Avante Cox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

If it saved him a year of eligibility, then the timing makes sense. I don't know the rules so can't speak to it.

Had to be a tough decision for him and a difficult spot in his life, regardless of what happened. Best of luck to him; I hope he lands in a spot he enjoys and can succeed athletically as well as academically.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:28 pm
I don't believe that you are correct at all. Everything I have previously read or heard from reputable sources from when the rule was proposed, passed and until now still keeps the one year 'sit-out' rule in place for an FBS transfer. The redshirt rule basically just ensures that all football athletes get 5 years so long as they play in 4 games or less in at least one of their 5 years.

The USA Today certainly disagrees with your view.
"The transfer rule also doesn’t go far enough: The council should next create a rule allowing qualified student-athletes – those who reach a certain GPA or a more standardized academic benchmark – to transfer without a one-year penalty, as in the case with the existing rule regarding graduate transfers."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 698734002/
My understanding of this stems from the Oklahoma State WR that decided to transfer after playing in 4 games this season.

Per ESPN
A new rule allows players to play in four games without burning a redshirt season, allowing McCleskey to be eligible to play in 2019 without being required to graduate.
Interesting. Mike Gundy indicated that he does not need to graduate to transfer without penalty but the Associate AD corrected Mike Gundy indicating that is not the case (unless a rare personal circumstances waiver was granted).

"Although Gundy claimed McCleskey does not have to graduate first to be eligible at another school in 2019, Kevin Fite, OSU's senior associate athletics director for compliance, said that would be the case only if McCleskey received a waiver for personal circumstances."

https://newsok.com/article/5609427/osu- ... -announces

So the question is does Mike Gundy the football coach or Kevin Fite the Director of Compliance have a better understanding of the transfer rules?
Last edited by OrediggerPoke on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 pm Saving a year of eligibility is another layer of depth to the situation that nobody here knew.
I knew. Didn’t and doesn’t change my opinion one bit about quitting mid season. Quitting mid season is not in my belief system period.

But actually I don’t believe it saves a year of eligibility if transferring to an FBS because he is not a grad and still must sit out next year if transferring to an FBS because he appeared in a game this year for Wyoming. The move only saves a year of eligibility for an underclassman (non graduating) under the new 4 game rule if transferring from FBS to FCS or D2. Worth pointing out that he left after the 2nd game and not the 4th game (not that it changes leaving mid season).
Not exactly true.

With the new rules, he can transfer and play right away because - despite playing this year - it is still counted as a redshirt year since he played in 4 games or less. Basically, it's the same situation as a guy that plays in zero games and transfers to another school, he won't have to sit a year.
As Oredigger said. Don't think this is correct. The reason people like the Clemson QB transferred after a couple games and can play the next year without sitting out is because they are seniors and will have graduated and can use the grad transfer rule.

I guess its possible that it would still save a year of eligibility by not using one this year if this year didn't count and red shirting the next year after you transfer. However, to me it seems that you would have to use the red-shirt this year then still sit out a year after you transfer eating up the year of eligibility.

Not looking to get into arguments with parents so I have avoided this thread but from my understanding of the rules Cox would be in the same situation had he played out the year then redshirted after he transferred than he is by leaving before 4 games.

I could be wrong cuz the we are still not quite sure how the rules work but everything I have read seems to line up with my thoughts.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm
I don't believe that you are correct at all. Everything I have previously read or heard from reputable sources from when the rule was proposed, passed and until now still keeps the one year 'sit-out' rule in place for an FBS transfer. The redshirt rule basically just ensures that all football athletes get 5 years so long as they play in 4 games or less in at least one of their 5 years.

"The transfer rule also doesn’t go far enough: The council should next create a rule allowing qualified student-athletes – those who reach a certain GPA or a more standardized academic benchmark – to transfer without a one-year penalty, as in the case with the existing rule regarding graduate transfers."

My understanding of this stems from the Oklahoma State WR that decided to transfer after playing in 4 games this season.

Per ESPN
A new rule allows players to play in four games without burning a redshirt season, allowing McCleskey to be eligible to play in 2019 without being required to graduate.
Interesting. Mike Gundy indicated that he does not need to graduate to transfer without penalty but the Associate AD corrected Mike Gundy indicating that is not the case (unless a rare personal circumstances waiver was granted).

"Although Gundy claimed McCleskey does not have to graduate first to be eligible at another school in 2019, Kevin Fite, OSU's senior associate athletics director for compliance, said that would be the case only if McCleskey received a waiver for personal circumstances."

This is the way I have read the rules too. But interesting they have differing accounts. I got into a discussion on the MWCboard about it when the Clemson QB transferred and everything I saw suggested he had to graduate to be eligible the next year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm
but from my understanding of the rules Cox would be in the same situation had he played out the year then redshirted after he transferred than he is by leaving before 4 games.

I could be wrong cuz the we are still not quite sure how the rules work but everything I have read seems to line up with my thoughts.
This is correct based on all my reading. I was very interested in these rule changes and how they would affect small schools like Wyoming so I followed the rule process relatively closely throughout the process. I was concerned (and still am) that eventually the one year sit-out rule will be gone basically giving P5 teams the ability to poach any players they want from MWC schools without penalty. Once that happens, Wyoming will be relegated to being a farm team for all intents and purposes.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Per ESPN

So the question is does Mike Gundy the football coach or Kevin Fite the Director of Compliance have a better understanding of the transfer rules?
Interesting...in that case I would certainly listen to what the compliance director has to say over the head coach.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

Football Fan 22 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm Oreodifferpoke, Yes I am a family member, tell me how can Avante contribute to the team by sitting on the bench every game. For everyone that has an opinion tell me why was Avante listed as the starter on the depth chart but doesn't start or get targeted. I usually don't post on social media because people only pick apart sections of your comments instead of addressing the whole statement. I tried to get my son to stay at WYO but you bring in a kid from a JUCO and target him more than Price, Conway and all the receivers from last year. Address why Ismail has more dropped passes than anyone on the team. Avante did work hard he was the starter!!!!!!
A name....Brent Vigen. To be honest you’re going to get a lot of bs from guys on here about how he should have stuck it out etc. Nobody knows the future and yah maybe in hindsight he will think that, but maybe not. The reality is that you get one shot at playing ball and if there is a legitimate “name” issue that is keeping you on the bench, I’m leaving too. I think 99% of Cowboys fans want Vigen gone and in my personal opinion the coaching staff is losing the respect of players (you probably have more insight into this than anyone). I don’t know what is going on but it looks like it’s translating into the field of play in my opinion. Guys don’t look bought in.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

Coach Grant was accused of showing favoritism to CJ Johnson last year. Something about CJ being his Godson. Maybe the Rocket pulled some strings. I find it strange that both WR's had the Drops but see more playing time than others. The rule about 4 games is a new rule and has increased transfers before game 5. It is Not quitting on your team if your not contributing and want to contribute somewhere else.
The only reason Nicco is still at Wyo is nobody else wanted him. Nicco was to transfer after Milo Hall was listed in front of him last year. Milo Hall evidently found a home and we benefited from this. College Football is a grind and kids mature at different ages. As fans we must wish them well and hope they contribute while attaining a degree. Good Luck Avante I hope to see you in the Endzone Soon.