I come in peace..

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BYUUU
Buckaroo

BYU fan here. I represent the part of the fanbase that is excited about the game. I was in Laramie for a game back in '99. We came in ranked and confident and left with a loss. I spent the first half sitting with the BYU fans and the second half we went across to sit with the WYO fans. I remember getting some angry looks as we made our way to our seats (we swapped tickets with a BYU fan at half time). And that second half was brutal for BYU. That whole half there were fans that would run up the isle while they were cheering for the Cowboys and point and yell at us, but it was all good! We never felt threatened or anything like that, just passionate fans that were in the middle of upsetting a ranked rival.

The next day we were cruising up and down Laramie and made our way into a Christian church (us Utah County boys had only been to LDS church before). It was great! The pastor even brought up the win and the congregation cheered. We had a memorable time and I'd love to get back out there.

As a non-member BYU fan (I left the church a while back), I understand the perception of us, especially by our former MWC mates. But college football should be about these rivalries and the passionate fans across the country. We've got em and you all have them. We have a hearty history between our teams that makes this game fun every time. I hope we can get this game on the schedule more, or meet up in a bowl every now and then.

Great win vs AF. I pull for Wyoming every year from afar. I hope you lose this week and then go on to beat SJSU and run the table. Run it up on Utah State (we should all hate them), take care of Boise at home, and that Fresno game should be a great one. Good luck and I hope your whole team gets diarrhea right before kickoff.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I was at that 1999 game too. Weather was amazing for November and it was glorious to watch the students tear down the goal posts and head to the Buckhorn Bar with them. I would love nothing more than to watch history repeat itself this week with a win over a ranked BYU team!

And if our guys do get diarrhea I hope they play anyway and squirt it all over the field and their opponents. I mean that’s the perception there anyway, right?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I was also at that 1999 game. Me and some other high school buddies drove to Laramie and purchased the 'knothole' tickets (where the HAPC is now). Will never forget rushing the field that day. I believe that a piece of those goalposts remains in the 3rd Street bar today.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:17 pm I was also at that 1999 game. Me and some other high school buddies drove to Laramie and purchased the 'knothole' tickets (where the HAPC is now). Will never forget rushing the field that day. I believe that a piece of those goalposts remains in the 3rd Street bar today.
I was also there... also in the Knothole. I would have been in 4th grade and my brother and I almost got trampled when we went out on the field. Not sure what we thought we were going to do, but everyone else was doing it :lol:
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

I’ll post here what I did on the other thread;

I think you need to figure out if The church is going to be an athletics program or church, because your fans have forgot you are a religious organization with their vitriol. There are rabid and over the top Poke fans, but we have no claim to be involved in a religious mission.
BYUUU
Buckaroo

ZapPoke wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:09 pm I was at that 1999 game too. Weather was amazing for November and it was glorious to watch the students tear down the goal posts and head to the Buckhorn Bar with them. I would love nothing more than to watch history repeat itself this week with a win over a ranked BYU team!

And if our guys do get diarrhea I hope they play anyway and squirt it all over the field and their opponents. I mean that’s the perception there anyway, right?
If you did get diarrhea no one would know because it would match your uniforms. Lol

Honestly, I love WYO unis. Colors match the rugged and tough team you expect from Wyoming and especially with Bohl. And you have one of the best logos in college football. Did you guys have brown helmets ever or am I misremembering that. The white are where it’s at. Can’t wait to see them covered in Cowboy tears. Lol
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Nm
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BYUUU
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:17 pm I was also at that 1999 game. Me and some other high school buddies drove to Laramie and purchased the 'knothole' tickets (where the HAPC is now). Will never forget rushing the field that day. I believe that a piece of those goalposts remains in the 3rd Street bar today.
This is what it’s all about. That game sucked a$$ for me and my buddies, and that drive home was miserable. But I’ll definitely stop in to the 3rd Street Bar next time I pass through. College football, back when it wasn’t all about dollar bills.
BYUUU
Buckaroo

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:30 pm I’ll post here what I did on the other thread;

I think you need to figure out if The church is going to be an athletics program or church, because your fans have forgot you are a religious organization with their vitriol. There are rabid and over the top Poke fans, but we have no claim to be involved in a religious mission.
I don’t have to figure out anything. Fans are what they are. BYU is a religious school, and some fans care about that. More and more don’t. I don’t. I’m a BYU fan for the same reason most of you are Wyoming fans: my dad was a fan, my brothers were fans, I grew up living and dying BYU football. When my dad died and me and my brothers all left the church we tried switching teams because we thought a team like Utah would have more in common. But you can’t switch. It just isn’t the same. Plus, f%*k Utah.

