Sad but reality

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

There is a big chance that we don't win a conference game this year. Now I'm not going to blame this all on Edward's. He didn't get our transfer suspended and it's not his fault we got blasted by injuries but this team could lose every game even against SJSU.

That SDSU team that whipped our ass might be the weakest SDSU team we've faced in 10 years and they straight to us to the wood shed.

The biggest issue is steam, we had UNLV but we ran out of gas as x that is how every game is going to be with all these injuries and only having 7 scholarship players available.

This is the type of adversity that strengthens teams by its also the type that rips them completely apart. I'm interested in seeing how the young players handle it. Do they let it put a chip on this shoulders or do we see a lot of transfers next year.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm There is a big chance that we don't win a conference game this year. Now I'm not going to blame this all on Edward's. He didn't get our transfer suspended and it's not his fault we got blasted by injuries but this team could lose every game even against SJSU.

That SDSU team that whipped our ass might be the weakest SDSU team we've faced in 10 years and they straight to us to the wood shed.

The biggest issue is steam, we had UNLV but we ran out of gas as x that is how every game is going to be with all these injuries and only having 7 scholarship players available.

This is the type of adversity that strengthens teams by its also the type that rips them completely apart. I'm interested in seeing how the young players handle it. Do they let it put a chip on this shoulders or do we see a lot of transfers next year.
My fear is that this year could be the proverbial nail in the coffin of Wyoming basketball for a long, long time. The program still hasn't recovered from Heath's bull poop, and now a 4 win season with Edwards could mean a real drought in recruiting, fan base, donations, etc. I believe they will lose some of the current roster, and could lose players in the pipeline. While it all isn't Edwards fault, this has been coming since Shyatt hauled ass for Texas and left Baby Shy and Edwards in charge (both are in over their heads if you ask me). If I were AD for a day, I would clean house and start over. The program is now at the bottom of the barrel, so there is no way to go but up. I'm not sure who would want to come to Laramie to try and rebuild this program, but it's going to take somebody with thick skin and a poop load of skills. I don't know if the university has enough money to hire that person.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I see no advantage to keeping Edwards after this year. It's so obvious that things need to be torn down and we might as well just get started now. It's been the same crap for three years and now we don't have many good players and we'll have even fewer next year. If AE is here next year we may not win a game. seriously.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm Now I'm not going to blame this all on Edward's. He didn't get our transfer suspended ....
Would tighter discipline and expression of expectations made a difference?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

By the way, the last time Wyoming went only winning four games in a year was 1973-1974 when Radovich was coach. For those of us who were around in those days, that was a pretty dark time. The good news is they had DeVoe for two years and then Brandenburg came in to save the day. I just hope there's another Brandenburg out there to raise the Titanic.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

"I don't blame all of this on Edwards..." Seriously!!??

I mean I guess that is technically correct but I disagree with this completely...we are in the situation we are in because he's a bad college basketball coach. Have we had some bad breaks?..of course. You only control the things you can control. Good coaches make bad situations better and make good situations great. Edwards is not even performing at replacement level. Edwards is taking lemons and somehow making a turd sandwich. Nobody here expected this years team to be in the upper echelon of the MW (at least I did not), but the hole we are in is pretty remarkable....takes a cruddy leader to achieve that.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times

307bball wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 am "I don't blame all of this on Edwards..." Seriously!!??

I mean I guess that is technically correct but I disagree with this completely...we are in the situation we are in because he's a bad college basketball coach. Have we had some bad breaks?..of course. You only control the things you can control. Good coaches make bad situations better and make good situations great. Edwards is not even performing at replacement level. Edwards is taking lemons and somehow making a turd sandwich. Nobody here expected this years team to be in the upper echelon of the MW (at least I did not), but the hole we are in is pretty remarkable....takes a cruddy leader to achieve that.
I'm afraid your right. I've been willing to give Edwards a pass to see what this team would look like. Even without the injuries, we wouldn't be very good. Simply put, the talent isn't very good. Our best player is a Shyatt recruit. Thompson might be very good, but how hard did they have to recruit him? I disagree with those who say the program might be beyond saving. Heath had us in the cellar for years. With the right guy, it won't take long. It only takes a player or 2. Bring in a few big time JC players and we could be competitive right away. This season is lost. No one on this staff is a viable replacement so let them finish the season. But the search should start right now.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am
Wyo2dal wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm Now I'm not going to blame this all on Edward's. He didn't get our transfer suspended ....
With D1 college athletes? No. If they are gonna be a screw-up, they will regardless of rules and expectations.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am
307bball wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 am "I don't blame all of this on Edwards..." Seriously!!??

I'm afraid your right. I've been willing to give Edwards a pass to see what this team would look like. Even without the injuries, we wouldn't be very good. Simply put, the talent isn't very good. Our best player is a Shyatt recruit. Thompson might be very good, but how hard did they have to recruit him? I disagree with those who say the program might be beyond saving. Heath had us in the cellar for years. With the right guy, it won't take long. It only takes a player or 2. Bring in a few big time JC players and we could be competitive right away. This season is lost. No one on this staff is a viable replacement so let them finish the season. But the search should start right now.
Please Please Please let this be the case!!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 am By the way, the last time Wyoming went only winning four games in a year was 1973-1974 when Radovich was coach. For those of us who were around in those days, that was a pretty dark time. The good news is they had DeVoe for two years and then Brandenburg came in to save the day. I just hope there's another Brandenburg out there to raise the Titanic.
Not a stretch to say we could be watching the worst UW team in the last 50 years
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:57 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am
With D1 college athletes? No. If they are gonna be a screw-up, they will regardless of rules and expectations.
Kids with super strict parents never act out....

