Start Nick Smith vs SJSU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brown&GoldGreenie
Buckaroo

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:41 pm
I hope if they do play TVW......he does ok....but he has struggled for so many games and he looks broken.....
For a team that's been desperate for any kind of spark and seems to have finally found one, don't mess with it until the seasons truly lost. 6-6, 4-4 may not be great, but still worth the cost. SJSU may be winless but with the recent history and number of close games they've been in, can't take them for granted.

Hard to say it, but I would rather see Nick Smith over TVW, if to your point it was running the same read option and mix in Conway with some more of the plays they used to have drawn up for him besides the jet sweep. I do agree on TVW, he looks broken, no confidence, no feel for game.
The day I put green plates on my truck I died a little inside.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I would rather just keep playing Chambers myself but if the idea was to save the redshirt.....win out....and play in a bowl with Chambers.....something's gotta give....we haven't had a four year QB in a long time and if Chambers played well and won out and won a bowl game.....that'd be pretty cool in my book. It would be better than last year......
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I believe winning out is possible now......with Chambers.....
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

You don't sacrifice 12 games for 1. Would be a terrible decision at this point to burn the redshirt.
I'm good for 3!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Cornpoke wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 pm You don't sacrifice 12 games for 1. Would be a terrible decision at this point to burn the redshirt.
I don't agree with this. There is no telling what could happen four years from now. Maybe he'll fail out? Maybe he'll have a career-ending injury. Maybe he'll go pro? Maybe he'll transfer. Maybe he'll get beat out... We have a chance to get a bowl game and build real momentum for next year. You've got to take that imo
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Not much harm in pulling the rs in my opinion. If he’s good he will hav three years of starts. Also helps in recruiting next classes qb. Who wants to come in if you know another freshmen is going to start for four? If he comes in as a sophomore next year the next recruit gets to redshirt and back up chambers junior year right? Let’s hope we TVW doesn’t transfer also.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

wyohistoryguy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm My take - If we keep winning, burn the redshirt, looking four years down the road is too much in today's sports. Plus, not redshirting will keep poachers from power-5 conferences away from a player that could become a grad transfer as a fifth-year senior. Chambers looked terrific yesterday - Win now, and we can sit back and enjoy it.
Exactly. We have absolutely no idea who what where or when will be going on in 2022. College football is a win now business. Chambers plays until we lose. It’s that simple. If we lose then you can save the redshirt but you can not forfeit games with Nick Smith in the hopes of having someone here 4 years from now. The odds of both Chambers and Bohl being here then are very low.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I agree with playing Chambers until we lose or at least until he plays his four games. Each game he plays is on more notch of experience. The original post was just favoring Smith over TVW if you were going to try and save the redshirt. If the new Chambers style is what is working for our offense why not hand it over to someone who has shown, with decent results that he can run that offense? The TVW running Vigens dry inefficient offense won't work. If the idea is win now until we lose.....I agree with you on Chambers.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:11 pm
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:02 pm I get what your saying about Smith running the read option, but I don't think it will work. I think you play Chambers the next two games and if they are wins you sit down and have a serious discussion with him about burning the red shirt.
Is running tvw out there for at minimum 2 series and see how the game starts out of the question in your mind?

If you could win this game without chambers this discussion is over. Is it safe to see how it goes w tvw
That's playing with fire. Momentum means everything in sports. You put your guys out that are playing the best. If Chambers keeps winning burn the red shirt. I believe if he did burn the red shirt he would also have a medical red shirt available if he were to get a major injury down the line right?
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Also, San Jose may be bad, but they did put up 50 yesterday (talk about momentum) and they think they can win here. These guys have only won one game,. but they do have D1 guys on their roster. We need to play Chambers. Our guys best stay focused this week and not look ahead.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Some of you have a very short memory.

2017 Wyoming football record: 8-5
2017 SJSU football record: 2-11 (with only 1 win against an FBS school...WYOMING)

2018 Wyoming football record: 3-6
2018 SJSU football record: 1-7 (coming off a conference win and 50 point game)

This is no gimme.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Exactly, if we overlook SJSU we will lose.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 am Exactly, if we overlook SJSU we will lose.
We might lose even if we don't, but at least we won't second guess ourselves that it happened because we kept Chambers out.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 am Exactly, if we overlook SJSU we will lose.
We might lose even if we don't, but at least we won't second guess ourselves that it happened because we kept Chambers out.
I definitely wasn't saying they are a guaranteed win if Chambers plays they have been playing well. I do think it's almost a guaranteed loss if we get cute with the starting quarterback and don't take them seriously.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Hahaha! Yeah. Our record against SJSU sucks the last few years. Keep Chambers in for our best chance at winning.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

And even if you don't play Chambers, are we just sitting him for a bowl game if we miraculously make it there?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Could a large part of Chambers' success be that he was new and caught the defensive coaches off guard? But as time goes on, will the coaches in subsequent games be able to devise schemes to try to throttle him down, making him less effective?
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I'm all for Chambers playing and burning the redshirt but if we are going to save it......I'd try Smith in the same offense. He has shown he can do it. SJSU stuffed our pro style offense last year and TVW is broken. Think about it though.....if Chambers played the rest of the season and we won out and won a bowl game.....it'd be a great story.....he would have played in 6 games and saved our season.....it'd certainly let our senior players go out with a bang......it's possible.....
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:45 pm Could a large part of Chambers' success be that he was new and caught the defensive coaches off guard? But as time goes on, will the coaches in subsequent games be able to devise schemes to try to throttle him down, making him less effective?
Doubtless, but him being able to run and break tackles makes them at least not 100% focus on Evans every first and second down.