No more divisions starting in 2023

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

https://themw.com/news/2022/5/20/mounta ... -2023.aspx
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced Friday that beginning with the 2023 season, the league will eliminate its two-division format. The two teams with the highest Conference winning percentage will compete in the championship game.

The enhanced structure will ensure the top two teams meet in the championship game and put the Mountain West in the best position for a place in the College Football Playoff.

A scheduling model and tiebreaking procedures for future seasons are being finalized and will be announced in the coming weeks.

“Our membership has been working on concepts since last summer, as part of our strategic planning for the future of the Mountain West,” said MW Commissioner Craig Thompson. “A single-division approach provides maximum flexibility to adapt the Conference schedule as the landscape continues to evolve, while also allowing member institutions to play each other more frequently.”

The MW will continue with its existing Mountain and West Divisions in the fall of 2022, with the two divisional champions meeting in the MW Football Championship Game on Saturday, December 3.

On May 18, at the recommendation of its Football Oversight Committee, the NCAA Division I Council adopted legislation to remove the Football Bowl Subdivision requirements that must be met to annually exempt one conference championship contest. This change will provide discretion to each FBS conference to determine the method for identifying the participants in its conference championship game.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Wyokie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 pm https://themw.com/news/2022/5/20/mounta ... -2023.aspx
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced Friday that beginning with the 2023 season, the league will eliminate its two-division format. The two teams with the highest Conference winning percentage will compete in the championship game.

The enhanced structure will ensure the top two teams meet in the championship game and put the Mountain West in the best position for a place in the College Football Playoff.

A scheduling model and tiebreaking procedures for future seasons are being finalized and will be announced in the coming weeks.

“Our membership has been working on concepts since last summer, as part of our strategic planning for the future of the Mountain West,” said MW Commissioner Craig Thompson. “A single-division approach provides maximum flexibility to adapt the Conference schedule as the landscape continues to evolve, while also allowing member institutions to play each other more frequently.”

The MW will continue with its existing Mountain and West Divisions in the fall of 2022, with the two divisional champions meeting in the MW Football Championship Game on Saturday, December 3.

On May 18, at the recommendation of its Football Oversight Committee, the NCAA Division I Council adopted legislation to remove the Football Bowl Subdivision requirements that must be met to annually exempt one conference championship contest. This change will provide discretion to each FBS conference to determine the method for identifying the participants in its conference championship game.
Not sure how I feel about this change. The Hair is such a f-word follower...it is amazing that asshole still has his position!

Personally, I feel like the following teams need to ALWAYS be on UW's schedule, as long as we continue as the MWC:

CSewe
AFA
New Mexico
Utard State
Hawaii

SDSU, Nevada, and UNLV are all good destinations to travel to - so would love to have them on as well. Outside of that, I could care less if we ever play Fresno, SJSU, or Boise again.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wypoke
Buckaroo

Bohl's Blessings Continue! This guy is leading a charmed life.

!. Bohl willl not get canned regardless of won/loss record this coming year. No "Back Bone" Burman will not stir the pot.
2. No "Back Bone" will be promoting basketball and the stadium renovations will keep him occupied.
3. Fans attention will be devoted to basketball's anticipated success next season. Bohl's overall record will be accepted quietly as we have come to accept his poor performance as a yearly occurrence such as spring following winter.
4. Josh Allen will have a terrific year and Wyoming will be mentioned often. Bohl will get credit for recruiting Allen even though Allen fell into Bohl's lap.
5. No more Mountain West divisions stating in 2023 means Bohl will not have to defend not winning a division championship.
6. Perhaps with no divisions Bohl will escape playing Fresno and Boise State in the same year.
7. UW's President and Board of Trustees' attention will be devoted to the financials of running a university in a declining national economy coupled with stadium renovation costs.

