What most of you don't understand is

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Complimentary football. I'm as pissed as anyone about the QB and WR play, but many of you want to go back to a spread, hurry up, or run n gun offense. Well that sounds all fine and dandy if you want to lose games 56-46 instead of 20-17. We have a good defense and running game. The problem is the WR and QB spot. I like the TE Welch though. Peasley was just good enuf to win some games this year, Clemons should never see a D1 field. So back to complimentary football. The run game compliments the defense and let's them rest. Quick three and outs will kill a good defense. Run the ball, run the clock, get a capable WR or two and a capable QB and you have a winning recipe. Bohl is a damn good coach. Outside of his end of half clock management I like his style. I'm surprised this team has won 7 games, but truthfully this whole league is poop this year. If we had Neyor and Williams and the rest of the transfer losses we would have finally won the MWC this year. The league is complete garbage and if we can't figure out the portal then it's over. The classic example of the complimentary football was TCU under Patterson. Helluva defense and running game. Then he goes to the big 12 and thinks he needs to change his offense to an up tempo offense. Well it works for a very short time and then the defense wears out because they are on the field twice as long and pretty soon the better players and teams are kicking your ass again... OU Texas etc... And Patterson gets fired. I knew when he changed his offense exactly what was going to happen and it did. So what we really need is just a better QB and WRS that can get open and catch the ball. If we change to up tempo spread we will suck again for a long time. But hey, atleast we will score more points!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Competent passing game doesn't mean spread, run-n-gun, etc. It just means being able to field a two dimensional offense. Sick of the strawman argument.

I thought bsu game was OK. I'd be interested to know if last pass was a bad call or a safety shot the qb misread something. My hunch is the latter.

Bohl did well this year. His passing offense is still unacceptable. He has done well in every other aspect of the game. He'd be borderline legendary if he could figure out a 2 dimensional offense or at least a threat of one.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm I thought bsu game was OK. I'd be interested to know if last pass was a bad call or a safety shot the qb misread something. My hunch is the latter.
Agreed, I very highly doubt the playcall was a 1st down hail mary, throw it no matter how many Boise players are in the end zone waiting for the pass, haha
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

If we had even the passing game we had the first three years Bohl coached our team, we sucked btw, we would be conference champs this year . The passing attacks led by Kierkegaard and Coffman were way better than what we’ve had the last four years. It shouldn’t be too much to ask
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:42 am If we had even the passing game we had the first three years Bohl coached our team, we sucked btw, we would be conference champs this year . The passing attacks led by Kierkegaard and Coffman were way better than what we’ve had the last four years. It shouldn’t be too much to ask
This is probably right. Our D wasnt as good.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Complimentary football is the opposite of what Bohl has going on with the current passing game. 150 yards a game passing isn’t asking too much. Being ranked in the bottom of the nation is not a good thing.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm Competent passing game doesn't mean spread, run-n-gun, etc. It just means being able to field a two dimensional offense. Sick of the strawman argument.
Ding, ding, ding. Not sure why it's so hard to understand that having a passing game doesn't equal a spread offense.

There is a solution out there between the spread offense and the 30 yards passing we had for the entire game last week. Multiple games this year have been under 100 yards passing. Asking for a competent passing game plan to regularly get over 100 yards in a game is not the same as changing the whole offensive plan to a spread or run and shoot offense.

Also towards the OP's TCU argument, they are on the cusp of the college football playoff this year and have the 25th best passing offense in the nation. Wyoming is 125th out of 131 total. I think there is some realm out there where we could be the 75th passing offense and still have the offensive identity but probably add 2 or 3 more wins a year. Our time of possession (Bohls golden reason for this offense, to give the defense rest) is 75th of 131 teams. Not exactly achieving the goal of this offense
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

Through 11 games some offensive ranks this year (out of 131 teams):

Rushing offense: 29th
Passing offense: 125th
Total offense: 113th
Scoring offense: 102nd
Time of Possession: 75th
3rd down Conversion percentage: 103rd
4th down Conversion percentage: 122nd
First downs offense: 123rd
Passing yards per completion: 92nd
Red zone offense: 10th (thank you Hoyland)
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

And that’s with some real heavyweights on the schedule (sarcasm). UNC, CSU, Hawaii, New Mexico…our offensive struggles against the teams we play are not the same as say Iowas struggles against the teams they play.

