Transfer silver lining: we just replaced a 31% and a 32% percent 3 point shooter with....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

a 42% and a 48% three point shooter. Brendan Wenzel shot over 40 percent as a junior and senior in high school. He didn't play enough at Utah to see if he can still shoot the rock. Kenny Foster shoots 42 percent. The X-Man led the team this year at 45.6. Other guys with good 3 point shooting percentages are Hunter Thompson at 36 and Drake Jeffries at 37.

We've got 5 guys on the roster that shot above the 40 percent line in their last full season of basketball, and two more guys that you can't leave open shooting above 36. We now have the potential to surround Ike with Dut, Dusell, Jeffries, and Wenzel.

My question is this: how the hell do you guard Wyoming the next few years? If you don't double the post Ike is going to score 30 on you. If you double the post, Wyoming has SEVEN guys that will eat you alive from the three point line.

Get your season tickets. It's official. Linder ball has arrived.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Sat May 08, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Exciting stuff. Nice break down, old bull
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm a 42% and a 48% three point shooter. Brendan Wenzel shot over 40 percent as a junior and senior in high school. He didn't play enough at Utah to see if he can still shoot the rock. Kenny Foster shoots 42 percent. The X-Man led the team this year at 45.6. Other guys with good 3 point shooting percentages are Hunter Thompson at 36 and Drake Jeffries at 37.

We've got 5 guys on the roster that shot above the 40 percent line in their last full season of basketball, and two more guys that you can't leave open shooting above 36. We now have the potential to surround Ike with Dut, Dusell, Jeffries, and Wenzel.

My question is this: how the hell do you guard Wyoming the next few years? If you don't double the post Ike is going to score 30 on you. If you double the post, Wyoming has SEVEN guys that will eat you alive from the three point line.

You do realize that shooting a high percentage as a JC or high school player isn't the same as D1 Ball? They will be guarded by bigger, faster opponents than they have ever seen. The biggest problem with losing Williams is his penetration and passing ability. Those open 3 pointers will be hard to find without the threat of a guard who can penetrate.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

What was Williams high school percentage?
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:59 am
Old-Bull wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm a 42% and a 48% three point shooter. Brendan Wenzel shot over 40 percent as a junior and senior in high school. He didn't play enough at Utah to see if he can still shoot the rock. Kenny Foster shoots 42 percent. The X-Man led the team this year at 45.6. Other guys with good 3 point shooting percentages are Hunter Thompson at 36 and Drake Jeffries at 37.

You do realize that shooting a high percentage as a JC or high school player isn't the same as D1 Ball? They will be guarded by bigger, faster opponents than they have ever seen. The biggest problem with losing Williams is his penetration and passing ability. Those open 3 pointers will be hard to find without the threat of a guard who can penetrate.
Yeah. I understand that. Still, Williams had a lot of open looks he missed this year and Kwane wasn't very good from deep the entire time he was here.

Reynolds, Dut, and Wenzel haven't shown they can make the transition yet, but at least they haven't shown that they can't maintain similar percentages in college like Williams and Marble did.

I still think Dusell will remain our best 3 point shooter, but I'm expecting a couple of these new guys to be good college shooters especially since they all have length.

About Williams penetration: I don't know if you watched any of the tape on Reynolds or Dut, but vision, length, and the ability to penetrate are strengths of both of those guards.

Again, we'll see how they adapt to this level, but they both have the potential to be very good MW players. Would I rather still have Williams, a guy thats proven at this level: yes. Is it possible that Dut and Reynolds become better players than Williams: yes. Is there a silver lining to the transfers: yep, I think Dut or Reynolds(probably both) will shoot the 3 better than 32 percent.

Personally, I hope Williams and A&M stink up the court while Wyoming goes dancing and Dut or Reynolds end up in the league.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Just because we lost a guy that was really good at getting into the paint doesn't mean we won't ever find anyone else who can also get into the paint. No reason to not be optimistic about the transfers.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm Just because we lost a guy that was really good at getting into the paint doesn't mean we won't ever find anyone else who can also get into the paint. No reason to not be optimistic about the transfers.
True. And I didn't say that. I merely pointed out that a high 3 point percentage in high School or JC doesn't necessarily mean that will transfer to D1 ball. Also, it's really petty to wish ill will on a kid who played here and left on good terms. I realize that was another poster and not you. We'll see how it all plays out.

I've seen posters get very optimistic about transfers in the past. Far more often than not, they don't pan out. But maybe we'll get the next Justin Williams or Dante Richardson.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm Just because we lost a guy that was really good at getting into the paint doesn't mean we won't ever find anyone else who can also get into the paint. No reason to not be optimistic about the transfers.
True. And I didn't say that. I merely pointed out that a high 3 point percentage in high School or JC doesn't necessarily mean that will transfer to D1 ball. Also, it's really petty to wish ill will on a kid who played here and left on good terms. I realize that was another poster and not you. We'll see how it all plays out.

I've seen posters get very optimistic about transfers in the past. Far more often than not, they don't pan out. But maybe we'll get the next Justin Williams or Dante Richardson.
I didn't see much "ill will"...

"Personally, I hope Williams and A&M stink up the court while Wyoming goes dancing and Dut or Reynolds end up in the league."

I agree with this statement.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:38 pm

"Personally, I hope Williams and A&M stink up the court while Wyoming goes dancing and Dut or Reynolds end up in the league."

I feel bad for you. I really don't want to know what you consider "ill will".
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:38 pm

I feel bad for you. I really don't want to know what you consider "ill will".
Feel away. And ya, "ill will" in my book certainly isn't hoping A&M stinks it up next season, while UW has success. I never pegged you to be the sensitive flowery-snowflake everyone gets a trophy type. Interesting.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...