(laced with heavvvvvvy sarcasm)
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Look no further than last year’s Nevada team that went 7 deep. They are playing the same amount of guys as we are, but those 7 were far superior and obviously in better shape. Ideally, we should be a 8-9 deep team. It’s hard to get 10 deep and not have a significant drop off in talent. I said it before, we are definitely against the wall, but barring anymore injuries, this team might and I say might surprise a few of us if we can play more Man and get better rebounding and shooting the 3. I know it’s a lot to ask! I’ve been really impressed with the overall play of Banks. Very solid rebounder and very scrappy
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

With all these young kids getting a lot of minutes, shouldn't next year's team be pretty good? (provided Edwards is gone)
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Talent is definitely an issue right now. I feel like, over the years, Wyoming basketball has fluctuated talent-wise a bit, but outside of a few years in the late '80s and early 00's, has not outclassed the rest of the conference in terms of personnel. The magic for cowboy basketball is in creating a culture where you play smart and tough and nobody beats you without bringing thier A-game. In Edwards tenure, he has shown that he has no ability to instill any kind of basketball discipline in the game of his team. Even with top-flight MWC talent, a team led by Edwards would under-perform (I guess this is conjecture at this point since Edwards does NOT have top flight MWC talent). The flip side of this is coaches in the vein of Larry Shyatt....I know he's not every-bodies cup of tea but his teams consistently were better than individual talent level would indicate. I know Larry's tenure here didn't light the world on fire but during those years...really good teams came to 7220' to lose...I miss that and I suspect that even the Shyatt haters out there miss it too.

At this point I'm pretty confident that if Edwards were the guy...we would be seeing something different right now. We know what we have with Edwards. I sux. Time to cut bait and move on.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

307bball wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am Talent is definitely an issue right now. I feel like, over the years, Wyoming basketball has fluctuated talent-wise a bit, but outside of a few years in the late '80s and early 00's, has not outclassed the rest of the conference in terms of personnel. The magic for cowboy basketball is in creating a culture where you play smart and tough and nobody beats you without bringing thier A-game. In Edwards tenure, he has shown that he has no ability to instill any kind of basketball discipline in the game of his team. Even with top-flight MWC talent, a team led by Edwards would under-perform (I guess this is conjecture at this point since Edwards does NOT have top flight MWC talent). The flip side of this is coaches in the vein of Larry Shyatt....I know he's not every-bodies cup of tea but his teams consistently were better than individual talent level would indicate. I know Larry's tenure here didn't light the world on fire but during those years...really good teams came to 7220' to lose...I miss that and I suspect that even the Shyatt haters out there miss it too.

At this point I'm pretty confident that if Edwards were the guy...we would be seeing something different right now. We know what we have with Edwards. I sux. Time to cut bait and move on.
I think a good coach takes last year's UW team deep into the conference tourney or beyond. So much wasted talent.
wrxman
Buckaroo

holy poop, I'm at the game today and there is ZERO aggressiveness. These guys take a flop rather than go up for a block.
Last edited by wrxman on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

JJ = Overrated
The shot selection as of late has been:
Head down, charge in, throw up a prayer, hope for a foul.
Burn down the clock, dribble to top of key with 2 secs left, throw up a prayer, hope for a 3.
Call for the ball, dribble into double team, believe you have mastered the stepback, miss.

His defense has been non-existent as of late as well....

Been seeing a lot of passed shots, just to get it back into JJs hands to execute one of the above shots selections.

There is NO confidence on this team.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wrxman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm holy poop, I'm at the game today and there is ZERO aggressiveness. These guys take a flop rather than go up for a block. This is a pussified situation we're in here.
This has got to be the poorest coached team I’ve ever seen Schroyer teams were better coached
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm JJ = Overrated
Burn down the clock, dribble to top of key with 2 secs left, throw up a prayer, hope for a 3.
Call for the ball, dribble into double team, believe you have mastered the stepback, miss.

Been seeing a lot of passed shots, just to get it back into JJs hands to execute one of the above shots selections.

dude. He is doing the best he can. He’s pretty much the only bright spot
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm
PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm JJ = Overrated

dude. He is doing the best he can. He’s pretty much the only bright spot
JJ is talented, but he is nowhere the elite talent he is being led to believe he is. JJ is in the same mold as Nance Jr and Josh Adams...he is an NBA talent, but he isn't an ELITE NBA talent. At best, he will be a role player on whatever team picks him up. For us as Cowboy fans to elevate him beyond his predecessors that brought back some semblance of the Cowboy BB we all know from the past is a disservice to JJ. Right now, he is in his own head thinking that he is the only option on the floor. Look at his past 4 games, and it is obvious that he is not. This coaching staff is desperation mode and they are staking their careers on the back of a guy that will be lucky to follow the path of Josh Adams at the next level. It's not fair to JJ and it's not fair to Poke fans that remember the days where teams were afraid to play us on our own floor with 10k fans in the stands.....