Fact is, BYU and Wyoming have more in common then we don’t. We come from the same neighborhood. We’re old WAC rivals that started the MWC together. We’ve had historic battles when both of us were ranked. I was down at Sam Boyd in 1996 with my dad for the WAC championship when we won in OT (Sark was our QB and that was one of our best teams ever and we barely snuck by you). I see Wyoming like when I run into that douchebag from high school that I hated so much, except now I’m 20 years out of high school and he’s just a hard working guy that reminds me of the old days. We’re western schools, up in the mountains that other teams don’t like to play at. If the CFB football gods were just, you’d be coming to the Big12 with us. The Big12 feels a lot like the old WAC and MWC does. Laramie, Boise, and Albuquerque aren’t that different than Lubbock, Stillwater, and Waco. None of us would fit in the liberal Pac12.

If you want to get hung up on the religious nuts that cheer for BYU then go for it, and I could get hung up on the piss balloners and angry fans cussing me out at those games, but there aren’t a lot of teams out there with the kind of history that we’ve got so since these games are fewer and far between I’m just going to embrace the rivalry.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BYUUU wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm.

The Big12 feels a lot like the old WAC and MWC does. Laramie, Boise, and Albuquerque aren’t that different than Lubbock, Stillwater, and Waco. None of us would fit in the liberal Pac12.

If you want to get hung up on the religious nuts that cheer for BYU then go for it, and I could get hung up on the piss balloners and angry fans cussing me out at those games, but there aren’t a lot of teams out there with the kind of history that we’ve got so since these games are fewer and far between I’m just going to embrace the rivalry.
I wouldn’t worry too much. One thing that is for sure and that history bears out is that byu will almost certainly find a way to stab it’s new conference members in the back and wear out it’s welcome in Lubbock, Stillwater and Waco too.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I think i was at that game in 99 too, but my memories of individual games are slowly creeping together as there's been alot of brain cells departed from me over the years. I do remember the shellacking in Provokistan in 08 44-0 and those arrogant fans....never will i go to LES ever again...
Go Pokes hope for a miracle
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I still have the ticket stub from 1999
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:31 am I think i was at that game in 99 too, but my memories of individual games are slowly creeping together as there's been alot of brain cells departed from me over the years. I do remember the shellacking in Provokistan in 08 44-0 and those arrogant fans....never will i go to LES ever again...
I was at the 08 game in Provo. Boy that sure sucked. I recall BYU fans were rude.
BYUUU
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am
stymeman wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:31 am I think i was at that game in 99 too, but my memories of individual games are slowly creeping together as there's been alot of brain cells departed from me over the years. I do remember the shellacking in Provokistan in 08 44-0 and those arrogant fans....never will i go to LES ever again...
I was at the 08 game in Provo. Boy that sure sucked. I recall BYU fans were rude.
Haha man, a lot of softies on here today. What fun is going to a heated rivalry game if everyone is holding hands and singing kumbaya? As I said before, one of the best road trips I went on was to Laramie and it was because it was a hostile environment. Sounds like the rude Mormons really made a dent with some of you. I'll see if I can get some of the Relief Society to greet you when you come next. haha
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BYUUU wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:39 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am
Haha man, a lot of softies on here today. What fun is going to a heated rivalry game if everyone is holding hands and singing kumbaya? As I said before, one of the best road trips I went on was to Laramie and it was because it was a hostile environment. Sounds like the rude Mormons really made a dent with some of you. I'll see if I can get some of the Relief Society to greet you when you come next. haha
I didn't say I was butthurt over it. I don't give a poop what a BYU fan thinks. Sticks and stones. It was notable because the behavior was antithetical of what BYU preaches concerning personal conduct. More of an observation
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

BYUUU wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:30 pm I’ll post here what I did on the other thread;

I don’t have to figure out anything. Fans are what they are. BYU is a religious school, and some fans care about that. More and more don’t. I don’t. I’m a BYU fan for the same reason most of you are Wyoming fans: my dad was a fan, my brothers were fans, I grew up living and dying BYU football. When my dad died and me and my brothers all left the church we tried switching teams because we thought a team like Utah would have more in common. But you can’t switch. It just isn’t the same. Plus, f%*k Utah.

