Vigen has to go

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

brownngold wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:41 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 am
307bball wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:31 am Here what i'm pretty certain of...The instant that Craig Bohl feels like he can get better results with a different system or different personnel he will make that change. There is no way that anybody on that staff is saying "Boy, we would be amazing if we had a different system/playcalls/OC, but because we value loyalty and old-school football we won't change". They are certain that what they are teaching/coaching gives the Wyoming football team the best chance that it has to win...and frankly as a fan I want the leaders at Wyoming to have that attitude...especially in the middle of the season. The personal attacks on Bohl/Vigen leave a bad taste in my mouth...
This brings up an interesting conundrum then. As we have seen in the past, when Bohl does see issues, he fixes them. Stanard is the best example I can think of. SO, based on what we've seen with Bohl's behavior and the fact that in his time here, Bohl's offenses have abysmal, to be kind, it leaves only two rational conclusions for me to gravitate towards. Either this above statement is true, and Bohl doesn't think the system is broken/needs addressed/etc. OR this isn't true and Bohl IS valuing his relationship with Vigen over results on the field. Both are unacceptable if we truly believe we are on an upward trajectory towards program relevance and sustainability.

Which would we rather have?
OR Bohl knows the O needs work but doesn't believe Vigen is the problem. Perhaps Bohl views something else as the problem and it can't be addressed until the offseason.
I too think Vigen is in over his head, but I give Bohl the benefit of the doubt. If he thinks it's something else, let's see what he does to fix it.
This will be his 6th offseason to address it.... Whats different this season from his first? I sure hope Bohl has finally seen enough...
What went wrong today?
The offense still sucks. We only passed for 81 yards. Glad we won though. All because of the defense. Defense held CSU to their lowest total of the year.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

brownngold wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm What went wrong today?
Time ran out before Vigen could give it away
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 pm
While the offensive output wasnt high give the staff credit for thinking outside the box and going with a 2 QB system. Williams has it! I said the same thing about Chambers after the USU game last year. We will have 2 good and very athletic QBs for this old Nebraska offense.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 pm
Offense wasn't pretty as per usual but I'll have to disagree with you here...

That last drive was headed towards the end zone before the clock reached :00.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

What went wrong? Nothing, as long as we set the bar at beating bad teams in close fashion. That game was far from a blowout or a dominant win, despite the fact that we kept the Rams to 7 pts. One or two plays go different and we're looking at another nailbiter.

Happy with the win, obviously. Really happy with the dominant defensive performance and stupid play calling by the Rams trying to run the ball against us as much as they did, and giving us a short field on the one TD drive.

But please don't act like scoring 17 pts against a 4 win team means all is well in PokeLand. 17 pts, or even 21 or 24 just ain't gonna get it done against the best of the MW, as we've seen against the better teams weve faced.

Not trying to be negative, I really enjoyed this win. Especially the defensive play. But if we're gonna get to where we want to be the offense still must get better than this. We should expect that of Bohl. Hes the one that made promises about Conference Championships and asked the state to invest 10s of millions of dollars into our programs and all that. I, for one, expect the promised results from the guy, at least once.

I don't think we can realistically expect the defense to get much better than it is right now aside from defending the pass. But the offense still has lots of room for improvement if the program and fans choose not to accept the current status quo as sufficient.

On to next week, where I think well challenge the Falcons with our stout run D. I expect another low scoring close game. I think this one comes down to the offense, as we may well need to score more than 20 points (gasp!) to win this one.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

Last night, Vigen made some really smart adjustments. You could see the calls were different based on which QB was in the game, and they were pretty effective.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Dial down the damn HB dive calls!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am Dial down the damn HB dive calls!
Our most explosive plays all year long have also been HB dives only takes one small seam with a loaded box to make the entire defense start questioning their gap assignments.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

If we want to win to start competing for the conference, and possibly a NY6 game some year, our offense is going to need to change. All of our losses this year are due to our offense not being effective. I know guys like Bohl and he's a fit here or whatever but he has failed to recruit players and or have a coaching staff that can be effective. What is the next level? If you have your answer then what will Bohl do to get there?
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

