Bohl 2023….

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

If Pokes having a losing season. Should or could Bohl be fired. ? I wonder what burman would do.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:33 pm If Pokes having a losing season. Should or could Bohl be fired. ? I wonder what burman would do.
Burman would probably just extend Bohl's contract and call it a day.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wypoke
Buckaroo

Bohl should have been fired after last season. A losing record after 8 years warranted termination.
He promised to re-engineer the offense two years ago...how did that work out? He threw our two quarterbacks under " the bus" after they entered the portal. As head coach isn't he responsible for the recruiting , development and performance of all team players? Now he says he looked in the mirror and will alter how he interacts with his players...can you buy that?
Burman will not fire Bohl. Mediocre performance and winning meaningless bowl games equates to success in Burman's eyes.
I saw my first Poke game in 1965 and have traveled all over the country attending away games many of them far distant trips. As an alum I bleed brown and gold. I am now exhausted and exasperated with the Bohl's performance.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think UW football has a good year. Peasley is better than what we had at quarterback,and Swen will be like a Brian Hill type. It’s possible if stars align that we win a division or the conference. I thinks it is a possibility. I’m no Burma’ns or Bohl fan though. This is year 9 and he played in a way poop conference compared to prior coaches.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Bohl will tie Eaton for most seasons coached in Wyoming football history this year. I don’t think we will have a very good season. But a silver lining for another Bohl year would to knock off Eaton from the record books. Bohl is a much much better representative for our University than Eaton and the stain he left.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

wypoke wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:24 pm
Burman will not fire Bohl. Mediocre performance and winning meaningless bowl games equates to success in Burman's eyes.
I think you could say this about the vast majority of cowboy fans. There are a lot of people in the seats at War Memorial on Saturday's that are just fine with the good home wining percentage. To them, everything else is gravy. It's about putting butts in seats and that has not been unsuccessful since Bohl has been here.

The mediocre results and meaningless Bowl games don't matter as long as attendance/donations remain strong. We mal-content forum dwellers are the outliers. Unless I miss my guess...we are there through thick and thin...it's our mood and attitude that changes.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I think that 4 wins in 2022 nets Bohl another season.
Not saying that I like the idea, just saying I think 4 wins keeps Burman from making a change.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:00 pm I think that 4 wins in 2022 nets Bohl another season.
Not saying that I like the idea, just saying I think 4 wins keeps Burman from making a change.
I don’t think there is a scenario where he gets fired. Last year sucked the way it ended but I think most fans view it as a mild success. It’s also different because of who we beat. Beating CSU and Utah st. is a bigger positive than losing to UNM and Hawaii is a negative.

Looking back at that season pisses me off. Even a mildly decent passing game gets us 9 wins or more. Ugh
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:49 pm
cowpoke pride wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:00 pm I think that 4 wins in 2022 nets Bohl another season.
I don’t think there is a scenario where he gets fired. Last year sucked the way it ended but I think most fans view it as a mild success. It’s also different because of who we beat. Beating CSU and Utah st. is a bigger positive than losing to UNM and Hawaii is a negative.

Looking back at that season pisses me off. Even a mildly decent passing game gets us 9 wins or more. Ugh
I agree - I see no win/loss circumstances where Bohl gets fired next year. He might decide to retire however if the year is particularly unsuccessful/stressful and if it is clear that the program is in for some future struggles.

If Bohl is successful next year and takes this young and inexperienced team to a bowl game, then I will be really impressed.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Lots of older coaches across college athletics are retiring. Though they aren't always specifically saying it, I'd bet the new era isn't that fun for them.

Bohl will step down as the WYO HC sometime in the future. NIL and transfers may expedite that but he won't be fired.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Bohl won't be fired. I agree with some in the thread that a bad season may hasten his retirement, especially with NIL and the portal game these days. If we aren't going to extend him, which I hope we don't, he either needs to resign or signal it's his last year and Burman needs to line up the next guy so we can shore up the roster from portal defections.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:06 pm
If Bohl is successful next year and takes this young and inexperienced team to a bowl game, then I will be really impressed.
Meh, our "most experienced team in ncaa football" was largely a dud or mediocre at best against arguably the weakest schedule in cfb; the youth excuse is gone. He or fans can't play that card. Year 1 and maybe 2? Sure. Now? No way in hell.

He better be successful in a mediocre to weak conference after having nearly a decade to build the program in his image. Nope. Bohl is out of excuses.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:55 pm
Meh, our "most experienced team in ncaa football" was largely a dud or mediocre at best against arguably the weakest schedule in cfb; the youth excuse is gone. He or fans can't play that card. Year 1 and maybe 2? Sure. Now? No way in hell.