Fact is, BYU and Wyoming have more in common then we don’t. We come from the same neighborhood. We’re old WAC rivals that started the MWC together. We’ve had historic battles when both of us were ranked. I was down at Sam Boyd in 1996 with my dad for the WAC championship when we won in OT (Sark was our QB and that was one of our best teams ever and we barely snuck by you). I see Wyoming like when I run into that douchebag from high school that I hated so much, except now I’m 20 years out of high school and he’s just a hard working guy that reminds me of the old days. We’re western schools, up in the mountains that other teams don’t like to play at. If the CFB football gods were just, you’d be coming to the Big12 with us. The Big12 feels a lot like the old WAC and MWC does. Laramie, Boise, and Albuquerque aren’t that different than Lubbock, Stillwater, and Waco. None of us would fit in the liberal Pac12.

I’ll rephrase, Wyoming isn’t proclaiming to be on a religious mission. Maybe you personally aren’t, BYU certainly is a faith based institution.

And I don’t think anyone is asking for a relief society - I won’t speak for anyone else, I’m just asking for the BYU fans (who practice the BYU faith) to act like the spiritual folks they profess to be (the words holier than thou have been used) when posting on their message board, when sitting in their arena or stadium, or one who is of their faith wearing a opponents colors meets them in a restaurant (for gosh sake) to act like they act in their churches on Sunday. The fact is, unlike you, the majority of BYU fans are Mormon in their belief. They need to act like it.

Again, are they an athletic program or a religious faith?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:04 am
BYUUU wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm

I’ll rephrase, Wyoming isn’t proclaiming to be on a religious mission. Maybe you personally aren’t, BYU certainly is a faith based institution.

And I don’t think anyone is asking for a relief society - I won’t speak for anyone else, I’m just asking for the BYU fans (who practice the BYU faith) to act like the spiritual folks they profess to be (the words holier than thou have been used) when posting on their message board, when sitting in their arena or stadium, or one who is of their faith wearing a opponents colors meets them in a restaurant (for gosh sake) to act like they act in their churches on Sunday. The fact is, unlike you, the majority of BYU fans are Mormon in their belief. They need to act like it.

Again, are they an athletic program or a religious faith?
At the risk of being accused of being soft on BYU...here we go,

So...absent the religious mission, would anybody be ok with the actions that people have pointed out? If A Wyoming fan hurls a racial epithet or a piss balloon, is anybody comforted by the fact that the university does not have a religious affiliation?

The BYU football program, just like every college football program, is an advertising vehicle for the institution that it represents. It's no more a religious faith than the Notre Dame football team. The organization that it brings visibility to is a religious one, in the case of Notre Dame and BYU...and a bunch of other schools with religious affiliations.

So what about the fans? Terrible fans do terrible fan stuff...if it comes from a school affiliated with a religion it has an extra layer of hypocrisy that a secular school doesn't get but it's still terrible. Fans do get a reputation though .... I have never had any of the bad experiences that I've heard about from every corner of college fandom, but I don't think they are made up out of whole cloth. The accounts you hear about can be pretty terrible and tend to be very, very biased. It gets to the point that these stories of fan behavior, particularly in rivalries, become legendary.

Anyways...I would much rather hear about football strategy and people's thoughts on my Poke's chances of pulling off the upset on Saturday...but this dumb topic is sucking the air out of all the conversation around the game.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

I haven't been out to the bars in a few years, but I'm pretty sure that is hanging up at the buckhorn. I don't think they kept the 2003 goalpost we tore down though.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:48 am
I haven't been out to the bars in a few years, but I'm pretty sure that is hanging up at the buckhorn. I don't think they kept the 2003 goalpost we tore down though.
Maybe I had it wrong on the bar and you might absolutely be right. For some reason, I thought I recalled it at 3rd street. I also don't really get to those locations too often as time has pretty much passed me by.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:53 am
Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:48 am
Maybe I had it wrong on the bar and you might absolutely be right. For some reason, I thought I recalled it at 3rd street. I also don't really get to those locations too often as time has pretty much passed me by.
Ah it doesn't matter. Still trying to get all those STD's under control from the last time to pokes played them in Laramie. Their cheerleaders are hot, and Joseph Smith can't see over the snowy's. But herpes is for real. If they ever say anything about gods loophole - just reassure and double up.

All joking aside, I think 3rd street might have a piece of it. I'm pretty sure the Buck still has it hanging. Hell I might take a trip down there to check tonight.

Just remember, leave those girls alone, if you can't double up and get some turpentine. :)