New Defensive Coaches Introduced

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome (back) coaches!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I think Christmas came twice this week!! Good stuff, in the Smack Talk/ Rumors forum check out my new post in there from the MWC board, interesting stuff, doggin us and why we should leave the MWC
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Congrats to Coach Kaligas. Well-deserved promotion.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Sawvel Ready to “Enjoy Coaching Again” (wyosports.net)

Sawvel felt comfortable with (Bart) Miller and his familiarity with the Wyoming program. There was trust between the two. To an extent, UW was a known commodity before he ever spoke to Bohl. And, after speaking with Bohl, Sawvel immediately felt like he belonged. The two were very much on the same page as far as X’s and O’s were concerned. What Bohl cared about most, though, was fit.

“From a philosophical standpoint, you see why (Bohl’s) extremely good, and you see why he’s won championships,” Sawvel said. “He’s rooted in ageless principles of how to win … those things are very, very appealing.”

Link: https://www.wyosports.net/wyosports/saw ... 7840d.html
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I think I know why Bohl likes him. :D

Good article. Im optimistic about the hire.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

I think I know why Bohl likes him. :D

Good article. Im optimistic about the hire.
Seconded on the article, things in there give me reason to be optimistic as well. Sounds like he used his time after Wake Forest well. Welcome aboard coach and here is hoping you keep up the stifling D and maybe even improve the pass defense.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Good article.
Quotes from Oredigger about offensive tempo straining defense in 5, 4, 3, ...
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'm feeling better and better about the defense. Some young players need to step up, but I think we're finally at a place where we can reload and not rebuild. Coaches will put players in a position to succeed
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:07 am Good article.
Quotes from Oredigger about offensive tempo straining defense in 5, 4, 3, ...
Huh? You can just read the article.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I wasn’t too worried about his tenure at Wake. Probably didn’t have the talent since it is Wake. Article makes me feel a bit more warm and fuzzy
W-Y, Until I Die!
castlerocker
Cowpoke

I didn't see anything there that gave me the fuzzies.

He's got a plan but nothing in the article says he has things figured out.

The Pokes can only hope that Bohl knows more about him than do we.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

English Returns to Wyoming Sidelines For His Last Hoorah (wyosports.net)

LARAMIE – In the almost-decade that Marty English has been away from his beloved Laramie, a decent amount has changed in the University of Wyoming football program: three more bowl game appearances, a handful of new faces and a football facility that would be the envy of many Power 5 programs.

Recruiting is one of English’s great joys. The ability to build and maintain relationships, particularly in Colorado (English was raised there and attended Northern Colorado) is a pleasure. He knows the type of players that come from the state and the specific programs they hail from; there are no surprises. And recruiting well, particularly within Wyoming’s neighbor, is of the utmost importance.

“It’s everything,” English said. “You have to win recruiting, no matter where it’s at. But it is very important for us here at Wyoming to win Colorado.”

Link: https://www.wyosports.net/university_of ... 780d7.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

New Wyoming DC Jay Sawvel Talks Cowboy Football on the SportsZone [AUDIO]

"But, you know what, I'm excited. There are a lot of really good players that are going to be around here for a little bit."

Audio Link: https://www.kfbcradio.com/new-wyoming-d ... one-audio/
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

“Never in a Million Years”: How UW’s Benny Boyd Ended Up in Laramie (wyosports.net)

A group of coaches were huddled around during the drill, including University of Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl. They were probably looking at the recruits, Boyd thought to himself. Bohl approached Boyd following the drill, however, and told him he was impressed with the way he led the drill and articulated technique. The conversation lasted less than two minutes.

“I definitely want my guys to have a chip on their shoulder,” Boyd said. “I don’t want them to take away from the beauty of the game and take away from everything our teammates are working toward in terms of being selfish in any respect, but … I think pride in your personal performance is one of the strongest team weapons you can possess.”

Link: https://www.wyosports.net/wyosports/nev ... 5774a.html