Is the BYU game the worst scheduling decision in UW history?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:29 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:24 pm Or we just don't like them for their actions over decades and prefer to not have them around in any capacity.

Not sure why that's hard for you to grasp, 307.
That statement also applies to CSU though.....

We all don't like CSU's "actions" but we aren't clamoring to never play them again....It is the why we don't like the actions and the intent behind them.
I tend to get pedantic in these discussions ... especially when I'm confused by the arguments put forth...my apologies.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

The actions of CSU are no where close to as bad as BYU.

307bball is going to have to change his name to 307cougar after this thread. :rofl:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:30 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:24 pm Or we just don't like them for their actions over decades and prefer to not have them around in any capacity.

We all don't like CSU's "actions" but we aren't clamoring to never play them again....It is the why we don't like the actions and the intent behind them.
I tend to get pedantic in these discussions ... especially when I'm confused by the arguments put forth...my apologies.
csu isn't at all like byu in terms of actions. The project, the black wall, black 14, exposure to/growing up around obnoxious byu fans living in WYO, etc., etc.

2 different programs and situations. Has nothing to do with religion.

Are you LDS? You obviously don't have to answer but wondering if you might have some bias.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:35 pm The actions of CSU are no where close to as bad as BYU.

307bball is going to have to change his name to 307cougar after this thread. :rofl:
Come on Lander...for all the talk about negotiating contracts in good faith, could I get a "good faith" effort in a discussion wherein I might disagree with you?

Nobody is claiming that CSU=BYU...that is a strawman. I pointed out to Ragtime that the statement he made could also apply to CSU...not that they were equivalent. Since that is the case, it is not sufficient to just say the reason for the hatred is because "we don't like their actions". That is a true statement but it applies to too many programs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:35 pm The actions of CSU are no where close to as bad as BYU.

Come on Lander...for all the talk about negotiating contracts in good faith, could I get a "good faith" effort in a discussion wherein I might disagree with you?

Nobody is claiming that CSU=BYU...that is a strawman. I pointed out to Ragtime that the statement he made could also apply to CSU...not that they were equivalent. Since that is the case, it is not sufficient to just say the reason for the hatred is because "we don't like their actions". That is a true statement but it applies to too many programs.
I'm just ribbing you. But you should hate BYU like a decent, self-respecting Pokes fan.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I think calls for immediate termination, threats of boycotting Wyoming football, and encouraging the players to take a knee every snap because this game is taking place goes far and beyond "preferring not to have them around"

It's an abnormal amount of bad blood and probably not good for some of y'alls physical health.

Be glad we don't play them every year, view this decision as a bad choice, but for God's sake, don't have a heart attack over it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm it is not sufficient to just say the reason for the hatred is because "we don't like their actions". That is a true statement but it applies to too many programs.
All actions are not equal thus responses or feelings towards actions are not equal. This isn't hard.

Similar to degree associated with crimes. csu is closer to d felonies or misdemeanor. byu is a or highest level felony.

They are all actions but even courts can sort varying degrees of actions.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Edited: so I don't drop a nuke to put out a grass fire.

I'm out. I can't wait until this week is over.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:42 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:30 pm

csu isn't at all like byu in terms of actions. The project, the black wall, black 14, exposure to/growing up around obnoxious byu fans living in WYO, etc., etc.

2 different programs and situations. Has nothing to do with religion.

Are you LDS? You obviously don't have to answer but wondering if you might have some bias.
Ha...I definitely have bias. I'm hesitant to reveal very much about myself but I don't imagine that not being LDS is much of an identifier for a Wyoming fan....so no..not LDS.

Anyways...thx for the clarification. It's not just that you don't like the actions, the actions you don't like puts the dislike into a different category.

I don't have much non-sports hatred for BYU though. That has put me at odds with Wyoming fans in the past and with Wyoming fans in this thread. I have fond memories of the pokes trading blows with BYU in both football and basketball. For some reason it seemed to mean more to both teams to win that game. Now that I'm an adult, I see that some of those reasons are pretty dark. I idolized Cowboy players as a young kid and when I got older, got the chance to be around them in person and to socialize with college athletes in general. I definitely had the experience of realizing your heroes are not always all they are built up to be in your mind. I saw that while they are capable of amazing feats of athleticism and sportsmanship....they can be petty, selfish, and mean. BYU players do not have a monopoly on that.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Apples to Oranges 307. CSewe (is a true rival) and has a lot more in common with WYO than anything behind the Zion Curtain ever did, or ever will.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm

I'm just ribbing you. But you should hate BYU like a decent, self-respecting Pokes fan.
:) :thumb:
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm

Apples to Oranges 307. CSewe (is a true rival) and has a lot more in common with WYO than anything behind the Zion Curtain ever did, or ever will.
Yeah...I think we are all about in the same place we were....thank you all for the clarification. Nobody Likes BYU and simple dislike is not the reason for the high levels of distrust and disgust.

