Boise game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
Cowpoke
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Scoreboard. Quit confusing effort with results. Vigen's had plenty of opportunities to figure this out.
If your going to cherry pick statistics at least pick the ones that support your claim...there are probably good reasons why Wyoming defense gave up that drive...offensive support not in the top 5.
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Yes. Conway didn’t field a punt resulting in a 57 yard punt. Bohl looked pissed. Then we punt and they get ball just shy of midfield. Our scoring drives also all started with good field position.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Wherever I'm At

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 am
WyomingAg wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
F vigen. Worst o coordinator in the country. Predictable through the whole game. A flea flicker on a short field, a run up the middle when you need 5 yards.

That game was very winnable with just some average play calls
Ok...time out. I won't defend his bad calls (heavens knows he has those). Worst O coordinator in the country?? At some point it just sounds like a personal vendetta. It is just not correct to pretend that any other person calling plays today comes out w/ a win.

Pokes did great against what turned out to be probably the best team we'll see this season.
Stop with the f-cking "good enough, we're only Wyoming" bulls-it. The players delivered, Vigen f-cked it up in the 4th and OT. Why on Earth you don't show patience and duplicate success when time is on your side is mind-boggling.
It's obvious that you have all the answers. Don't mistake being happy for the most success that Wyoming has seen in 20+ years with any BS "only Wyoming mindset". I'm saying step back from the ledge and at least attempt to put into perspective that any particular game (win or lose) shouldn't be used for a reason to get rid of a coach.
The answer is as plain as sunlight on snow. Vigen has a terrible track record in 5-minutes-of-life-that-count moments. They guy is all "close, but no cigar". The winning game plan was right in front of him and he switched scripts when all he had to do was stay course. EVERYONE who knows d-ck about football saw that, from the ESPN heads to Harsin to the people I'm standing next to. The guy simply finds a way to f-ck up the games that will define Bohl's tenure. Bohl sticks with him at risk of much greater things. Good enough, defined.
For the record I'm absolutely certain there are better O-coordinators out there. I'm just saying that this is not some historically talented Wyoming team. This team is winning because they make fewer mistakes and execute better than their opponent. I'm not a philosophically opposed to spread/triple option/ or whatever...i'm opposed to the undisciplined mess that this program has been mired in for the 20 years before Bohl and Company showed up. BSU is usually pretty loaded and this year is no exception. They don't lose to freaking anybody on the blue turf....and it almost happend...i'm not into moral victoryies but I'm unwilling to look at todays result and say "Failure!!"
Quit deflecting. No one is challenging the talent level of this team. The issue is we are dealing with an OC who is in Groundhog Day mode in games that really count. The guy simply finds a way to lose close games too often, and is perfect at losing the most important ones, that could put us in the hunt for a championship and a solid position at the top of the conference. I guess I just expect too much when I pine for a team that used to be in the top 3 year-and, year-out like we used to be.
Are you referring to the Mid '80s through through the Mid '90s?? Yeah...I want that too...but guess what? that was the apex of Wyoming football historically. If we got back to that I would be soooooo happy. I actually don't think Bohl is the guy to do it. If I'm being honest I think that the next coach here could do it by building on what Bohl has done.

It is not deflecting to challenge absurd notions like "this team would be undefeated if....." I could say the same thing about our defense giving up leads in the fourth quarter (and I have) but it is absolutely true that there is not ONE single thing that is giving these games away. I don't think that Vigen "lost" this game...I don't think the defense "lost" this game. Wyoming obviously had a great game plan and just about upset a team that has lost like 4 home games in what ... 10 years?

If Wyoming can keep playing sound football these close losses will turn into wins...
Guy, you can "think" what you want. There are people who "think" the world is flat and we never landed on the Moon. Real thought is supported by facts and evidence, both if which, in the case of Brent Vigen , would suggest he isn't really qualified for his job.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Winka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
User avatar
phxpoke
Cowpoke
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: The Valley of The Sun

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Scoreboard. Quit confusing effort with results. Vigen's had plenty of opportunities to figure this out.
If your going to cherry pick statistics at least pick the ones that support your claim...there are probably good reasons why Wyoming defense gave up that drive...offensive support not in the top 5.
307, how do you defend the statistics that show us at the bottom of college football every year on offense under Vigen?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Wherever I'm At

laxwyo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Yes. Conway didn’t field a punt resulting in a 57 yard punt. Bohl looked pissed. Then we punt and they get ball just shy of midfield. Our scoring drives also all started with good field position.
Bohl made it pretty clear he wasn't at all interested in Conway's excuses.
He pretty much waved him away. Probably the most disappointing player Bohl went to bat for.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Winka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
Cowpoke
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

phxpoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Scoreboard. Quit confusing effort with results. Vigen's had plenty of opportunities to figure this out.
If your going to cherry pick statistics at least pick the ones that support your claim...there are probably good reasons why Wyoming defense gave up that drive...offensive support not in the top 5.
307, how do you defend the statistics that show us at the bottom of college football every year on offense under Vigen?
I hate getting painted as the "defend Vigen" guy...I'm just the "pump the brakes on the undefeated if not for Vigen" talk guy.

