Expansion...SMU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

MWC should look to poach SMU and another team.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Admittedly things have changed drastically in the past 20 years, but SMU was kind of meh for me in the mega-WAC.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:10 pm Admittedly things have changed drastically in the past 20 years, but SMU was kind of meh for me in the mega-WAC.
So was San Jose State at that time. SJSU, from what I've read over the years, was one of the reasons for the WAC-16 Divorce in 1998.

That expansion in 1996 ranks as one of the dumbest in NCAA history....at least in my opinion.

In complete hindsight, the WAC should've just added only UNLV and TCU in 1996 and be done with it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I think SMU is a different program now. Plus it might help in recruiting Texas players. I am not one for change just for the sake of change, but I think there will be some changes in other conferences in the next few years that will affect the MW. You are either progressing or regressing, there is no staying the same. If I was Oklahoma St., Kansas St. and Baylor maybe even Kansas, I would be looking to get out of the Big 12 and try to get in the Pac 12.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:05 pm I think SMU is a different program now. Plus it might help in recruiting Texas players. I am not one for change just for the sake of change, but I think there will be some changes in other conferences in the next few years that will affect the MW. You are either progressing or regressing, there is no staying the same. If I was Oklahoma St., Kansas St. and Baylor maybe even Kansas, I would be looking to get out of the Big 12 and try to get in the Pac 12.
Agree with the first part... as for PAC-12, I'm pretty sure none of those programs satisfy the academic requirements of the conference. PAC-12 may have issues, but they do take actual academia seriously.

If Texas hadn't headed to SEC, they would easily have qualified, though.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

For me its Gonzaga , Wichita, SMU, and Memphis.

Use this as a chance to kill Boises sweetheart deal. Restructure it so anyone in the championship game gets a bonus and basketball champs do to. Expansion candidates will likely pressure the league to kill the Boise deal. This is the perfect chance.
Boise has one foot out the door. f-word them. Where are they going to go now if we take their reparations?

There's rumors that CBS/Fox may have stepped up to squash this. If that's the case, there might be something working with the TV guys already.

The tricky part is figuring out the AAC 10 million exit fee for SMU and Memphis.

The other rumor is that the expanded play-off has auto-bids for six leagues. We need to get that sixth auto-bid. It would be smart to add as much strength as we can now because if we lose Boise and SDSU expansion will be next to impossible unless it's total garbage teams.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

I'd take Memphis over SMU, but not a bad idea. Memphis is all right in football but a strong bball power.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Offering is one thing; whether or not they accept, is a different matter. Plus, the money needs to be there.

Gonzaga would be the overall best choice. We're at 11 in olympic sports, and they not only even that out, but bring one of the biggest b-ball names there is.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:04 am I'd take Memphis over SMU, but not a bad idea. Memphis is all right in football but a strong bball power.
Pass. Memphis is a true poop hole with no regional connection. Id have a hard time being convinced of adding anyone East of the Mississippi. What loyalty does a member feel if they are the odd team out, geographically speaking?
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 am
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:04 am I'd take Memphis over SMU, but not a bad idea. Memphis is all right in football but a strong bball power.
Pass. Memphis is a true Sh#t hole with no regional connection. Id have a hard time being convinced of adding anyone East of the Mississippi. What loyalty does a member feel if they are the odd team out, geographically speaking?
Memphis is barely east of the Mississippi. SMU isn't that much further West. So IMO no real geographical difference there.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Adding Memphis now would make it so we could still add Tulsa and Utep when Memphis and Boise leave.

On their exit fees. We probably don't have the money to pay 20 million in exits fees for SMU and Memphis and we shouldnt do that. What if we wave their exit fees if they get invited to an autonomy conference? They pay 10 million on the front end to save 12 million on the back end?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

1 thing is for sure, any movement must be visionary and based on the future not the past. Everyone seems to think the MWC will lose bsu and perhaps others to the P5, but I'm not so sure. I think the model is moving more towards less content/teams and bigger matchups for TV dollars while TV money will begin to dry up for anyone outside of that system (i.e. us). I obviously have no idea if this is true, but I think there are lots of unknown variables at the moment. We're about to see what kind of leaders our ADs are.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.