The Great Debate Begins: Williams or Chambers?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm If Williams does start, then we NEED to find a way to keep Chambers on the field and in a leadership role.
Tight end
Tight end would be an extreme waste of Sean's talents. He's not a blocker, so he wouldn't be on the field a lot, and best case scenario he would only touch the ball 5-6 times a game. He's an athletic runner, maybe not the best passer, but he's a playmaker. I think it would be nice to see some formation with both Williams and Chambers in the backfield. Could even run a shotgun with Valladay, Williams and Chambers all in a row (shotgun split-back), good luck to the defense trying to figure out where the ball is going there.
Perfect time for a team to bust out the offense I have been designing in my head. The double RPO. You know how in the RPO the QB chooses to hand off the ball to the RB and if he keeps it the WR on his side of the field run patterns and the QB has the choice to pass the ball or run the ball. Run that with Chambers and Williams and have receivers on both sides run pass patterns and if the ball is handed off or kept they will have the option to pass or run.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:06 pm This is no debate. Williams is by far the better all around QB.

He can throw the ball.

And for those of you saying Georgia State defense was bad, well so was Texas State who was almost as bad as Georgia St. Chambers only threw for 103 yards against them and no touchdowns.

Idaho an FCS team, Chambers only threw for 50 yards and no TD’s.

There is no debate. Chambers can take his roll as a backup or move to a different position.
There is a debate. Chambers is a team captain who won 10 games in 12 starts as a freshman and accounted for over 20 total touchdowns. How many big plays did our receivers make for Chambers? Eberhardt's play was the biggest we have had from a receiver all season. After 13 games that's saying something. Rocket Jr got open on a deep route (was missed), something we have been waiting for for 2 whole seasons. Williams has attempted a whole 39 passes in his career and completed 19, a % actually worse than Chambers. As I said above I think they will both see the field, but let's not act like there isn't a conversation here.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am Run that with Chambers and Williams and have receivers on both sides run pass patterns and if the ball is handed off or kept they will have the option to pass or run.
Good thought. But way, way to complicated for Vigen to imagine and plan.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 am
TSpoke wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am Run that with Chambers and Williams and have receivers on both sides run pass patterns and if the ball is handed off or kept they will have the option to pass or run.
Good thought. But way, way to complicated for Vigen to imagine and plan.
The way i understand the effectiveness of running QB's in college football is that you end up with an extra blocker...does'nt this sort of negate that..(i'm trying to picture it).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I almost started a thread about how our O should actually mimic the Ravens offense. Ravens run a lot and use their QB in that run game, BUT Jackson completes a decent percent of his throws. Jackson usually only throws like 20-24 passes a game. However, of those throws, he completes 16 or so for 3 or more touchdowns. I can see our offense killing it like the ravens do if Sean can get those passes completed regularly. If not, we have to go to Williams and try the 2016 offense.
W-Y, Until I Die!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I hate to say this, but at this point I think we do the qb committee program. I don't really like the idea, but both qbs have to improve their skill sets for me to pick one over the other. When both are healthy, they provide such different challenges for a defense. Having to prepare for both qbs next year would be a pain in the ass. I give a slight advantage to Levi right next now because I believe our running game looks to be dominant next year with just the rbs and line play. However, if one guy can improve significantly, then yes name a concrete starter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

WyoExpat wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:58 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am Fun game and give Vigen some credit. Decent gameplan.

Ga St d is marginal at best so would like to see Williams against a better D. Still, I thought he looked good throwing the ball and looks to be best passer by far.

Maybe a Drew B an T Hill arrangement going forward. I'm not sure if Vigen is as creative S Peyton, lol, but Williams/Chambers on the field at same time could be a dangerous combo.
The Air Force game was a good opportunity to evaluate what Williams could do. We didn't win, but did he look out of his depth?
I think we would have beaten AF with Chambers. Levi looked out of his element a bit.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Sean is 10-3 or 11-3 as a starter. I just think we got to go with Sean. Sean better learn how to pass it more efficiently
Last edited by LanderPoke on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:06 pm This is no debate. Williams is by far the better all around QB.

He can throw the ball.

And for those of you saying Georgia State defense was bad, well so was Texas State who was almost as bad as Georgia St. Chambers only threw for 103 yards against them and no touchdowns.

There is no debate. Chambers can take his roll as a backup or move to a different position.
There is a debate. Chambers is a team captain who won 10 games in 12 starts as a freshman and accounted for over 20 total touchdowns. How many big plays did our receivers make for Chambers? Eberhardt's play was the biggest we have had from a receiver all season. After 13 games that's saying something. Rocket Jr got open on a deep route (was missed), something we have been waiting for for 2 whole seasons. Williams has attempted a whole 39 passes in his career and completed 19, a % actually worse than Chambers. As I said above I think they will both see the field, but let's not act like there isn't a conversation here.

You can have your opinion. I agree Sean is a good leader but I disagree that there is a conversation. A QB needs to be able to pass the ball unless you are Air Force, Army, Navy pretty much. If you have a QB that can’t pass very well in the offense we run then we might as well switch to the triple option. I think Chambers is a good athlete but Williams is the better passing QB and he isn’t that bad of a runner. Williams needs to start. They can use Chambers in other ways.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Bone wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 am What has he done to lose his job?
Nearly non-existent pass game.
Just stop. Chamber's is a 10-2 starter. And, while I like Williams...a lot, I still think Chambers is the guy. As the season progessed, so did Chamber's passing. Prior to his injury, he was throwing the ball well. He was 6 of 9 for 160 and 2 TD's. And, had been completing over 50% of his passes leading up to the injury. Early in the year he was throwing the ball way too hard....his passing stats improved when he started throwing will less velocity.

Bottom line the future looks great at the QB position.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

JimmyDimes wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 am
Just stop. Chamber's is a 10-2 starter. And, while I like Williams...a lot, I still think Chambers is the guy. As the season progessed, so did Chamber's passing. Prior to his injury, he was throwing the ball well. He was 6 of 9 for 160 and 2 TD's. And, had been completing over 50% of his passes leading up to the injury. Early in the year he was throwing the ball way too hard....his passing stats improved when he started throwing will less velocity.

Bottom line the future looks great at the QB position.
We also struggled against teams like Texas State and Idaho. If you throw a ball so hard that no one can catch it, it leaves the whole offense one dimensional. We're so lucky to have an improved o-line and a decent defense this year. Our offense's production has been pretty poor under Chambers. Most of the games were barely won.

The stat that stands out to me most for the bowl game is 3 TDs thrown. The last guy to do that at UW was Allen. That speaks volumes on the status of our passing game over the last two years.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

The bright side is, and I don't mean this snide, that no matter who is under center or calling plays, the offense can't get much if any worse.

If the defense performed to the offense's level the past 2 years, our record would be miserable. I like Chambers but I give the D more credit for the past 2 years' records than anyone on offense.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Just read that Sean won’t be available for Spring Camp. I agree Sean has the upper hand but Levi getting all Spring reps will be great for his development. The gap will narrow if he’s able to make progress. If he shines, it’s possible he could displace Sean. I like both and it’s a shame there’s only one starter.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think it'll depend a lot on how they progress over the off-season. No matter who wins out, I hope they can approach 65% of passes completed rather than hovering between 45 and 50%. Somebody needs to help both of them improve in that area.

Also really hope we stop with those 30 yard throws to the sideline that only net 2 yards when actually caught. Not only are they not successful very often since they're actually long throws, but they also don't go for first downs unless the receiver pulls two defenders for 5+ yards after catching the ball. I was happy in the bowl game that there were only two or three such passes. Most of the shorter passes did not have to travel very far through the air.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:36 pm I think it'll depend a lot on how they progress over the off-season. No matter who wins out, I hope they can approach 65% of passes completed rather than hovering between 45 and 50%. Somebody needs to help both of them improve in that area.

Also really hope we stop with those 30 yard throws to the sideline that only net 2 yards when actually caught. Not only are they not successful very often since they're actually long throws, but they also don't go for first downs unless the receiver pulls two defenders for 5+ yards after catching the ball. I was happy in the bowl game that there were only two or three such passes. Most of the shorter passes did not have to travel very far through the air.
Yeah, a lot of questions going into next season for the passing game. Chambers was starting to look better before he got hurt, while Williams we really only have his 1st game of throwing the ball around to go by.

Chambers is a good option QB, deadly runner and not afraid to smash into defenders. Williams is more balanced, but still a good runner, but looks to have more control overall on his passes in comparison.

But we do need some WRs and TEs to step up next season. We've had some pretty highly ranked guys in that area, but we need to see them perform.

At least we don't need to worry about RB for a few years. Valladay finished with over 1000 yards on the season, and became a reliable pass catcher later on too. And our other RBs, should they stay healthy, look very promising as well.
IowaCowboy
Buckaroo

+10000

I love Chambers. He has potential to be so so so good. But he throws the football 120mph every time....no matter what the pass is. He needs to work on one thing and one thing only. Touch. If he finds that i think he has NFL potential.

It's a tough....but good problem to have. I love Levi's Moxy. Regardless. Pumped about our cowboys and the direction we are going. Best recruiting class EVER at wyoming coming in. Buckle up boys and girls.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

When I was in graduate school at Kansas, the team didn't have a QB, so the coach chose the best player to mold into a QB. That player, a former RB, spent hours on the field throwing the ball at a swinging tire suspended from the goal. He got to be a very good passing QB. His name: John Hadl who ended up as the QB for the San Diego Chargers.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Watching the Bills and some of the Titans this season makes me think that is what Vigen is trying to emulate. I'd argue both those teams suffer losses because of anemic offenses but they do win games because the offenses pull off a few critical 3rd downs in key spots in the game.

I think that's where the passing game is hurting the most. Even if the O doesn't light up the scoreboard, it has to convert more of those critical 3rd downs on key drives.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 am
Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am

He can throw the ball.

You can have your opinion. I agree Sean is a good leader but I disagree that there is a conversation. A QB needs to be able to pass the ball unless you are Air Force, Army, Navy pretty much. If you have a QB that can’t pass very well in the offense we run then we might as well switch to the triple option. I think Chambers is a good athlete but Williams is the better passing QB and he isn’t that bad of a runner. Williams needs to start. They can use Chambers in other ways.
I have to agree with this. Nobody takes the passing game seriously with Chambers in. However, they do take him pretty damned seriously in the running game. Its amazing how well this works.

I like the balance Levi can provide - but he is still pretty green. He will be one hell of a QB to stop very soon. I was pretty impressed with his bowl game performance. And I think he needed that. He didn't get thrown out to the wolves. He's got the win and the confidence under his belt now.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm The bright side is, and I don't mean this snide, that no matter who is under center or calling plays, the offense can't get much if any worse.

If the defense performed to the offense's level the past 2 years, our record would be miserable. I like Chambers but I give the D more credit for the past 2 years' records than anyone on offense.

Go back to the first half of Bohl & Co's tenure here, and it was just opposite. Defense sucked, offense moved the ball.

I think we are capable of doing both. Losing Hill in 2015 hurt like hell.