Spring Football Game Thoughts?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Anyone going? It'll be interesting to see who claims the 3rd string QB spot by fall. I certainly hope the QB injuries are not a problem, but lately, the 3rd string QB has been needed as backup. I guess not a trivial position battle as insurance in case something happens again this year.

I'm also not sure what the impact of Grant at "passing game coordinator" will have. I'll be honest, I've thought our WR core has been the weakest unit perhaps in all of CFB. I don't know if it is mainly a function of the offense, QB play, recruiting, coaching, or other (YES I KNOW PROBABLY ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE DIFFICULTIES--that doesn't rule out the possibility that 1 issue is overshadowing the others). Personally, I've thought the WR play was a big reason the offense sputtered. I predicted vast improvements on offense and I still think that can happen. However, I'm wondering why Bohl felt compelled to add passing game coordinator duties to the coaching room with a new OC? I also wonder why those duties were assigned to the coach of arguably the worst unit on the squad? TO BE CLEAR, I'm not bashing Grant; it's just that his unit hasn't performed well in my opinion. I have no idea regarding his coaching competency. He may be absolutely fantastic and this may be a brilliant move? If so, I wonder why it wasn't done some time in the past 5-6 years? Was there a disconnect between the WR (coached by Grant) and QBs (coached by Vigen) and this move is aimed at getting them on the same page?

Anyway, I think the D should be solid, so I'm anxious to see the offense in the Spring game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'll be there! wouldn't miss a chance to get a glimpse at our new offense.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:05 am Anyone going? It'll be interesting to see who claims the 3rd string QB spot by fall. I certainly hope the QB injuries are not a problem, but lately, the 3rd string QB has been needed as backup. I guess not a trivial position battle as insurance in case something happens again this year.

I'm also not sure what the impact of Grant at "passing game coordinator" will have. I'll be honest, I've thought our WR core has been the weakest unit perhaps in all of CFB. I don't know if it is mainly a function of the offense, QB play, recruiting, coaching, or other (YES I KNOW PROBABLY ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE DIFFICULTIES--that doesn't rule out the possibility that 1 issue is overshadowing the others). Personally, I've thought the WR play was a big reason the offense sputtered. I predicted vast improvements on offense and I still think that can happen. However, I'm wondering why Bohl felt compelled to add passing game coordinator duties to the coaching room with a new OC? I also wonder why those duties were assigned to the coach of arguably the worst unit on the squad? TO BE CLEAR, I'm not bashing Grant; it's just that his unit hasn't performed well in my opinion. I have no idea regarding his coaching competency. He may be absolutely fantastic and this may be a brilliant move? If so, I wonder why it wasn't done some time in the past 5-6 years? Was there a disconnect between the WR (coached by Grant) and QBs (coached by Vigen) and this move is aimed at getting them on the same page?

Anyway, I think the D should be solid, so I'm anxious to see the offense in the Spring game.
I'm hoping to attend.

I agree with you that the 3rd string QB is interesting. Beerup the scholarship guy is competing with walk-ons. It can't be too good of news for Beerup's playing future when Bohl makes statements that the top 2 QBs are locked in but that there is a real battle for the 3rd spot with walk-ons. I figured that the staff must have had little faith in Beerup when they left an injured and ineffective Williams in a game to get further destroyed while Beerup was just standing there. I'd like to see Beerup take the challenge to heart and show some things.

Attacking the outside is going to open up this offense and throwing lanes. If Polasek keeps his word, I see some easier throws coming along which should help out our QBs in connecting with the WRs. One problem with the Vigen/Bohl offense of the past from a passing offense standpoint is that it was just too concentrated in the middle causing issues with the throwing lanes. Rarely were runs designed to the outside meaning that teams would load up the box against us.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’d want to get to look at x’s facial hair. He has 70s chops and they’re amazing. The man has style.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

From reading articles, it sounds as if accuracy is still a bit of a concern with our top 2 QBS. I know Josh Allen, but I worry about how much improvement in accuracy can be made in a relatively short amount of time in the college ranks. Definitely something to keep an eye on Saturday. Hopefully the receivers have developed a larger catch radius to help the QBs.

Putting the QBs in better position is one thing, but they still have to deliver the ball.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm From reading articles, it sounds as if accuracy is still a bit of a concern with our top 2 QBS. I know Josh Allen, but I worry about how much improvement in accuracy can be made in a relatively short amount of time in the college ranks. Definitely something to keep an eye on Saturday. Hopefully the receivers have developed a larger catch radius to help the QBs.

Putting the QBs in better position is one thing, but they still have to deliver the ball.
After watching Josh develop in the NFL I am convinced that our former QB coach was crap. Great at identifying talent, poor at coaching them up. Hopefully Polasek can make some big improvements on this front.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm From reading articles, it sounds as if accuracy is still a bit of a concern with our top 2 QBS. I know Josh Allen, but I worry about how much improvement in accuracy can be made in a relatively short amount of time in the college ranks. Definitely something to keep an eye on Saturday. Hopefully the receivers have developed a larger catch radius to help the QBs.

After watching Josh develop in the NFL I am convinced that our former QB coach was crap. Great at identifying talent, poor at coaching them up. Hopefully Polasek can make some big improvements on this front.
It definitely seems that Polasek has identified mechanical issues that he wants to address. Hopefully the accuracy issues are mainly due to relatively minor mechanical flaws.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Alright all you lucky dogs going to the game, some of us gotta live through you, lol.

Looking forward to seeing the perspectives on the game!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

The offense looked more diverse. Our receivers occasionally looked open. It was weird lol
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:54 pm The offense looked more diverse. Our receivers occasionally looked open. It was weird lol
Good to hear!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The 2nd team offense with Levi at QB was probably the better of the two offenses. I really liked the Utah. sophomore transfer too. Chambers still has issues throwing. So many 10 yard roll outs were thrown into the turf at the recievers feet. He shouldn't be the starter.
Last edited by HR_Poke on Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I have to agree about the QBs. The offensive design obviously looks better, however the QBs are lacking still. Chambers looked not great. Williams looked better like he improved. More like the AZ Bowl Williams. Honestly the best QB was Clemons, who looked great.- just like HR said.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:22 am I have to agree about the QBs. The offensive design obviously looks better, however the QBs are lacking still. Chambers looked not great. Williams looked better like he improved. More like the AZ Bowl Williams. Honestly the best QB was Clemons, who looked great.- just like HR said.
That 25 yard rollout to the endzone was pretty sweet. Was surprised to see the WR layout for the catch too. And damn is he fast.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Went to the game... had a great day. I'm no scout but the offenses seemed lively.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Encouraging to hear the offense showed signs of life. Hopefully QBs can get their arms under control.