Revamp Offense?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Please do not let this devolve into Bohl/Vigen bashing. We all have said our our spill about that and I doubt there are many stones left unturned in that discussion.

Looking forward to 2021, we obviously have a new O-line coach but I haven't heard of any other coaching changes (I could certainly have missed them--haven't been paying attention really). If I'm correct, I'm guessing we won't see any coaching changes unless more leave for other jobs.

If we don't have significant turnover in coaching it makes me wonder what Bohl means by "re-engineer our offense". I personally don't think Bohl is blowing smoke up our arse and do think he is doing something with the offense. The question is, what? More out of season work? Increased difficulty/intensity at practice? Eliminating things from the play book? Adding things to the playbook? It is pretty clear the passing game must improve; it will be interesting to see what he means specifically by "re-engineer"?

Thoughts? (if you don't think Bohl will change a thing, then a sufficient "nothing" post is all that is needed--not the endless Bohl/Vigen bashing threads)
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

That's a great question, and I wish Potter would have gotten Bohl to elaborate instead of just sending a relatively cryptic tweet.

My guess is that Bohl has finally became aware that the offense is what is keeping this team from the next level, and he's truly looking at changing the playbook. I would hope that it's focused on the passing portion of the playbook (and maybe the blocking schemes?).

Purely speculation (and maybe hope), but hopefully Bohl realizes the passing game is not creative enough to win the big games. They will be re-working the passing framework to allow the current players to be effective in the passing game when it's needed. I.E. more creative routes, better blocking protection for the pass game.

Look, it doesn't take a genius to go back and see that this offense has gotten more conservative year-over-year. Why that is is anybody's guess, but even before Josh Allen we were better in the passing game. I don't think its talent. Was Kirkegaard better than Williams or Chambers? Cam Coffman? They really need to go back and see what worked in the passing game when they first arrived in Laramie, start from there and improve.

I know this a no-Vigen basing thread, but my question would be: if we totally revamp the playbook and introduce some creativity, can Vigen effectively call those plays for this "re-engineer" to be effective? Call me skeptical, at best.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Could this be the answer?: Bohl wants to add more passing. But the protection for the not-great-at-passing-QBs was not good enough to effect this. So what does he do? He hires an offensive line coach to correct this. Just my guess.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:18 pm Could this be the answer?: Bohl wants to add more passing. But the protection for the not-great-at-passing-QBs was not good enough to effect this. So what does he do? He hires an offensive line coach to correct this. Just my guess.
I certainly hope the new offensive line coach improves the pass blocking but this wasn't a bohl decision to make this change as his method to revamp the offense. Our old o-line coach was hired by another team, so bohl was forced to hire a new coach only after he lost the current coach.

My personal guess is we will see no differences next year. I seem to remember Bohl stating very similar things after last season going into this season, only to see the same offense occur that we have seen every season he has been here. I expect to see the exact same offense again next year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Nothing
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

The pass blocking certainly left something to be desired (run blocking, when not facing 10 out of 11 guys, they did fine). But another part comes down to QB coaching and WR coaching. Both of which have been issues for awhile.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I agree that there are some issues in pass blocking that can be worked out.

We know we're going to face a loaded box and that we're unlikely to have much of a vertical threat. Still, we have a lot of 1-1 matchups on the outside and against TEs. I wonder if they are working on routes and techniques to exploit 1-1 in the short to intermediate passing game. Off the cuff, it didn't seem like the check down option was very active. Perhaps working on simplifying reads on quick passes to the outside and using backs more in a check down?

I don't know, but the inability to pass is really the total deal; gameplan, playcalling, blocking, route running, catching, etc. There can't be just 1 problem. I'm guessing they're looking at something in all these areas.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I don't see much changing with the lack of the coaching changes, power football is this staff's bread and butter and it's great when it works, but we DO need to also stay up with the times and, shocker, throw the ball a bit more, Cmon Pokes figure things out and soon, I'd love to see a MWC title and soon, afterall dreams do come true, sometimes...
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I also question whether they can really effectively reengineer the offense without significant staffing changes. If you can't make the offense that you supposedly know work, can you make a re-engineered offense that's new to you work? It seems unlikely.

I have significant doubts. I think, offensively, they're in way over their heads and just grasping in desperation to buy time at this point. As always, I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'll believe it when I see it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Pass blocking and route concepts. I also think there needs to be fewer runs on 1st down. A 2-3 yard run on 1st down is the lowest-efficiency play you can call. Our third down problems start on first down, when we set ourselves up for a predictable call - either a long pass when we are in 3rd and long or a run up the gut on 3rd and 1.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I guess it all comes down to what re-engineer means. To me that means start from scratch, reevaluate and rebuild everything based on what you've learned from past experiences.

Without a change in coordinator I'm guessing re-engineer is going to be more like making small changes within the same overall framework.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 pm Pass blocking and route concepts. I also think there needs to be fewer runs on 1st down. A 2-3 yard run on 1st down is the lowest-efficiency play you can call. Our third down problems start on first down, when we set ourselves up for a predictable call - either a long pass when we are in 3rd and long or a run up the gut on 3rd and 1.
The other most predictable play is a run on second down after an incomplete pass on 1st. If you decide to pass on 1st, you should be ready to pass on all 3.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 pm Pass blocking and route concepts. I also think there needs to be fewer runs on 1st down. A 2-3 yard run on 1st down is the lowest-efficiency play you can call. Our third down problems start on first down, when we set ourselves up for a predictable call - either a long pass when we are in 3rd and long or a run up the gut on 3rd and 1.
The other most predictable play is a run on second down after an incomplete pass on 1st. If you decide to pass on 1st, you should be ready to pass on all 3.
Order of pass vs run call us absolutely not the problem. Plenty of good teams run on first.. Plenty pass on first. It's either the "A" overall scheme being bad or it is "B" poor execution. My opinion is a lot of "A" and enough of "B" to keep the coaches convinced that it will work out they can just fix it.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Just as I thought, alls quiet on the Western Front, unfortunately, c'est la vie at good ol' W.Y.O.
Medocrity is our middle name, sigh...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm Just as I thought, alls quiet on the Western Front, unfortunately, c'est la vie at good ol' W.Y.O.
?? Did I miss something?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

307bball wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:54 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm Just as I thought, alls quiet on the Western Front, unfortunately, c'est la vie at good ol' W.Y.O.
?? Did I miss something?
Pretty sure he's maligning the lack of offensive personnel changes
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Bohl talking about all these little league coaches reminds me of the wall street elites talking about their sophisticated system and how cavemen retail investors don't know what they're doing while these unsophisticated fart in the bathtub types are killing wall street for billions right now. Using a fancy system isn't necessary when you overlook extremely simple risks like shorting over 100% of a stock.

Hopefully Bohl and company give up their unnecessarily sophisticated system on offense and realize they are hurting themselves by ignoring the obvious weaknesses they've created for themselves. His pretentious little league comments make me feel he will be no different than the jackass hedge fund managers.