West side stadium renovation and new pool in the works?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Heard Tom Burman on the radio talking about this briefly then I had to tune off. Anyone have any info on this?
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Looks like they're trying to package it with a Corbetts pool renovation.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... e-trending
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

This is not going to turn out well and is going to be received poorly by the legislature. As packaged, the legislature will be a hard NO and those are the facts. Trustee Kermit Brown (and former House speaker) was right to suggest that these should be packaged separately as the Corbett Pool is more of a necessity.

Call me a debbie downer but I can almost guarantee this funding request will not be approved in the current energy climate.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm This is not going to turn out well and is going to be received poorly by the legislature. As packaged, the legislature will be a hard NO and those are the facts. Trustee Kermit Brown (and former House speaker) was right to suggest that these should be packaged separately as the Corbett Pool is more of a necessity.

Call me a debbie downer but I can almost guarantee this funding request will not be approved in the current energy climate.
Agree the funding will not be approved (with the state's current financial issues and poor leadership).

I was kind of surprised by Kermit's comments. "That kind of money for six games". Holy f-word Kermit, don't look at just the 6 games, look at the revenue those 6 games brings to the athletic department, and for the love of god, suggest that maybe the AD should look for other revenue sources in the facility (camps, concerts, tournaments, etc.).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Well here's one way to raise some money I guess.. Is this the beginning of the end for the Summit View lot?

https://oilcity.news/wyoming/2019/05/27 ... developer/
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm This is not going to turn out well and is going to be received poorly by the legislature. As packaged, the legislature will be a hard NO and those are the facts. Trustee Kermit Brown (and former House speaker) was right to suggest that these should be packaged separately as the Corbett Pool is more of a necessity.

Agree the funding will not be approved (with the state's current financial issues and poor leadership).

I was kind of surprised by Kermit's comments. "That kind of money for six games". Holy f-word Kermit, don't look at just the 6 games, look at the revenue those 6 games brings to the athletic department, and for the love of god, suggest that maybe the AD should look for other revenue sources in the facility (camps, concerts, tournaments, etc.).
This is pretty asinine. By this logic why even have a football stadium at all? Why not use Laramie High's stadium and save a bunch of money? Why even have any home games period? I mean it's only 6 days a year?? What the hell kind of logic is that? If we are going to be a D-1 football team then let's do it right. It takes a nice, modern stadium to be a real D-1 program, so let's do it. Stupid logic. Dumb. Small-time rinky dink thinking from one of our leaders who I thought was a big proponent of the program
Last edited by LanderPoke on Wed May 29, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm Well here's one way to raise some money I guess.. Is this the beginning of the end for the Summit View lot?

Does this include the whole summit lot? They have started construction on something over there, but have not touched the Summit lot
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 am

This is pretty asinine. By this logic why even have a football stadium at all? Why not use Laramie High's stadium and save a bunch of money? Why even have any home games period? I mean it's only 6 days a year?? What the hell kind of logic is that? If we are going to be a D-1 football team then let's do it right. It takes a nice, modern stadium to be a real D-1 program, so let's do it. Stupid logic. Dumb. Small-time rinky dink thinking from one of our leaders who I thought was a big proponent of the program
Much as I hate to say it, I've come to realize that if you talk the average Wyomingite into going skydiving, when all is said and done, they will have taken a 15 minute "discovery" flight in a two-seater prop and checked their skydiving box.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Lander Poke--Well said. Exactly right!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

303cowboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm Well here's one way to raise some money I guess.. Is this the beginning of the end for the Summit View lot?

The land lease they are referring to is the land located south of Arrowhead Lane, basically between 22nd and what would be 28th. They are not doing anything with the summit view lot (for the time being at least). Everything changes though - and UW is as high priced "friendly ladies"-ish as they come. LOL!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wait till it completely falls apart, thats the UW way it seems, betcha they wish the Methane boom would come back and soon
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:04 pm Wait till it completely falls apart, thats the UW way it seems, betcha they wish the Methane boom would come back and soon
We are in the middle of a methane (natural gas) boom. Production in Wyoming is near an all time high. The problem is so is the rest of the country and natural gas prices are low and will stay low. There is enough gas in the Eastern Marcellus and Utica shales to meet the demand for 100s of years. Additionally,Wyoming is producing more oil now than it has in over 25 years. So technically we are in an oil and gas production boom and still in a financial crisis; this is what is being lost on everyone!!

The problem...the nation wide methane (natural gas) boom has killed the price and demand of Powder River Basin coal. That demand isn’t going to come back outside of some miracle technology.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:56 am
stymeman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:04 pm Wait till it completely falls apart, thats the UW way it seems, betcha they wish the Methane boom would come back and soon
We are in the middle of a methane (natural gas) boom. Production in Wyoming is near an all time high. The problem is so is the rest of the country and natural gas prices are low and will stay low. There is enough gas in the Eastern Marcellus and Utica shales to meet the demand for 100s of years. Additionally,Wyoming is producing more oil now than it has in over 25 years. So technically we are in an oil and gas production boom and still in a financial crisis; this is what is being lost on everyone!!

The problem...the nation wide methane (natural gas) boom has killed the price and demand of Powder River Basin coal. That demand isn’t going to come back outside of some miracle technology.
I read a story where UW scientists can pull rare earth elements out of coal and fly ash. Sounds promising but so did the possible RE mine near rock springs.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:00 am

I read a story where UW scientists can pull rare earth elements out of coal and fly ash. Sounds promising but so did the possible RE mine near rock springs.
The amount of rare earths in coal is so minuscule that there is no way rare earths alone save coal production. If you want to produce rare earths, Wyoming has plenty of places that are much more economic for that (but still on a scale of like 1000% of china’s cost of rare earth production).
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The pool has needed renovation for some time. It was a great facility in the 70's, but for whatever reason the competition lanes were built at 25 meters. NCAA teams compete at 25 yards. The 25 yards side of the "L" pool is about half diving well. Swimmers want a consistent depth, and don't like competing over diving wells. As a result, UW can't get teams to compete in their own pool and have to compete in the Laramie rec center pool.

Renovating the pool is kind of like a referendum on swimming at UW - is it a D1 sport or not. Sad that they have to package it with stadium work to try to get money for it. Tom Johnson tried to get a 50 meter pool in the HAPC (they have floating bulkheads to convert to 25 yard), and he was right that we'd have had Olympians in that pool all year round.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am
laxwyo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:00 am

The amount of rare earths in coal is so minuscule that there is no way rare earths alone save coal production. If you want to produce rare earths, Wyoming has plenty of places that are much more economic for that (but still on a scale of like 1000% of china’s cost of rare earth production).
What about coal and carbon fiber?
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I mean, if you're gonna renovate, I think more people would enjoy watching the game from hot tubs.. ;)
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 am

Agree. Six or seven(at most) home games is all Clemson, Bama and all SEC, Big 10 programs, etc have during any season.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Call me crazy, butI think our legislators may be wise to wait until we start seeing financial and on the field ROI before they pour more money into our football facilities. We have to remember most of these guys run heavy on the fiscal conservative message. It's kinda hard to toe that line if they're asking for bigtime money for sports facilities every few years. In the meantime, maybe we'd be better off putting more money into our recruiting/ coaching budget. It'd be a much easier ask and it may offer a better ROI. It'd be one thing if we could actually fill our stadium regularly, but I don't see that happening until we put a better product on the field.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson