New coach picks

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am I read one post on the CU message board after the Dorrell firing that CU won't rest until they're paying 6 coaches simultaneously. It shows how hard it is to find the right guy.
CU is a very complicated situation and in no way comparable to what UW is or isn't capable of.

It's fairly well known that after the scandals in the late 90s and early 2000s, the CU administration very deliberately put football on the back burner and heavily handicapped the program.

Also, Rick George is almost universally thought to be a terrible AD...and I don't mean they way people on here whine about Burman. I mean, legitimately bad all the way around.

Mel Tucker left CU in the middle of the night and handicapped the program further, and Dorrell was a terrible hire with a terrible contract who then made even more terrible hires to his staff (such as Mike Sanford, who somehow keeps embodying the phrase "failing upwards").

That program has been a disaster from the top down for many years and for multiple reasons.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

I could be talked into Jay Hill pretty easily I think. That poster has made a strong argument.

But speaking of P5 assistant's, what about Georgia's OC, Todd Monken? His brother has done a terrific job at West Point the last 7-8 years, even though the Black Knights are having a bad season currently.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:49 am As much as I like the idea of finding a young(ish), established, and winning FBS head coach to take over the program...those candidates aren't looking at MWC as an upgrade and especially not looking at UW as an upgrade. They're going P5. No harm in trying, but those interested in the UW job are up and coming coordinators looking for their first gig or FCS guys. That's just the reality of the situation.
poop. Someone making $500k in the Sun Belt is going to be thrilled at $2M+ in the MWC, no to mention the upgrade in facilities...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Maybe the problem isn't just the coaches, but the AD who selects, hires, extends said coaches. Moon took over in 1996, Tiller's last year. He hired Dimel (.657 winning percentage), Koenning (.147 winning percentage) and Glenn (.423 winning percentage). Moon leaves, and in come Tommy boy. He fires Glenn, and hires Christensen (.435 winning percentage) and Bohl (.474 winning percentage). Other than Dimel, not exactly a sterling job selecting coaches.

I've been following Wyoming since the 1950's, so I've seen the coming and going of these guys -
Phil Dickens
Bob Devaney - Two national championships
Lloyd Eaton - Great coach, but not a great human being
Fritz Shurmer - He won a super bowl with the Packers as their defensive coordinator
Fred Akers - Undefeated in 1977 and 1983 but lost the championship game in both those years
Bill Lewis (not a good coach) - Did win a national championship at Georgia in 1980 as defensive coordinator
Pat Dye - In the college football hall of fame as a coach - 153–62–5 in his college coaching career
Al Kincaid - He would have fit right in with the hires of today
Dennis Erickson - Won two national championships at Miami
Paul Roach - Wyoming legend
Joe TIller - Another Wyoming legend

My point is, prior to Moon, Wyoming did a good job of finding talent. While they couldn't keep them, they still hired coaches (most of them) that went on to be great. Since Moon and Burman, Wyoming has sucked. Perhaps it's the current climate in college football, or just bad AD's, but things used to be a lot different. Pointing to Bohl's teams going to bowl games is a bit of reach...considering there are now 40+ bowl games and it's almost like a participation trophy. Bohl's teams would never have gone to any bowl game prior to 2000 (look at Tiller's team). Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a new AD, and some fresh perspective on what has become a mediocre poop show in Laramie. :twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:51 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:49 am As much as I like the idea of finding a young(ish), established, and winning FBS head coach to take over the program...those candidates aren't looking at MWC as an upgrade and especially not looking at UW as an upgrade. They're going P5. No harm in trying, but those interested in the UW job are up and coming coordinators looking for their first gig or FCS guys. That's just the reality of the situation.
poop. Someone making $500k in the Sun Belt is going to be thrilled at $2M+ in the MWC, no to mention the upgrade in facilities...
Thought the same thing. Hell, any HC in any G5 conference making < $1,000,000 at the current position, would salivate at WYO facilities and salary.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

CowboyNV wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 am Maybe the problem isn't just the coaches, but the AD who selects, hires, extends said coaches. Moon took over in 1996, Tiller's last year. He hired Dimel (.657 winning percentage), Koenning (.147 winning percentage) and Glenn (.423 winning percentage). Moon leaves, and in come Tommy boy. He fires Glenn, and hires Christensen (.435 winning percentage) and Bohl (.474 winning percentage). Other than Dimel, not exactly a sterling job selecting coaches.

