Bohl needs to....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm
Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:08 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm Landerpoke, honest question, besides Nico who on our team would be a starter on another MW team. What is this talent you’re seeing? Sorry, but we have a low-FCS offense from both talent and coaching.

When the defense sucked you could at least still identify individually talented players, Granderson, Wingard, Wilson, Ghaifan, etc. I do not see that on offense. What is the talent you’re seeing?
My point is you can't really draw any conclusions about the offense whatsoever because of the scheme, playcalling and coaching. To answer your question, though, I think MAyfield, Fort, a couple OL and WRs could be good enough to start for other MW teams. I can't really point to anything to substantiate it, but I would bet that other MWC run of the mill starter WRs and OLs would looks just as helpless and crappy if asked to run the plays we run, the routes we run and block the blocks we set our selves up to block. They are asked to do the impossible.
yes. running up the middle against a stacked box, throwing short so much especially when receiver isnt moving (hitches), no rb in the passing game, just terribly set up, we run way too many plays that had zero chance of gaining 4 yds....
The idea that coaching matters more in football = coaching matters most just does not fly. Yes, coaching does matter more in football but the effects of talent and physical ability will still dwarf the effects of coaching. Great players make average coaches great. Try this for a thought experiment. Imagine a universe where every player on wyoming's roster is now playing at Alabama for Nick Saban and vise-versa. In that instant the Bohl/Vigen System becomes unstoppable (especially in the MW) while Alabama becomes the worst P5 team. Now this is an extreme example but it illustrates how heavily player talent influences how we view coaches. In my mind great college football coaches do not distinguish themselves by being superior with x's and o's, but by building a program through long term efforts at elevating a culture of winning and competing. This palaver about scheme/play-calling is such a red herring....it distracts from what is really going on at UW (and schools like UW), namely a lack of REAL commitment ($$$) that seperates the college football elite from the rest.
I'm not quite sure what your example illustrates but, the 2016 WYO arguably had close to as much talent on offense as Alabama, probably not as much, but in the same stratosphere. We had a top 10 QB, an NFL RB, an NFL caliber WR, a starting NFL center, an NFL TE and another really good WR in Mulhardt. And Vigen could only conjure like the 50th best offense in the country in terms of yardage! Coaching does matter! X and Os matter tremendously especially at the "G5" level where talent is more evenly distributed (my opinion). This staff has a proven ability to make people worse. I would bet that we have an average amount of talent for a G5 team on offense, but they've been coached down to a point where they look inferior
Arguably close to as much talent as Alabama!!!!..lol. You have a very different view of the talent distribution in college football than most. you seem quick to point to great individual cowboys, but great individuals do not make a great team/program. The third string guy at these football factory schools (outside of the obvious Josh Allen type exceptions) would easily start and even stand out at schools like Wyoming. Those teams are sooooo deep it's ridiculous...
for that one particular year yeah we were in the same league talent wise. Go through the starters and compare before you mock me you dunce. I never said anything about depth don’t put words in my mouth. The point is this offemsiVe staff could take Alabama, Ohio st. Etc.. and not look especially great. Even against mt west teams
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 am
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm Landerpoke, honest question, besides Nico who on our team would be a starter on another MW team. What is this talent you’re seeing? Sorry, but we have a low-FCS offense from both talent and coaching.

