Chambers….

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I am kind of puzzled by the lack of RPO's, as well as just called QB runs (whether draw, or sneak, or whatever). It is almost like his QB coach is telling him to never run, or maybe he is hurt and can't take the hits (or coaches don't want him taking hits)? I don't know what it is...but it was never more evident than last Saturday.

That all said, he is a winner, a leader, and I am glad he reps the B&G. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm I am kind of puzzled by the lack of RPO's, as well as just called QB runs (whether draw, or sneak, or whatever). It is almost like his QB coach is telling him to never run, or maybe he is hurt and can't take the hits (or coaches don't want him taking hits)? I don't know what it is...but it was never more evident than last Saturday.

He's been a shell of his former self running the ball.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm I am kind of puzzled by the lack of RPO's, as well as just called QB runs (whether draw, or sneak, or whatever). It is almost like his QB coach is telling him to never run, or maybe he is hurt and can't take the hits (or coaches don't want him taking hits)? I don't know what it is...but it was never more evident than last Saturday.

We have 2 excellent running backs. We have an injury prone qb. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I hope he doesn't carry the ball.
We cannot afford to lose him.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

My 2 cents from being there in person was that Chambers was trying to loft the ball up too much instead of slinging it the way he can. Even on the huge throw to Eberhart in the 4th, that should have been a TD and it ended up down at the one because Chambers left it short. Chambers has a big an arm as anyone, so it seems like he gets into this mode when he's overthinking the need to throw an accurate ball. Still thinking back to the Missouri game when he had Josh Harshman 5 yards away in the end zone with no defender within reach and he put it in his cleats. I think Polasek and Bohl need to stress to him that if he's going to take a shot it's better to sail a deep ball over everyone's head than float a pass up for grabs into coverage.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm

We have a new OC. We complained about vigens play calling ad nauseum. Maybe he just doesn't do as many RPOs as vigen did. I still think the variety is better than what we had.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:27 pm

We have a new OC. We complained about vigens play calling ad nauseum. Maybe he just doesn't do as many RPOs as vigen did. I still think the variety is better than what we had.
To me it looks like he could pull it down and run during a lot of pass plays and he chooses to try to force something. Old Sean would have scrambled for 15 yards on many of his incompletions.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:53 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:27 pm

To me it looks like he can pull it down and run during a lot of pass plays and he chooses to try to force something. Old Sean would have scrambled for 15 yards on many of his incompletions.
That, is what I am talkin' bout!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:55 pm I'm officially over Chambers. Hes not good at throwing a football. That means he has to be a game manager. A game manager can't make that many bad reads or chuck up a prayer into double coverage.

Bad passing and bad decisions won't win a MWC title. I think its time to give someone else a chance.
At this point I can't see blaming Chambers for anything. He's led the O to over 34 ppg so far. Go back over the years and see how many times we were even able to score 34 points, not too many. We weren't impressed vs Montana State, but we scored more points on them than anyone else so far, as well as giving them their only loss. We scored more points vs Ball State than anyone else, including Penn State. We dropped 50 on No. Illinois, who just came off of a victory vs Georgia Tech, who by the way just crushed #21 North Carolina. I don't think the fact that we're undefeated at this moment tells us a whole lot about this team, but a QB that's led us here, while averaging 34ppg, isn't an issue. I think after the Air Force game we'll have a better idea where we stand. And if we beat AF, I don't think Fresno is a guaranteed loss, after seeing their struggles against UNLV, who may not win a game this year, not unlike UConn. Then again, UConn has a couple games where they could pull out a victory, UMass or Yale. UNLV sucks. Their best chance at a W is next year vs Idaho State. And I only give them a nod since the game is in Vegas. Yet Fresno struggled vs UNLV. If we take down AF and Fresno, I say bring on Alabama. Not the Tide, the Lions from the University of North Alabama.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

cowboyz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:31 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:55 pm I'm officially over Chambers. Hes not good at throwing a football. That means he has to be a game manager. A game manager can't make that many bad reads or chuck up a prayer into double coverage.

Bad passing and bad decisions won't win a MWC title. I think its time to give someone else a chance.
At this point I can't see blaming Chambers for anything. He's led the O to over 34 ppg so far. Go back over the years and see how many times we were even able to score 34 points, not too many. We weren't impressed vs Montana State, but we scored more points on them than anyone else so far, as well as giving them their only loss. We scored more points vs Ball State than anyone else, including Penn State. We dropped 50 on No. Illinois, who just came off of a victory vs Georgia Tech, who by the way just crushed #21 North Carolina. I don't think the fact that we're undefeated at this moment tells us a whole lot about this team, but a QB that's led us here, while averaging 34ppg, isn't an issue. I think after the Air Force game we'll have a better idea where we stand. And if we beat AF, I don't think Fresno is a guaranteed loss, after seeing their struggles against UNLV, who may not win a game this year, not unlike UConn. Then again, UConn has a couple games where they could pull out a victory, UMass or Yale. UNLV sucks. Their best chance at a W is next year vs Idaho State. And I only give them a nod since the game is in Vegas. Yet Fresno struggled vs UNLV. If we take down AF and Fresno, I say bring on Alabama. Not the Tide, the Lions from the University of North Alabama.
I don't blame Chambers but any time you turn the ball over, you contribute to problems. IMO, the biggest issue is lack of pass rush, corners who can't sustain 1 on 1 coverage if the pass rush doesn't get there, the offense still leaving some plays out there, and Chambers putting the ball in harm's way at times.

I think all of these will improve and I think the best 21 Cowboys football team is yet to be seen. To beat the better teams on the schedule, all of those are going to have to clean up--including Chambers' performance.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Chambers and the coaches probably came to the agreement to not run unless absolutely necessary. The kid, while he does win games, is incredibly injury prone. So him being more cautious makes a lot of sense.