Give up attitude??

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I have had the accusation leveled at me that I have a "give up" attitude, or that I think it is "too hard" to win at Wyoming...or that we should "expect less".

I am truly confused by this. These accusation tend to come out whenever I disagree with widely held notions about things like the actual talent level at Wyoming...or whenever I wonder if getting the "right" coach would be a game changer In Laramie.

To the folks leveling this accusation at me...Is it ok that I believe that there is something baked into the structure of college football that Wyoming is up against? Can I express doubt about the notion that we are a over-talented by MWC standards? Does anything in any of my posts suggest we should "expect less" or "give up"? I'm sure I am not a perfect communicator...but if that is all I've been able to get across in my musings then I have failed greatly.

Is it possible for someone have a good faith discussion about these topics without pulling this straw man crap? I disagree that we are just the "right coach" away from being a conference championship level program. I also don't know what Burman could do beyond firing up the revolving door again. Those views are not a reason to "give up". Nor should they be construed as a reason that Wyoming fans should "expect less"
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I agree with you that Wyoming is always going to have recruiting difficulties and we are disadvantaged (with the gap likely to grow with the new free agency and endorsement deal of college football). Wyoming will always have to recruit the non-polished product with upside that can be developed.

That said, I do believe there are ways that Wyoming can give it the best chance to succeed and to close the talent gaps that are not all necessarily being used. I truly think we need to look at an option style offense.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I don't know if anyone else remembers this but when Burman fired Glenn he basically said power football will never work because of recruiting limitations. We need innovation on offense that would make up for deficiencies in talent, and dickface was subsequently hired. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

Bohl's system exacerbates our talent deficiencies rather than masks them. The complete inability to throw the ball isn't all a talent issue.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am I don't know if anyone else remembers this but when Burman fired Glenn he basically said power football will never work because of recruiting limitations. We need innovation on offense that would make up for deficiencies in talent, and dickface was subsequently hired. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

Bohl's system exacerbates our talent deficiencies rather than masks them. The complete inability to throw the ball isn't all a talent issue.
Yes that was the gist of the argument. Then we he hired Bohl, he argued that we needed to bring in toughness and stop being so soft.

I think Wyoming needs toughness but needs an offense that will limit any talent disadvantage. The spread or some sort of version of it is not the answer. We saw what happens to the defense when they are back on the field in a matter of minutes and when they are not practicing physical football day in and day out. I like the idea of limiting the other team’s offensive possessions but still being able to move the ball and still maintaining a physical team. I like some sort of option based offense.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am I don't know if anyone else remembers this but when Burman fired Glenn he basically said power football will never work because of recruiting limitations. We need innovation on offense that would make up for deficiencies in talent, and dickface was subsequently hired. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

Yes that was the gist of the argument. Then we he hired Bohl, he argued that we needed to bring in toughness and stop being so soft.

I think Wyoming needs toughness but needs an offense that will limit any talent disadvantage. The spread or some sort of version of it is not the answer. We saw what happens to the defense when they are back on the field in a matter of minutes and when they are not practicing physical football day in and day out. I like the idea of limiting the other team’s offensive possessions but still being able to move the ball and still maintaining a physical team. I like some sort of option based offense.
I don't think spread and flexbone or other option offense are mutually exclusive. I saw a program where Barry Switzer was talking about a spread offense predicated on a 3 back option offense. I don't remember all of it, but it was interesting.

I know it isn't a popular offense but I don't disagree with you. If I were a young offensive coordinator, I'd be looking at ways to modernize it without losing the fundamentals.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Oredigger, Ragtime, thank you for your responses. You do bring some perspectives about why Wyoming is struggling along with some of the history at the AD position that I do remember but had sort of forgotten.

That being said, my problem with straw man arguments centered around calling somebodies fandom into question remains. I have disagreed with a few of the narratives about what the problem actually is in the Wyoming program and have been accused of having an attitude of "giving up". There are people on this board who are definitely more knowledgeable than I am about Wyoming football and football in general but I don't think I'm just out to lunch with some of what I'm seeing.

I'm fine with disagreement on the content of anything I'm saying but to just be shouted down as the "wrong type" of Wyoming fan is just dumb.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I think the FBS level still is just a level up too much for Bohl and his coordinators and coaches, even at the Mountain West. Always have said If Bohl is spozed to be so good why do we have him? Medocrity gets old to me, 9-3 or 10-2 isn't too much to ask for in Year 8 and with Super Seniors I don't think....sigh....
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

We just need a quarterback with decent accuracy. That would allow us to convert more third downs, free up the run and take pressure off the D. We stack up with the upper level of the MWC at most positions outside of the QB.