Read my comments...I could care less if he stays or goes....This game was not lost solely because of our offensive coordinator. In a game this close ... every mistake could have been the reason the game was lost.

As far as being in the bottom of CFB in offensive stats....nobody wants that....but I'm not going to confuse high octane offensive prowess with sustained college football success. Heck Chistiansen had some really high scoring and high yardage teams that sucked balls. I wan't wins...and right now we are 6-3. The Tulsa one is the game that sticks in my craw...And the SDSU game to a lesser extent. I really thought BSU would boat race us tonight. Kudos to the staff for putting the boys in a position to pull of a major upset....sucks that they (the WHOLE team) didn't get it done.
307bball
Cowpoke
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 am
laxwyo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Yes. Conway didn’t field a punt resulting in a 57 yard punt. Bohl looked pissed. Then we punt and they get ball just shy of midfield. Our scoring drives also all started with good field position.
Bohl made it pretty clear he wasn't at all interested in Conway's excuses.
He pretty much waved him away. Probably the most disappointing player Bohl went to bat for.
Yup...field position was pretty crucial.
307bball
Cowpoke
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 am
WyomingAg wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
F vigen. Worst o coordinator in the country. Predictable through the whole game. A flea flicker on a short field, a run up the middle when you need 5 yards.

That game was very winnable with just some average play calls
Ok...time out. I won't defend his bad calls (heavens knows he has those). Worst O coordinator in the country?? At some point it just sounds like a personal vendetta. It is just not correct to pretend that any other person calling plays today comes out w/ a win.

Pokes did great against what turned out to be probably the best team we'll see this season.
Stop with the f-cking "good enough, we're only Wyoming" bulls-it. The players delivered, Vigen f-cked it up in the 4th and OT. Why on Earth you don't show patience and duplicate success when time is on your side is mind-boggling.
It's obvious that you have all the answers. Don't mistake being happy for the most success that Wyoming has seen in 20+ years with any BS "only Wyoming mindset". I'm saying step back from the ledge and at least attempt to put into perspective that any particular game (win or lose) shouldn't be used for a reason to get rid of a coach.
The answer is as plain as sunlight on snow. Vigen has a terrible track record in 5-minutes-of-life-that-count moments. They guy is all "close, but no cigar". The winning game plan was right in front of him and he switched scripts when all he had to do was stay course. EVERYONE who knows d-ck about football saw that, from the ESPN heads to Harsin to the people I'm standing next to. The guy simply finds a way to f-ck up the games that will define Bohl's tenure. Bohl sticks with him at risk of much greater things. Good enough, defined.
For the record I'm absolutely certain there are better O-coordinators out there. I'm just saying that this is not some historically talented Wyoming team. This team is winning because they make fewer mistakes and execute better than their opponent. I'm not a philosophically opposed to spread/triple option/ or whatever...i'm opposed to the undisciplined mess that this program has been mired in for the 20 years before Bohl and Company showed up. BSU is usually pretty loaded and this year is no exception. They don't lose to freaking anybody on the blue turf....and it almost happend...i'm not into moral victoryies but I'm unwilling to look at todays result and say "Failure!!"
Quit deflecting. No one is challenging the talent level of this team. The issue is we are dealing with an OC who is in Groundhog Day mode in games that really count. The guy simply finds a way to lose close games too often, and is perfect at losing the most important ones, that could put us in the hunt for a championship and a solid position at the top of the conference. I guess I just expect too much when I pine for a team that used to be in the top 3 year-and, year-out like we used to be.
Are you referring to the Mid '80s through through the Mid '90s?? Yeah...I want that too...but guess what? that was the apex of Wyoming football historically. If we got back to that I would be soooooo happy. I actually don't think Bohl is the guy to do it. If I'm being honest I think that the next coach here could do it by building on what Bohl has done.

