Vic Koenning on Administrative Leave

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I have to say, that story is really hard to follow and understand.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm I have to say, that story is really hard to follow and understand.
Agreed, the story is still developing I suppose. Now the top article on ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... streatment

While Koenning was a terrible head coach, I had never heard allegations of him being a racist here at Wyoming. Will be an interesting story to follow.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:31 pm
Lost Poke wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm I have to say, that story is really hard to follow and understand.
Agreed, the story is still developing I suppose. Now the top article on ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... streatment

While Koenning was a terrible head coach, I had never heard allegations of him being a racist here at Wyoming. Will be an interesting story to follow.
I'm glad we weren't mentioned at all in that ESPN story. I think it's entirely possible he never said anything at all out loud during his time at Wyoming. The political climate now is way different with many people removing their filters entirely (while others are almost overly careful not to offend), and it's also possible we had zero Muslims on the team during his tenure.

Either way, definitely highly inappropriate if the accusations are true.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think it’s cool that a single student can sink a coach as long as he claims “racism”. It’s also cool that phone video superheroes can harass white people as long as we believe they said the “n word” off camera. There’s no way they’d ever weaponize something like that especially in light of the dozens and dozens of hate hoaxes.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:14 am I think it’s cool that a single student can sink a coach as long as he claims “racism”. It’s also cool that phone video superheroes can harass white people as long as we believe they said the “n word” off camera. There’s no way they’d ever weaponize something like that especially in light of the dozens and dozens of hate hoaxes.
Like for example, the recent one of NASCAR's Bubba Wallace. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Some people never worked road construction, oil field, or other real job and it shows.

I'll leave it at that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 am Some people never worked road construction, oil field, or other real job and it shows.

I'll leave it at that.
I used the N-word growing up. I joked about gypsies (sorry, I know that's also a slur for Roma), Somalians, Jews, and who knows what else?

That doesn't make it right or any less racist.

"On real work sites, we grope women and beat the poop out of Mexicans. It shows you guys have never had a real job!"

I don't think most people mean harm by using that kind of language, but behavior inevitably has consequences somewhere.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 am Some people never worked road construction, oil field, or other real job and it shows.

I'll leave it at that.
I used the N-word growing up. I joked about gypsies (sorry, I know that's also a slur for Roma), Somalians, Jews, and who knows what else?

That doesn't make it right or any less racist.

"On real work sites, we grope women and beat the Sh#t out of Mexicans. It shows you guys have never had a real job!"

I don't think most people mean harm by using that kind of language, but behavior inevitably has consequences somewhere.
I worked real jobs with real men of all religions, ethnicities, and whatever else.

I'll guarantee you there wasn't 1 man with his "feelings hurt" and there was nothing held back ever. Get the damn job done is all that mattered. If you did get the job done, you had respect despite what words were thrown around. If you didn't get the job done, you didn't get respect and likely run off. Race, religion, or anything else didn't matter.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

It wasn't mentioned, but I'll bet Vic also had something to do with climate change.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I'll leave it at that.
I'll agree that the world we live is way too sensitive in many ways. But I think it is fair to hold one of the highest paid members of a University to a different standard than a roughneck working at a well site.

That said, I'm not going to render any judgment on what Koenning did or did not do and whether he was in the wrong at West Virginia without more established facts. With what is out there right now and a former coach conflicting the report of the student athlete, it seems to be a bit unfair to Koenning that he is all over the news without much understanding of what did/did not happen. Press like that almost guarantees that job opportunities will be limited in the future for him regardless of what actually happened.

Personally, I can recall instances such as playing sports with buddies in the past when I might have playfully said something like "man pay attention to the play, you're such a retard." While using the term retard isn't the best word to use at all, I'd be devastated if a comment like that which didn't really have any ill intent toward the handicapped community whatsoever had a real impact on my career.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:46 pm

I'll leave it at that.
I'll agree that the world we live is way too sensitive in many ways. But I think it is fair to hold one of the highest paid members of a University to a different standard than a roughneck working at a well site.
I meant more people in general and likely the kids. Has anybody asked questions like: Did he help all players develop? Did he provide equal opportunity for success for all players? Was everyone equally working towards one goal? Etc. Was it something done or just something said.

I've worked for foreman that would kick your ass, curse your mom, curse your heritage, and about every other thing under the planet, but they did it equally. They also gave everyone the chance to earn their paycheck, earn respect, and work your way up.

Sure, it sucked at times, but everyone had a thick skin and worked towards one goal. Regardless of what was said, there was never any doubt that anyone at any stage had your back if it was about getting the job done and at work. Did everyone sing kumbaya after hours? Hell no. Some people despised each other, but work was work and your personal crap was checked at the door. There was never anything done that would discriminate against a person but something was said about every 10 minutes that would be characterized as discrimination by today's standards. They were just words not actions. Big difference.

