MWC Finalizes $270M Media Rights Deal With CBS Sports, Fox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

“Last week Boise State filed a complaint regarding media rights against the Mountain West Conference, however, that action alone does not formally begin a lawsuit. The University and the Mountain West are currently in discussions in hopes of bringing this matter to a resolution without litigation.”
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Get ahead of this and vote them out. Only follow through with football schedule if necessary.

byu showed what letting a cancer remain in conference can do. It isn't worth it. Shed bsu as soon as possible.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

POKE FAN wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 pm “Last week Boise State filed a complaint regarding media rights against the Mountain West Conference, however, that action alone does not formally begin a lawsuit. The University and the Mountain West are currently in discussions in hopes of bringing this matter to a resolution without litigation.”
That’s not how I would think a rational party seeking to maintain a conference relationship would act (filing a complaint within a month or so of the alleged breach). Once the complaint was filed, regardless of it being served, the dirty laundry became public.

I can only think that Boise wants out of the conference. I agree - if Boise follows through - we should never schedule them in any sport. But we caved to BYU so I’m not so sure we wouldn’t do the same with Boise.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I read the complaint and it is interesting. My take is they are to receive their 1.8 million bonus + their equal share as agreed upon in the re-entry agreement. However, they requested that they receive the 1.8 bonus in addition to a larger percentage split of the TV pool (never agreed upon by anyone). One point they are mad about is that they don't feel Hair tried hard enough to get them a bigger share. That complaint is poop. Their other complaint is the theoretical phase out of the 1.8 million bonus and separate TV negotiation. That has some validity because it was in the re-entry agreement BUT that won't be relevant for 6 more years. Plenty of time to negotiate that.

Still, the point that stuck out for me was that BSU was the first one who wanted to amend the deal to get them more money. I guess the re-entry agreement isn't concrete when BSU wants more money (i.e. they wanted a bigger share of the TV pool) but is concrete if the MWC tries to take something. Money be damned, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm Money be damned, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left.
They are the new BYU. Not worth the trouble. We were getting peanuts before this new deal, so it's not like we would be losing the goose that lays the golden egg.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm I read the complaint and it is interesting. My take is they are to receive their 1.8 million bonus + their equal share as agreed upon in the re-entry agreement. However, they requested that they receive the 1.8 bonus in addition to a larger percentage split of the TV pool (never agreed upon by anyone). One point they are mad about is that they don't feel Hair tried hard enough to get them a bigger share. That complaint is poop. Their other complaint is the theoretical phase out of the 1.8 million bonus and separate TV negotiation. That has some validity because it was in the re-entry agreement BUT that won't be relevant for 6 more years. Plenty of time to negotiate that.

Still, the point that stuck out for me was that BSU was the first one who wanted to amend the deal to get them more money. I guess the re-entry agreement isn't concrete when BSU wants more money (i.e. they wanted a bigger share of the TV pool) but is concrete if the MWC tries to take something. Money be damned, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left.
It's beginning to appear more and more that Boise State may have (possibly inadvertently) committed an act of repudiation of their re-entry contract by asking for more money than the deal explicitly gave them. This would essentially be considered a breach by most courts.

It also appears that Boise State, in its own complaint, admits to this (asking for an increase), and also admits it signed off on the new TV contract subsequent to asking for an increase.

The upshot of all of this, is if Boise State did repudiate their re-entry contract, then the rest of the conference was pretty generous about letting the $1.8M extra continue for another six years. Instead, they simply decided to end it after this contract, as the re-entry contract, in part or in whole, could be considered invalidated by their breach.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm I read the complaint and it is interesting. My take is they are to receive their 1.8 million bonus + their equal share as agreed upon in the re-entry agreement. However, they requested that they receive the 1.8 bonus in addition to a larger percentage split of the TV pool (never agreed upon by anyone). One point they are mad about is that they don't feel Hair tried hard enough to get them a bigger share. That complaint is poop. Their other complaint is the theoretical phase out of the 1.8 million bonus and separate TV negotiation. That has some validity because it was in the re-entry agreement BUT that won't be relevant for 6 more years. Plenty of time to negotiate that.

It's beginning to appear more and more that Boise State may have (possibly inadvertently) committed an act of repudiation of their re-entry contract by asking for more money than the deal explicitly gave them. This would essentially be considered a breach by most courts.

It also appears that Boise State, in its own complaint, admits to this (asking for an increase), and also admits it signed off on the new TV contract subsequent to asking for an increase.

