Pokes and Lobos

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I know that this was not a true UNM "Pit" homecourt win for the Pokes, but I am really excited about the direction of our program. The coaches and these kids are showing moxie, grit and resilience. True, they have lost some games that slipped away in the waning minutes, but they are learning to win and bounce back both within and between games. I was not a huge fan of the Linder hire - but I am so pleased to eat crow. He is the right guy at the right time for our beloved Pokes. The next several weeks and years are going to be a ton of fun. I cannot wait until we can repack the AA again and give these 'boys a true homecourt advantage. The 3's that will rain down will create a firestorm - as more fall, the louder it will get - the louder it gets, the more the opponent loses their collective poop. I can't wait to see teams collapse under the escalating noise, pressure, fatigue and desperation. Those clowns from Fart Colons in particular are due a butt whipping...and I can't wait to see it.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

It's really nice to see some fire. Yes, we got boat raced by SDSU and Boise, but with a team full of 18 year olds. I like what I'm seeing from this team.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we have three freshmen starting, 2 guys out for injuries, and we're 2 scholarships short this year. We don't have a senior on this team. Hell, with covid giving everyone an extra year of eligibility, we won't have a senior on next years team.

It should make it pretty obvious that we've got a solid foundation. Next year we'll have a full roster and another recruiting class full of Linder's guys.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's hard to remember a class of true freshmen that was able to contribute as much as Marcus Williams, Graham Ike, Xavier Dusell, and Jeremiah Oden. That has to be one of the most athletic freshmen classes in Wyoming basketball history.

I see banners coming for this group of kids. This year is a free year, and honestly, it couldn't have come at a better time. If we get some luck with injuries, transfers, and the draft plucking our best players early, this team could be scary good in 4 years.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It would have been a setback to lose to the last place team that is currently a complete dumpster fire . Good to see the guys fight and win. I bet we blow them out in game #2
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Now that we've filled all of our scholarships I thought it might be interesting to see the class breakdown. We're so young.

Here it is for the start of NEXT season with the walk-ons included:

Seniors: 0
Juniors: 3 (Jeffries, Maldonado, Thompson)
Sophomores: 3 (Foster, Marble, Nelson)
Freshmen: 9/7 scholarships (Ike, Williams, Dusell, Oden, Bowen, Barnhaurdt, Wenzel, Grisby, Dickey)

Only Brendan Wenzel, the Utah transfer, has burned his redshirt. That leaves the staff a lot of flexibility with redshirting some guys out of that huge freshman class that got bigger with Covid granting everyone an extra year of eligibility. I would imagine that the freshmen that aren't part of the rotation are going to get redshirted into the following class.

With the roster sitting as it is, you would imagine the coaching staff has the flexibility to be extremely selective with recruiting, only having to fill holes for transfers.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

It's nice to be young and eager, and hopefully this team learns great in game situations from Coach Linder, it'll be a few years that we'll be a veteran laden squad and that's where the true fun begins and runs begin, if coach has them on the right track, I ALSO like what the future hold, and that's saying something worth repeating for a change!! GO POKES!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Good 2nd game and win although they tried to let the Bozos back in it, hope we don't hafta play them in tourney for a 3rd time