It is not deflecting to challenge absurd notions like "this team would be undefeated if....." I could say the same thing about our defense giving up leads in the fourth quarter (and I have) but it is absolutely true that there is not ONE single thing that is giving these games away. I don't think that Vigen "lost" this game...I don't think the defense "lost" this game. Wyoming obviously had a great game plan and just about upset a team that has lost like 4 home games in what ... 10 years?

If Wyoming can keep playing sound football these close losses will turn into wins...
Guy, you can "think" what you want. There are people who "think" the world is flat and we never landed on the Moon. Real thought is supported by facts and evidence, both if which, in the case of Brent Vigen , would suggest he isn't really qualified for his job.
I'll take 'thinking' over gut reaction "ZOMG WE LOST A GAME NOBODY THOUGHT WE WOULD WIN >>> FIRE EVERYBODY"

There is a critique of this offensive staff out there that is reall and not based on just wishing we had a top 5 offenses.

Once again..the points about the statisticall level of Wyoming's offense are a great starting point....acting like this team is undefeated if Vigen is not the O-coordinator is just dumb. It's no different than what I've saying that if our Defense gets 4th quarter stops we would be undefeated. It's a bit of wishful thinking.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:29 am

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 am
WyomingAg wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
F vigen. Worst o coordinator in the country. Predictable through the whole game. A flea flicker on a short field, a run up the middle when you need 5 yards.

That game was very winnable with just some average play calls
Ok...time out. I won't defend his bad calls (heavens knows he has those). Worst O coordinator in the country?? At some point it just sounds like a personal vendetta. It is just not correct to pretend that any other person calling plays today comes out w/ a win.

Pokes did great against what turned out to be probably the best team we'll see this season.
Stop with the f-cking "good enough, we're only Wyoming" bulls-it. The players delivered, Vigen f-cked it up in the 4th and OT. Why on Earth you don't show patience and duplicate success when time is on your side is mind-boggling.
It's obvious that you have all the answers. Don't mistake being happy for the most success that Wyoming has seen in 20+ years with any BS "only Wyoming mindset". I'm saying step back from the ledge and at least attempt to put into perspective that any particular game (win or lose) shouldn't be used for a reason to get rid of a coach.
It's not one game, it's the fact that our offense is ranked in the bottom 10 of the nation 5 of the 6 years that vigen has been here. The one year we weren't we were barely ranked in the top half of teams on offense and it was with 5 future NFL draft picks on offense. With half the offense heading to the NFL vigen barely could have a offense that performed as good as an average college football team. Without it we are bottom team on offense event year.

How many other offensive coordinators have offenses in the bottom of fbs 5 out of 6 years? Maybe there is a couple I don't know, but regardless, yeah I put vigen up there with the worst o coordinators in the country because every year he is unable to improve. It is game after game, year after year that his offensive success based on his playcalling and coaching and player development does not improve.
User avatar
jessejames02
Ranch Hand
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 3:15 pm
Location: Kettle Falls, WA

At some point you have to justify being among the most expensive coaching staffs in the MW. Close losses don’t do it.
Go Dogies!
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6621
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Anybody blaming the defense. What drugs are you on?

Boise scored 10 in the entire second half. Did anybody seriously have expectations that we'd hold them to less than that, especially without sustaining our own drives? That's not going to happen against pretty much ANY team, let alone a 7-1 Boise on Smurf Turf.

Offense scores twice in the second half and we win it.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Laramie, Wyoming

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 am
phxpoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Scoreboard. Quit confusing effort with results. Vigen's had plenty of opportunities to figure this out.
If your going to cherry pick statistics at least pick the ones that support your claim...there are probably good reasons why Wyoming defense gave up that drive...offensive support not in the top 5.
307, how do you defend the statistics that show us at the bottom of college football every year on offense under Vigen?
I hate getting painted as the "defend Vigen" guy...I'm just the "pump the brakes on the undefeated if not for Vigen" talk guy.

Read my comments...I could care less if he stays or goes....This game was not lost solely because of our offensive coordinator. In a game this close ... every mistake could have been the reason the game was lost.

As far as being in the bottom of CFB in offensive stats....nobody wants that....but I'm not going to confuse high octane offensive prowess with sustained college football success. Heck Chistiansen had some really high scoring and high yardage teams that sucked balls. I wan't wins...and right now we are 6-3. The Tulsa one is the game that sticks in my craw...And the SDSU game to a lesser extent. I really thought BSU would boat race us tonight. Kudos to the staff for putting the boys in a position to pull of a major upset....sucks that they (the WHOLE team) didn't get it done.
I'm actually fairly excited. We have a bunch of injuries this season, some of the 2nd, 3 deep are playing, our backup quartback was in the game, and we are a defensive stop or an offensive play, or a field goal away from winning that game on the road at Boise where they are really tough.. Been a long time since we have had this kind of depth - and its young depth too.