When the defense sucked you could at least still identify individually talented players, Granderson, Wingard, Wilson, Ghaifan, etc. I do not see that on offense. What is the talent you’re seeing?
My point is you can't really draw any conclusions about the offense whatsoever because of the scheme, playcalling and coaching. To answer your question, though, I think MAyfield, Fort, a couple OL and WRs could be good enough to start for other MW teams. I can't really point to anything to substantiate it, but I would bet that other MWC run of the mill starter WRs and OLs would looks just as helpless and crappy if asked to run the plays we run, the routes we run and block the blocks we set our selves up to block. They are asked to do the impossible.
yes. running up the middle against a stacked box, throwing short so much especially when receiver isnt moving (hitches), no rb in the passing game, just terribly set up, we run way too many plays that had zero chance of gaining 4 yds....
The idea that coaching matters more in football = coaching matters most just does not fly. Yes, coaching does matter more in football but the effects of talent and physical ability will still dwarf the effects of coaching. Great players make average coaches great. Try this for a thought experiment. Imagine a universe where every player on wyoming's roster is now playing at Alabama for Nick Saban and vise-versa. In that instant the Bohl/Vigen System becomes unstoppable (especially in the MW) while Alabama becomes the worst P5 team. Now this is an extreme example but it illustrates how heavily player talent influences how we view coaches. In my mind great college football coaches do not distinguish themselves by being superior with x's and o's, but by building a program through long term efforts at elevating a culture of winning and competing. This palaver about scheme/play-calling is such a red herring....it distracts from what is really going on at UW (and schools like UW), namely a lack of REAL commitment ($$$) that seperates the college football elite from the rest.
I'm not quite sure what your example illustrates but, the 2016 WYO arguably had close to as much talent on offense as Alabama, probably not as much, but in the same stratosphere. We had a top 10 QB, an NFL RB, an NFL caliber WR, a starting NFL center, an NFL TE and another really good WR in Mulhardt. And Vigen could only conjure like the 50th best offense in the country in terms of yardage! Coaching does matter! X and Os matter tremendously especially at the "G5" level where talent is more evenly distributed (my opinion). This staff has a proven ability to make people worse. I would bet that we have an average amount of talent for a G5 team on offense, but they've been coached down to a point where they look inferior
Arguably close to as much talent as Alabama!!!!..lol. You have a very different view of the talent distribution in college football than most. you seem quick to point to great individual cowboys, but great individuals do not make a great team/program. The third string guy at these football factory schools (outside of the obvious Josh Allen type exceptions) would easily start and even stand out at schools like Wyoming. Those teams are sooooo deep it's ridiculous...
for that one particular year yeah we were in the same league talent wise. Go through the starters and compare before you mock me you dunce. I never said anything about depth don’t put words in my mouth. The point is this offemsiVe staff could take Alabama, Ohio st. Etc.. and not look especially great. Even against mt west teams
Well...now we are getting to the heart of it. I can see why you are so upset with the coaching. In YOUR OPINION the talent difference between Wyoming and schools like Alabama is small and can even be overcome with top notch coaching....

I disagree with this almost categorically. As I mentioned above...the best of the best at Wyoming would probably be able to play anywhere (this is true for nearly every college football team). The difference is when you get down the depth chart. The talent gap gets huge quick when you are comparing Wyoming with football factory schools. I never contended that Gentry/Hill/Allen/Roullier et al. were not up to the task of playing for the best schools in the country. What about the rest of the team? Football programs struggle with this all the time. Getting 5-10 top notch guys is pretty much the going rate for G5 and lower P5 programs. The effect of having a scout team with talent that is comparable to real FCS players is huge....that is the effect of the talent gap I'm seeing. IMO this is a huge advantage that the Alabama/Ohio St./Oklahoma schools have over everybody (not just Wyoming).

I'm sorry that I've been perceived to have mocked you. I do find it laughable to compare Wyoming to schools like Alabama on player talent. You and I may just have a difference of opinion here .... i'm fine with that.
CasparMilquetoast
Ranch Hand

I think the season is shot. But Bohl has a chance to turn things around over the next few seasons.The quarterback is terrible in my opinion and will never amount to much. They need to find another good quarterback somewhere, maybe a juco guy like Josh was.
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

Bohl needs to examine his results honestly, stop being a "salesman" to the fans and media, and perform the task of managing his position coaches and players specifically on the offensive side of the ball. When you've got a running back that averaged 8 yds per carry over the weekend, one could argue that the o-line performed well enough to play better if given a better scheme for the current players as they mature on the roster. 17 pass attempts for less than 90 yards,(5.44 ypa) stacked on top of inefficient first downs all season, piled on top of poor clock management when it counts, makes for a crappy track record. The lack of QB coaching adjustments are making TVW look less than advertised each week. The trashing of the QB who knows the system, which opens up the playbook, who sat behind Allen, paid dues and saw how its done, cannot be looked upon favorably for any current roster member or any high school program that sent players to us. (see the 2017 rb experiment for similar strange behavior)

Lots of evidence pointing to the fact that the coaching staff, minus Scottie H, and Mike Bath are collectively in jobs over their heads. Bohl won't fire Vigen, or anyone else, their coaching tree is too weak and Vigen would be out of work six weeks from Thanksgiving. Bohl should treat him like a brother-in-law and shift the offensive play calling responsibilities to Mike Bath to send a message that everyone is accountable.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

CasparMilquetoast wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 pm I think the season is shot. But Bohl has a chance to turn things around over the next few seasons.The quarterback is terrible in my opinion and will never amount to much. They need to find another good quarterback somewhere, maybe a juco guy like Josh was.
Way too early to tell on TVW. He is probably getting played before he is ready but that because we literally have no other option.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Well...now we are getting to the heart of it. I can see why you are so upset with the coaching. In YOUR OPINION the talent difference between Wyoming and schools like Alabama is small and can even be overcome with top notch coaching....

I'm sorry that I've been perceived to have mocked you. I do find it laughable to compare Wyoming to schools like Alabama on player talent. You and I may just have a difference of opinion here .... i'm fine with that.
I really have no clue what the rest of your comment was or what you were trying to say as it doesn't make very much sense.

There you go again putting words in my mouth. For that one fleeting year we had offensive talent comparable with anyone. you can't deny for the 2016 season we probably had a similar talent level to any team in the country. That's all I'm saying. We should have been a top 10 offense in every metric that year based on our talent and the teams we played. We weren't because our coaching sucks. We were a bit better than average
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Bohl needs to read this article. Especially the last sentence!

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/10/08/buffal ... -mcdermott
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Turn this ship around and score some points or it'll get ugly(ier)
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:50 pm

I really have no clue what the rest of your comment was or what you were trying to say as it doesn't make very much sense.

There you go again putting words in my mouth. For that one fleeting year we had offensive talent comparable with anyone. you can't deny for the 2016 season we probably had a similar talent level to any team in the country. That's all I'm saying. We should have been a top 10 offense in every metric that year based on our talent and the teams we played. We weren't because our coaching sucks. We were a bit better than average
What specifically is confusing to you? The observations that I'm making seem banal at best, and yet I'm still losing you. I'll try to simplify:

1. Football factory schools enjoy a significant talent advantage
2. The best players at a school like Wyoming are definitely in the same league as the best players at other schools.
3. As you go down the roster, talent decreases faster at Wyoming then Alabama.
4. The difference between programs like Alabama/Ohio St./Oklahoma and the rest of college football is not the top guys on each team...it's the middle third of the roster.

I'm of the opinion that the drop off in talent, outside of the Allen/Hill/Roullier types, is very dramatic. Is your contention that the middle third (in terms of talent) of the roster at Alabama and Wyoming are close? That is where the strength of a football team lies. Every team has a handful of standouts...good/great teams have an excellent depth that can carry them through games when for whatever reason (injuries or the studs having an off day) other teams falter.

I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth ... I'm trying to understand why you are so incensed at the coaching for scheme/play-calling issues instead of recruiting/player development issues.

Look, if you feel like we were right there with Alabama talent-wise as a football team in 2016 we should probably just agree to disagree and move on to a different topic. I'm open to the possibility that i'm a bit off on just how good the whole 2016 Wyo team was (I personally feel like it was pretty dang good by recent Wyoming football standards).....but as a team it still does not stack up to the aforementioned big time programs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:50 pm

What specifically is confusing to you? The observations that I'm making seem banal at best, and yet I'm still losing you. I'll try to simplify:

1. Football factory schools enjoy a significant talent advantage
2. The best players at a school like Wyoming are definitely in the same league as the best players at other schools.
3. As you go down the roster, talent decreases faster at Wyoming then Alabama.
4. The difference between programs like Alabama/Ohio St./Oklahoma and the rest of college football is not the top guys on each team...it's the middle third of the roster.

