Thinking about "recruiting to Wyoming"...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Poke-proud wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:12 pm
I hate it when these post go political, but here we are........
Takes a post that has absolutely nothing to do with politics and makes it political. Global warming is NOT political, it is science. This is what pisses me off about people that think like this, you've made science political, it is not, it's science.

And yes, they have centuries and centuries of data, it's called ice core drilling, they know what the CO2 atmospheric levels were hundreds of thousands of years ago.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Global warming is a political issue 100%
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am Global warming is a political issue 100%
If you listen to politicians (I.E. a bunch of people that have no clue what they are talking about) when talking about it, then yes. If you actually ignore them and their poop, and look at the science, then no, it isn't political.

For anyone that honestly thinks global warming is 100% political, you need to wake up, you're being severely mislead.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm not liberal, am what you would (long ago) have referred to as leaning toward "fiscal conservative" and socially libertarian (aka I don't give a crap about what you do in the bedroom as long as it's all consenting adults), and I agree 100%. Apparently that now means I'm a libtard, though.

Global warming is science, and the rebranding of the phenomenon had to do with people not understanding the difference between climate and weather, which apparently still is the problem. We know how rapidly temperatures have switched across the world over millennia. The current rate of change is not natural, and this is not a "U.S." finding, but rather a global one. That said, the U.S. is almost the only place where we have special interests spreading conflicting information similar to what the tobacco lobby did when studies started linking cigarettes with cancer.

I recommend a visit to the National Ice Core Laboratory in Denver. You can count the years in the layers, see where major volcanic eruptions happened, etc. It's pretty damn awesome. https://icecores.org/
Last edited by Asmodeanreborn on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 am I'm not liberal, am what you would (long ago) have referred to as leaning toward "fiscal conservative" and socially libertarian (aka I don't give a crap about what you do in the bedroom as long as it's all consenting adults), and I agree 100%. Apparently that now means I'm a libtard, though.

Global warming is science, and the rebranding of the phenomenon had to do with people not understanding the difference between climate and weather, which apparently still is the problem. We know how rapidly temperatures have switched across the world over millennia. The current rate of change is not natural, and this is not a "U.S." finding, but rather a global one. That said, the U.S. is almost the only place where we have special interests spreading conflicting information similar to what the tobacco lobby did when studies started linking cigarettes with cancer.

I recommend a visit to the National Ice Core Laboratory in Denver. You can count the years in the layers, so where major volcanic eruptions happened, etc. It's pretty damn awesome. https://icecores.org/
They should move this lab to Laramie. They could save on electricity. lol
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:16 am They should move this lab to Laramie. They could save on electricity. lol
Honestly, Wyoming would be a great place for it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Global warming and climate change are certainly scientific proofs and arguments (coming from a person actually in the 'fossil fuel' energy industry). That said, I don't think we need to really discuss science or politics on this forum as there are off topic areas for the discussion.

During our lifetimes, Laramie will always have a climate which may be 'scary' to a person from the South/CA/FL. This will always be a difficulty in recruiting. Convincing someone to move to a place with a very different climate than they have been accustomed to their entire lives will always be a hurdle that we need to overcome through the presentation of our state, campus and facilities. I actually like the use of snowmobiling trips during recruiting (as we have been doing) because this can help those recruits overcome their 'fear of snow.' With the continued improvement of facilities, it is a much easier sale to say...even if you don't like snow, look at the indoor facilities that you will get to utilize.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am Global warming is a political issue 100%
If you listen to politicians (I.E. a bunch of people that have no clue what they are talking about) when talking about it, then yes. If you actually ignore them and their poop, and look at the science, then no, it isn't political.

For anyone that honestly thinks global warming is 100% political, you need to wake up, you're being severely mislead.
.......back to the topic - Go Pokes.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Poke-proud wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

.......back to the topic - Go Pokes.
Yes, my apologies for continuing the tangent. Many things I can ignore, but some I just have to jump right in.

Go Pokes, let's keep that boot!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Imagine if there was some type of convenient rail service from DIA to Laramie, or even DIA - Denver - Laramie. Gorgeous views once you're past Fort Collins, and you can actually watch the scenery rather than the road.

Pipe dream? Sure, but still would be awesome.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Global warming is happening. The data is about as conclusive as you can get with our current science. People who try to argue against that have an agenda or are under informed.

What we do about global warming is pure politics. The right answer to that question will not be found on a sports forum.

Back to topic, as mentioned before student athletes care way more about what the school and program can do for them than how cool the town is. If we keep funding facility upgrades, invest in the desirable degree programs, and work to get as much media exposure as possible we will see gains in recruiting.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:12 pm Imagine if there was some type of convenient rail service from DIA to Laramie, or even DIA - Denver - Laramie. Gorgeous views once you're past Fort Collins, and you can actually watch the scenery rather than the road.

Pipe dream? Sure, but still would be awesome.
That would be nice, especially a high speed rail that could get to DIA in an hour or less regardless of weather. Would certainly help in the recruiting department. Obviously not realistic unfortunately.

One thing that could help and is more realistic would be making the airport slightly bigger and/or getting 1 or 2 more LAR-DIA flights a day.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

In the past we flew recruits in on a private jet right into Laramie. I believe the NCAA put a stop to that.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:18 pm In the past we flew recruits in on a private jet right into Laramie. I believe the NCAA put a stop to that.
Yep, can't have a small school having any unseemly advantages over schools whose boosters are almost open about paying their recruits in cash!

Imagine if the NCAA had decided to crack down upon that, or coverups of the deed abuse/rape, or other fun criminal activity.