OT: Could 2020 just end now!!!!!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

If it aint the coronavirus, it these damned protests aka riots!!!!!!

Dallas, SLC, Minneapolis, Nashville,.....

Sadly things will get worse.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's going to get worse before it gets better. A lot worse.

It's so weird watching this going on, but I suppose that just shows me how much of a bubble I live in. Riots have always been a part of this country, and apparently that's also how it's changed for the better in the past, so maybe that's the case this time around as well? Or not, but one can dare hope, at least, while also feeling pain for victims both of the violence and the ones losing their livelihood to those taking advantage of the chaos to sow further discord.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Also, very unlikely, but... A former co-worker of mine is a photographer and managed to take a picture of this guy starting everything going to hell in Seattle yesterday:

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EFAEAC3

Protests were peaceful, and then this guy comes carrying a large No Parking sign, flings it high up in the air in the middle of the protesters, and when it hits the ground there's a loud bang and after a few seconds of confusion the police respond with firing tear gas.

If anybody's interested in the video of it all, here's a link

In other words, the police can't really be faulted as they don't know for sure that somebody didn't fire a shot or throw something worse at them, but somebody was really interested in lighting a fire.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:58 pm It's going to get worse before it gets better. A lot worse.

It's so weird watching this going on, but I suppose that just shows me how much of a bubble I live in. Riots have always been a part of this country, and apparently that's also how it's changed for the better in the past, so maybe that's the case this time around as well? Or not, but one can dare hope, at least, while also feeling pain for victims both of the violence and the ones losing their livelihood to those taking advantage of the chaos to sow further discord.
Please tell me one instance where "riots" led to change for the better? I didn't realize that destroying personal property and looting are good things. You have some moronic views. People who want to go out in public without a mask are like drunk drivers. Yet, thugs setting cars and buildings ablaze are agents of positive change.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

A tanker truck just plowed into a sea of protestors on a highway in Minneapolis a while ago.

Plus, there's a very good possibility of riots and poop tonight after the sun goes down here in Oklahoma City in the downtown area.

Most of the troublemakers in all of these dumb-assed riots aren't even from the states they're in plus a good number of them are probably getting paid under the table.

It's going to get far FAR worse before it gets better.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The Stamp Act Riots led repeal of the stamp act. Also led to to the Sons of Liberty. Plenty of destruction of property. I personally think it is ignorant for communities to destroy their infrastructure, but I can’t imagine what would happen in pro 2nd amendment communities if government officials were literally murdering people. The paramedic Lady in Louisville is another example of government violating a persons constitutional rights. Isn’t that what the 2nd amendment is for? I also think it is ridiculous that people are flooding cities and manipulating protests to loot and taking advantage of the situation

Please tell me one instance where "riots" led to change for the better? I didn't realize that destroying personal property and looting are good things. You have some moronic views. People who want to go out in public without a mask are like drunk drivers. Yet, thugs setting cars and buildings ablaze are agents of positive change.
Last edited by ELKMT on Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 pm Please tell me one instance where "riots" led to change for the better? I didn't realize that destroying personal property and looting are good things. You have some moronic views. People who want to go out in public without a mask are like drunk drivers. Yet, thugs setting cars and buildings ablaze are agents of positive change.
The Boston Tea Party is probably the first and most important one.

I'm not claiming riots are positive, nor am I supporting them. I'm claiming that sometimes they do lead to positive change, no matter how much they also ruin.

I'd normally bite on your other stuff too, but there's really no point to it. People not knowing how to control their emotions is a huge part of this mess to begin with, so I suppose I can at least try myself?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

10 p.m. curfew imposed here in Oklahoma City for certain parts of the downtown area. Some damage but nothing really bad so far.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 pm Please tell me one instance where "riots" led to change for the better? I didn't realize that destroying personal property and looting are good things. You have some moronic views. People who want to go out in public without a mask are like drunk drivers. Yet, thugs setting cars and buildings ablaze are agents of positive change.

I'm not claiming riots are positive, nor am I supporting them. I'm claiming that sometimes they do lead to positive change, no matter how much they also ruin.

I'd normally bite on your other stuff too, but there's really no point to it. People not knowing how to control their emotions is a huge part of this mess to begin with, so I suppose I can at least try myself?
The Boston Tea party was not a 'riot". Tea was dumped into the Boston harbor in protest. Businesses were not burned and looted. I'd like to know the positive change you think is going to happen from this. The officer has been charged. There is an ongoing investigation. Minneapolis has a black police chief already. Perhaps the goal is to make all white people feel guilty over the actions of one person? We live in a country with 330 million people. To take one incident and make it indicative of the nation at large is questionable, at best.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I try not to buy into extreme conspiracy theories, but with the fact that many of these thugs are not even from the city or state they are looting tells me something is up. How are these groups being organized? How are they being funded? Why aren't we mass arresting these people? I have never bought into the concept of a political party pushing something like this, but I'm starting to wonder.

I don't understand the protests? Everyone agrees the situation is terrible, the cop is awful, the cop is arrested, the cop will go to jail. That's justice. Perhaps he should be charged with murder 1 but I don't know the legal definitions enough to know if murder 1 is simply not possible.

I also can't understand how politicians support these mass gatherings but not going to church. How can you shutter businesses and fine them for opening but no punishment for destroying or looting a business?