I'm of the opinion that the drop off in talent, outside of the Allen/Hill/Roullier types, is very dramatic. Is your contention that the middle third (in terms of talent) of the roster at Alabama and Wyoming are close? That is where the strength of a football team lies. Every team has a handful of standouts...good/great teams have an excellent depth that can carry them through games when for whatever reason (injuries or the studs having an off day) other teams falter.

I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth ... I'm trying to understand why you are so incensed at the coaching for scheme/play-calling issues instead of recruiting/player development issues.

Look, if you feel like we were right there with Alabama talent-wise as a football team in 2016 we should probably just agree to disagree and move on to a different topic. I'm open to the possibility that i'm a bit off on just how good the whole 2016 Wyo team was (I personally feel like it was pretty dang good by recent Wyoming football standards).....but as a team it still does not stack up to the aforementioned big time programs.
No. most years our talent level is not comparable to alabama. And I never insinuated that. However, for one year it probably was on one side of the ball - If you don't believe me I invited you to go through it player by player and compare. You haven't done that because if you did you'd find that Wyoming's 2016 roster was probably on par or not far behind. yes. Let's end this discussion
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I don't think anybody's claimed we can be Alabama. I don't think anybody's EVER made that claim.

However, with our facilities (which are VERY nice for a non-P5 team) and what we spend on coaching, we also shouldn't tend to be toward the bottom of FBS. We have a talented receiver corps - yet we're almost worst in the nation in passing... is it ALL on how bad our offensive line is? I highly doubt it.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:54 pm I don't think anybody's claimed we can be Alabama. I don't think anybody's EVER made that claim.

However, with our facilities (which are VERY nice for a non-P5 team) and what we spend on coaching, we also shouldn't tend to be toward the bottom of FBS. We have a talented receiver corps - yet we're almost worst in the nation in passing... is it ALL on how bad our offensive line is? I highly doubt it.
I'm not sure where our O-line stops and the offensive coaching starts. I really think our offensive philosophy is to physically dominate all teams into submission.

That should work decently when we have a solid, experience offense at all positions. We are lacking severely on the mental side of the offense.

- Having 2 or 3 alternative plays that resemble some of our more common plays. Any time you can get the defense to have to stop and think (not react instinctively), you get a small advantage.

- We are undisciplined on both sides of the ball. When we are averaging 4 yards a play, false starts and holding kill us. While defenses do struggle to stop Nico Evans, they don't really have that problem stopping our passing game (when they know its our only option).
** Don't get me started on the damned unsportsman like penalties our defense has come up with this year. They are probably worth 21-28 points alone this season.

This is without a doubt, the most undisciplined Bohl team at wyo that I remember.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:54 pm I don't think anybody's claimed we can be Alabama. I don't think anybody's EVER made that claim.

Where is this receiver talent? I haven't seen it.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Bohl needs to....
I'm sure Cornpoke would agree with this. Bohl should bring in Don Julian as the offensive coordinator and have Matty Matsakis come in as a consultant for a year or two to install the Triple Shoot Offense.

It is like facing the triple option - you don't see it very often. It has bits of the option, spread, proset, veer, belly, etc. Its a jack of all trades, master of none. It can be run up tempo - or it can chew the clock. It would complement our defensive philosophies well.

Most importantly, regardless of how physical we are, it provides a level of mentality that should at least stall the defense for a moment or two to figure out what to do next.

https://gowyo.com/news/2016/6/29/5773f0 ... h=football

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1999/oct/0 ... dful-for-/

https://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6907

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ne ... id=4327427
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:48 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but:

Rocket Junior left TCU because of academic ineligibility but was a three star guy.
Scott was a 3 star with offers from teams like Western Michigan
Coldon was a 3 star with 10 different offers, including rival New Mexico
CJ Johnson was a 3 star with offers from 7 different teams, also including Western Michigan
Okwoli was a 3 star with offers from CU and 3 non-Wyoming MWC teams, including Boise
Austin Conway was 3 star with offers from CU and Nebraska among others, but obviously chose Basketball at Wyoming.

