If we can keep Maldonado, Foster, Marble, Taylor, Thompson for the next coach..

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Outside of Maldo, there isn’t much to keep. I’ve heard good stuff about the marble kid but can’t stand to watch more than a few minutes.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 am Outside of Maldo, there isn’t much to keep. I’ve heard good stuff about the marble kid but can’t stand to watch more than a few minutes.
Maldo is obviously a good player. Marble has been impressing me more and more with each game and I do think he's a legit MWC contributor on a good team. Taylor is super inconsistent and frustrating. Foster has been impressing me less and less lately.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I think with the right coaching staff, Foster could be good. He's clearly athletic, just needs more guidance. Same with Marble, some clear guidance and he could be a key player in a year or 2. Fingers crossed that a staff change can do something positive for both Hunters.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

We can’t get worse, so there is that reason for optimism.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
I don't think the kids on the roster are the problem. This staff is as bad as it can get. Edwards was not ready to be a head coach and likely never will. He hasn't improved these players in any way at all. His philosophy is as solid as baby poop. He wants to shoot threes which is a great idea but he has zero ability to execute that idea. Defensively they aren't capable of teaching even basic concepts. AE can yell all day long. A capable coach would adjust and find a different way to reach these kids. AE is still running into a brick wall after how many years?

A competent coach will put these guys in a position to be successful. I don't think they're a tournament caliber team with the current talent, but they could be a middle of the road MWC team. The MWC is trash besides SDSU and a couple solid but not spectacular teams. A guy like Menzies with a good system would have this team in the top half of the conference even with the lack of big man talent. If someone could get Hunter Thompson to wipe the molasses off his shoes and rotate on defense then this team could actually be pretty good.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

The only way Thompson will be a contributor is if he can be completely hidden on defense and is not counted on to rebound whatsoever. He's a decent offensive player, I guess, but his rebounding and defense if brutal to watch. He's so slow.