Hoops are here!

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

It's time for my annual plea for news, as I am jonesing for wyo hoops info. Not interested in "we suck, the sky is falling, fire the coach" stuff...i thought we saw flashes of goodness last year, before Maldo got hurt. I'm anticipating seeing a young team mature, now that they cant stand and watch JJ carry the load.

How's the team look? Might we have a point guard that can hold his own? Can either of the new bigs contribute?

I know it's way early (some years I've asked for info in July), but so it goes. Anyone? Bueller?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree with you about being excited for the season. I think we will be much better than last year(can't get worse) will it be enough better? that's the question. I too expect big things from Maldo. There were times last year before he was injured that I thought he was a better player already than JJ was, not as crazy athletic but in skills.
I think Kenny Foster has potential to be another all time great here at Wyoming(I know its WAY to early but I'm calling my shot). Not sure if he will be ready for huge contributions this year though. I think the PG we brought in Greg Milton is gonna compete right away and has newcomer of the year potential. Still don't know what we have down low which will limit our success. Hope the new big guy from Florida brings some toughness and rebounding with him.
I haven't seen much news and pretty much the only discussion we can get going around here just becomes "Fire Edwards" and "We suck" but I'm an eternal optimist.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Im sorry, but I can't see how we'll be better. The collective improvement from last year has to be greater than the loss of an NBA draft pick. We still need some big guys. We'll need Maldonado to not get injured. That's asking a lot.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Injuries could certainly derail this team, particularly since we're still way young. I'm thinking 3 issues are key: a decent point guard, or someone to jumpstart the offense, and then additional, quality play from the bigs. HT will be better, but we were so thin inside last year in terms of size and experience.

And, perhaps most important, if we play as a mature team, perhaps that will offset the loss of JJ. I think this group can be good, and will be fun to watch, but I'm concerned we're a year out.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The real question is how bad does the team need to be to get a new coach? Will we be stuck with Edwards after another season of single digit wins?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

DVDA wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:33 pm Will we be stuck with Edwards after another season of single digit wins?
The answer is yes. The recent Poke AD's are slow learners and must have been educated at CSU or BYU.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

My thoughts

W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Just beat CSU Edwards.. just give us that
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:18 pm Just beat CSU Edwards.. just give us that
Cant see this happening. They don't have a BoBo leading their basketball team.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

500 season or bust, no excuses, go 500 i give AE a pass for 2020-21
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

When's the first game? Guess I should buy my season tix...
GetRealMan
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am When's the first game? Guess I should buy my season tix...
There's a new search tool called Google, check it out.
Me, I'm spiritually retarded, I need to be knee deep in water with a fly rod in my hands, that's about as close to God as I get.
"Steve Earle"
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am When's the first game? Guess I should buy my season tix...
https://gowyo.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

GetRealMan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:36 am
There's a new search tool called Google, check it out.
Some helpful reading on the subject