UNLV

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
User avatar
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4663
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm

bladerunnr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am
The fanbase in Wyoming is fanatical. it's rabid. But I don't think the fan base wants to traverse the state to care more about the game at hand than the brown and gold team playing in it. Whether that is perception or reality, I dont know, but this team looks like they don't give a damn about basketball. They don't look coached, they don't look engaged and they rarely play as a team. This, way more than the losing, is why I gave up my tickets this season. I am not going to pay that $$$ to feel more invested in the games than the team.

If Burman can hire a coach who COACHES and can bring this team together to start playing competitive basketball, the fans will return. But not until then.
That's a smear on the players that's really unjustified. I've seen this team play and they play hard. Why can't posters on this board ever accept the fact that we don't have the talent? There were posters who thought TVW was going to end up at csewe or another D1 program. Let me clue you in: Other than Maldanoado, there's not a player on our team who would see the floor on most of the teams in this conference.
John Wooden himself couldn't do anything with this group. So stop claiming they just need coached up. It just ignores reality.
- Jake Hendricks set the school record for 3s made at his last school with 191. That takes talent.
- Banks shot 50% from the field and over 40% from 3 at his previous school before coming to Wyoming. He was also recruited by Utah State. Requires talent.
- Kenny Foster was a Gatorade Player of the Year. Talent.
- TJ Taylor shot 46% from the field and 40% from 3 at his last school. Also recruited by Utah State. Talent.
- Thompson was a 4 star recruit. Played at the Top 100 camp in high school. Received multiple offers from good basketball schools like CU and Creighton. This doesnt happen if you're not talented.
- Morman. Talented
- Maldonado is the best player by far. A very good college basketball player.

No, I am not trying to imply the team is constructed to win the league and make a run in the tournament but they are far better than 5-13. The talent is there to be closer to .500. Despite how inept this coaching staff is, it cannot all be laid on their shoulders. At some point, the players have to execute. All you Vigen fluffers cannot wait to throw the players under the bus for "nOt ExCuTiNg tHiS iNcReDiBly DiFfIcUlT oFfEnSe" under terrible coaching but then when the basketball players are expected to rise to their talent level inspite of their terrible coaches it's a smear? Cmon man, I am not smearing them. They are a better team than they show.
Image
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:09 am
bladerunnr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am
The fanbase in Wyoming is fanatical. it's rabid. But I don't think the fan base wants to traverse the state to care more about the game at hand than the brown and gold team playing in it. Whether that is perception or reality, I dont know, but this team looks like they don't give a damn about basketball. They don't look coached, they don't look engaged and they rarely play as a team. This, way more than the losing, is why I gave up my tickets this season. I am not going to pay that $$$ to feel more invested in the games than the team.

If Burman can hire a coach who COACHES and can bring this team together to start playing competitive basketball, the fans will return. But not until then.
That's a smear on the players that's really unjustified. I've seen this team play and they play hard. Why can't posters on this board ever accept the fact that we don't have the talent? There were posters who thought TVW was going to end up at csewe or another D1 program. Let me clue you in: Other than Maldanoado, there's not a player on our team who would see the floor on most of the teams in this conference.
John Wooden himself couldn't do anything with this group. So stop claiming they just need coached up. It just ignores reality.
- Jake Hendricks set the school record for 3s made at his last school with 191. That takes talent.
- Banks shot 50% from the field and over 40% from 3 at his previous school before coming to Wyoming. He was also recruited by Utah State. Requires talent.
- Kenny Foster was a Gatorade Player of the Year. Talent.
- TJ Taylor shot 46% from the field and 40% from 3 at his last school. Also recruited by Utah State. Talent.
- Thompson was a 4 star recruit. Played at the Top 100 camp in high school. Received multiple offers from good basketball schools like CU and Creighton. This doesnt happen if you're not talented.
- Morman. Talented
- Maldonado is the best player by far. A very good college basketball player.

