I think there's hope for this season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Vigen has got to be feeling the heat. There's no way he can just go status quo from here on out or he will surely lose his job. The offense can't and won't get worse (this is what I say to sleep at night). Either he pulls something out of his hat or loses his job.. so it's a win win? he gone if we suck or we turn this ship around.

The d is not up to par with last year. this much is true. Last year was unsustainable with all the TOs we created. However, this is still an above average unit! I would say top 4 in the MWC along with SDSU, Donkey state and Fresno. It's just so hard to play good d when you are constantly on the field and have bad field position. I mean they've played will most of the time really. I applaud them. They have held up their end of the bargain in my opinion. The D line needs to perform better though

If we can get Fort and Nico back I think that will be a big shot in the arm for this offense. Get all our starters back on d and I think we can get this thing rolling... and by that I mean get to six wins. Go, Pokes.

and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Our punting has been abysmal
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am Our punting has been abysmal
Logan Wilson would hit 50-60 yard punts in high school regularly, might as well just have him do that too.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.
I would LOVE to have a HS quality punter.....

(Statistically, Zeleski wouldn't be in the Top 5 in Wyoming 4A right now....)
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.

I looked this up and you’re right, he would be 8th....

Punter (School) - Net avg per punt

1. Porter (Thunder Basin) - 41.8
2. Garcia (Thunder Basin) - 41.2
3. Coon (Sheridan) - 39.7
4. Merrit (East) - 38.3
5. Davis (Kelly Walsh) - 38
6. Trimble (South) - 37.3
7. Vite (Central) - 35.8
8. Tim Zaleski (Wyoming) - 35.48
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

To be fair to Zaleski, punting at the opponent's 40 yard line doesn't help your average much.

But all those times he's punted from inside our 20 should've helped, sooo who knows what's going on? His average is lower than last year's.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm I looked this up and you’re right, he would be 8th....

4. Merrit (East) - 38.3
7. Vite (Central) - 35.8
Wait, where did you get those numbers from?

Year School Conf Class Pos G Punts Yds Avg
2018 Wyoming MWC SO P 4 31 1190 38.4

Also, he currently leads the MWC in punting yards!!! (Thanks, Vigen!)
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It’s net average yards per punt. Got it from UWs web site? Either way we all know there’s at least 5 HS punters better in the state of Wyoming alone.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Net average factors the return as well, I believe.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am Vigen has got to be feeling the heat. There's no way he can just go status quo from here on out or he will surely lose his job. The offense can't and won't get worse (this is what I say to sleep at night). Either he pulls something out of his hat or loses his job.. so it's a win win? he gone if we suck or we turn this ship around.

The d is not up to par with last year. this much is true. Last year was unsustainable with all the TOs we created. However, this is still an above average unit! I would say top 4 in the MWC along with SDSU, Donkey state and Fresno. It's just so hard to play good d when you are constantly on the field and have bad field position. I mean they've played will most of the time really. I applaud them. They have held up their end of the bargain in my opinion. The D line needs to perform better though

If we can get Fort and Nico back I think that will be a big shot in the arm for this offense. Get all our starters back on d and I think we can get this thing rolling... and by that I mean get to six wins. Go, Pokes.

and can we get a real punter in here? with how important field position is to our offense seems like we should have a good punter not a HS quality punter.
I want to believe this but we could easily lose the next 4 games then we would have to win out to make a bowl game.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Stay competitive with Boise that's all I ask and don't be so Vanilla, mix it up and try new things things they won't see on tape the past 4 games. Let's see how bad the Pokes want to try to Win the MWC this year!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am Stay competitive with Boise that's all I ask and don't be so Vanilla, mix it up and try new things things they won't see on tape the past 4 games. Let's see how bad the Pokes want to try to Win the MWC this year!!!
Can’t believe people still use the phrase win the MW.... we are a 3-4 ein team.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am
stymeman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am Stay competitive with Boise that's all I ask and don't be so Vanilla, mix it up and try new things things they won't see on tape the past 4 games. Let's see how bad the Pokes want to try to Win the MWC this year!!!
We shall see, hope it's better than that....
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

We are a 4 to 7 win team. We already got two and and we get at least 2 more between San joise csu nm and air Force (hopefully more). I still think we could also steal one against Hawaii or USU. I bet money Wofford is better than SJSU. Sadly the bottom of the mountain west is about on par with the top of the fcs. It's poop the conference has fallen so much. Once players can transfer without sitting out a year it's only going to get worse.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I can't believe with what people saw against Wofford they could believe this team can compete for a conference title. They may say it, but they don't believe. This team might beat SJSU...might. I don't see another win on the schedule other than that game. And in two weeks they get to face a stacked Boise team that just got embarrassed by Oklahoma St. That's going to be an absolute blood bath.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:32 pm
I can't believe with what people saw against Wofford they could believe this team can compete for a conference title. They may say it, but they don't believe. This team might beat SJSU...might. I don't see another win on the schedule other than that game. And in two weeks they get to face a stacked Boise team that just got embarrassed by Oklahoma St. That's going to be an absolute blood bath.
It was one game. Every team poop the bed once in awhile. The fact is we are 2 and 2 not 0 and 4. Let's wait for them to actually lose before we give up.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Not taking Vigen's side here, because I've criticized the play calling myself. However, during the build up to the Wofford game, I heard where their OC had been around for like 20 years and is considered a main reason for their success. Granted, Wofford doesn't throw the ball very much (only 15 times all game against us, I think), but there were several times, especially late in the game, that they ran up the middle right into the teeth of our defense. There was even a third and long late and they ran up the middle. Point I'm making, their OC is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips and I didn't see a whole lot of imagination with their play calling.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am Our punting has been abysmal
It could be better, and I feel it will be eventually, but statistically Tim was ranked #63 after 3 games (week 4 isn't up yet). That puts him right in the middle of the pack for all FBS teams. Are half the teams in the country getting this wrong?

For those comparing him to high school players, you must know that the game is much faster at the college level. Depending on the high school, the punter has all day to lay into the ball without the worry of a block.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

I looked this up and you’re right, he would be 8th....

4. Merrit (East) - 38.3
7. Vite (Central) - 35.8
Wow, if only net punting average was just how far the punter can whack the ball. There's also scheme and protection and coverage and opponent. With these stats I'm shocked that the state of Wyoming isn't filling the college ranks with punters. Every one of these HS punters you mention have better net averages than the punters at Alabama, Florida, Miami, Washington, Missouri, Clemson, TCU, Texas, USC etc... How are these other schools missing our fabulous punters?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:32 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:32 pm
It was one game. Every team poop the bed once in awhile. The fact is we are 2 and 2 not 0 and 4. Let's wait for them to actually lose before we give up.
That's true. But we are 1-11 against Boise st, with most of the losses being over by half time. I think we can be competitive with most of the teams in the conference. However, Boise State isn't one of them.