Should We expect More?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Last night was painful to watch in person, but glad the Cowgirls were able to make the Championship game. Tom Burman ordered a beer next to me last night and I really wanted to knock it out of his hand, but I thought why would I waste beer. Here on some thoughts I have:

- It was great to see the Men's team stay and watch the Cowgirls, yet they brought no energy in cheering. I mean who could epxect much less since their energy this year wasn't that great. What really made me mad was I didn't see any of the Men's coaches. I can remember watching Bruce Pearl at TN gettting fired up with the fans. I would have liked to see something. The team just looks in shambles the turnovers and lack of effort in rebounding and being overall Cowboy Tough is really embarassing. Every game it was the saem issue, poor shot selection, give up a ton of O rebounds, and turn the ball over 18 times a game.

- The Cowgirls team is a really frustrating team. It took Joe 16 years to make the MW title game. Scott Nulph said it best that Boise had been there 3 times and Wyoming's first and it showed. Joe has historically had teams (minus 2007) that fail in the big games. No matter how stacked they can't win in the big time. I hope the title game helps the younger players next year, and the back-ups definitely outplayed the starters (minus Marta who sat the majority of the 4th QTR). If they make some lay-ups they miss then momentum probably wouldn't have swayed so fast. However, BSU watched Wyomign struggle against the pick-and-roll and then turned around and crushed them with it. How do you not have a plan to defend against that? Was that not coached? Or did the players not execute? Seeing Marta and Bailee sit the 4th I knew the team simply didn't have it in them this year. Carla was playing with fire, yet was benched for a good portion of the game. It looked like Edwards substituions.
The team has some great players coming in, in addition to, outsanding players retruning.

- Football - I am not sold on the program as yet. Before you jump down my throat let me explain what I see. There has been no sustained success. Either the Offense or the Defense has carried the team, there has not been a full team effort. The WR development is the worst in college football. 2016 Josh Allen was throwing bombs to Gentry and Mullhardt, but since then we haven't had a receving threat. My biggest issue is this, Wyoming has yet to win on the big stage (I know another program). The Washington State game is the perfect example. When it got truly tough for the team (Nico out) they simply folded, you could see the demanor change. It didn't help Vigen has game planned not to lose bad against big programs instead of win. It reminds me of the DC era, at least we tried hard right (participation trohpy much?) Can Bohl actaully plan to beat a P5 team, or are we just all talk about hitting people in the mouth in the trenches. I believe the talent is there to win, but unless they actually win a big game will they ever believe they can? You can count 2016 BSU if you want.

These 3 programs have not had a sustained success, and as a fan it is really frustrating to even get hyped. These are just my opinions of the programs, but until proven otherwise it is hard to hope for more. Let's see what Spring football holds though we those WR signings and Chambers and Vander Waal pushing each other has this year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We deserve more. We need a new athletics director, basketball coach and offensive coordinator.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Yes but what do you do? How much does it cost? Who goes and asks for the money?

Wyoming might be different than any other school there is.

Does an athletic director need experience? What about someone great in business and with connections to huge money?

Maybe not AD but I'm convinced that if you put 4 or 5 people that pay enough to park in front of their name in a group together that that group would be more than smart enough to make a great bb HC hire

I guess I just hope the RIGHT 2 or 3 people will want a change at coach. Guessing that's what it takes?
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

I sure hope you aren’t suggesting that Wyoming could do better than Joe at the helm of the women’s program.

16 years with over 300 wins. 10 out of those 16 having 20 win seasons. 14 of those years having at least a .500 record in conference play.

Sure it’s disappointing that they have never won a conference title but I think it is easy to see that there are normally a handful of teams in the conference that have more athleticism and possibly more talent, but Joe has a game plan that utilizes what his players can do and is able to compete despite the limitations.

To continually compete with girls from Wyoming, Colorado and overseas is pretty impressive.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 pm We deserve more. We need a new athletics director, basketball coach and offensive coordinator.
There isn't anything left of the dead horse you've been beating.

We. Get. It....and the vast majority of us agree with you.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Of course i want more: any fan does, and it's expected, look at ticket prices, pieces are there, execute the way u are spozed to and Win, isn't asking for too much, Pokes for life
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

"Championships or why bother even showing up" should the mantra for ALL Wyoming athletics!!!!!

As Sean Connery said in the movie, The Rock, " Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f-word the prom queen!!!!"
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

GoGoPokes wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 pm I sure hope you aren’t suggesting that Wyoming could do better than Joe at the helm of the women’s program.

16 years with over 300 wins. 10 out of those 16 having 20 win seasons. 14 of those years having at least a .500 record in conference play.

Sure it’s disappointing that they have never won a conference title but I think it is easy to see that there are normally a handful of teams in the conference that have more athleticism and possibly more talent, but Joe has a game plan that utilizes what his players can do and is able to compete despite the limitations.

To continually compete with girls from Wyoming, Colorado and overseas is pretty impressive.
Not to mention a 3.7 cumulative team GPA! No one talks about this stat but it is amazing for a competitive D1 program.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 pm We deserve more. We need a new athletics director, basketball coach and offensive coordinator.

lol, ok dude. I was just responding to the question that was posed. It's a message board. Ignore it if you don't want to read it
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 am

lol, ok dude. I was just responding to the question that was posed. It's a message board. Ignore it if you don't want to read it
Why post the same thing over and over again? How many times do you have to post "they played hard"? Don't post just to see your words on a message board. Posters like you are why this board is dying. Why come on here to see the same obvious takes by a handful of posters? It's really tired.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Here on WyoNation we are preaching to the choir. We are more of the exception not the rule. The casual Wyoming fan is pretty apathetic towards success and I don't blame them. I was sitting at the Washington St. game with a friend of mine, born and raised in Cheyenne, Went to UW, been a Cowboy fan his whole life. I was fuming after that 4th qtr and he wasn't angry at all. He had become so used to it.

I grew up in SEC land and maybe my mentality is better/worse for it but I do believe you cannot accept mediocrity. It is the poison that can kill any hope of sustained success.

All the way down from our Board of trustees, president, AD, and administration they have allowed this mediocrity to creep into the fabric of the program. It's not that we lose, it's that we accept it and somehow they hope it will magically fix itself. Dump as much money as you want into facilities and marketing but if the leadership and attitude at the TOP doesn't change I don't have much confidence for success.
I'm good for 3!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am

Why post the same thing over and over again? How many times do you have to post "they played hard"? Don't post just to see your words on a message board. Posters like you are why this board is dying. Why come on here to see the same obvious takes by a handful of posters? It's really tired.
Feel free not to read my posts, either, moron. This place is starting to suck because only people like you with IQs in the 80s post. You're just an a-hole :thumbdown:
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am

Nope. The posting that gets old is the complaining about the very little talking about the games and the team that we have going on here.

If it irritates you then check out. Come back when it's better. There's still some people interested in talking about all of it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Totally depends on your view. If you are accepting of mediocrity and think even usu-level is unattainable, then no. We should not expect more. Laramie simply has too many limitations.

If you reject that notion, welcome to the minority opinion. It won't get you far, especially here.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.