Illinois- Wyoming game thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:21 pm Was that pass to Wieland sh#t[#] or did he just drop it? Totally killed drive
A little behind him, but definitely his fault he just dropped it
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:21 pm Was hoping bohl would go for 4th and 1 at the 50. I was only kidding myself. Conservative Bohl will always opt for the 25 yard punt in that situation
Wouldn’t want to try and win game. Better to lose by 21 than 35
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:57 pm Reece Monaco has had an equally bad first half as the Cowboys. Missing Dave Walsh a lot already.
Yeah he sucks, honestly
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Drag his carcass off the field geez
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Those were the two worst calls I’ve ever seen.
Last edited by laxwyo on Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Sure glad we didn't go for it midfield. Wouldn't of wanted the chance at getting some momentum. Now Illinois has firmly shut the door
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I just can’t get over how poop a call that was on Cam Stone. The pig crying about flags sure paid off.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Sweet sneak.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:28 pm
cowpoke pride wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:57 pm Reece Monaco has had an equally bad first half as the Cowboys. Missing Dave Walsh a lot already.
Yeah he sucks, honestly
Sorry to have to agree with you. Not only does he have to reverse his call frequently, he's way too dramatic.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

PokeNer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:21 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:20 pm JFC. Can we try throwing the ball on 3rd down from time to time?!
Why? Then everyone in the country wouldn’t be able
to predict what we’re doing!
won't matter one bit.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Even BetMGM is dragging our poop offense

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

0/10 on third down. Wow. Bohl needs to hit the road. Tired of this garbage he calls “offense”
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

These last 2 or so drives sum up my frustration with Bohls game plans.

We get a fg to start the 2nd half and a defensive stop. We have a tiny bit of momentum and move the ball to midfield on a drive that if we actually were to score in would bring the game back to a 1 score game. 4th and 1 or 1 and a half at the 50 and conservative bohl punts it.

Illinois drives field scores and makes it a 3 score game erasing any tiny bit of momentum we had and effectively winning the game.

Only at this point down 3 scores and no momentum and game likely out of reach, we call a pass on the first play of the drive for the first time all game. It's an 8 yard catch that instead becomes a first down on Illinois penalty. The drive stalls slightly later at the 45 yard line in worse field position then the drive before and now bohl goes for it.

He waits till down 3 scores with no momentum and game out of hand to ever actually have a slightly more aggressive play calling (a pass to open a drive and a 4th down attempt). We never have any agressive/surprising/interesting play calling when the game is still in question, only once it is out of reach.

I get it, player execution..., Run run run to set up the pass, blah blah blah. But the simple fact remains bohl is never anything but conservative every game until it is out of hand and doesn't matter anymore
Last edited by WyomingAgJ on Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BRU-tal... This is gonna be a long season
I'm good for 3!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:53 pm BRU-tal... This is gonna be a long season
You can say that again. Just awful.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:51 pm These last 2 or so drives sum up my frustration with Bohls game plans.

We get a fg to start the 2nd half and a defensive stop. We have a tiny bit of momentum and move the ball to midfield on a drive that if we actually were to score in would bring the game back to a 1 score game. 4th and 1 or 1 and a half at the 50 and conservative bohl punts it.

Illinois drives field scores and makes it a 3 score game erasing any tiny bit of momentum we had and effectively winning the game.

Only at this point down 3 scores and no momentum and game likely out of reach, we call a pass on the first play of the drive for the first time all game. It's an 8 yard catch that instead becomes a first down on Illinois penalty. The drive stalls slightly later at the 45 yard line in worse field position then the drive before and now bohl goes for it.

He waits till down 3 scores with no momentum and game out of hand to ever actually have a slightly more aggressive play calling (a pass to open a drive and a 4th down attempt). We never have any agressive/surprising/interesting play calling when the game is still in question, only once it is out of reach.

I get it, player execution..., Run run run to set up the pass, blah blah blah. But the simple fact remains bohl is never anything but conservative every game until it is out of hand and doesn't matter anymore
I mean...I agree....but it's really easy to say that "if he goes for it they make it a one score game" ... it's more likely that they don't make it and Illinois scores with a short field and then we are killing him for going for it. What is going on is way deeper than scheme / decision making / play calling. We have always been at a disadvantage against B10 programs but I think we are starting to see it snowball. Illinois is not a powerhouse but they have better players at every position than most of the MWC. Coaching matters but when you can win every one on one matchup on the field....it doesn't matter as much.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

.....Year after year.
WYO1016 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:45 pm Even BetMGM is dragging our sh#t[#] offense

WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:03 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:51 pm These last 2 or so drives sum up my frustration with Bohls game plans.

I mean...I agree....but it's really easy to say that "if he goes for it they make it a one score game" ... it's more likely that they don't make it and Illinois scores with a short field and then we are killing him for going for it. What is going on is way deeper than scheme / decision making / play calling. We have always been at a disadvantage against B10 programs but I think we are starting to see it snowball. Illinois is not a powerhouse but they have better players at every position than most of the MWC. Coaching matters but when you can win every one on one matchup on the field....it doesn't matter as much.
Totally agree it is likely they don't make it. Or even if we do make the 4th down we still likely don't score on the drive but at least I personally would not have blamed him for trying and failing at that point. It would have showed we were playing to win. This game plan the whole game has looked like we played to lose close, which we failed at too. Christensen did that all the time too, calling games to try and lose close. I hate when coaches call games to lose close.

I actually don't think Illinois looks all that great. Maybe they will turn out to be but I think they are in for a long season too in the big 10 just as we are in for a very long season. We will see over the next couple weeks how some of the rest of the mw looks but I think multiple other mw teams would have been in this game till the end or potentially won it. And as such I think we are in for multiple blowouts to other mw schools this year
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

This in Year 9, cmon Pokes...6 friggin points...reallly.....