I've been following Wyoming since the 1950's, so I've seen the coming and going of these guys -
Phil Dickens
Fritz Shurmer - He won a super bowl with the Packers as their defensive coordinator
Fred Akers - Undefeated in 1977 and 1983 but lost the championship game in both those years
Bill Lewis (not a good coach) - Did win a national championship at Georgia in 1980 as defensive coordinator
Pat Dye - In the college football hall of fame as a coach - 153–62–5 in his college coaching career

My point is, prior to Moon, Wyoming did a good job of finding talent. While they couldn't keep them, they still hired coaches (most of them) that went on to be great. Since Moon and Burman, Wyoming has sucked. Perhaps it's the current climate in college football, or just bad AD's, but things used to be a lot different. Pointing to Bohl's teams going to bowl games is a bit of reach...considering there are now 40+ bowl games and it's almost like a participation trophy. Bohl's teams would never have gone to any bowl game prior to 2000 (look at Tiller's team). Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a new AD, and some fresh perspective on what has become a mediocre Sh#t show in Laramie. :twocents:
The single biggest mistake was Moon not keeping Tiller who absolutely loved Wyoming enough to retire near Buffalo. I heard from some that he would have stayed if Wyoming would have matched the Purdue offer, maybe it was simply economics. Wyoming could not afford to keep him.

Bohl biggest issue is he is as happy winning 13 to 7 as 31 to 14. Offensively Wyoming is very predictably run oriented and our defense always struggles against passing offenses. His philosophy works if you consistently are a top 20 defense , but Wyoming is not and has not been recently.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 am Maybe the problem isn't just the coaches, but the AD who selects, hires, extends said coaches. Moon took over in 1996, Tiller's last year. He hired Dimel (.657 winning percentage), Koenning (.147 winning percentage) and Glenn (.423 winning percentage). Moon leaves, and in come Tommy boy. He fires Glenn, and hires Christensen (.435 winning percentage) and Bohl (.474 winning percentage). Other than Dimel, not exactly a sterling job selecting coaches.

Phil Dickens

My point is, prior to Moon, Wyoming did a good job of finding talent. While they couldn't keep them, they still hired coaches (most of them) that went on to be great. Since Moon and Burman, Wyoming has sucked. Perhaps it's the current climate in college football, or just bad AD's, but things used to be a lot different. Pointing to Bohl's teams going to bowl games is a bit of reach...considering there are now 40+ bowl games and it's almost like a participation trophy. Bohl's teams would never have gone to any bowl game prior to 2000 (look at Tiller's team). Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a new AD, and some fresh perspective on what has become a mediocre Sh#t show in Laramie. :twocents:

Great stuff here! And I agree about Burman who I have always felt was more of a sleazy politician type, and a paranoid one at that, than a good AD. Burman is a terrible face for the universities sports programs. But I think Burman is part of the good old boys club around the university and his firing would be shocking if you ask me.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:20 am

Phil Dickens

The single biggest mistake was Moon not keeping Tiller who absolutely loved Wyoming enough to retire near Buffalo. I heard from some that he would have stayed if Wyoming would have matched the Purdue offer, maybe it was simply economics. Wyoming could not afford to keep him.

Bohl biggest issue is he is as happy winning 13 to 7 as 31 to 14. Offensively Wyoming is very predictably run oriented and our defense always struggles against passing offenses. His philosophy works if you consistently are a top 20 defense , but Wyoming is not and has not been recently.
I recall the quote a bit differently. He would have stayed in they would have paid him what they offered the next guy (Dimel). Agreed though, even when he's teams were bad, they were much more fun.

Hell, do you remember when he came down from Buffalo for that BYU game that we were getting pounded in - and went over and told Mendenhall to ease up?
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

I've mentioned it before, but since we're bringing it up more in-depth, I'll reiterate.

Talk of firing Burman is absolute madness from overly emotional and disappointed football-centric fans who can't see the forest for the trees.