poke_addict wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am Dial down the damn HB dive calls!
Our most explosive plays all year long have also been HB dives only takes one small seam with a loaded box to make the entire defense start questioning their gap assignments.
And how many 3 and outs have we had because we ran 2 or 3 HB dives in a row?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:12 pm If we want to win to start competing for the conference, and possibly a NY6 game some year, our offense is going to need to change. All of our losses this year are due to our offense not being effective. I know guys like Bohl and he's a fit here or whatever but he has failed to recruit players and or have a coaching staff that can be effective. What is the next level? If you have your answer then what will Bohl do to get there?
This. There are too many people around here who call themselves fans and insist they want to see us competitive with the likes of Boise State, who are more than happy to avoid the hard work necessary for the next level because it could mean risking a confrontation with him. This is the very essence of "good enough " that pervades UW Athletics and the State in general.
No one person is bigger than the program.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The problem with an almost-exclusively-run-offence is that you better not get very far behind in a game. Because then you have to pass to catch up. Luckily this years stout defense made this not a problem. I think next year the defense won't be as stout.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I really don’t see the different in winning 34-24 or 17-7. I know it’d make you wankers happy, but there’s zero difference.
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:19 pm I really don’t see the different in winning 34-24 or 17-7. I know it’d make you wankers happy, but there’s zero difference.
It doesn’t make a difference if you are winning. The problem is there are 4 losses on our record that we could have won if the offense could pass the ball just average. But we suck on offense so that won’t ever happen with this coaching staff.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:50 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:19 pm I really don’t see the different in winning 34-24 or 17-7. I know it’d make you wankers happy, but there’s zero difference.
It doesn’t make a difference if you are winning. The problem is there are 4 losses on our record that we could have won if the offense could pass the ball just average. But we suck on offense so that won’t ever happen with this coaching staff.
EXACTLY!!! I want a conference championship before I die of OLD age and I'm currently 45!!!! At this rate, I honestly don't think it'll happen especially with Vigen being the OC. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Yep doesn't matter when you are winning but matters when you lose to Boise 17-20 with a bad offense, instead of beating them 27-17 with a just average offense
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

"It doesn’t make a difference if you are winning. The problem is there are 4 losses on our record that we could have won if ..." you could finish this this statement in so many ways and it would still be true. There's a huge contingent of fans that will only finish it by pointing it that we have a very low output offense. There are a lot of ways to win/lose football games. Acting like you know why a certain outcome happened is just dumb. Nobody thinks we have a great offense... But people that have a cursory understanding of football understand that our great defensive numbers are not happening in a vacuum. The offense is super conservative and rarely exposes the defense to short field situations... Anybody think that might not be an accident?

I don't think that having the offense game plan involve a more high risk high reward game plan would lead to any more wins, and could lead to more losses. Maybe I'm wrong... Tough to prove. I just know that the wrong level of analysis is to treat offensive output and gameplan as unrelated to defensive success.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think we can all agree on one thing regardless of the game plan. Running it up the middle on first and second and then always throwing it on third is not "low risk," because everybody knows that throw is coming.

Lately we've strayed from that, however, and I'm way happier about the game plan overall. The problem is that since apparently Chambers and TVW haven't received any coaching when it comes to throwing the ball, they complete like 30-40 percent of their passes at times. Levi seems to at least throw the ball TO the receivers, so that's a pretty big upgrade. We'll see in which direction his throwing develops.

We have sure-handed receivers, especially our Tight Ends, and if Levi can continue to throw with accuracy, we should be able to utilize that somewhat. I don't think anybody's looking for an air raid style of offense. Just the occasional play action, slants, and screens that actually go on target. The easy throws that may just go for 5-10 yards, but prevent the defense from stacking the box. Marcotte's going to be like 270 lbs by the time he's a Senior - he's already running people over when he's got the ball in his hands. A vast majority of the time, he's a blocker, but man, nobody will be able to afford dismissing him as just another blocker if we start using him as a threat more. Stick a corner on him and see what happens when he just bowls them over down the sideline.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 am Last night, Vigen made some really smart adjustments. You could see the calls were different based on which QB was in the game, and they were pretty effective.
Some nice runs off tackle....nice change of pace

Now what else would you like me to get vigen to do?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:13 am I think we can all agree on one thing regardless of the game plan. Running it up the middle on first and second and then always throwing it on third is not "low risk," because everybody knows that throw is coming.

Lately we've strayed from that, however, and I'm way happier about the game plan overall. The problem is that since apparently Chambers and TVW haven't received any coaching when it comes to throwing the ball, they complete like 30-40 percent of their passes at times. Levi seems to at least throw the ball TO the receivers, so that's a pretty big upgrade. We'll see in which direction his throwing develops.

We have sure-handed receivers, especially our Tight Ends, and if Levi can continue to throw with accuracy, we should be able to utilize that somewhat. I don't think anybody's looking for an air raid style of offense. Just the occasional play action, slants, and screens that actually go on target. The easy throws that may just go for 5-10 yards, but prevent the defense from stacking the box. Marcotte's going to be like 270 lbs by the time he's a Senior - he's already running people over when he's got the ball in his hands. A vast majority of the time, he's a blocker, but man, nobody will be able to afford dismissing him as just another blocker if we start using him as a threat more. Stick a corner on him and see what happens when he just bowls them over down the sideline.
We can’t agree. We run a low risk offense plain and simple and that is evidenced by the lack of turnovers. (Other than TVW throwing up the ball this team does not turn it over)

Additionally making the conclusion that because TVW and Chambers have low completion percentages must mean they don’t get coaching is silly and lacking in logic. First off, we don’t run a west coast offense and the typical route tree is relatively low percentage to begin with. Additionally, some QBs can get all the coaching in the world and they will never be all that accurate (see Tim Tebow). That said, Chambers makes up his lack of accuracy with his athleticism...same as Tebow.