The Ops argument is the same silly straw man we’ve heard for 9 years.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

Craig Bohl is 14-39 versus teams with a winning record. That is a 25% winning percentage and is unacceptable. He has built good special teams, a good defense and a good running game. Yet, the lack of the running game that should be EASY when you run the ball as well as we do has cost us dearly. He "re-engineered" the offense once Vigen left but our passing numbers and points per game are all worse than they were before. If the passing game was important to Bohl this problem would have been fixed but he decided to hire an OC he worked with before at NDSU and was the OL at a school (Iowa) that has one of the few offenses as bad as ours.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

Wicks wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:49 pm Craig Bohl is 14-39 versus teams with a winning record. That is a 25% winning percentage and is unacceptable. He has built good special teams, a good defense and a good running game. Yet, the lack of the running game that should be EASY when you run the ball as well as we do has cost us dearly. He "re-engineered" the offense once Vigen left but our passing numbers and points per game are all worse than they were before. If the passing game was important to Bohl this problem would have been fixed but he decided to hire an OC he worked with before at NDSU and was the OL coach at a school (Iowa) that has one of the few offenses as bad as ours.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I, too, am ridiculously tired of this strawman.

We're not asking for an Air Raid offense a la Mike Leach.

We're asking for an offense that doesn't rank at or towards the bottom of the entire FBS in multiple categories, while stunting the development of numerous QBs and WRs, year after year.

That's not "complimentary football"; stop regurgitating the term just because you heard Aaron Taylor say it a few times during the BSU game.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

I agree with what issues are being presented, the run game is fine with a competent passing game. What I mean is, throwing the ball once in a series of downs does not constitute a passing offense. The idea is to change the pattern of what you are doing. You can go down the field running 70% each time. 1 series you have do pass 80% or better to throw the other team off. You need to star he game throwing, each series has to be different. Hat s or problem, we come out run, pass,run or. Run, run, pass, punt. It’s everytime we get the ball, occasionally they get a break and we score. Not often.

GO POKES
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Where your arguments fail is when we look at the facts. There are multiple teams who don't have a passing game ie... Air Force.... and they win games without even attempting a pass. So yes your argument fails. I could leave it there but I'll go further. Now the difference is, when we decide to pass we have some dumbass throwing the ball to the other team instead of throwing it away. Other argument fails... Comparing this year's TCu team with a new coach to the team I was talking about with Patterson=fail. but I knew someone would bring it up lol. Also complimentary football is where the offense runs the clock and let's the defense rest, because the defense is the strength of the team. It's how you shorten the game. We don't have the personnel to throw any passes. Clemons is poop. Recruiting must be better, that's the bottom line. Play calling, strategy, and coaching is way above average. This team has no business in a bowl game, but here we are.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

okcwyocowboy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:14 pm Complimentary football. I'm as pissed as anyone about the QB and WR play, but many of you want to go back to a spread, hurry up, or run n gun offense. Well that sounds all fine and dandy if you want to lose games 56-46 instead of 20-17. We have a good defense and running game. The problem is the WR and QB spot. I like the TE Welch though. Peasley was just good enuf to win some games this year, Clemons should never see a D1 field. So back to complimentary football. The run game compliments the defense and let's them rest. Quick three and outs will kill a good defense. Run the ball, run the clock, get a capable WR or two and a capable QB and you have a winning recipe. Bohl is a damn good coach. Outside of his end of half clock management I like his style. I'm surprised this team has won 7 games, but truthfully this whole league is Sh#t this year. If we had Neyor and Williams and the rest of the transfer losses we would have finally won the MWC this year. The league is complete garbage and if we can't figure out the portal then it's over. The classic example of the complimentary football was TCU under Patterson. Helluva defense and running game. Then he goes to the big 12 and thinks he needs to change his offense to an up tempo offense. Well it works for a very short time and then the defense wears out because they are on the field twice as long and pretty soon the better players and teams are kicking your A$$ again... OU Texas etc... And Patterson gets fired. I knew when he changed his offense exactly what was going to happen and it did. So what we really need is just a better QB and WRS that can get open and catch the ball. If we change to up tempo spread we will suck again for a long time. But hey, atleast we will score more points!!!!
What we have seen is exactly what you mentioned, run, run long pass punt. It has been keeping our D on the field for far too much time. We’ve complained for years the offense is too predictable and easy to defend. We’ve done far better in games when we came out with a different look.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

okcwyocowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:16 am Where your arguments fail is when we look at the facts. There are multiple teams who don't have a passing game ie... Air Force.... and they win games without even attempting a pass. So yes your argument fails. I could leave it there but I'll go further. Now the difference is, when we decide to pass we have some dumbass throwing the ball to the other team instead of throwing it away. Other argument fails... Comparing this year's TCu team with a new coach to the team I was talking about with Patterson=fail. but I knew someone would bring it up lol. Also complimentary football is where the offense runs the clock and let's the defense rest, because the defense is the strength of the team. It's how you shorten the game. We don't have the personnel to throw any passes. Clemons is Sh#t. Recruiting must be better, that's the bottom line. Play calling, strategy, and coaching is way above average. This team has no business in a bowl game, but here we are.
I have never seen a game where AFA hasn’t thrown a pass.

