What if...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I know this team is flawed...but what if Levi starts from the UNM game on? It's pretty egregious that Chambers got so much leash after the performances through the first half of the season. Levi was going to have a tough game to start no matter what...just the transition from the number 2 guy to number 1.

So instead of going on the road and playing a decent spartan team for the first game...Have Levi get under center at home against a much worse UNM team. Maybe we get housed in all the rest of our games and it won't matter but if we are now on the upswing...that decision to stay with Chambers for so long....looms large.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Agreed. Early on it seemed that Chambers would struggle so why not try something else before the UNM debacle.

That decision will loom even larger if Levi is jaded and uses the rest of the season to up his transfer value.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:07 pm Agreed. Early on it seemed that Chambers would struggle so why not try something else before the UNM debacle.

That decision will loom even larger if Levi is jaded and uses the rest of the season to up his transfer value.
Who knows, but Levi doesn't seem like the guy who would do that. If he ups his transfer value that means he plays such that the offense has a pulse, and that would mean success and cementing his position on the depth chart going into the spring.

First things first though, he needs to up his transfer value first. Boise State seems to be getting stronger and they just rofl stomped Fresno in their house. After that it is current division leader Utah State in Logan. I'm good with Levi uping his transfer value over the rest of the season because if Wyoming has any shot at winning these next two Levi likely needs to play his best games of his career. What he does after that is up to him, but he would be leaving his best shot at being the #1 in this scenario.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:07 pm Agreed. Early on it seemed that Chambers would struggle so why not try something else before the UNM debacle.

Who knows, but Levi doesn't seem like the guy who would do that. If he ups his transfer value that means he plays such that the offense has a pulse, and that would mean success and cementing his position on the depth chart going into the spring.

First things first though, he needs to up his transfer value first. Boise State seems to be getting stronger and they just rofl stomped Fresno in their house. After that it is current division leader Utah State in Logan. I'm good with Levi uping his transfer value over the rest of the season because if Wyoming has any shot at winning these next two Levi likely needs to play his best games of his career. What he does after that is up to him, but he would be leaving his best shot at being the #1 in this scenario.
Agree and well stated.

Come on Levi light the world on fire, show everyone that you are the next Josh Allen!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I think we’d have one more win if Levi played all the games
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

We’ve always stayed with started too long. Surprised Bohl pulled chambers mid game the one time but then put him back. We also rolled with Vanderwall way too long the season he was our guy.

I’m cautiously optimistic about levi. Did he start slow because Sean was getting most reps or because he isn’t that good? Either way, you’ll probably see him running and coach protecting him a little by not forcing him to sling it. As always, we’ll need the run game. If Williams can hit a few big passes, we have a shot at some of these games.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Just to be clear, i'm not hoping or predicting Levi will transfer,. I'm not even 100% sure he can increase his transfer value as lax pointed out. I think Bohl waited too long and probably should have started the season with Levi. I also thought Vigen was a big part of the problem, so it's also possible we'll see a side of Levi that Bohl saw in practice. I hope not. I hope Bohl truly made a mistake and Levi plays lights out.

The transfer comment was referring to the NM debacle and how pissed Levi looked.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:54 am Just to be clear, i'm not hoping or predicting Levi will transfer,. I'm not even 100% sure he can increase his transfer value as lax pointed out. I think Bohl waited too long and probably should have started the season with Levi. I also thought Vigen was a big part of the problem, so it's also possible we'll see a side of Levi that Bohl saw in practice. I hope not. I hope Bohl truly made a mistake and Levi plays lights out.

The transfer comment was referring to the NM debacle and how pissed Levi looked.
It’s a bit difficult to point the fingers at Vigen at this point. He has Montana State rolling at 8-1 (only losing to Wyoming) after knocking off highly ranked Eastern Washington on the road with his transfer and first year MSU QB throwing the ball 17-30 for 253 yards.