The upshot of all of this, is if Boise State did repudiate their re-entry contract, then the rest of the conference was pretty generous about letting the $1.8M extra continue for another six years. Instead, they simply decided to end it after this contract, as the re-entry contract, in part or in whole, could be considered invalidated by their breach.
Good stuff, WyoVanian. As the world turns with Boise. :whistle:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 pm

That's a good point.

I'm really starting to think this all went down with bsu asking for a bigger chunk despite being given what was agreed upon. They task Hair with presenting the idea to the conference. Hair says he'll try to pull it off. Conference presidents get pissed and not only say no but hold the vote to end all special treatment in next round. Now here we are.

I truly believe that long-term, it would be best to vote bsu out effective immediately. Re-open TV negotiations in good faith with TV partners. Out of spite, I'd forfeit all bsu games (still make them travel). They can be conference champs in their last season but won't play a game after their OOC is done. I know the latter is petty and won't happen but I'd still vote them out ASAP. It would remove all leverage they might have with AAC. They can reapply to the MWC, go Indy, or take whatever terms the AAC gives them.

My fear is we have enough schools with overinflated opinions of themselves that they will follow bsu and byu into some scenario that blows up the MWC.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I'm always incredibly flummoxed by these conference re-alignment moves. I'm pretty pessimistic that Wyoming comes out of any of this better than before.

Am I the only one that thinks special treatment in a conference or sports league is a bad idea? Isn't this what prompted Nebraska to leave the Big 12? Do SEC and Big 10 conferences have special treatment of power football programs? It just seems like its a good way to create resentment and eventual problems.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:08 pm I'm always incredibly flummoxed by these conference re-alignment moves. I'm pretty pessimistic that Wyoming comes out of any of this better than before.

Am I the only one that thinks special treatment in a conference or sports league is a bad idea? Isn't this what prompted Nebraska to leave the Big 12? Do SEC and Big 10 conferences have special treatment of power football programs? It just seems like its a good way to create resentment and eventual problems.
Isn't the point of the conference to have a bunch of equals with something in common in a regional arena that makes scheduling and traveling easier?

I can kind of understand getting a bit more when BSU was world dominators, but hell, they haven't been like that in damn near a decade.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

My 1st year in school 88, remember being part of the goalpost down Grand to the Buck...against UTEP, cold day
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 pm My 1st year in school 88, remember being part of the goalpost down Grand to the Buck...against UTEP, cold day
1988? The year we clinched the Conference Championship at home (1st time ever) with a win over the Miners on CBS, 52-6!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

FFS, it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times :lol:
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 pm FFS, it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times :lol:
So I have a special love for 1988...great music, great memories as a kid, and...oh yeah....our LAST OUTRIGHT Conference Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 pm FFS, it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times :lol:
So I have a special love for 1988...great music, great memories as a kid, and...oh yeah....our LAST OUTRIGHT Conference Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
So you still wear your Poison t-shirt everywhere?
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 pm My 1st year in school 88, remember being part of the goalpost down Grand to the Buck...against UTEP, cold day
That was a great day. We just demolished them in all phases. That was after we'd lost to Houston, so it felt like a return to normalcy. Sadly, Barry Sanders and Hart Lee Dykes didn't think we should be allowed to enjoy the winning feeling in San Diego.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:58 am
Wyokie wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 pm
So you still wear your Poison t-shirt everywhere?
Nope, don't own a Poison t-shirt. However, I own a Def Leppard shirt that I got from their 1988 Hysteria Tour stop in Casper, July 4, 1988. :D Great concert that night btw.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Lost Poke wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 am
That was a great day. We just demolished them in all phases. That was after we'd lost to Houston, so it felt like a return to normalcy. Sadly, Barry Sanders and Hart Lee Dykes didn't think we should be allowed to enjoy the winning feeling in San Diego.
I still have nightmares of that Holiday Bowl disaster!!!! :roll: Best team ever and we just sat looking like a bunch of morons against Okie State!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyokie wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 am
Lost Poke wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 am
I still have nightmares of that Holiday Bowl disaster!!!! :roll: Best team ever and we just sat looking like a bunch of morons against Okie State!
The best Cowboy team I ever saw was the 1967 bunch that went 10-0 in the regular season, had the #1 rated defense in the country, went to the Sugar Bowl and was ahead of LSU 13-0 at halftime. Unfortunately the Pokes ran out of gas the second half and ended up losing 20-13. Jim Kiick was the running back (later was the other half of the Miami nightmare with Larry Csonka). The 1968 team was shaping up to be even better and then Eaton pulled his poop with the Black 14 and the rest is history.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.