For me personally...I don't like the constant naval gazing of past injustices in general. I hope people are free to make mistakes and build better relationships moving forward. That may not apply here and you all who are telling me that BYU represents some existential moral (hyperbole intended) threat may be correct. We'll probably never have a satisfactory answer that would compel both of us one way or another. I'm fine with not scheduling them and I seem to have picked at a scab by questioning peoples feelings on the subject.
wyoviking
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:50 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 pm Sounds like a lot of you can't stand BYU. I've no issue with that. Your hatred of BYU will make you want to see the Cowboys beat them even more so. Also, don't say you're not going to watch, because you will. Go Cowboys!
By ANY chance whatsoever, have you heard of the Black 14? That event for all intents and purposes destroyed Wyoming football.
The Black 14 incident is squarely on the shoulders of Lloyd Eaton. Sure would have been nice if BYU wasn't racist in the first place, but BYU didn't force Eaton to kick them off of the team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

How do you compare CSU to a team that actively attempted to relegate its conference member Wyoming to a conference (or no conference) far inferior to the current MWC makeup?

CSU is the annoying little step brother who is relatively easy to beat and who is fun to pick on but ultimately in the end you do kind of hope the best for.

BYU is that creepy uncle who absolutely no one likes and where you have to lock yourself in your room when he is over for legitimate fear he will go through your stuff to steal all of your money and stuff. The uncle that is too lazy to get an actual job, still hits on high school girls in his late 30s and drinks all the beer in the fridge without ever contributing. Nobody likes that guy.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

This thread turned out to be amazing.

Obviously, we all cannot wait until kickoff on Saturday night.

Pokes 31

BYU 19

Go Pokes!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:06 pm This thread turned out to be amazing.

Obviously, we all cannot wait until kickoff on Saturday night.

Pokes 31

BYU 19

Go Pokes!
Ha... You definitely enjoyed it more than I did.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

wyoviking wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:50 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 pm Sounds like a lot of you can't stand BYU. I've no issue with that. Your hatred of BYU will make you want to see the Cowboys beat them even more so. Also, don't say you're not going to watch, because you will. Go Cowboys!
By ANY chance whatsoever, have you heard of the Black 14? That event for all intents and purposes destroyed Wyoming football.
The Black 14 incident is squarely on the shoulders of Lloyd Eaton. Sure would have been nice if BYU wasn't racist in the first place, but BYU didn't force Eaton to kick them off of the team.
True, but I wouldn't say squarely. Had the UW powers that be and/or the community stood up for those players, it might've had a different outcome. The Equality State supported the decision to silence and dismiss 14 individuals who wanted to be treated as equals who merely asked for their voice to be heard in a very humble way. We can only blame ourselves.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:10 pm True, but I wouldn't say squarely. Had the UW powers that be and/or the community stood up for those players, it might've had a different outcome. The Equality State, as a whole, rallied behind the coach (and ultimately, BYU) rather than their own student-athletes who wanted to be treated as equals. We can only blame ourselves.
As much as I hate to agree, at least I have faith that had it taken place today, UW and its students and fans would have been on the right side of things.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm

How do you compare CSU to a team that actively attempted to relegate its conference member Wyoming to a conference (or no conference) far inferior to the current MWC makeup?

CSU is the annoying little step brother who is relatively easy to beat and who is fun to pick on but ultimately in the end you do kind of hope the best for.

BYU is that creepy uncle who absolutely no one likes and where you have to lock yourself in your room when he is over for legitimate fear he will go through your stuff to steal all of your money and stuff. The uncle that is too lazy to get an actual job, still hits on high school girls in his late 30s and drinks all the beer in the fridge without ever contributing. Nobody likes that guy.
As I already mentioned above...the statement Ragtime made also applies to CSU. When I pointed that out, he expanded on it...as you did. I also admitted it's a pretty pedantic observation that I made, but I have been confused this whole thread by the positions and statements being made.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

I’ll make a final observation………

The War has great super nachos…… 😉