Is Bohl Still Our Head Coach?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wypoke
Buckaroo

Chirp, chirp, chirp...it has been crickets since
The debacle at Fresno State
Departure of Ian McGrew, director of recruiting
Titus Swen dismissal
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

That's because there's nothing to say. Do you REALLY think they're going to can Bohl after this season? REALLY? I'm as frustrated as any Cowboys fan with the string of mediocrity, but it's a hell of a lot better than the years of sub-.500 football since Dimel left.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:46 am That's because there's nothing to say. Do you REALLY think they're going to can Bohl after this season? REALLY? I'm as frustrated as any Cowboys fan with the string of mediocrity, but it's a hell of a lot better than the years of sub-.500 football since Dimel left.
So you're saying it's, "good enough"?
I'm beginning to think that should be the new state motto. Lots of people around here with a "good enough" chip on their shoulder. "If it's good enough for me, it should be good enough for thee." Say otherwise and you're called "uppity".
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:05 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:46 am That's because there's nothing to say. Do you REALLY think they're going to can Bohl after this season? REALLY? I'm as frustrated as any Cowboys fan with the string of mediocrity, but it's a hell of a lot better than the years of sub-.500 football since Dimel left.
I'm beginning to think that should be the new state motto. Lots of people around here with a "good enough" chip on their shoulder. "If it's good enough for me, it should be good enough for thee." Say otherwise and you're called "uppity".
The point he is making that since Dimel Wyoming football has not seen much success. Bohl has at least brought us up from the depths of the bottom but may have hit his ceiling, we just don't know. From my observations we don't have much more talent on the roster than Vic/Glenn/DC years but somehow Bohl has found a way to win. Yeah it's boring football but usually keeps the games within reach.

It will be interesting to see how the Deion does in Colorado. You couldn't get much more rock bottom than CU. Not sure Prime time is a good fit but I certainly don't blame for trying because what they were doing wasn't working.
I'm good for 3!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:18 am
The point he is making that since Dimel Wyoming football has not seen much success. Bohl has at least brought us up from the depths of the bottom but may have hit his ceiling, we just don't know. From my observations we don't have much more talent on the roster than Vic/Glenn/DC years but somehow Bohl has found a way to win. Yeah it's boring football but usually keeps the games within reach.

It will be interesting to see how the Deion does in Colorado. You couldn't get much more rock bottom than CU. Not sure Prime time is a good fit but I certainly don't blame for trying because what they were doing wasn't working.
I will go on record as saying that Prime will be a flop in Boulder. His schtick works where he is the main name in the game - where he can recruit using only his name and simply having better athletes is enough to win league titles. In a P5 conference - he will have to get players AND coach them at a high level against the some of the best coaches and talent in the country. I might be wrong - we will see soon enough. The initial press accounts from Boulder are...interesting.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

This chest-beating about accepting mediocrity is sooooo old.

Is anybody really happy about this year football season? Anybody? Just because we are not devastated does not mean anybody is content with the results. I personally want change at the helm in Laramie but I'm pretty sure that we get worse, not better, if the transition from Bohl is not done well.

Not only were this season's results "good enough"...they exceeded the smart money expectations for this team fairly considerably. The over/under on win totals for Wyoming this year was 5...which was my prediction before seeing that. If I had to take over or under I would have gone under. Anybody that picked Wyoming to have 7 wins this year, in my opinion, must be a huge Bohl believer or has heavily tinted brown and gold glasses because the personnel is not great on paper. Kudos to Bohl for that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:55 am

Is anybody really happy about this year football season? Anybody? Just because we are not devastated does not mean anybody is content with the results. I personally want change at the helm in Laramie but I'm pretty sure that we get worse, not better, if the transition from Bohl is not done well.

Not only were this season's results "good enough"...they exceeded the smart money expectations for this team fairly considerably. The over/under on win totals for Wyoming this year was 5...which was my prediction before seeing that. If I had to take over or under I would have gone under. Anybody that picked Wyoming to have 7 wins this year, in my opinion, must be a huge Bohl believer or has heavily tinted brown and gold glasses because the personnel is not great on paper. Kudos to Bohl for that.
Agree fully. No one here dreams of 7-5 seasons. But the fact of the matter is that Bohl and staff overachieved with a really young roster this year. Next year, there will be more expectations. If we have a poor season next year or see a repeat/trend of last’s year mass exodus, then we must evaluate what direction to go with the coaching staff.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Looking at the number of vacancies that are currently open and the others that may still become open, this might not be the best year to be looking for a coach. My guess is that Oredigger is right, next year will tell the tale. Youth will not be an excuse. The conference is not great and will be down even more next year with Fresno, Boise and AFA graduating significant parts of their rosters.