Levi Williams looked pretty good in his true freshman season given his experience. Williams struggled last year but he was playing with bum shoulder. The crazy thing…Levi Williams will be a sophomore next year as far as eligibility.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

If Levi starts here on out and feels like he’s given a real chance, he’ll stay. He was pissed because he was pulled and replaced with a guy that had already stunk it up. INTS are one thing if you’re pressing the ball downfield. It becomes almost a punt. Sean had been fumbling and throwing INTS. I would have been pissed too. Levi looked better than Sean in that game (isn’t saying much) and was pulled. That being said, the end of the SJSU game might have been the reason they went back to Sean for 2 minute drill. Levi will only get better with practice reps.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:08 am It’s a bit difficult to point the fingers at Vigen at this point. He has Montana State rolling at 8-1 (only losing to Wyoming) after knocking off highly ranked Eastern Washington on the road with his transfer and first year MSU QB throwing the ball 17-30 for 253 yards.
Agreed. Ultimately I'm always trying to tell a story about a sports team or a sports season. The story of Wyoming football under Bohl always had the subplot that Vigen was a problem that was holding us back. It seems like that is not a subplot that will hold up. Now...I'm still glad that Vigen is gone. There was something about the relationship between Bohl and Vigen that seemed to have stagnated.

Now...Hopefully Bohl can write a different story where he can continue to build on previous success and get better. We all like the defensive identity that the pokes seem to have found with Bohl ... now how do we change things positively for the offense without losing ground elsewhere? I do believe that this is a bit of a magic trick that coaches are always trying to pull off. I don't think it is possible to just put the things you do well on cruise control and put focus elsewhere....that will result in the things you do well becoming things that you do not do well.

I look at Bohl's decision on Levi/Sean as indicative off Bohl's overall approach. He does not like chaos...he wants predictability and controllability. The whole "Vigen is THE problem" never felt true to me. I really don't think that Bohl knows what works on Offense....never has.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:42 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:08 am It’s a bit difficult to point the fingers at Vigen at this point. He has Montana State rolling at 8-1 (only losing to Wyoming) after knocking off highly ranked Eastern Washington on the road with his transfer and first year MSU QB throwing the ball 17-30 for 253 yards.
Agreed. Ultimately I'm always trying to tell a story about a sports team or a sports season. The story of Wyoming football under Bohl always had the subplot that Vigen was a problem that was holding us back. It seems like that is not a subplot that will hold up. Now...I'm still glad that Vigen is gone. There was something about the relationship between Bohl and Vigen that seemed to have stagnated.

Now...Hopefully Bohl can write a different story where he can continue to build on previous success and get better. We all like the defensive identity that the pokes seem to have found with Bohl ... now how do we change things positively for the offense without losing ground elsewhere? I do believe that this is a bit of a magic trick that coaches are always trying to pull off. I don't think it is possible to just put the things you do well on cruise control and put focus elsewhere....that will result in the things you do well becoming things that you do not do well.

I look at Bohl's decision on Levi/Sean as indicative off Bohl's overall approach. He does not like chaos...he wants predictability and controllability. The whole "Vigen is THE problem" never felt true to me. I really don't think that Bohl knows what works on Offense....never has.
I agree with you. What’s also missed is we didn’t hire a seasoned offensive coordinator. It’s his first time. I hope it’s a case of 1 step back and then 2 step forward.
W-Y, Until I Die!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:16 pm

I agree with you. What’s also missed is we didn’t hire a seasoned offensive coordinator. It’s his first time. I hope it’s a case of 1 step back and then 2 step forward.
I believe he was OC at north dakota state.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Agree. It would have been nice to get a seasoned, D-1 offensive coordinator. It's getting a bit tiresome to keep giving people their first shot at D-1 this and D-1 that.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:40 am Agree. It would have been nice to get a seasoned, D-1 offensive coordinator. It's getting a bit tiresome to keep giving people their first shot at D-1 this and D-1 that.
True, but a REALLY good, seasoned OC is going Power 5 or working towards a HC job. A good one is also looking to upgrade. A mediocre one who just lost his job is who is left.

The guy that views Wyoming as the upgrade is the newcomer or the FCS guy.
The guy that views Wyoming as a lateral move simply hasn't proven himself.
The guy that views Wyoming as a downgrade is the one already making a name for himself.

That's just the sad reality.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Tonite we'll see the true Levi Williams and what and how he can handle this team as leader in a hostile environment and tough place to play...he wins he might get elected governor lol