Setting up for the letdown?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:51 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 am

You have to question his rotations and what he was trying to do. Dusell may be hitting the transfer portal.
I’ve worried about this with the depth, and who isn’t getting playing time.
If I were DuSell I’d be saying F this
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:21 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:51 pm

I’ve worried about this with the depth, and who isn’t getting playing time.
He may, and I wouldn't blame him.

Did he get passed up on the depth chart from the additions, likely. Performance is rewarded with playing time.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:55 pm

Did he get passed up on the depth chart from the additions, likely. Performance is rewarded with playing time.
Then watch those guys that passed him up brick a bunch of threes and lose to SE Louisiana. Ugh
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

DuSell was the 'starter' for the season opener against Colorado Christian. Then he proceeded to be subbed out first and get about 5 total minutes that game and roughly the same in the following 2 games. It makes no sense. If he was passed up from the additions, then why did he start the season opener? And how could his extremely limited game performance have much bearing at all on where he stands in the rotations?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:55 am

DuSell was the 'starter' for the season opener against Colorado Christian. Then he proceeded to be subbed out first and get about 5 total minutes that game and roughly the same in the following 2 games. It makes no sense. If he was passed up from the additions, then why did he start the season opener? And how could his extremely limited game performance have much bearing at all on where he stands in the rotations?
Easy answer on why he started the opener...he was the starter in 2021/2022 at the end of the season, and was one of a handful that had starting experience going into the opener. That, and it was against poop competition, so there is that as well.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:09 pm

Then watch those guys that passed him up brick a bunch of threes and lose to SE Louisiana. Ugh
Very true, but DuSell wasn't lights out last year, especially the last part of the year...averaging right around 7.5 points per game, to go with 3 PF's and 1 TO.
Dear Karma,

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

X has to want it, show he's important to this team and do things within his ability. No where to start but in the Virgin Islands...time to shine X, get er done
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

You were right: huge potential for let down because of the injury.

Our d is playing terrible right now. We need to get that fixed or the season will go off the rails.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Well, with what is looking like a double digit loss to Boston College we now have two horrible losses on our resume. If those were the only two maybe the committee gives us the benefit of doubt of having injuries, but i doubt they will be the only ones. Hard to put into words how disappointing this is.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

So much for depth………wow!! Pretty disappointing.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I couldn’t watch the game. How did Maldo have 0 points on 0-1 shooting!?!?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:50 pm I couldn’t watch the game. How did Maldo have 0 points on 0-1 shooting!?!?
He took a knee in the back of the head. Looked painful and they said he was actually bleeding. He came back to sit on the end of the bench but never came back in.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:56 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:50 pm I couldn’t watch the game. How did Maldo have 0 points on 0-1 shooting!?!?
He took a knee in the back of the head. Looked painful and they said he was actually bleeding. He came back to sit on the end of the bench but never came back in.
Damn, hopefully he will recover. Do you know why Max didn’t play at all?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

As to Max, probably in coach's doghouse, as i feel will be full by most of our players this year(but i really don't know)
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Watching the first half of SDSU vs Arizona. Virtually the same in terms of physicality and athleticism but Arizona is better at putting the ball in the basket..... Based on the games on watched Wyoming play... We would have more turnovers than rebounds against either team. The new players on the cowboys this year are just not at the level that could compete with those guys.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

The interesting thing is we only lost Drake Jefferies and some seldom used bench players from last years squad. So I'm thinking the chemistry and added depth is something that this team is struggling with, not to mention 1 potential POY in Mr. Graham Ike and Hunter Maldo going down last nite...let's see how many other teams in the MWC fare w/o their big 2?
andersonj
Buckaroo

I don't know all of the details but I do know that Ike's high post defense is a strength few bigs can match. He moves quickly and decisively to cut-off the player driving and then (with hands up) slides back to guard the big. Since many teams use the high post pick-and-roll, Ike is critical to defending that part of the game. Also, Drake Jeffries was very quick and could guard quite well, as well as rebound (great vertical) and hit threes. Those qualities are not so easy to replace. When you add four new players to the rotation things get messy. Coach Linder also has to deal with Maldonado pressing his offensive game, so it is tough. Give the coach time to work through all of these issues and then judge. Until then, I am staying patient.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

andersonj wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:48 pm I don't know all of the details but I do know that Ike's high post defense is a strength few bigs can match. He moves quickly and decisively to cut-off the player driving and then (with hands up) slides back to guard the big. Since many teams use the high post pick-and-roll, Ike is critical to defending that part of the game. Also, Drake Jeffries was very quick and could guard quite well, as well as rebound (great vertical) and hit threes. Those qualities are not so easy to replace. When you add four new players to the rotation things get messy. Coach Linder also has to deal with Maldonado pressing his offensive game, so it is tough. Give the coach time to work through all of these issues and then judge. Until then, I am staying patient.
Yeah...I think all of our dreams of this being a "dream" season were a bit misplaced from the beginning, particularly once Ike's injury status was revealed. This years squad could still be really good when it counts in Feb/March though. The road to a really good season now is one that involves a top-two finish in conference with an MWC tourney victory or a nail-biter selection Sunday at-large bid.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Another game another loss
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:26 pm Another game another loss
I know the team is missing pieces, but I would have bet my life it wouldn't be 3-4 at this point in the season. What a huge disappointment so far.