Sucks we lost. Really sucks. But just the fact we were even close given our situation - that really has my hopes up.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7184
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

laxwyo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
nashvillepoke wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
In all three losses, our defense caved when it mattered. Roth is a head case and Vigen is the most vanilla pathetic OC ever.....no moral victory tonight....we lost another game we should have won. I hope Bohl feels the sting of this. Status Quo.
The defense is caving because of the play calling and the three and outs in the fourth quarter.
BSU went three and out 6 times...Wyoming ...4

Both teams went three and out once in the fourth. I'm pretty sure that didn't have a lot to do with allowing them to score. It was more of a special teams snafu...wasn't thier fourth quarter score from some pretty good field position?
Yes. Conway didn’t field a punt resulting in a 57 yard punt. Bohl looked pissed. Then we punt and they get ball just shy of midfield. Our scoring drives also all started with good field position.
smh. So why can't Conway catch the damn ball?? It makes me so mad, but shame on Bohl for not putting someone back there who will
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Wherever I'm At

307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:21 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 am
Wyovanian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am
307bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 am
WyomingAg wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
F vigen. Worst o coordinator in the country. Predictable through the whole game. A flea flicker on a short field, a run up the middle when you need 5 yards.

That game was very winnable with just some average play calls
Ok...time out. I won't defend his bad calls (heavens knows he has those). Worst O coordinator in the country?? At some point it just sounds like a personal vendetta. It is just not correct to pretend that any other person calling plays today comes out w/ a win.

Pokes did great against what turned out to be probably the best team we'll see this season.
Stop with the f-cking "good enough, we're only Wyoming" bulls-it. The players delivered, Vigen f-cked it up in the 4th and OT. Why on Earth you don't show patience and duplicate success when time is on your side is mind-boggling.
It's obvious that you have all the answers. Don't mistake being happy for the most success that Wyoming has seen in 20+ years with any BS "only Wyoming mindset". I'm saying step back from the ledge and at least attempt to put into perspective that any particular game (win or lose) shouldn't be used for a reason to get rid of a coach.
The answer is as plain as sunlight on snow. Vigen has a terrible track record in 5-minutes-of-life-that-count moments. They guy is all "close, but no cigar". The winning game plan was right in front of him and he switched scripts when all he had to do was stay course. EVERYONE who knows d-ck about football saw that, from the ESPN heads to Harsin to the people I'm standing next to. The guy simply finds a way to f-ck up the games that will define Bohl's tenure. Bohl sticks with him at risk of much greater things. Good enough, defined.
For the record I'm absolutely certain there are better O-coordinators out there. I'm just saying that this is not some historically talented Wyoming team. This team is winning because they make fewer mistakes and execute better than their opponent. I'm not a philosophically opposed to spread/triple option/ or whatever...i'm opposed to the undisciplined mess that this program has been mired in for the 20 years before Bohl and Company showed up. BSU is usually pretty loaded and this year is no exception. They don't lose to freaking anybody on the blue turf....and it almost happend...i'm not into moral victoryies but I'm unwilling to look at todays result and say "Failure!!"
Quit deflecting. No one is challenging the talent level of this team. The issue is we are dealing with an OC who is in Groundhog Day mode in games that really count. The guy simply finds a way to lose close games too often, and is perfect at losing the most important ones, that could put us in the hunt for a championship and a solid position at the top of the conference. I guess I just expect too much when I pine for a team that used to be in the top 3 year-and, year-out like we used to be.
Are you referring to the Mid '80s through through the Mid '90s?? Yeah...I want that too...but guess what? that was the apex of Wyoming football historically. If we got back to that I would be soooooo happy. I actually don't think Bohl is the guy to do it. If I'm being honest I think that the next coach here could do it by building on what Bohl has done.

It is not deflecting to challenge absurd notions like "this team would be undefeated if....." I could say the same thing about our defense giving up leads in the fourth quarter (and I have) but it is absolutely true that there is not ONE single thing that is giving these games away. I don't think that Vigen "lost" this game...I don't think the defense "lost" this game. Wyoming obviously had a great game plan and just about upset a team that has lost like 4 home games in what ... 10 years?

