Is the BYU game the worst scheduling decision in UW history?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:01 am Nope, far from a BYU fan. Lifelong "Pokes" fan since I was...10 years old? Screw BYU and Go Pokes!
Nice try, kid.

BTW, I've called older folk "kid" before and no one gave a damned about it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Sports hate for BYU (or CSU) is great. When you start grafting on this Hatfield/McCoy sh@#, everybody starts cutting off their nose to spite thier face and we all end up running around with disfigured faces.

They say the best revenge is living well and to this pokes fan, it pains me to see Utah and BYU "living well" as the MWC recedes into non-relevance. As somebody said earlier in this thread... The answer is really to go and whip 'em... Sadly I'm not sure that is all that realistic this year.

There may have been a time when scheduling BYU or not made some sort of difference to them. That time was probably right after they went independent. It's a new day now and it looks like BYU's success and trajectory is no longer dependant on Wyoming scheduling them. Let's move the f$#@ on.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:08 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:01 am Nope, far from a BYU fan. Lifelong "Pokes" fan since I was...10 years old? Screw BYU and Go Pokes!
Nice try, kid.

BTW, I've called older folk "kid" before and no one gave a damned about it.
Hey now, I was only kidding around.

And how about this? poop! And f-word BYU! Go Pokes!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:19 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:00 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:50 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 pm Sounds like a lot of you can't stand BYU. I've no issue with that. Your hatred of BYU will make you want to see the Cowboys beat them even more so. Also, don't say you're not going to watch, because you will. Go Cowboys!
By ANY chance whatsoever, have you heard of the Black 14? That event for all intents and purposes destroyed Wyoming football.
Cannot live in the past and that incident happened so long ago its ancient history, and it did not destroy Wyoming football. It set the program back many years, unfortunately, but nobody ever thinks about it today or any time in the recent past. You're being just a tad bit hyperbolic in my estimation. I say this respectfully of course.
Somehow I figured you'd say that. Youth is wasted on the young. No, that event destroyed the football program. Aside from the very brief two year of laying waste to the WAC in 1987-88, Wyoming hasn't done jack Sh#t since the late 1960s right when the Black 14 happened. Learn from history, kid. Learn from history.
Absolute nonsense. In 1976, we won the WAC with Fred Akers coaching. The WAC was really strong then - with both Arizona schools. We had good teams in early and mid 80's as well. We just couldn't keep a coach. That's when Roach stepped in to bring stability to the program.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 pm Sounds like a lot of you can't stand BYU. I've no issue with that. Your hatred of BYU will make you want to see the Cowboys beat them even more so. Also, don't say you're not going to watch, because you will. Go Cowboys!
By ANY chance whatsoever, have you heard of the Black 14? That event for all intents and purposes destroyed Wyoming football.
Cannot live in the past and that incident happened so long ago its ancient history, and it did not destroy Wyoming football. It set the program back many years, unfortunately, but nobody ever thinks about it today or any time in the recent past. You're being just a tad bit hyperbolic in my estimation. I say this respectfully of course.
No body thinks of it today!!!!!! They had a event at The War last year in honor of it!!!! ESPN has a documentary of it. Everybody in Wyoming thinks of it - and you would know that if you’re a fan.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 am Sports hate for BYU (or CSU) is great. When you start grafting on this Hatfield/McCoy sh@#, everybody starts cutting off their nose to spite thier face and we all end up running around with disfigured faces.

They say the best revenge is living well and to this pokes fan, it pains me to see Utah and BYU "living well" as the MWC recedes into non-relevance. As somebody said earlier in this thread... The answer is really to go and whip 'em... Sadly I'm not sure that is all that realistic this year.

There may have been a time when scheduling BYU or not made some sort of difference to them. That time was probably right after they went independent. It's a new day now and it looks like BYU's success and trajectory is no longer dependant on Wyoming scheduling them. Let's move the f$#@ on.
100% agree! They absolutely don't need us. Let's just pull another shocker this weekend. Losing to them gives me a true empty feeling in my stomach.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

phxpoke wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:02 am
307bball wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 am Sports hate for BYU (or CSU) is great. When you start grafting on this Hatfield/McCoy sh@#, everybody starts cutting off their nose to spite thier face and we all end up running around with disfigured faces.

100% agree! They absolutely don't need us. Let's just pull another shocker this weekend. Losing to them gives me a true empty feeling in my stomach.
Schedule strategically. No money. Doesn't help recruiting. Overall would be a very minor bump in rankings if you win and tough to get a win for WYO in provo. Add in the risk of injury due to cheap shots and a terrible place for our fans to visit makes it a colossal mistake to schedule them.