I'm afraid the world has passed me by, lol. I'm just not smart enough to understand how this has become possible let alone acceptable. Maybe I'm too old.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

crazy that some people are defending the violence and looting. Asinine. Everyone that can be ID'd doing a crime better be prosecuted.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:46 am crazy that some people are defending the violence and looting. Asinine. Everyone that can be ID'd doing a crime better be prosecuted.
Crazy that some people think that anyone is actually defending violence and looting.

I realize that my statement is hyperbole as I'm sure that someone is bound to be defending it, but we are talking about an extremely small percentage of the population; and from what I can tell NO ONE on here is defending violence and looting.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:05 am

The Boston Tea party was not a 'riot". Tea was dumped into the Boston harbor in protest. Businesses were not burned and looted. I'd like to know the positive change you think is going to happen from this. The officer has been charged. There is an ongoing investigation. Minneapolis has a black police chief already. Perhaps the goal is to make all white people feel guilty over the actions of one person? We live in a country with 330 million people. To take one incident and make it indicative of the nation at large is questionable, at best.
By definition, a riot is "a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd." So by that definition, the Boston Tea Party was very much a riot. Neither I, nor do I think anyone on WyoNation, is defending rioting and looting. But I think those that are peacefully protesting A) have the right to do so, and B) certainly have a reason for why they are.

To suggest that this is only 1 incident is very short-sighted. This may have been the final straw that sparked these riots, but there are hundreds, thousands of incidents over the last several decades that have led to this. This didn't start with George Floyd, nor, sadly, will it end with him.

Just remember, a few bad people do not characterize an entire group. Just how not all police officers are racist, murderers; not all protesters are violent "thugs" looking to loot and riot.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Well, Biden is paying their bail. Maybe not a full endorsement, but pretty symbolic... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minn ... SKBN2360SZ
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Perhaps a few light slap on the hands but overall apologetic and borderline endorsement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... -brutality
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:35 pm

By definition, a riot is "a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd." So by that definition, the Boston Tea Party was very much a riot. Neither I, nor do I think anyone on WyoNation, is defending rioting and looting. But I think those that are peacefully protesting A) have the right to do so, and B) certainly have a reason for why they are.

To suggest that this is only 1 incident is very short-sighted. This may have been the final straw that sparked these riots, but there are hundreds, thousands of incidents over the last several decades that have led to this. This didn't start with George Floyd, nor, sadly, will it end with him.

Just remember, a few bad people do not characterize an entire group. Just how not all police officers are racist, murderers; not all protesters are violent "thugs" looking to loot and riot.
If people want to peacefully protest, fine. The Boston Tea party was not violent. Tea was dumped into a harbor as a political statement. What part of that is violent? It wasn't and has never been described that way.

No one suggested this was the only incident. Remember Ferguson a few years ago? Burning and looting over a incident that was falsely reported. And regarding the protests themselves: I can't disagree more. This is about calling out all white people as racist. That this a racist nation. The senate minority leader Charles Schumer said it on tv yesterday. He said nothing has changed and that this is still a racist nation regarding people of color.
Well, if you believe that, then the protests make sense. Lastly, it is not a few bad people. It is thousands of violent thugs who are starting fires, looting stores, and beating innocent bystanders who want to protect their businesses.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Umm, the Boston Tea Party could be defined as a riot so to speak. However, it was in response to the Tea Act which indirectly was a way to force North American's to agree to Parliment's right of taxation (without representation) through the Townshend duties. The Boston Tea Party "riot" was directly targeting a key commodity in one of the first conflicts of Colonial America.

Tell me how destroying someone else's business, looting, and stealing a bunch of stuff that is 100% unrelated to the misconduct and murder by a police officer is the same as a protest against a specific commodity that was at the root of highly contested political issue? I'll wait :whistle:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 pm

If people want to peacefully protest, fine. The Boston Tea party was not violent. Tea was dumped into a harbor as a political statement. What part of that is violent? It wasn't and has never been described that way.
Remember the kneeling protests about the killing of unarmed black men during national anthems that were called "Un-American"? So, yeah.
No one suggested this was the only incident. Remember Ferguson a few years ago? Burning and looting over a incident that was falsely reported. And regarding the protests themselves: I can't disagree more. This is about calling out all white people as racist. That this a racist nation. The senate minority leader Charles Schumer said it on tv yesterday. He said nothing has changed and that this is still a racist nation regarding people of color.
No, its about calling out the racist people for their actions. Calling out those that let people off the hook for these injustices. And FYI, its NOT just black people in those protests, but plenty of people of other colors as well, including white people not afraid to call out those that have warped priorities.
But turning a blind eye to the racism that still prominently exists, is about as bad as being the racist. Its enabling it.
Well, if you believe that, then the protests make sense. Lastly, it is not a few bad people. It is thousands of violent thugs who are starting fires, looting stores, and beating innocent bystanders who want to protect their businesses.
[/quote]

Just one example of protestors calling out looters.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:46 am crazy that some people are defending the violence and looting. Asinine. Everyone that can be ID'd doing a crime better be prosecuted.
Crazy that some people think that anyone is actually defending violence and looting.

I realize that my statement is hyperbole as I'm sure that someone is bound to be defending it, but we are talking about an extremely small percentage of the population; and from what I can tell NO ONE on here is defending violence and looting.
I wasn't referring to you, but I've seen PLENTY on twitter and other social media defending it. Some think it's 100% justified
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 pm

First off, the one incident comment was brought up because you literally said "To take one incident and make it indicative of the nation at large is questionable, at best."

To the second part of your comment, no, not all white people are racist, but yes this absolutely is a racist nation, has been basically since it was founded. Want proof, turn on the tv.