idea is great. The execution was not.

By the end, I was wishing I was listening to professional broadcasters and not the DIY variety.

I'm in my 30s, don't call me a Boomer. ha
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I got to meet PFTCommenter and Hank.. so I'm pretty pumped about that. Love Pardon My Take, so this was a pretty good trip for me. Got to hang with some WyoNation peeps, discovered how small of a world Wyoming is, and had way too many tacos.
ImageImageImageImage
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:45 am

You had me up until the "boomer" comment. No generation has been more f##k[#] up and unaccountable than the boomer generational offspring that is the millennials. You'd do well dropping the holier-than-thou tone (ANYONE can write) and looking in the mirror while thinking about history (or what you think you know of it). IF you can actually think.
Lol, a hit dog always yelps, as they say.

Besides....you do realize most millennials are pushing 40, right? The vast majority of your gripes...both real and perceived...are Gen Z, not us.

Gen X and most Millennials are the ones stuck in the middle of the poop sandwhich between what Boomers f-word up and what Zoomers have no clue how to function in, all while getting poop on from both sides for just trying to survive through it all and have some basic level of decency.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:34 am
LawPoke wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:32 pm An FCS playoff game would actually have been serious. That was a ridiculous sham of a game broadcast and game. Felt like XFL. Embarrassing.

We should never agree to play in that game again. We look like chumps.
And isn't entertainment what we're all looking for? I'm as invested in Wyoming football as anyone (both emotionally and financially), but the bottom line is sports are entertainment. No more, no less. It's like going to the movies or a concert, but with less predictability. Entertainment products should be first and foremost entertaining, which coincidentally is why we're so fed up with the boring and ineffective offense we've been running for roughly a decade now.

I liked the broadcast, as did most people I've spoken with. There have been a few that hated it, but for the most part people saw it for what it was: a company trying something new to be more entertaining.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:44 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:34 am

And isn't entertainment what we're all looking for? I'm as invested in Wyoming football as anyone (both emotionally and financially), but the bottom line is sports are entertainment. No more, no less. It's like going to the movies or a concert, but with less predictability. Entertainment products should be first and foremost entertaining, which coincidentally is why we're so fed up with the boring and ineffective offense we've been running for roughly a decade now.

I liked the broadcast, as did most people I've spoken with. There have been a few that hated it, but for the most part people saw it for what it was: a company trying something new to be more entertaining.
Sports is not entertainment. It's a competition. The player's focus is on winning, not making sure that you're entertained. I go to a cross country race to watch runners run. Some may find it boring as hell. They don't care what you think. They focus on how to run fast enough to cross the line before their fellow competitors. The fact is: had the score of the game been 50-0, no one would be watching because the game was not competitive. And if we were winning conference championships with a "boring and ineffective" offense, I wouldn't care. The outcome of the game is what I'm concerned with.