Boise game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:22 pm The defense gets blame too in my book. No moral victories. We needed a stop up by 7 and they didn't get it done. Same story in the 3 losses. They couldn't finish.
You sound like a Bohl postgame presser.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I would have liked to have seen a little more creativity, hell maybe just variety, on a lot of those 3rd downs. I’d be less disappointed in failing to get a first down on a pass from time to time instead of being stuffed in the middle of the line.
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We had far too few RPOs. TVW executed them pretty well when called, but nope. Its not a run up the middle, so its not implemented more.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm
You are so focused on some sort of holistic evaluation of the game that you're ignoring the obvious and throwing up straw men. No one is wishing we had a "...top 5..." offense. If we had a top 75 offense, we'd possibly be undefeated right now. Vigen creates a ceiling for the program. Our defense did their jobs. They got a bit gassed in the second half because the OFFENSE COULDN'T STAY ON THE F-CKING FIELD! The defense delivered and held Boise's vaunted offense to 17 regulation points. Smart effort from the sidelines and solid effort on the field contributed to that. The offense, player-wise, did a damn good job with what they were given. This team is the obverse of the old Paul Roach teams when Del Wight was the DC. Wight thought he was doing a damn fine job if he held the other team under 35 points, because the offense was there to bail him out. That is exactly how the defensive side of our program seems to be viewed by Vigen. His whole philosophy seems to be, if we don't turn the ball over and grind out the clock, the defense will bail us out.

You can claim a good offensive game was called until the cows come home- the fact is, when it counts, when it's possibly a pivotal moment for the program, such as a victory on a field we are winless on in seven attempts, Vigen made highly questionable calls, repeating a pattern that has been evident for six years now. He is CFB's version of Marty Schottenheimer- overall, a decent body of work, but never able to deliver on the big orders. If anything, it's his boss's attitude towards toughness on defense has been the biggest contributing factor to Vigen's "success".

Adjusting expectations and lowering the threshold for success because of the perception of over-achieving against a program we never should have been second-tier to is exactly what infects Wyoming's fan base and allows those who should be held accountable to continue apace without any sense of possible repercussion. We have the highest paid football coaching staff in the MWC. They'd better deliver as such. Last night was a glaring opportunity to deliver on their pay grade. The game was theirs to lose, and sure enough, one side of them managed to do it.
1st...my apologies for trying to inject a measured viewpoint that attempts to consider something approximating the whole picture. It is a fact that with a backup qb and no depth at running back, and no gamebreaking talent at WR the pokes almost stunned them. Vegas is right way more than they are wrong ... we were 16 point dogs!

2nd ... this is getting back to what reasonable people consider success at Wyoming. The Roach/Tiller heydey was a freaking generation+ ago. I am only aware of those years through some very early memories and blurry youtube videos. My adult perception of this program started w/Dimel and it proceeded to suck from there. Is it ok for me to be really happy for where this program is at?? Is it a crazy stretch to say, at this point, that this is the most success Wyoming has had since before 2000??

3rd...And I quote: "Adjusting expectations and lowering the threshold for success because of the perception of over-achieving against a program we never should have been second-tier.... " ... guess who else doesn't beat BSU....EVERYBODY....especially on the smurf turf...I think they have 7 losses there in 20 years. I don't really care who we shouldn't be second tier to...the fact of the matter is the whole conference is second tier to them....it even shows in how the revenue is distributed. You don't climb a mountain without being on the sidehill at some point. Wyoming is on that sidehill. I would love it to be faster but i'm not going to look at yesterdays result and equate it with abject failure. That is how you get program instability.

4th...At least pretend to respond to the content of what i'm trying to inject into this conversation. I WANT A BETTER OFFENSE. Is that clear enough for you?? Look at my previous posts. I never made claims that this staff the best thing since sliced bread. If you look, you'll even find me saying that I don't think that Bohl will get us to where we ultimately want to be. I hope to be wrong there...The point remains I fundamentally agree that the Offense is really not good....I just think that has at least some to do with a QB that is not a great passer (TVW>SC when it comes to passing though), and WR corps that is average at best.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm Yeah I think that the defense gets some blame. We needed a stop and they didn't get it done when it mattered and Boise State tied the game. They also got shredded early. Our offense didn't score enough points and our defense gave up too many. Moral victories are for losers. Our entire team didn't win a game we should have. In 3 losses this year, our defense played decent most of the game but folded when we needed a stop.
Didn't you get the memo?...the only reason wyoming loses is because of playcalling. Remember, even if Wyoming's defense gets a stop...Vigen will call for a pick-6 to lose the game. :whistle:

Sarcasm aside...your comment about the "entire team" is right on.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:22 pm The defense gets blame too in my book. No moral victories. We needed a stop up by 7 and they didn't get it done. Same story in the 3 losses. They couldn't finish.
Boise had 7 possessions in the second half of the game and only scored 10 points, and on both those drives, they had decent field position. Boise also had ONE sustained drive in the entire first half, and after that, they had a total of 28 yards.

In other words, the defense got 5 stops when needed, plus holding Boise to a field goal in OT. Expecting the defense to pitch a shutout against the top team in our division on the road is not just over the top. It's absurd.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Boise had 7 possessions in the second half of the game and only scored 10 points, and on both those drives, they had decent field position. Boise also had ONE sustained drive in the entire first half, and after that, they had a total of 28 yards.

In other words, the defense got 5 stops when needed, plus holding Boise to a field goal in OT. Expecting the defense to pitch a shutout against the top team in our division on the road is not just over the top. It's absurd.
Yep - defense played pretty damn good. Here is the way I look at it. To win the game in the last few minutes:
1.) defense gets a stop we win
2.) offense gets a first down - good chance we could win
3.) special teams hits a field goal, at least we are in 2OT

Anyone could have stepped up to win that. Turns out, Boise did the steppin up.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 am

Yep - defense played pretty damn good. Here is the way I look at it. To win the game in the last few minutes:

Yep, that’s it. Regarding 2) a run up the middle with Valladay not 100% was not the best play call.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Special teams and play calling on a couple plays cost us the game. The 30 yard punt that put boise at the 50 really screwed us. And I have no clue how Rothe went from hitting like 98% of all fg/pats to chocking on PATs randomly. New holder? Psyched himself out? Girlfriend broke up with him?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

HR_Poke wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 am

Special teams and play calling on a couple plays cost us the game. The 30 yard punt that put boise at the 50 really screwed us. And I have no clue how Rothe went from hitting like 98% of all fg/pats to chocking on PATs randomly. New holder? Psyched himself out? Girlfriend broke up with him?
It really is a head scratcher. The guy was money from 40 yards on in last year. Now, its more 50/50.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 am

This.

Or refs could have called holding once in their last td drive. Even my dad texted me (he’s a basketball ref and doesn’t criticize reffing too much lol) that there was lots of holding. I noticed it on the qb scrambles.

As bohl would say, they made the plays and we didn’t
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Love the toughness of Bohl's teams. If the offense gets fixed, WYO will challenge for title most years. Glad to be in this spot and hoping Bohl does what is necessary to fix the offense. There is no rational argument to claim the offense is adequate. The argument can be on what's wrong or how to fix it but not that the offense is functional.

Still, down year or not, it's nice to be closer to boise than unlv in terms of talent.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.