No, I am not trying to imply the team is constructed to win the league and make a run in the tournament but they are far better than 5-13. The talent is there to be closer to .500. Despite how inept this coaching staff is, it cannot all be laid on their shoulders. At some point, the players have to execute. All you Vigen fluffers cannot wait to throw the players under the bus for "nOt ExCuTiNg tHiS iNcReDiBly DiFfIcUlT oFfEnSe" under terrible coaching but then when the basketball players are expected to rise to their talent level inspite of their terrible coaches it's a smear? Cmon man, I am not smearing them. They are a better team than they show.
Hendricks and Banks prior schools were JC's. Nearly meaningless. TJ Taylor might make 40 percent of his layups. Thompson is a big man who plays like someone 6 inches shorter. Hendricks misses one wide open look after another. Don't know where Foster was a player of the year - was it somewhere like Alberta Canada? He might be a decent role player someday but to say he's talented - compared to what? He doesn't have any size and he can't shoot or defend. The fact is, we have no post players and no size. We got outrebounded by 20 saturday. Maldanaodo might make honorable mention all conference - maybe. And he's by far the best player on the team. Do you watch the games? Do you see us get our shots rejected when we go inside? We look like a junior high team playing a high school team. We get lots of open looks from 3 and nobody can make them. No offense to the kids. They just can't shoot. Lastly, you said they look like they don't give a damn. That's the smear. They are playing as hard as they can. The effort is 100 percent. Should Thompson be better than he is? Yes. I have no doubt he would be better playing for Tad Boyle in Boulder. But there's precious little talent on this team.
User avatar
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4663
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm

bladerunnr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:09 am
bladerunnr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am
The fanbase in Wyoming is fanatical. it's rabid. But I don't think the fan base wants to traverse the state to care more about the game at hand than the brown and gold team playing in it. Whether that is perception or reality, I dont know, but this team looks like they don't give a damn about basketball. They don't look coached, they don't look engaged and they rarely play as a team. This, way more than the losing, is why I gave up my tickets this season. I am not going to pay that $$$ to feel more invested in the games than the team.

If Burman can hire a coach who COACHES and can bring this team together to start playing competitive basketball, the fans will return. But not until then.
That's a smear on the players that's really unjustified. I've seen this team play and they play hard. Why can't posters on this board ever accept the fact that we don't have the talent? There were posters who thought TVW was going to end up at csewe or another D1 program. Let me clue you in: Other than Maldanoado, there's not a player on our team who would see the floor on most of the teams in this conference.
John Wooden himself couldn't do anything with this group. So stop claiming they just need coached up. It just ignores reality.
- Jake Hendricks set the school record for 3s made at his last school with 191. That takes talent.
- Banks shot 50% from the field and over 40% from 3 at his previous school before coming to Wyoming. He was also recruited by Utah State. Requires talent.
- Kenny Foster was a Gatorade Player of the Year. Talent.
- TJ Taylor shot 46% from the field and 40% from 3 at his last school. Also recruited by Utah State. Talent.
- Thompson was a 4 star recruit. Played at the Top 100 camp in high school. Received multiple offers from good basketball schools like CU and Creighton. This doesnt happen if you're not talented.
- Morman. Talented
- Maldonado is the best player by far. A very good college basketball player.

No, I am not trying to imply the team is constructed to win the league and make a run in the tournament but they are far better than 5-13. The talent is there to be closer to .500. Despite how inept this coaching staff is, it cannot all be laid on their shoulders. At some point, the players have to execute. All you Vigen fluffers cannot wait to throw the players under the bus for "nOt ExCuTiNg tHiS iNcReDiBly DiFfIcUlT oFfEnSe" under terrible coaching but then when the basketball players are expected to rise to their talent level inspite of their terrible coaches it's a smear? Cmon man, I am not smearing them. They are a better team than they show.
Hendricks and Banks prior schools were JC's. Nearly meaningless. TJ Taylor might make 40 percent of his layups. Thompson is a big man who plays like someone 6 inches shorter. Hendricks misses one wide open look after another. Don't know where Foster was a player of the year - was it somewhere like Alberta Canada? He might be a decent role player someday but to say he's talented - compared to what? He doesn't have any size and he can't shoot or defend. The fact is, we have no post players and no size. We got outrebounded by 20 saturday. Maldanaodo might make honorable mention all conference - maybe. And he's by far the best player on the team. Do you watch the games? Do you see us get our shots rejected when we go inside? We look like a junior high team playing a high school team. We get lots of open looks from 3 and nobody can make them. No offense to the kids. They just can't shoot. Lastly, you said they look like they don't give a damn. That's the smear. They are playing as hard as they can. The effort is 100 percent. Should Thompson be better than he is? Yes. I have no doubt he would be better playing for Tad Boyle in Boulder. But there's precious little talent on this team.
Now who is smearing the players.....

The ability to hit a three pointer, consistently, is learned in High School (maybe younger). The stroke doesn't change. Not sure how playing at a Juco somehow negates his accomplishment but ok.

Kenny Foster was the COLORADO player of the year. He was a 3 star recruit. He was offered by CU as well.

So Hunter Thompson was a high flyer in high school and once he committed here he became a dud? Creighton and CU must not know how to evaluate talent either then.....