If it was up to me, I would get a new WR coach...but clearly Grant has naked pictures of Bohl, so that isn't likely.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'm not thrilled with the season, but it's acceptable. Sure would be nice to achieve more.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:49 am I'm not thrilled with the season, but it's acceptable. Sure would be nice to achieve more.
Exactly...+100
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Short memories on this board. It wasn’t that long ago, we had a pile of dudes transfer and the board was screaming about 3-4 wins. Over performed with 3rd youngest team in county. I’ll take it
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:35 am

I will go on record as saying that Prime will be a flop in Boulder. His schtick works where he is the main name in the game - where he can recruit using only his name and simply having better athletes is enough to win league titles. In a P5 conference - he will have to get players AND coach them at a high level against the some of the best coaches and talent in the country. I might be wrong - we will see soon enough. The initial press accounts from Boulder are...interesting.
In todays world of NIL and the portal Sanders will be able to compete for the conference title almost immediately. CU has the resource($) and name recognition to get more than few high profile players to go there. The PAC 12 is not the SEC or Big 10, CU will have to beat 3 or 4 teams -USC, Utah, Oregon and maybe UCLA or Washington- to win the conference. Hard but a lot easier than taking the Auburn job and trying to win there.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm

In todays world of NIL and the portal Sanders will be able to compete for the conference title almost immediately. CU has the resource($) and name recognition to get more than few high profile players to go there. The PAC 12 is not the SEC or Big 10, CU will have to beat 3 or 4 teams -USC, Utah, Oregon and maybe UCLA or Washington- to win the conference. Hard but a lot easier than taking the Auburn job and trying to win there.
College football has always been a huge popularity contest and Sanders and his persona will flourish wherever he goes with the transfer portal and NIL situation now as long as the university doesn't impede him (and it appears that Colorado is coming out of the dark ages with transfer restrictions). He will get into every living room that he wants. If there are recruits that don't know who he is or was, all of their parents will remember him.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Bohl and Burman have always been pretty quiet at the end of seasons, even if there's a bowl game and even if there's massive questions/issues lingering.

But also, I think I saw something where Bohl had flight issues and wasn't able to make a planned press conference this week? Don't recall specifics.

Anyway, I will say that unfortunately...even in the rare case that Bohl does retire now....we lost our shot at Jay Hill. :/ BYU finally snagged him up and handed him a massive bag to be their DC. Lol.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm

They got the Kent St head coach to be OC, and Mike Zimmer is rumored to be the DC. So seems like they will be well coached too. Who knows what will happen, but it's going to be fun to watch
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:55 am

Agree 307, and……. If Bohl could just change up the offense a bit “Im in”. The one thing most can’t argue is Wyoming has pretty good defenses under Bohl. We’ve become linebacker U, and I think Gibbs has a shot. Seems like he’s following in the Wilson Muma direction.

Here’s the fact, if we get a new coach, with any success, we’re looking for a new one within a few years. Just the fact…….
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

I actually believe Prime Time will do alright there. May take a couple of years. He knows football, he does run a disciplined program (watch his YouTube meetings). Like the introduction in Boulder, he started setting expectations right then. Not saying I’m a fan……..I just think he’ll build a program………
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:30 am

I actually believe Prime Time will do alright there. May take a couple of years. He knows football, he does run a disciplined program (watch his YouTube meetings). Like the introduction in Boulder, he started setting expectations right then. Not saying I’m a fan……..I just think he’ll build a program………
Prime time may very well re-define how head college football coach's operate in the new era of CFB with the portal and NIL. No matter what happens it sure will be fun to watch.

Perhaps Wyoming should look into Ocho Cinco for head coach :lol:
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:30 am

Prime time may very well re-define how head college football coach's operate in the new era of CFB with the portal and NIL. No matter what happens it sure will be fun to watch.

Hell yea!

One thing about Prime Time - is that he is clearly a smart guy because he surrounds himself with very experienced and competent coaches. He is bringing a solid staff along. Have a flashy and attention grabbing head coach to bring in the players, dollars and media attention and a really competent staff to coach them up.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:09 am
Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am

Hell yea!

One thing about Prime Time - is that he is clearly a smart guy because he surrounds himself with very experienced and competent coaches. He is bringing a solid staff along. Have a flashy and attention grabbing head coach to bring in the players, dollars and media attention and a really competent staff to coach them up.
Prime is the closer on player recruitment and signings. The other stuff he is delegating to qualified assistants.