Burman is absolutely a net positive (and not by a small margin) for Wyoming athletics...and what he has done for the athletic department, the university, and the community as a whole is extremely overlooked and understated.

He certainly has his faults, and his 100% loyalty to Bohl is one of those. And you know what? Maybe in the next couple of years it might be a good idea to move to the next chapter if there's an excellent candidate with good vision available to go after.

But finding a qualified AD is a million times harder than finding a qualified football coach, and to claim that Burman has been a "bad AD" is absolutely untrue.

There's a lot more that goes into being an AD than just what football and basketball coaches they hire.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:46 am I've mentioned it before, but since we're bringing it up more in-depth, I'll reiterate.

Talk of firing Burman is absolute madness from overly emotional and disappointed football-centric fans who can't see the forest for the trees.

Burman is absolutely a net positive (and not by a small margin) for Wyoming athletics...and what he has done for the athletic department, the university, and the community as a whole is extremely overlooked and understated.

He certainly has his faults, and his 100% loyalty to Bohl is one of those. And you know what? Maybe in the next couple of years it might be a good idea to move to the next chapter if there's an excellent candidate with good vision available to go after.

But finding a qualified AD is a million times harder than finding a qualified football coach, and to claim that Burman has been a "bad AD" is absolutely untrue.

There's a lot more that goes into being an AD than just what football and basketball coaches they hire.
Can you let us know why Burman is so great?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Phil Dickens

Dumping Burman is a pipe dream. The story is still being written, but the Jeff Linder hire may the best in the modern history of Wyoming basketball. We have a nationally competitive wrestling program and are competitive with peer schools in other Olympic sports as well. Things would have to fall far (not just in football) for Burman's seat to warm even slightly.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 am

Phil Dickens

Great stuff here! And I agree about Burman who I have always felt was more of a sleazy politician type, and a paranoid one at that, than a good AD. Burman is a terrible face for the universities sports programs. But I think Burman is part of the good old boys club around the university and his firing would be shocking if you ask me.
The real turd at WYO isn't Burman..........
Last edited by McPeachy on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:58 pm

Phil Dickens

Dumping Burman is a pipe dream. The story is still being written, but the Jeff Linder hire may the best in the modern history of Wyoming basketball. We have a nationally competitive wrestling program and are competitive with peer schools in other Olympic sports as well. Things would have to fall far (not just in football) for Burman's seat to warm even slightly.
For every "Linder" there is a Dickface, a Slick Haired Shyster, or a Screaming Idiot. Burman missed on Tad Boyle when he hired his buddy Heath in 2007. And then extended him. Inexcusable. As was the firing of McClain to do it. What is somewhat ironic about that, is Burman looked back at Northern Colorado for Linder, after years of realizing he f-word up not hiring Tad. But I digress.
Dear Karma,

DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Our football program...while there is a ton of unrealized potential there...is more stable than it has been since the late 90s. And while his continued loyalty to Bohl may be his downfall, the hire itself was a grand slam.

Our basketball program has had some pretty low points but also some pretty high points as well, and Linder was an absolutely stellar hire.

As mentioned, our wrestling team is in a power conference and is usually competitive on a national scale.

The majority of our non-revenue sports are competitive.

Burman has been at the forefront of getting a ton of facilities and grounds upgrades, including the High Altitude performance center...which is arguably one of the best facilities in the MWC.

Our fundraising and budgets are in a better spot than they've ever been.

Our PR, marketing, and national profile is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was before he got here. Everything from graphics design teams to the general perception of our school and program is on another level compared to what it used to be.

I spend a lot of time in large college sports communities online, and the national perception of our school and our brand has never been higher.

Hell, even our merch is on point....and our uniform deals are perhaps the best we've ever had.

Burman also seems to be great at keeping everyone collectively happy...between the various sports, the school, the boosters, even the City of Laramie and the state legislature (whom he depends on for funding for a lot of things). That's a huge but often overlooked part of his job.

Not to mention the fact that ADs...particularly in football, and particularly founding members...are heavily involved in conference changes and decisions. And the MWC (bizarre on-field performance this year aside)...is in the best shape it's ever been in.

