Recruiting....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Does anybody know how recruiting is going? We have like 10 commits. Transfer portal?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

It’s been pretty quiet
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyoVaquero wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am Does anybody know how recruiting is going? We have like 10 commits. Transfer portal?
I don't expect this staff to use the Transfer Portal much. But they have also shown they will pick the right guy up of he is there and fits.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

After last nights game. 2 5 star receivers have us as their favorites. lol
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

Any word recruiting?. I really don't know what Bohl could be selling the kids on now.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:55 am Any word recruiting?. I really don't know what Bohl could be selling the kids on now.
I mean I get the disappointment. I do. I'm in the same boat but it's not like football is a complete dumpster fire. UW is a great school, beautiful campus, and the football team has a fantastic reputation of being disciplined, working hard, maintaining a good culture, and getting kids graduated. Bohl has built a very respectable program in most areas.

A poop offense just means more of an opportunity to see the field faster. D is having some turnover so also opportunity to compete for playing time immediately.

I guarantee most recruits aren't thinking, hmm, they only throw the ball x # of times or only run y plays. If it mattered that much, we'd be turning away top talent on the line and rbs. Bohl's offense should be a linemen's wet dream. Same with RB.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I believe COVID and the extra year of eligibility is still affecting available scholarships.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

Hopefully he brings in a good class. Hopefully we dont have a major issues with transfers.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I bet that to recruits, Wyoming doesn't look like the worst option in the universe. Yes, we're not winning any championships, but we're also not a complete dumpster fire.

But more importantly, despite never attracting highly rated recruits, Wyoming has a pretty dang solid number of alumni playing on Sundays now. If I was a 3 star defensive player willing to work my ass off and do whatever it took to get to the show, I'd give Wyoming a long hard look rather than disappear among the highly touted recruits elsewhere.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ESPN ranked the most stable programs in FBS and Wyoming was #1. Although that may not be all that attractive to recruits I think it speaks well of our University and overall program. Our players graduate, work hard, and stay out of trouble. I would hope our coaches are advertising that when out on the recruiting trail. Despite my differences in the Bohl's football philosophy, I think he cares about the players and our culture and I believe he would finish his career here if we allow it. I am proud that UW produces true student athletes. That's a rarity in the current landscape of college football
I'm good for 3!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:18 am ESPN ranked the most stable programs in FBS and Wyoming was #1. Although that may not be all that attractive to recruits I think it speaks well of our University and overall program. Our players graduate, work hard, and stay out of trouble. I would hope our coaches are advertising that when out on the recruiting trail. Despite my differences in the Bohl's football philosophy, I think he cares about the players and our culture and I believe he would finish his career here if we allow it. I am proud that UW produces true student athletes. That's a rarity in the current landscape of college football
What are they using to define stable? An overpaid, over the hill head coach that can’t be fired because the AD borked yet another extension and no other program in their right mind would buy him out? With very few exceptions, overwhelmingly middling players with little chance of being lured away by the transfer portal? A fan base handcuffed to the only 4 year institution in the state?

Then yeah. I agree.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 am
Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:18 am ESPN ranked the most stable programs in FBS and Wyoming was #1. Although that may not be all that attractive to recruits I think it speaks well of our University and overall program. Our players graduate, work hard, and stay out of trouble. I would hope our coaches are advertising that when out on the recruiting trail. Despite my differences in the Bohl's football philosophy, I think he cares about the players and our culture and I believe he would finish his career here if we allow it. I am proud that UW produces true student athletes. That's a rarity in the current landscape of college football
What are they using to define stable? An overpaid, over the hill head coach that can’t be fired because the AD borked yet another extension and no other program in their right mind would buy him out? With very few exceptions, overwhelmingly middling players with little chance of being lured away by the transfer portal? A fan base handcuffed to the only 4 year institution in the state?

Then yeah. I agree.
Question on the topic of HC extensions...isn't it pretty much par for the course to overpay for these extensions? Seems like every program that is trying to get into a new coach has to deal with a hefty buyout. Why are programs doing this? Is it to protect a coach from getting poached? Maybe it sends a message to recruits about how long the coach will be there?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:30 am
Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 am

Then yeah. I agree.
Question on the topic of HC extensions...isn't it pretty much par for the course to overpay for these extensions? Seems like every program that is trying to get into a new coach has to deal with a hefty buyout. Why are programs doing this? Is it to protect a coach from getting poached? Maybe it sends a message to recruits about how long the coach will be there?
Hefty buyouts have become standard provisions in coaching contracts. Because of this, few decent head coaches are willing to accept a contract that doesn't include one. It protects the coach in accepting the job from the downside of the job (i.e. the team struggling and the University moving on which will dramatically impact the coach's ability for future earnings - see Steve Addazio). It is a mitigation of risk provision for a coach. In exchange, Universities typically demand some sort of 'mutual buyout' provision in the event that the coach leaves early. BTW and for those that may not know - a buyout is really just a 'liquidated damages' provision for a University (or coach) terminating an employment agreement early.

BTW - these types of employment protection provisions have become much more common in other professions as well because of recent labor shortages.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

I know that Norvell is mostly flipping Nevada recruits to CSU, but it appears that the worm is turning in Fart Colons. Good thing we have the Potato Bowl appearance to attract recruits... :roll:
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm I know that Norvell is mostly flipping Nevada recruits to CSU, but it appears that the worm is turning in Fart Colons. Good thing we have the Potato Bowl appearance to attract recruits... :roll:
I wouldn't be too concerned with the sheep. Click on the picture below. They were the 3rd most underperforming team in the country this year.

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:20 am
LawPoke wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm I know that Norvell is mostly flipping Nevada recruits to CSU, but it appears that the worm is turning in Fart Colons. Good thing we have the Potato Bowl appearance to attract recruits... :roll:
I wouldn't be too concerned with the sheep. Click on the picture below. They were the 3rd most underperforming team in the country this year.

My concern is that they have a different coach with a different philosophy and personality. We don't. My fear is that they were underperforming and might find a path to meet expectations sooner rather than later...and we will have Grumpy Dwarf and a Tater Bowl.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I love this quote from Deion Sanders "If a kid is good enough for a Power 5 school, why isn't he good enough for us?" after he flipped a 5 star recruit. to Jackson st.
I'm good for 3!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm I love this quote from Deion Sanders "If a kid is good enough for a Power 5 school, why isn't he good enough for us?" after he flipped a 5 star recruit. to Jackson st.
Deion also has a show on Barstool, which just happened to sign that recruit to a $1.5MM NIL deal….
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm I love this quote from Deion Sanders "If a kid is good enough for a Power 5 school, why isn't he good enough for us?" after he flipped a 5 star recruit. to Jackson st.
Not just any 5 star recruit. The top recruit in the country, who has been described as a generational talent at CB.