Bohl is like a cat...9 lives and always lands on his feet.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:04 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 pm https://themw.com/news/2022/5/20/mounta ... -2023.aspx

Not sure how I feel about this change. The Hair is such a f##k[#] follower...it is amazing that asshole still has his position!

Personally, I feel like the following teams need to ALWAYS be on UW's schedule, as long as we continue as the MWC:

CSewe
AFA
New Mexico
Utard State
Hawaii

SDSU, Nevada, and UNLV are all good destinations to travel to - so would love to have them on as well. Outside of that, I could care less if we ever play Fresno, SJSU, or Boise again.
I'm with you except not a fan of Reno; the city.

Also would prefer to never play byu light ever again.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:06 am

Not sure how I feel about this change. The Hair is such a f##k[#] follower...it is amazing that asshole still has his position!

CSewe
AFA
New Mexico
Utard State
Hawaii

Why should we care about playing Hawaii every year? I can understand a little with USU but only because of proximity.

I'm with you for sure on Fart Colons, academy, and New Mexico though.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Despite the old trophy series, I'm mostly indifferent to HI. However, if they are on the schedule each year, we can get extra game every other year (are they still doing this?) and nice to tell recruits guaranteed game in HI every other year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:18 pm Despite the old trophy series, I'm mostly indifferent to HI. However, if they are on the schedule each year, we can get extra game every other year (are they still doing this?) and nice to tell recruits guaranteed game in HI every other year.
The extra game is still allowed but it would mean a 13 game regular season.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:11 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:06 am

CSewe
AFA
New Mexico
Utard State
Hawaii

Why should we care about playing Hawaii every year? I can understand a little with USU but only because of proximity.

I'm with you for sure on Fart Colons, academy, and New Mexico though.
3 Reasons for Hawaii:

1. It is a free trip to the island for our kids 2x during their "alleged" 4 year scholarship.
2. Great travel destination (selfishly speaking)
3. We could have a 7th home game by having them on the schedule, so $$$$$
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Why does nobody like the idea of having BSU on the schedule? Is it just because they pretty much dominate us? Are they known as a "cheap shot" team? If that's the case...why does everybody want AFA on the schedule?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 am Why does nobody like the idea of having BSU on the schedule? Is it just because they pretty much dominate us? Are they known as a "cheap shot" team? If that's the case...why does everybody want AFA on the schedule?
For me...

1. The fanbase is full of assholes
2. Blue Turf
3. The fanbase is full of assholes
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

wypoke wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:43 pm Bohl's Blessings Continue! This guy is leading a charmed life.

!. Bohl willl not get canned regardless of won/loss record this coming year. No "Back Bone" Burman will not stir the pot.
2. No "Back Bone" will be promoting basketball and the stadium renovations will keep him occupied.
3. Fans attention will be devoted to basketball's anticipated success next season. Bohl's overall record will be accepted quietly as we have come to accept his poor performance as a yearly occurrence such as spring following winter.
4. Josh Allen will have a terrific year and Wyoming will be mentioned often. Bohl will get credit for recruiting Allen even though Allen fell into Bohl's lap.
5. No more Mountain West divisions stating in 2023 means Bohl will not have to defend not winning a division championship.
6. Perhaps with no divisions Bohl will escape playing Fresno and Boise State in the same year.
7. UW's President and Board of Trustees' attention will be devoted to the financials of running a university in a declining national economy coupled with stadium renovation costs.

Bohl is like a cat...9 lives and always lands on his feet.
I like your post, keep 'em coming. A lot of truth above folks...
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 am
307bball wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 am Why does nobody like the idea of having BSU on the schedule? Is it just because they pretty much dominate us? Are they known as a "cheap shot" team? If that's the case...why does everybody want AFA on the schedule?
For me...

1. The fanbase is full of assholes
2. Blue Turf
3. The fanbase is full of assholes
Fair enough lol!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I don't like or dislike bsu on the schedule. For me, other than csu, af, and maybe unm, the rest of the MWC doesn't really interest me other than schedule fillers.