He better be successful in a mediocre to weak conference after having nearly a decade to build the program in his image. Nope. Bohl is out of excuses.
He is out of excuses. He lost me last season - or maybe the year before. I was walking across the parking lot. We were tailgating early. Bohl was walking from his office over to the team hotel. I had visited with him numerous times before, including introducing him to a decent recruit that ended up at CU. I wished him good luck and gave him a "Go Pokes!" and he just walked past me. Granted he likely had a lot on his mind, but he could have said something. He just walked past - stone-faced.

Irrespective of his horrible bedside manner, last year was it for me. Fresno, UNM and Hawaii. All at home. All horrific losses - we weren't close to competitive. UNM was unforgiveable. They sucked last year and made us look like pikers. Fresno was a bit more understandable, but we still played like garbage. Hawaii was the worst game I've seen at the War in a long time. Looking back, that Hawaii team was on the verge of collapse due to Graham's shenanigans and they still found the intestinal fortitude and will to kick us to hell and gone. Turns out, as coach later admitted, they hadn't prepared the team very well. While heaping praise on Graham's stellar coaching (which we now know is an opinion that is highly questionable), CB said they had no answers. He's paid a lot of money to have answers.

I actually think that the OC may have ability, but with CB we will likely never know (unless he is hired after the head man retires). Hearing his comments after the Spring Game and about last year's Spring Game play calling (per KFBC Sportzone discussion), I think we are cooked this season. If we win 4, I will be shocked.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I am in agreement with most on this thread - in essence - Bohl has worn me out as well. I figured 5-6 years, and we would be at the peak of his coaching ability...and maybe we were. Last year was so damn disappointing...with Bohl's heavily inflated expectations included. UW football is slowly turning into what has happened with the Lambs, it is a social event, with few caring about what is going on between the stands. A recipe for mediocrity and apathy.

4 or less wins this year - bye bye mother f-word.
5 to 6 wins this year - Burman better put him on notice.
6 or more wins this year - play the f-word lottery, cause we lucky.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Only 2 winning conference records in 8 years - both with JA. There is absolutely no reason to think we will be better than mediocre this year. Mediocre would be good. I can't see us winning more than 5 games. I could see it going a lot worse.

I agree that there is no chance he will be fired. The stands will have to be empty for that to happen. Sad.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:54 am Only 2 winning conference records in 8 years - both with JA. There is absolutely no reason to think we will be better than mediocre this year. Mediocre would be good. I can't see us winning more than 5 games. I could see it going a lot worse.

I agree that there is no chance he will be fired. The stands will have to be empty for that to happen. Sad.
All speculation but I really wonder if Josh didn't happen, would Bohl still be here?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:24 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:54 am Only 2 winning conference records in 8 years - both with JA. There is absolutely no reason to think we will be better than mediocre this year. Mediocre would be good. I can't see us winning more than 5 games. I could see it going a lot worse.

All speculation but I really wonder if Josh didn't happen, would Bohl still be here?
Ya, um, I am gonna have to go with a ... big fat f-word resounding emphatic NO! :tickedoff:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:16 am

He is out of excuses. He lost me last season - or maybe the year before. I was walking across the parking lot. We were tailgating early. Bohl was walking from his office over to the team hotel. I had visited with him numerous times before, including introducing him to a decent recruit that ended up at CU. I wished him good luck and gave him a "Go Pokes!" and he just walked past me. Granted he likely had a lot on his mind, but he could have said something. He just walked past - stone-faced.
Many players and coaches get in a "zone" before the game. I know I did as kicker, just to help block everything out. There are plenty of reasons not to like Bohl but that probably shouldn't be one of them.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Many players and coaches get in a "zone" before the game. I know I did as kicker, just to help block everything out. There are plenty of reasons not to like Bohl but that probably shouldn't be one of them.
Agree 100%. I am the same way. I can get locked into what I am thinking about or doing and am oblivious to the entire world.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Cornpoke wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Maybe. If it was the only time he was cold and prickly, I'd say you were right. Based on other experience, I think he is conceited and has an ego that are off-putting. Pair that experience with the fact that I think he is driving our football program into the ground and I can't give him the benefit of any doubt and think his arrogance is wholly unearned.

On the other hand, I am fairly certain that Linder has a big ego too. But he wins and is adaptable to address and implement change if such is required to help him win. He is arrogant, but he's earned the leeway to be arrogant because he backs it up.

In either case, I would caution that Wyoming is different. Our politics are very, very personal. You can't afford to be a jerk and expect to maintain loyalty. You can't afford many instances where you are in a zone and don't acknowledge others' mere existence. This is not hard. A simple head nod and smile, "Thank you" or "Go Pokes" is not hard. Again, if it was the first time, I would concede the point. The reality is that he is an arrogant, cocksure, pompous guy that gets by with a tough guy vocabulary and doesn't back it up on the scoreboard. He is needlessly defiant and stubborn. And it all irks the hell out of me.