Win or lose, there's no upside to scheduling those bums. Hope nobody gets nut punched.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:57 am
No body thinks of it today!!!!!! They had a event at The War last year in honor of it!!!! ESPN has a documentary of it. Everybody in Wyoming thinks of it - and you would know that if you’re a fan.
I was at the game this past Friday night and I can tell you that that incident never crossed my mind a single time nor did it cross anyone else's mind that night. The only time I will think about it is if anyone happens to mention it. I will also say that according to my family, Lloyd Eaton was a great coach and an even better man. I don't think you can judge anyone today based upon the social attitudes of 1969 or 1959, 49, and so on. From what I know, Eaton heard out his players and then they disobeyed his directives. Coaches were the ultimate and had final say back in those days. Go "Pokes!"
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Also, the B14 incident is no reason at all to not want to play BYU.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Well despite it being a poop start time, we are on ESPN2. That type of exposure matters.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:21 pm Well despite it being a Sh#t start time, we are on ESPN2. That type of exposure matters.
I think that's right. This is a big game, whether we like it or not. A win against byu would be a big deal.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:43 pm
I was at the game this past Friday night and I can tell you that that incident never crossed my mind a single time nor did it cross anyone else's mind that night. The only time I will think about it is if anyone happens to mention it. I will also say that according to my family, Lloyd Eaton was a great coach and an even better man. I don't think you can judge anyone today based upon the social attitudes of 1969 or 1959, 49, and so on. From what I know, Eaton heard out his players and then they disobeyed his directives. Coaches were the ultimate and had final say back in those days. Go "Pokes!"
I suppose it crossed the mind of the hundreds, or thousands that walked past the plague at War memorial stadium. To say it didn’t cross “anyone else’s” mind is really naive.

And I’ll say it, BYU was extremely racist. That’s what this whole thing was about is the racist attitude of BYU. May still linger with fundamentalist LDS.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 8aae8.html
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:14 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:43 pm
I suppose it crossed the mind of the hundreds, or thousands that walked past the plague at War memorial stadium. To say it didn’t cross “anyone else’s” mind is really naive.

And I’ll say it, BYU was extremely racist. That’s what this whole thing was about is the racist attitude of BYU. May still linger with fundamentalist LDS.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 8aae8.html
Being perfectly honest, our response was the issue. Had we handled our affairs differently, byu's intolerance and racism would be irrelevant to us. In fact a different response by us may have been an opportunity to positively impact history.

We had an opportunity and blew it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Lloyd Eaton was a great coach, his former players speak to that and so do many people still alive that remember him. "Can we wear armbands?" Answer: "No." But they had to push it and they paid the price, and so did our football program for a few years. Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the B14. Some may agree with me others will not. That's how I feel. Go Pokes!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:17 pm Lloyd Eaton was a great coach, his former players speak to that and so do many people still alive that remember him. "Can we wear armbands?" Answer: "No." But they had to push it and they paid the price, and so did our football program for a few years. Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the B14. Some may agree with me others will not. That's how I feel. Go Pokes!
He totally mis-handled the Black 14, and the response for the players. He may have been a great coach…….in this case, terrible judgement and it definitely scarred the University to this day.

I agree with the earlier poster and think you are a BYU plant.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 pm I agree with the earlier poster and think you are a BYU plant.
Wouldn't shock me.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:17 pm Lloyd Eaton was a great coach, his former players speak to that and so do many people still alive that remember him. "Can we wear armbands?" Answer: "No." But they had to push it and they paid the price, and so did our football program for a few years. Frankly I'm sick of hearing about the B14. Some may agree with me others will not. That's how I feel. Go Pokes!
He totally mis-handled the Black 14, and the response for the players. He may have been a great coach…….in this case, terrible judgement and it definitely scarred the University to this day.

I agree with the earlier poster and think you are a BYU plant.

Totally crazy.

Firstly I am a Christian and could never align myself with anything Mormon.

Secondly, my devotion to the Pokes, both as a fan from a long line of family who have rooted for the Pokes over the years, and as a member of the Cowboy Joe Club, squashes any nonsense suggesting I am some kind of "plant."
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I kinda remember a great post years ago about a special car designed for mormon families. It was called the Brigham Brougham. I wish I could remember all the features but I know it seated 14 and came with an urim and thrumin windshield that allowed the driver to see things others couldn’t.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

ZapPoke wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:09 pm I kinda remember a great post years ago about a special car designed for mormon families. It was called the Brigham Brougham. I wish I could remember all the features but I know it seated 14 and came with an urim and thrumin windshield that allowed the driver to see things others couldn’t.
That's good!

I guess you're looking for some White guilt here?

That's not going to happen.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:12 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:09 pm I kinda remember a great post years ago about a special car designed for mormon families. It was called the Brigham Brougham. I wish I could remember all the features but I know it seated 14 and came with an urim and thrumin windshield that allowed the driver to see things others couldn’t.
That's good!

I guess you're looking for some White guilt here?

That's not going to happen.
I’m not looking for anything. Just bringing a little levity to the board.