Bracketology

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

CBS/Jerry Palm has Wyoming as a 6 seed playing 11 seed Indiana.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

Sports Illustrated/Kevin Sweeney has Wyoming an 8 seed against TCU

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/14/m ... le-memphis

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It’s wild that we may actually wear home uniforms in the tournament. None of even Baileys teams were ever projected as a single digit seed.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

It’s BS BYU is still in the conversation for a bid. Complete BS!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

8 seeds i sure hope not, because the next team to be faced is that dreaded #1...i hope we are a 7 somewhere anywhere
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Lunardi has the Pokes as an 8 seed now in the West San Francisco. The goats are at 7.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Does a SDSU loss at Boise help the Pokes with an at-large bid to the dance?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

does Boise hit a f-word 3 every time they need one or what, jesus
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

I just can't stand how f-word lucky Boise is. dumbass from san diego misses both free throws when they're up by 1 and then boise gets a tripped called and hits both free throws. game.

probably just decided the regular season champ. we could have really used this boise loss.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:11 pm I just can't stand how f##k[#] lucky Boise is. dumbass from san diego misses both free throws when they're up by 1 and then boise gets a tripped called and hits both free throws. game.

probably just decided the regular season champ. we could have really used this boise loss.
so lucky
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Question for all you bracket-ologists out there. I was just thinking...why does being a projected 8-seed like Wyoming is, make your position so precarious? Why would we not just slip to say a 10 seed?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:55 am Question for all you bracket-ologists out there. I was just thinking...why does being a projected 8-seed like Wyoming is, make your position so precarious? Why would we not just slip to say a 10 seed?
Depends on who the losses are to. Also when Wyoming loses a game they are going to drop more than the others in the conference because of the metrics used by the NCAA. Having that New Mexico loss on the resume is very bad. So any loss from now on compounds the problem.

If we didn’t have that bad loss on the resume it wouldn’t be as much of a problem. Wyoming needs to win those home games remaining and split with CSU and UNLV to not have to worry about anything.

If they lose to both CSU and UNLV, then go and lose in the quarterfinals or semifinals of the MWC tournament, then Wyoming will be on the bubble with a chance of not getting in.

I would actually rather not be an 8/9 seed anyways. Means you have to play the 1 seed the 2nd game if you win your first one.

Hopefully we can win out and get a 6 seed or go in as a 12 seed and get away from the 1 seed.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am
307bball wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:55 am Question for all you bracket-ologists out there. I was just thinking...why does being a projected 8-seed like Wyoming is, make your position so precarious? Why would we not just slip to say a 10 seed?
Depends on who the losses are to. Also when Wyoming loses a game they are going to drop more than the others in the conference because of the metrics used by the NCAA. Having that New Mexico loss on the resume is very bad. So any loss from now on compounds the problem.

If we didn’t have that bad loss on the resume it wouldn’t be as much of a problem. Wyoming needs to win those home games remaining and split with CSU and UNLV to not have to worry about anything.

If they lose to both CSU and UNLV, then go and lose in the quarterfinals or semifinals of the MWC tournament, then Wyoming will be on the bubble with a chance of not getting in.

I would actually rather not be an 8/9 seed anyways. Means you have to play the 1 seed the 2nd game if you win your first one.

Hopefully we can win out and get a 6 seed or go in as a 12 seed and get away from the 1 seed.
I think I did not ask the question very well...I did some reading up on the selection process. There are 68 teams invited to the tournament with 32 slots taken up by automatic qualifiers (conference tournament champions generally). That means there are 36 slots remaining for everybody else. Since not every top flight team will win their conference's automatic bid, some of those at-large slots will obviously go to them. Imagine a conference with 2 or 3 teams in the top 15...only one of them will win the automatic bid and the other will get an invite. Teams in that criteria will eat up about a different number of selection slots every year depending on how conference tournaments shake out. I would guess that on a typical year that means there are less than 30 slots available after the power teams that did not win their conference's automatic bid are accounted for.

So the jist ... as I understand it ...is that the number of at-large slots available may be quite small...thus bumping Wyoming from the tournament. Is this about right?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am I would actually rather not be an 8/9 seed anyways.
If 8 or9 I wonder if the Pokes could refuse and instead win the NIT (would be some home games)
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:42 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am I would actually rather not be an 8/9 seed anyways.
If 8 or9 I wonder if the Pokes could refuse and instead win the NIT (would be some home games)
Really?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

I'll take losing in the first round of the NCAA every year over any result in the NIT
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:36 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am

I think I did not ask the question very well...I did some reading up on the selection process. There are 68 teams invited to the tournament with 32 slots taken up by automatic qualifiers (conference tournament champions generally). That means there are 36 slots remaining for everybody else. Since not every top flight team will win their conference's automatic bid, some of those at-large slots will obviously go to them. Imagine a conference with 2 or 3 teams in the top 15...only one of them will win the automatic bid and the other will get an invite. Teams in that criteria will eat up about a different number of selection slots every year depending on how conference tournaments shake out. I would guess that on a typical year that means there are less than 30 slots available after the power teams that did not win their conference's automatic bid are accounted for.

So the jist ... as I understand it ...is that the number of at-large slots available may be quite small...thus bumping Wyoming from the tournament. Is this about right?
My bad.

Here is how it stands right now according to John Gasaway on ESPN for Bubble Watch.

Locks: 23 teams

The Bubble: 39 teams for 24 available slots. (Already took out conference champions as Automatic qualifiers.)

Should be in: 13 teams

Work to do : 26 teams

So there are basically 39 teams with a good enough at large resume to sneak in the tournament. Only 24 spots though. So 15 of those teams will be left out. Which ones depends how the last couple weeks go and such.

Right now Wyoming is in the “Should be in” crowd.

But if Wyoming loses 3 more games, well then you never know. Not saying we wouldn’t get in but it wouldn’t be as much of a lock as it is now per say.

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

No team would ever do that.

1. Because the NCAA tournament is the biggest tournament and you give yourself a shot at going against all the big boys for that year and a chance to win the whole thing ( even if the odds aren’t in your favor)

2. Playing in the NCAA tournament earns you tournament credits for each single game which makes quite a bit of money. More than the NIT would.

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

This is the single dumbest take I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying something.

An NCAA tournament credit this year will be worth roughly $340,000. We'll get one credit for making the tournament. We'll get another for each win. We also KEEP GETTING THEM for 6 years after the tournament ends. Just making the tournament will net $2,040,000 over that six year period. Each game we win gets us another credit. That doesn't even take into account the intangible benefits a tournament run will give the University.

The NIT pays $4,000 for each game a team plays in, and they only pay it once.

Is an 8/9 seed ideal? I think we'd all like to see better. Should we give up $2,036,000 and go to the NIT instead? It's insulting to even answer that question.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm
This is the single dumbest take I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying something.

An NCAA tournament credit this year will be worth roughly $340,000. We'll get one credit for making the tournament. We'll get another for each win. We also KEEP GETTING THEM for 6 years after the tournament ends. Just making the tournament will net $2,040,000 over that six year period. Each game we win gets us another credit. That doesn't even take into account the intangible benefits a tournament run will give the University.

The NIT pays $4,000 for each game a team plays in, and they only pay it once.

Is an 8/9 seed ideal? I think we'd all like to see better. Should we give up $2,036,000 and go to the NIT instead? It's insulting to even answer that question.
Lol… 😂

I tried to answer it assuming he was more of a football fan than a basketball fan.

jwy_poke
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:41 pm
I'll take losing in the first round of the NCAA every year over any result in the NIT
Programs do turn down the NIT tourney though completely different.