Another Poke in the NFL

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

Another former Poke (sort of) has signed with an NFL team.

Kongbo just signed with the 49ers, with the possibility to play next season: https://www.tsn.ca/former-winnipeg-blue ... -1.1421776
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Forget Kongbo
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Not a Poke. He redshirted a year and then left for greener pastures.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

TrackPoke wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 pm Another former Poke (sort of...but not really) has signed with an NFL team.

Kongbo just signed with the 49ers, with the possibility to play next season: https://www.tsn.ca/former-winnipeg-blue ... -1.1421776
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

So who is the Poke you speak of?
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

wyokoke wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am So who is the Poke you speak of?
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. If not...

Jonathan Kongbo was from the Congo and moved to Canada. I think he only played high school football for one year. He signed with UW and redshirted as a freshman. He then transferred to Arizona Western College for a year and emerged as the #1 rated JUCO prospect. He signed with Tennessee.

Just to clarify my initial post, I don't consider him to be a POKE, but it is fun to follow some of these guys and see where they end up.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Not very many that leave the program are successful. Kongbo is the exception, but imo he did himself no favors leaving. He would have gotten more playing time here and would have racked up stats and gotten noticed, but he proved he had little integrity and resolve by leaving.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

The thing about Kongbo is he seems to me a ‘me first’ person. Now I base this on his actions as a rostered player at Wyoming and nothing else.

But recall...here is a guy who literally played in like 6 HS games and was very very raw. He is discovered by Bohl and staff and given a scholarship when he was on no one’s radar. Without Wyoming, he likely never gets where he is. Well, Kongbo lights it up in practice while redshirting at a Wyoming (and on scholly) and word gets out about his physical talent.

...so how does he repay Bohl and staff and the University that gave him this opportunity, he decides to leave knowing he can get a scholly to a big time program. All he had to do was spend a year at a JUCO to do this (rather than sitting out a year and immediately transferring to another FBS). We can call it the Cam Newton approach. Rumor was that Kongbo even had an Alabama offer. Ultimately Kongbo signs with Tennessee.

Josh Allen had the physical talent and he could have pulled a Kongbo and played anywhere in the country too. But he didn’t. He gave his all for the University and staff that gave him a chance. I wear my Josh Allen Buffalo Bills jersey proudly. I honestly wouldn’t care if Kongbo ever played a down in the NFL and I won’t be rooting for him personally. To each their own.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

TrackPoke wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am
wyokoke wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am So who is the Poke you speak of?
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. If not...

Jonathan Kongbo was from the Congo and moved to Canada. I think he only played high school football for one year. He signed with UW and redshirted as a freshman. He then transferred to Arizona Western College for a year and emerged as the #1 rated JUCO prospect. He signed with Tennessee.

Just to clarify my initial post, I don't consider him to be a POKE, but it is fun to follow some of these guys and see where they end up.
I am. It's "Another Poke in the NFL" about a guy that played 0 snaps here. Cool
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, kind of hard to call him a Poke when all he did was redshirt here.