Again, finding a qualified AD who can be successful long-term in so many different facets of a rather complex job is a MILLION times harder than simply finding a competant football coach. And the University of Wyoming isn't going to (nor should they) take such a massive risk by firing him right now when by all measures, he's excelled at his job.

No AD is going to be 100% perfect and have 100% success in every area of such a multifaceted job...especially in Laramie freaking Wyoming...and somehow I get the feeling that some of you want outright football dominance at the expense of literally everything and everyone else.

(Also consider that Burman isn't God...there are some things beyond his control and part of the job of an AD is to somewhat acquiesce to the powers that be and the hands that feed.)

Again, firing Burman right now is absolute crazy talk and a MASSIVE risk that UW isn't going to take.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:37 pm Our football program...while there is a ton of unrealized potential there...is more stable than it has been since the late 90s. And while his continued loyalty to Bohl may be his downfall, the hire itself was a grand slam.

Our basketball program has had some pretty low points but also some pretty high points as well, and Linder was an absolutely stellar hire.

As mentioned, our wrestling team is in a power conference and is usually competitive on a national scale.

The majority of our non-revenue sports are competitive.

Burman has been at the forefront of getting a ton of facilities and grounds upgrades, including the High Altitude performance center...which is arguably one of the best facilities in the MWC.

Our fundraising and budgets are in a better spot than they've ever been.

Our PR, marketing, and national profile is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was before he got here. Everything from graphics design teams to the general perception of our school and program is on another level compared to what it used to be.

I spend a lot of time in large college sports communities online, and the national perception of our school and our brand has never been higher.

Hell, even our merch is on point....and our uniform deals are perhaps the best we've ever had.

Burman also seems to be great at keeping everyone collectively happy...between the various sports, the school, the boosters, even the City of Laramie and the state legislature (whom he depends on for funding for a lot of things). That's a huge but often overlooked part of his job.

Not to mention the fact that ADs...particularly in football, and particularly founding members...are heavily involved in conference changes and decisions. And the MWC (bizarre on-field performance this year aside)...is in the best shape it's ever been in.

Again, finding a qualified AD who can be successful long-term in so many different facets of a rather complex job is a MILLION times harder than simply finding a competant football coach. And the University of Wyoming isn't going to (nor should they) take such a massive risk by firing him right now when by all measures, he's excelled at his job.

No AD is going to be 100% perfect and have 100% success in every area of such a multifaceted job...especially in Laramie freaking Wyoming...and somehow I get the feeling that some of you want outright football dominance at the expense of literally everything and everyone else.

(Also consider that Burman isn't God...there are some things beyond his control and part of the job of an AD is to somewhat acquiesce to the powers that be and the hands that feed.)

Again, firing Burman right now is absolute crazy talk and a MASSIVE risk that UW isn't going to take.
Well said. I just don't get the "fire Burman" crowd. In my opinion he's done a very good job here, especially when you consider the mess that Old Main has been during his tenure.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hiring and extending Heath Schroyer was pretty bad.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Who exactly is the President of the Cowboy Joe Club?
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Charlie Van Over, a guy from Rock Springs?

I've never heard of him.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:37 pm Charlie Van Over, a guy from Rock Springs?

I've never heard of him.
President is one thing, and that board is likely "fine" where it is at. The admin (paid / salaried) side though - laughable at best.
Dear Karma,

BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 am
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:51 pm
Thought the same thing. Hell, any HC in any G5 conference making < $1,000,000 at the current position, would salivate at WYO facilities and salary.

If we are talking about an average G5 coach you are 100% correct, but I thought we were talking about an ESTABLISHED WINNER at G5.

Chadwell (Costal Carolina) is an established winner, he makes more than Bohl.

Bohl's salary is on par with Toledo, Texas San Antonio, UAB, Central Michigan, Tulsa, Tulane, North Texas.

Which established, winning Sun Belt coach making half a million are you thinking of picking up? Looks like Texas Sate, Louisiana, Louisiana Monroe are all 2-3 with coaches that make between $500k-1mil if that looks appealing. South Alabama is 4-1 right now, but have finished 4-7 and 5-7 the last two years. Is that what we're thinking? Maybe we just have different ideas of what "established winner" looks like.