If Wyoming can keep playing sound football these close losses will turn into wins...
Guy, you can "think" what you want. There are people who "think" the world is flat and we never landed on the Moon. Real thought is supported by facts and evidence, both if which, in the case of Brent Vigen , would suggest he isn't really qualified for his job.
I'll take 'thinking' over gut reaction "ZOMG WE LOST A GAME NOBODY THOUGHT WE WOULD WIN >>> FIRE EVERYBODY"

There is a critique of this offensive staff out there that is reall and not based on just wishing we had a top 5 offenses.

Once again..the points about the statisticall level of Wyoming's offense are a great starting point....acting like this team is undefeated if Vigen is not the O-coordinator is just dumb. It's no different than what I've saying that if our Defense gets 4th quarter stops we would be undefeated. It's a bit of wishful thinking.
You are so focused on some sort of holistic evaluation of the game that you're ignoring the obvious and throwing up straw men. No one is wishing we had a "...top 5..." offense. If we had a top 75 offense, we'd possibly be undefeated right now. Vigen creates a ceiling for the program. Our defense did their jobs. They got a bit gassed in the second half because the OFFENSE COULDN'T STAY ON THE F-CKING FIELD! The defense delivered and held Boise's vaunted offense to 17 regulation points. Smart effort from the sidelines and solid effort on the field contributed to that. The offense, player-wise, did a damn good job with what they were given. This team is the obverse of the old Paul Roach teams when Del Wight was the DC. Wight thought he was doing a damn fine job if he held the other team under 35 points, because the offense was there to bail him out. That is exactly how the defensive side of our program seems to be viewed by Vigen. His whole philosophy seems to be, if we don't turn the ball over and grind out the clock, the defense will bail us out.

You can claim a good offensive game was called until the cows come home- the fact is, when it counts, when it's possibly a pivotal moment for the program, such as a victory on a field we are winless on in seven attempts, Vigen made highly questionable calls, repeating a pattern that has been evident for six years now. He is CFB's version of Marty Schottenheimer- overall, a decent body of work, but never able to deliver on the big orders. If anything, it's his boss's attitude towards toughness on defense has been the biggest contributing factor to Vigen's "success".

Adjusting expectations and lowering the threshold for success because of the perception of over-achieving against a program we never should have been second-tier to is exactly what infects Wyoming's fan base and allows those who should be held accountable to continue apace without any sense of possible repercussion. We have the highest paid football coaching staff in the MWC. They'd better deliver as such. Last night was a glaring opportunity to deliver on their pay grade. The game was theirs to lose, and sure enough, one side of them managed to do it.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Winka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Yeah I think that the defense gets some blame. We needed a stop and they didn't get it done when it mattered and Boise State tied the game. They also got shredded early. Our offense didn't score enough points and our defense gave up too many. Moral victories are for losers. Our entire team didn't win a game we should have. In 3 losses this year, our defense played decent most of the game but folded when we needed a stop.
User avatar
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:43 am

Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm
Yeah I think that the defense gets some blame. We needed a stop and they didn't get it done when it mattered and Boise State tied the game. They also got shredded early. Our offense didn't score enough points and our defense gave up too many. Moral victories are for losers. Our entire team didn't win a game we should have. In 3 losses this year, our defense played decent most of the game but folded when we needed a stop.
The defense held them to 17 points in regulation on the Blue and forced 2 TOs. They did their job.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7184
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm
Yeah I think that the defense gets some blame. We needed a stop and they didn't get it done when it mattered and Boise State tied the game. They also got shredded early. Our offense didn't score enough points and our defense gave up too many. Moral victories are for losers. Our entire team didn't win a game we should have. In 3 losses this year, our defense played decent most of the game but folded when we needed a stop.
no
DVDA
Cowpoke
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm
Location: Laramie, WY

Subcanis wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:53 pm
Brown and Gold wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm
Yeah I think that the defense gets some blame. We needed a stop and they didn't get it done when it mattered and Boise State tied the game. They also got shredded early. Our offense didn't score enough points and our defense gave up too many. Moral victories are for losers. Our entire team didn't win a game we should have. In 3 losses this year, our defense played decent most of the game but folded when we needed a stop.
The defense held them to 17 points in regulation on the Blue and forced 2 TOs. They did their job.
How anyone can blame the defense for anything this year is beyond absurd. The offense is a lead weight holding this program in mediocrity. Even a mildly competent offense would have UW at 9-0 or 8-1.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2924
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 pm

DVDA wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Even a mildly competent offense would have UW at 9-0 or 8-1.
Replace the word "offense" with "offensive coordinator".
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:20 pm

The defense gets blame too in my book. No moral victories. We needed a stop up by 7 and they didn't get it done. Same story in the 3 losses. They couldn't finish.
Post Reply