Just noticed the 1934 championship banner

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
springs_poke
Buckaroo

Was back in the AA. I think it was down for awhile? Glad to see it back! I know this has probably been discussed, just thought I would mention it again!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

You mean 1943?
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:32 pm You mean 1943?
1934 Championship: https://kingfm.com/march-madness-flackb ... mpionship/
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

It'd be interesting to see someone dig out the archives of that 1934 title. Obviously college basketball was a lot different back then, as I don't even think there was an NCAA Tournament or NIT back then.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

GoPokes86 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:02 am It'd be interesting to see someone dig out the archives of that 1934 title. Obviously college basketball was a lot different back then, as I don't even think there was an NCAA Tournament or NIT back then.
They were absolutely dominant back then. They had something like a 60 game home win streak in the Field House.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

GoPokes86 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:02 am It'd be interesting to see someone dig out the archives of that 1934 title. Obviously college basketball was a lot different back then, as I don't even think there was an NCAA Tournament or NIT back then.
First NCAA Tournament was in 1939, a few months before World War II started. Fun fact: Oregon won that first championship but as the Webfoots. They didn't become the Ducks until years later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_NCAA ... Tournament

First NIT Tournament was in 1938 with Temple winning that first tournament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Nati ... Tournament
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

The first national championship tournament, in 1939, was conducted by the National Association of Basketball Coaches and sanctioned by the NCAA, which took over the tournament in 1940.

Prior to that the Helms Foundation (Los Angeles) retroactively selected Basketball National Champions from 1901 to 1941. In addition the Helms Foundation selected national college basketball champions from 1942-82. In most cases the selections were the NCAA tournament winners, however in 1939, 1940, 1944 and 1954 they were different.

Their losses in 1934 were to Tulsa and the Denver Piggly Wiggly Pigs (later changed to the Nuggets). Denver was not a college team, but in the Missouri Valley Amateur League.

The 1933–34 Wyoming Cowboys basketball team represented the University of Wyoming during the 1933–34 NCAA men's basketball season in the United States. The head coach was Willard Witte, coaching in his fourth season with the Cowboys. The team finished the season with a 26–4 record[1] and were named national champions by the Helms Athletic Foundation.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

TrackPoke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:23 am
Thanks for the correction and the info. I did not know the Pokes were champs in 1934. So all of the announcers at the Big Dance that always say Wyoming is a one time NCAA champion are wrong. Good to know.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:58 pm
TrackPoke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:23 am
Thanks for the correction and the info. I did not know the Pokes were champs in 1934. So all of the announcers at the Big Dance that always say Wyoming is a one time NCAA champion are wrong. Good to know.
I stand corrected again. I guess they are correct when they say Wyoming has only won one NCAA championship since the other came before the NCAA tourney started.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure that the 1943 National Champion Cowboys played in The Half Acre. I don't know about the 1934 team. Half Acre? If one of you already pointed this out ... My apologies. Again, I'm pretty sure that War Memorial Field House Opened in 1950, same as War Memorial Stadium. I think the Field House was considered "state of the art" back then. As an Ironworker, I helped build The Double A, but I have many more fond memories in The Field House. Everett Shelton, the coach of the 1943 team, was still coaching in The Field House, so maybe that 60 game home win streak stretched through both the Half Acre and the Field House. Something for you historians to look up.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

WyoGeezer wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:23 pm Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure that the 1943 National Champion Cowboys played in The Half Acre. I don't know about the 1934 team. Half Acre? If one of you already pointed this out ... My apologies. Again, I'm pretty sure that War Memorial Field House Opened in 1950, same as War Memorial Stadium. I think the Field House was considered "state of the art" back then. As an Ironworker, I helped build The Double A, but I have many more fond memories in The Field House. Everett Shelton, the coach of the 1943 team, was still coaching in The Field House, so maybe that 60 game home win streak stretched through both the Half Acre and the Field House. Something for you historians to look up.
WyoGeezer wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:23 pm Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure that the 1943 National Champion Cowboys played in The Half Acre. I don't know about the 1934 team. Half Acre? If one of you already pointed this out ... My apologies. Again, I'm pretty sure that War Memorial Field House Opened in 1950, same as War Memorial Stadium. I think the Field House was considered "state of the art" back then. As an Ironworker, I helped build The Double A, but I have many more fond memories in The Field House. Everett Shelton, the coach of the 1943 team, was still coaching in The Field House, so maybe that 60 game home win streak stretched through both the Half Acre and the Field House. Something for you historians to look up.
I'm sure you're right. I didnt know the exact time period, I just remember my dad telling me the old buildings had better home court advantages then the AA and that we won 60 in a row at home. I'm not sure what basketball arena it was in.