Covid years and their impact on recruiting....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I'm not 100 percent clear how this works so please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understand it, people that use their bonus covid year dont count against the scholarship limit. So if all three of our seniors came back their 3 scholarships don't count against the limit, so we only have nine guys that do count against the limit. That means we can recruit 3 players, have our seniors return and basically have 15 guys plus the walk-ons on the roster. With Caden Powell committed we still have 2 scholarships to fill, regardless of what the seniors do.

If thats the way it works, next year could be a huge year for Wyo.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:35 pm I'm not 100 percent clear how this works so please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understand it, people that use their bonus covid year dont count against the scholarship limit. So if all three of our seniors came back their 3 scholarships don't count against the limit, so we only have nine guys that do count against the limit. That means we can recruit 3 players, have our seniors return and basically have 15 guys plus the walk-ons on the roster. With Caden Powell committed we still have 2 scholarships to fill, regardless of what the seniors do.

No. I don't believe that is correct. Players are granted an extra year of eligibility but the scholarship limit remains the same and if the player exercises the extra year and uses a scholarship, then that counts against the limit. This is why there are so many football players still in the transfer portal (i.e. more players than landing spots because of scholly limits).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:35 pm I'm not 100 percent clear how this works so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is explained here: https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus- ... oronavirus

"For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season."

It looks like the waiver against the scholly limit was limited to D1 fall sports for the 2021-2022 season. Perhaps they extend it but I haven't seen that?? Anyone else?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Yeah, that would make more sense. My brain has a hard time processing this covid year crap. It just doesn't compute for some reason.

So you're better off letting your below average/average seniors go if you have a good recruit to replace them and keeping the exceptional ones on if they aren't going pro.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:39 pm

"For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season."

It looks like the waiver against the scholly limit was limited to D1 fall sports for the 2021-2022 season. Perhaps they extend it but I haven't seen that?? Anyone else?
You would almost think they have to or it limits the opportunity of high school athletes to land a scholarship. Until all the athletes with a Covid year are gone, it would really make it difficult for most high school seniors to get an opportunity.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:41 pm Yeah, that would make more sense. My brain has a hard time processing this covid year crap. It just doesn't compute for some reason.

So you're better off letting your below average/average seniors go if you have a good recruit to replace them and keeping the exceptional ones on if they aren't going pro.
I believe that is correct absent some additional scholly limit waivers. There are a TON of 1 year eligible football players remaining in the transfer portal. They may be forced to walk-on somewhere if they want to play. A smart school might arrange to sign a bunch of those players as walk-ons with some NIL incentive in-hand (i.e. have the boosters basically pay their way).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:43 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:39 pm

You would almost think they have to or it limits the opportunity of high school athletes to land a scholarship. Until all the athletes with a Covid year are gone, it would really make it difficult for most high school seniors to get an opportunity.
It doesn't seem to be playing out that way in football too much. Outside of Utah State and a few other schools, programs continued to bring in high school classes. But I agree with you that this additional year is creating some problems. Perhaps we see an Alabama or an Ohio State football program land 25 'walk-on' senior transfers by arranging for NIL money to them.