Agreed though, VK needs to be smarter in this oversensitive environment today.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:46 pm Personally, I can recall instances such as playing sports with buddies in the past when I might have playfully said something like "man pay attention to the play, you're such a retard." While using the term retard isn't the best word to use at all, I'd be devastated if a comment like that which didn't really have any ill intent toward the handicapped community whatsoever had a real impact on my career.
I'm handicapped since birth (celebral palsy) and I have NO problems with anyone using the word retard. Hell, I use that word a lot especially talking about Fort Fart State. :D :winky:

It's good to be a Wyoming Cowboy. :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

It's lockeroom talk. Pathetic that this kid can't separate that from real life.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 am
I worked real jobs with real men of all religions, ethnicities, and whatever else.

I'll guarantee you there wasn't 1 man with his "feelings hurt" and there was nothing held back ever. Get the damn job done is all that mattered. If you did get the job done, you had respect despite what words were thrown around. If you didn't get the job done, you didn't get respect and likely run off. Race, religion, or anything else didn't matter.
Real jobs, as opposed to what? Fake jobs? :D

Honestly, if people don't get why it's just inappropriate to throw the N-word around as a white dude, then I guess I wouldn't bother explaining it either. Our officers called us all kinds of names in the military. Never that, though.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 am

Real jobs, as opposed to what? Fake jobs? :D

Honestly, if people don't get why it's just inappropriate to throw the N-word around as a white dude, then I guess I wouldn't bother explaining it either. Our officers called us all kinds of names in the military. Never that, though.
As opposed to a bunch of white collar former frat boys who feel sorry for something they said in a frat house during their time at college.

I must have missed where he called someone the N word. Story sounded like he used the word retard and took a political stance on building the wall, the protests, etc.

If he called someone the n word, sure, but it sounds more like a bunch of oversensitive sissies because the coach supported a different political view and used the word retard. Career ending?

Meh, like I said, real people in real jobs face more than that by the minute.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

For the record...
This is 100% true. Coach Vic did visit me in Charleston to bring me food and as I said in my initial post he has done good by me and he is not a bad person but his thoughts and beliefs are mislead.

Interesting...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm As opposed to a bunch of white collar former frat boys who feel sorry for something they said in a frat house during their time at college.

I must have missed where he called someone the N word. Story sounded like he used the word retard and took a political stance on building the wall, the protests, etc.

If he called someone the n word, sure, but it sounds more like a bunch of oversensitive sissies because the coach supported a different political view and used the word retard. Career ending?

Meh, like I said, real people in real jobs face more than that by the minute.
It sounds as if the story's all over the place. I got the impression initially that this was about the N-word, not something like retard. I get why you're not supposed to say "retard," and I don't use it (aside from in here and in the context of these posts), but I hardly believe any football players would be upset at this level about it. If so, this is crazy overblown... hell, it might be overblown anyway.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:14 am I think it’s cool that a single student can sink a coach as long as he claims “racism”. It’s also cool that phone video superheroes can harass white people as long as we believe they said the “n word” off camera. There’s no way they’d ever weaponize something like that especially in light of the dozens and dozens of hate hoaxes.
I kinda understand what they are going through. And yeah, they do need a bunch of help. However, we all need to address these things responsibly. The extremes are always a bad way to go.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:46 pm

I'll leave it at that.

That said, I'm not going to render any judgment on what Koenning did or did not do and whether he was in the wrong at West Virginia without more established facts. With what is out there right now and a former coach conflicting the report of the student athlete, it seems to be a bit unfair to Koenning that he is all over the news without much understanding of what did/did not happen. Press like that almost guarantees that job opportunities will be limited in the future for him regardless of what actually happened.

Personally, I can recall instances such as playing sports with buddies in the past when I might have playfully said something like "man pay attention to the play, you're such a retard." While using the term retard isn't the best word to use at all, I'd be devastated if a comment like that which didn't really have any ill intent toward the handicapped community whatsoever had a real impact on my career.
+100 yep - words don't hurt people much - actions do. Its a f-word up situation, but I hope they do get up and become more equal after this. I'd like to say I've worked hard for the things in my life, and I'll bet I've had enslaved ancestors, but hell, there isn't any harder work than the work at the end of a whip. Nobody should like that.

I wish the constitution was a bit more clear on these things. No slavery. People are equal. I also wish we had an NRA for the first amendment, 4th and 5th - and well, all of them really. Except - no soldiers in the house - that hasn't been a big thing.