Trace Young

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 pm
.44caliberkiller wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 am Word on the other board is that Young leaving was Edwards decision and not Young's. There was mention of some off the court behavior issues that the coaches didn't like.
Whats the explanation? What behavior? Edwards should explain himself. After his top guys son not only tanks off half the season getting to start at point guard but then beats the poop out of those girls from Gillette.

Young better be a real asshole for Edwards to run him off. Because his talent should have been a big part of next year and beyond.

I believe Redding was found not guilty of those charges?
andersonj
Buckaroo

He may have had potential but he was a very weak defender. Did you watch the Nevada game where he didn't even body their big guy when he was on his way to the rim and jam after jam? Nuff said.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

So no word on what happened?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Still nuthin
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

JuCo. Is there any doubt now that something off the court was going on here?
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Best part is look at his Twitter and the JUCO is in Illinois, but he has the state outline of Kentucky behind him. I mean Ny Redding was a good example for him to follow.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:48 pm JuCo. Is there any doubt now that something off the court was going on here?
Yes. If he could play, someone would take a chance on him. Fact is, he couldn't get playing time on one of the worst teams in all of D1 basketball. He didn't rebound, didn't defend, couldn't pass, and shot a low percentage. Posters on this board said he had lots of potential. So did Heath Schroyer.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:48 pm JuCo. Is there any doubt now that something off the court was going on here?
Yes. If he could play, someone would take a chance on him. Fact is, he couldn't get playing time on one of the worst teams in all of D1 basketball. He didn't rebound, didn't defend, couldn't pass, and shot a low percentage. Posters on this board said he had lots of potential. So did Heath Schroyer.
It's all that cut and dry? Ok.

- you're wrong on production equaling talent or potential

- kind of finally heard enough of the same answer of his real problems. It's not talent

I don't think anything is as cut and dry as you're claiming. I liked that kid when I've talked to him. I'm still for him as a person. Would argue the details of potential of 6-9 ball handler/finisher and what could develop. If it mattered. This kid it doesn't and let's just hope someday we see some positive mention of him for anything
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

That’s not really accurate. He struggled as a freshman, but that is not unusual. Going the JC route makes a lot of sense for someone like Young. It is likely that his options as a sit out transfer are somewhat limited (low Major D-1 most likely), but becoming a 4/2/4 guy and showing some flashes at JC gives him a real opportunity to get back to the mid major level.

Lots of examples out there. A couple that are Wyoming related that come to mind are Keonta Vernon and Jermaine Haley. Vernon didn’t really do anything at UW, but after going JC ended up at a pretty good GCU program. Haley was pursued by schools like UW as a sit out transfer but instead went JC and ended up in the Big 12.

An older example is Tyson Johnson. He didn’t do that much as a freshman at Monmouth but had a solid JC year as a sophomore and ended up in the MWC.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:18 pm

- kind of finally heard enough of the same answer of his real problems. It's not talent

I don't think anything is as cut and dry as you're claiming. I liked that kid when I've talked to him. I'm still for him as a person. Would argue the details of potential of 6-9 ball handler/finisher and what could develop. If it mattered. This kid it doesn't and let's just hope someday we see some positive mention of him for anything
I have no idea why he was asked to leave the team. But I didn't see the same potential as you. I thought he was slow and not particulary strong. Maybe he has great potential. But I think it's a bigger smear on a kid to suggest that it was a character issue, not his talent, that kept him from getting a better offer.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:41 pm

I have no idea why he was asked to leave the team. But I didn't see the same potential as you. I thought he was slow and not particulary strong. Maybe he has great potential. But I think it's a bigger smear on a kid to suggest that it was a character issue, not his talent, that kept him from getting a better offer.
You are right about half of it. This is a character thing. But you claimed it was talent. Maybe you have a brief history as a cowboy fan? I don't know. I don't mak claims on others.

If you think this kid doesn't have D1 talent then that's your issue and you shouldn't evaluate talent and speak on it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:38 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:41 pm

You are right about half of it. This is a character thing. But you claimed it was talent. Maybe you have a brief history as a cowboy fan? I don't know. I don't mak claims on others.

If you think this kid doesn't have D1 talent then that's your issue and you shouldn't evaluate talent and speak on it.
Really? I watched the kid play. I'm not allowed to evaluated his talent? He couldn't get much playing time on one of the worst D1 teams in the country. But you know it was a character issue? Please post a link of his arrest or some disciplinary event that made our coaching staff give up on him.
BTW, it's not my issue. He won't be playing D1 next year. If he really had any talent, there are a number of coaches who would take a chance on him if they thought he could play.