That's six 3 star receivers other schools wanted, but that we won out on for one reason or other. That said, there are plenty of ways to never take advantage of talent.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The article below tells how the Pokes are at the bottom of the NCAA stats on offence.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 19794.html

Now just what are the reasons for this? Pick one of the below on what you think it is.

1) The cook doesn't fix the right breakfast
2) The maid makes the beds wrong
3) The trainer massages the legs incorrectly
4) The offensive coordinator doesn't know what he's doing
5) The cheerleaders aren't cheering hard enough
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

At the very least we need to update our passing game. I am not calling for a change in scheme because we all know this is the offensive style Bohl wants and he is going to continue to do. And after Hawaii I don't see fault in running Nico almost every play. He is a stud and the rest of our offense is crap. But when we do pass we need to change up our plays. How bout some quick slants(or anything over the middle really), screen passes, rb out of the backfield.

MAybe if Bohl is reluctant to make a change with Vigen the least we could do is bring on a passing game coordinator or consultant because Vigen doesn't seem to be able to design a passing game. Other teams (and our in the past) have been able to design plays that get WR open even with lack of talent. Our plays seem to rely on our WR beating their guy to get open instead of getting them open with play design.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Rocket Junior left TCU because of academic ineligibility but was a three star guy.
CJ Johnson was a 3 star with offers from 7 different teams, also including Western Michigan
Okwoli was a 3 star with offers from CU and 3 non-Wyoming MWC teams, including Boise
Austin Conway was 3 star with offers from CU and Nebraska among others, but obviously chose Basketball at Wyoming.

That's six 3 star receivers other schools wanted, but that we won out on for one reason or other. That said, there are plenty of ways to never take advantage of talent.
Asmodean...that all looks great on paper. However...the rubber is meeting the road now. Yes Wyoming does not throw the ball around with wild abandon but in the small sample size of good throws from TVW the recievers have show an ability to drop balls. Now the scheme is most likely not helping ... I will grant you that, but there are opportunities there for talent to show through and it has not. My feeling is that when compared to productive WR's in Wyoming's recent past .. the current crop does not measure up.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

someone said 124/129

any accountability? the talent vs coaching argument....especially comparing us to bama, stop. we rarely have that kind of talent, but our team is comparable talent wise to probably 60/129 teams. we should not be 124 and there has to be accountability for that failure
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Asmodean...that all looks great on paper. However...the rubber is meeting the road now. Yes Wyoming does not throw the ball around with wild abandon but in the small sample size of good throws from TVW the recievers have show an ability to drop balls. Now the scheme is most likely not helping ... I will grant you that, but there are opportunities there for talent to show through and it has not. My feeling is that when compared to productive WR's in Wyoming's recent past .. the current crop does not measure up.
When 1 or 2 of them underperform, it's likely they were misevaluated as more talented than they actually were.

When ALL of them underperform, it's either development or coaching that's crap.

Our current offensive performance is such that somebody (not our current staff) could probably even take highly UNTALENTED players and train them to perform better than what we currently see on the field.

I could compare it to the Colorado Avalanche's farm system. They had a decent amount of highly talented prospects a few years back. They broke out in the Canadian juniors or college, and then they all became duds when they hit the AHL. Some of them even looked great in the NHL, and then they were sent down to the AHL, where they regressed and eventually failed. Tyson Barrie got lucky in that he seemingly regressed in the AHL, but got an emergency call-up and never had to be sent down again. Stefan Elliott, Duncan Siemens, and others weren't as lucky.

Solution? The coaches were fired, and now suddenly the team has talent that moves up or will be ready to move up from the AHL to the NHL.