Below are their passing stats, which aren’t huge, but they can and do, have a passing game. They can kill you with a pass when not expected and the defense is sucked up protecting the run.

ATT-CMP-INT 77-36-2
AVG/ATT - 10.38
AVG/G - 72.64
TDS - 7
TOT - 799
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 am
okcwyocowboy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:14 pm Complimentary football. I'm as pissed as anyone about the QB and WR play, but many of you want to go back to a spread, hurry up, or run n gun offense. Well that sounds all fine and dandy if you want to lose games 56-46 instead of 20-17. We have a good defense and running game. The problem is the WR and QB spot. I like the TE Welch though. Peasley was just good enuf to win some games this year, Clemons should never see a D1 field. So back to complimentary football. The run game compliments the defense and let's them rest. Quick three and outs will kill a good defense. Run the ball, run the clock, get a capable WR or two and a capable QB and you have a winning recipe. Bohl is a damn good coach. Outside of his end of half clock management I like his style. I'm surprised this team has won 7 games, but truthfully this whole league is Sh#t this year. If we had Neyor and Williams and the rest of the transfer losses we would have finally won the MWC this year. The league is complete garbage and if we can't figure out the portal then it's over. The classic example of the complimentary football was TCU under Patterson. Helluva defense and running game. Then he goes to the big 12 and thinks he needs to change his offense to an up tempo offense. Well it works for a very short time and then the defense wears out because they are on the field twice as long and pretty soon the better players and teams are kicking your A$$ again... OU Texas etc... And Patterson gets fired. I knew when he changed his offense exactly what was going to happen and it did. So what we really need is just a better QB and WRS that can get open and catch the ball. If we change to up tempo spread we will suck again for a long time. But hey, atleast we will score more points!!!!
What we have seen is exactly what you mentioned, run, run long pass punt. It has been keeping our D on the field for far too much time. We’ve complained for years the offense is too predictable and easy to defend. We’ve done far better in games when we came out with a different look.
I could argue that with this personnel we need to abandon the pass altogether. We had 6 passes not hit the ground, 3 to our players and 3 to Boise's. Without those three ints we beat Boise. I'd suggest run run run and then maybe run again on 4th and short. This team cannot pass so quit trying.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

okcwyocowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:34 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 am

I could argue that with this personnel we need to abandon the pass altogether. We had 6 passes not hit the ground, 3 to our players and 3 to Boise's. Without those three ints we beat Boise. I'd suggest run run run and then maybe run again on 4th and short. This team cannot pass so quit trying.
I understood your original post to be, that our offense is a great thing, and better than a spread, etc, because it gives our D a chance to rest. I guess I’m seeing something different.
okcwyocowboy
Buckaroo

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:30 am
okcwyocowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:16 am Where your arguments fail is when we look at the facts. There are multiple teams who don't have a passing game ie... Air Force.... and they win games without even attempting a pass. So yes your argument fails. I could leave it there but I'll go further. Now the difference is, when we decide to pass we have some dumbass throwing the ball to the other team instead of throwing it away. Other argument fails... Comparing this year's TCu team with a new coach to the team I was talking about with Patterson=fail. but I knew someone would bring it up lol. Also complimentary football is where the offense runs the clock and let's the defense rest, because the defense is the strength of the team. It's how you shorten the game. We don't have the personnel to throw any passes. Clemons is Sh#t. Recruiting must be better, that's the bottom line. Play calling, strategy, and coaching is way above average. This team has no business in a bowl game, but here we are.

Below are their passing stats, which aren’t huge, but they can and do, have a passing game. They can kill you with a pass when not expected and the defense is sucked up protecting the run.

ATT-CMP-INT 77-36-2
AVG/ATT - 10.38
AVG/G - 72.64
TDS - 7
TOT - 799
They must be having a good passing year in their books. 46% completion. 72 yards per game. I've watched many games where air force throws and completes less than 5 passes a game AND WINS! Pretty sure they kicked our ass a couple years ago only completing a couple passes. Hell we arguably beat Boise last week with only 2 completions, but nooooo we had to throw the game away with a pass.
Last edited by okcwyocowboy on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

okcwyocowboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:27 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:30 am

ATT-CMP-INT 77-36-2
AVG/ATT - 10.38
AVG/G - 72.64
TDS - 7
TOT - 799
They must be having a good passing year in their books. 46% completion. 72 yards per game. I've watched many games where air force throws and completes less than 5 passes a game AND WINS! Pretty sure they kicked our A$$ a couple years ago only completing a couple passes.
Idk, it’s a response to your comments - “Where your arguments fail is when we look at the facts. There are multiple teams who don't have a passing game ie... Air Force.... and they win games without even attempting a pass.”