Being out rebounded by 20-30 a game is more about scheme than it is about talent. If we changed philosophy from abandon rebounds to get rebounds I'd venture a guess that we'd double our output game 1.

If you admit with different coaches these players would be playing better, you are admitting the talent isnt the issue as much as it is coaching. Thats the problem. Again, I am not saying this team has the talent to make noise nationally, but half a coach has this team respectable.

All the issues you mention are COACHING related. Have no size... Recruiting. Dont rebound.... Scheme. Players aren't developing.... Development. Bring in a staff who can address these issues, and we will be markedly better next season.
Image
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7156
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

I feel that we've got the talent to be a .500 team in conference and out of conference this year. The players are being put in positions to not succeed.
DVDA
Cowpoke
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm
Location: Laramie, WY

Any development these kids have had since joining UW has been 100% by themselves. They are not being coached or developed at all by this staff.

Get a coach who knows his Sh#t and is respected by these kids and watch them go from being the bums bladerunnr is calling them to quality basketball players. We really don't know what these kids are capable of because this entire staff is a joke. A good coach will put them in a position to reach their potential.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

I will be surprised if Maldonado stays in Laramie after this year is up. I think he will transfer, and Thompson will as well. Whomever is the new coach will have to do one hell of a sales job to get kids to stick around. Seriously, would you play to a packed house of 500 people on their phones. Me neither.

I'm of the opinion that these kids are probably better than what they have shown on the court. I wouldn't play for Edwards because he is a bonafide prick who does nothing but scream his head off. He's a poor man's Bobby Knight except he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. If I was on the BOT, I would pass the message to Tommy boy that if he didn't hit this hire out of the park, he will be selling Wyoming gear at the Brown and Gold. It's time for some accountability for this Sh#t show. The problems with this program start at the top.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

CowboyNV wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm
I will be surprised if Maldonado stays in Laramie after this year is up. I think he will transfer, and Thompson will as well. Whomever is the new coach will have to do one hell of a sales job to get kids to stick around. Seriously, would you play to a packed house of 500 people on their phones. Me neither.

I'm of the opinion that these kids are probably better than what they have shown on the court. I wouldn't play for Edwards because he is a bonafide prick who does nothing but scream his head off. He's a poor man's Bobby Knight except he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. If I was on the BOT, I would pass the message to Tommy boy that if he didn't hit this hire out of the park, he will be selling Wyoming gear at the Brown and Gold. It's time for some accountability for this Sh#t show. The problems with this program start at the top.
That sure is a hot take...Maldonado with only 1 year left is gonna leave, and Thompson, who wouldn't get much interest, is going to leave... interesting.
Image
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm
CowboyNV wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm
I will be surprised if Maldonado stays in Laramie after this year is up. I think he will transfer, and Thompson will as well. Whomever is the new coach will have to do one hell of a sales job to get kids to stick around. Seriously, would you play to a packed house of 500 people on their phones. Me neither.

I'm of the opinion that these kids are probably better than what they have shown on the court. I wouldn't play for Edwards because he is a bonafide prick who does nothing but scream his head off. He's a poor man's Bobby Knight except he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. If I was on the BOT, I would pass the message to Tommy boy that if he didn't hit this hire out of the park, he will be selling Wyoming gear at the Brown and Gold. It's time for some accountability for this Sh#t show. The problems with this program start at the top.
That sure is a hot take...Maldonado with only 1 year left is gonna leave, and Thompson, who wouldn't get much interest, is going to leave... interesting.
Hey, I could be totally out to lunch, and hope they all stick around. I see a lot of teams with transfers who have one year left that headed to a program that at least would sniff the NCAA's. Wyoming is a long long way from being in the NCAA's no matter whom the coach is.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4778
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

CowboyNV wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm
....If I was on the BOT, I would pass the message to Tommy boy that if he didn't hit this hire out of the park, he will be selling Wyoming gear at the Brown and Gold. It's time for some accountability for this Sh#t show. The problems with this program start at the top.
Don't think you're alone with this opinion. There are many fans who share this sentiment. I'm as hardcore hoops as they come and I'm furious with what has happened to Cowboy fan support during Burman's watch. The Fieldhouse and AA used to be a viper pit for opposing WAC/MWC teams. "The Dome of Doom" is a distant memory, sadly.

Let's compare apples to apples: Since Tommy Burman assumed the AD position in Laramie, his three men's hoops hires have put together an overall conference record of 77 wins and 131 losses, to date. That's a scintillating 37.0% overall winning percentage -- which will most likely be even worse by this season's end.

Wyoming fans deserve better than this sheeet.
Post Reply