After watching this weeks slate of MWC games...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

We really could have contended for a conference championship if staff would have recognized chambers as the #1. SDSU down to UNLV right now. Even with a basic playbook, Chambers has enough to win against Hawaii and Utah st and put us close enough to take 1 of 2 against Fresno and Boise. I’ve seen enough of him to recognize he’s a game changer running the ball but if they started him with full offense earlier, we’re contenders.
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

No. Beating god awful CSU and SJSU does not make us a contender.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

UNLV getting the win over SDSU is a shocker.

I still don't think we would've got past Boise State, but I do believe that our team is much better than our current record shows.

The next two weeks will be telling....
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:52 pm We really could have contended for a conference championship if staff would have recognized chambers as the #1. SDSU down to UNLV right now. Even with a basic playbook, Chambers has enough to win against Hawaii and Utah st and put us close enough to take 1 of 2 against Fresno and Boise. I’ve seen enough of him to recognize he’s a game changer running the ball but if they started him with full offense earlier, we’re contenders.
I agree with you that Chambers could have been a game changer against Hawaii and maybe even Utah State. But no way does he change the outcome of the Fresno and Boise games, those games were far more than being just 1 player away from winning.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I agree. It can’t be understated what constantly being on the field does to a defense. Be would likely only have at most two conference losses. Thanks, for nothing, Vigen, you wasted a generational defense
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Like we always hear, wait til next year, aaaargh
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Problem with waiting till next year is that you waste a ton of senior defensive talent. Same issue as the year before with JA. At some point you need to see a championship window and go the Juco route ( WRs and runninbacks would have been great last year, letting a true freshmen play at QB this year).

I like the idea of a developmental program, but got to see the championship windows. You can’t tell me there weren’t some great graduate transfers or Juco wr/te that would have loved to play with JA.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

We got away with Chambers playing as an unknown vs Utah State. Hawaii is the only game I think we win with Chambers. I don't think our coaches were blind to Chambers talent and are at fault for waiting. He's still really green and it's not like he's dominating good teams. He's got a long way to go and had he been our starter at the beginning, we may have gotten the same offensive outcome.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 am No. Beating god awful CSU and SJSU does not make us a contender.
Yes - we could have contended for the championship with enough variation in our offense to screw up the defense.

We are not as bad as we are - we just suck because our coaches keep throwing the ball at the wall and expecting it to bounce the same way.

Its first and goal at the 50. We got some work to do.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm I agree. It can’t be understated what constantly being on the field does to a defense. Be would likely only have at most two conference losses. Thanks, for nothing, Vigen, you wasted a generational defense
I think we are pretty lucky in this area. Ghaifains backup - Ronaldo - or whoever it is, is pretty badass. We got a tough defense coming into play next year. Hell, it might be even tougher..
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm I agree. It can’t be understated what constantly being on the field does to a defense. Be would likely only have at most two conference losses. Thanks, for nothing, Vigen, you wasted a generational defense
I think we are pretty lucky in this area. Ghaifains backup - Ronaldo - or whoever it is, is pretty badass. We got a tough defense coming into play next year. Hell, it might be even tougher..
We lose Epps, Wingard, and Hull in the secondary. That will hurt, no matter what.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The case studies of each Wyoming game are curious to say the least. Chambers might have made a difference, but Chambers can't play defense. Utah State is the highest ranked team in the conference, but the Wyo D ripped those fools in half. It was barbaric. Fresno on the other hand, did pretty well vs. the Wyo D. Rypien baptized the Cowboy defense in fire. In the latter two games, I'm not sure if Chambers makes a winning/losing difference.

Either way, let's just finish strong. 6-6 and a bowl game wasn't the glorious preseason expectation, but it's a welcome achievement considering the 2-6 start. Last year, a bad bowl vs. a MAC school felt like a minor let down. This year, it'll feel like a gift.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's always impossible to say how much one player can do. Momentum is a real thing, and going three and out over and over again is a sure way to get your entire team down, while big plays that keep drives going can motivate a defense even if you don't end up scoring.

I think Chambers breathed life into our whole team by giving them hope. They appeared to have given up on the season when he took over, and suddenly they're all giving their all again.

I think we at least can get to .500 now, something I felt wouldn't happen in a million years after that Hawai'i game. Air Force is never an easy game for us, but at least we have something to play for!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 am No. Beating god awful CSU and SJSU does not make us a contender.
Yes - we could have contended for the championship with enough variation in our offense to screw up the defense.

We are not as bad as we are - we just suck because our coaches keep throwing the ball at the wall and expecting it to bounce the same way.

Its first and goal at the 50. We got some work to do.
And if your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle. We’re 4-6.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm Like we always hear, wait til next year, aaaargh
Great looking schedule looks like 8 or 9 rs wins
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hull is only a junior, so we should bring back 6 starters assuming Ghaifan is gone.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 pm It's always impossible to say how much one player can do. Momentum is a real thing, and going three and out over and over again is a sure way to get your entire team down, while big plays that keep drives going can motivate a defense even if you don't end up scoring.

I think Chambers breathed life into our whole team by giving them hope. They appeared to have given up on the season when he took over, and suddenly they're all giving their all again.

I think we at least can get to .500 now, something I felt wouldn't happen in a million years after that Hawai'i game. Air Force is never an easy game for us, but at least we have something to play for!
This was the angle I was going for. I’m by no means saying that we would be champs or a anything like that, but man it would have been nice to see us not go 3 and out 10 straight times against those teams. Not only does it tire out the D but it it demeans the whole team. We’re not in the conversation but we could have been at least in the mix. Hell, we could lose next two. Who knows.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 pm
Yup, Ravontae Holt. He looked really good last year, too. I hear there are some really good underclassmen DL that will get their chance next year.

Need to replace: Ghiffan(don't know wth is going on here), Granderson, Prosser, Cain, Maluulu

Returning: Crall, Holt, Javaree Jackson, Josiah Hall, Victor Jones, Gavin Dunyaski, Cole Godbout, Mario Mora, De'Vaughn Brown, Solomon Byrd, Davon Wells-Ross.

We know Crall, Holt, Jackson, Hall and Jones can play at a high level. I have a hunch there are a few others in this group that can also play at a high level.

I don't think the defense next year will be better than this year, but I don't think there is going to be a huge, precipitous drop-off.

We are graduating three all-time greats in Wingard, Granderson and Epps. Graduating two other really good ones in Prosser and Maluluulu. Another solid one in Cain. And whatever the hell is happening with Ghiffan. The Ghiffan one really sucks.

That's a lot to replace, but we return our corners, who should be better, and two of the best backers in school history in Wilson and Cassh Maluia. We'll be OK,I think.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 pm It's always impossible to say how much one player can do. Momentum is a real thing, and going three and out over and over again is a sure way to get your entire team down, while big plays that keep drives going can motivate a defense even if you don't end up scoring.

This was the angle I was going for. I’m by no means saying that we would be champs or a anything like that, but man it would have been nice to see us not go 3 and out 10 straight times against those teams. Not only does it tire out the D but it it demeans the whole team. We’re not in the conversation but we could have been at least in the mix. Hell, we could lose next two. Who knows.
Agree with you both. The d would have performed a lot better vs. Fresno and Boise if not on the field the whole game in bad field position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Question is, do you sit him the last game if it is a near certainty that despite a potential 6-6 record, there are too many 7+ win teams for the POKES to make a bowl game?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.