Obviously, there are situations each season that raise the interst level for a given team (they are top 25, we need a win for x reason, etc.).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

They are cocksuckers
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:17 pm
They are cocksuckers
I think the blue turf is enough on its own.

I'd actually be ok with not playing Air Force every year. I hate the game. If there's one thing that's worse than what we've watched with Bohls offense, it's Air Force's offense. On one hand people cry about our offense but will gladly slurp down AF offense. Sure, AF has had a decent run, but before that they sucked. I would not trade our offense for AF even if it meant 1 more win a year. I hate it that much. I get it, we haven't been able to pass since JA left but at least I've watched some passing occasionally. You can make arguments that we only have 3 running plays but AF has like 1 and its dumb. You don't have to argue with me on this because I realize without our passing game, we're essentially AF that wastes plays on passes.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:14 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:17 pm
They are cocksuckers
I think the blue turf is enough on its own.

I'd actually be ok with not playing Air Force every year. I hate the game. If there's one thing that's worse than what we've watched with Bohls offense, it's Air Force's offense. On one hand people cry about our offense but will gladly slurp down AF offense. Sure, AF has had a decent run, but before that they sucked. I would not trade our offense for AF even if it meant 1 more win a year. I hate it that much. I get it, we haven't been able to pass since JA left but at least I've watched some passing occasionally. You can make arguments that we only have 3 running plays but AF has like 1 and its dumb. You don't have to argue with me on this because I realize without our passing game, we're essentially AF that wastes plays on passes.
I personally like watching option based offenses as something against the grain in the current college football climate. What I don’t like are the cut blocks that lead to many significant knee injuries.

That said - Air Force is in for big trouble unless it substantially alters its approach. Starting next year - cut blocks are being outlawed outside of the tackle box in a big change to the college rules.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

AF has actually had a dangerous pass game the last couple years. Like 3x the yards per attempt as us, but I agree. AF’s offense is predicated around a dirty, but somehow legal play. They are garbage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 am AF has actually had a dangerous pass game the last couple years. Like 3x the yards per attempt as us, but I agree. AF’s offense is predicated around a dirty, but somehow legal play. They are garbage
No longer legal. Going forward - only offensive linemen may cut block and only within the tackle box. No more sweeping the fullback to dive at and take out our linebackers' knees.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 am AF has actually had a dangerous pass game the last couple years. Like 3x the yards per attempt as us, but I agree. AF’s offense is predicated around a dirty, but somehow legal play. They are garbage
No longer legal. Going forward - only offensive linemen may cut block and only within the tackle box. No more sweeping the fullback to dive at and take out our linebackers' knees.
Cut blocking should be illegal too. Also trash
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Getting rid of divisions is a smart move given the current playoff situation. As a relatively new Cowboy fan (non-native, began attending the University a few years after the airport meeting and the split from the Super WAC), I would have loved to have seen the divisions broke up into MWC originals and WAC add-ons. I think that would have produced palpable hate between divisions. With talk about who would we want to play each year for our 3-4 "rivalry games," here is how I would rank my preferences....

1 Colorado St-best rivalry in the conference. This one is obvious.
2 Air Force- Proximity and I'm a sucker for history.
3 Boise St- Would be the best conference win almost every year and the best resume builder.
4 Utah St- Proximity and similarity between the 2 schools
5 San Diego St- Mostly for resume building since their national perception among MWC schools is generally in the top 3
6 Fresno St- Completely neutral on the Bulldogs
7 New Mexico- Damn they suck. Wish they would give the front range schools better representation. How in the hell have we lost to them these last 2 times?
8 Hawaii- They do nothing for strength of schedule and winning out there has been tough.
9 UNLV- No excuse for how much they've sucked for how long they have sucked.
10 Nevada- zero emotional attachment
11 San Jose St- less than zero emotional attachment. Wins against them mean nothing, losses are crippling.