Love Bohl, but...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Glenn beat Ole Miss both times we played them. Did he do the same with Virginia? I don't remember. I do remember the defensive win over Tennessee in Knoxville.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.
You are right this isn’t NDSU....NDSU beats P5 schools on a regular basis.

He beat P5 schools at NDSU using that exact same offense.

It’s just that you are Wyoming....
He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
NDSU over the last 8 years would finish in the bottom half of the MWC. Just like when Boise St. came over from the WAC they thought they would dominate the MWC and it took them awhile before they even won a championship. NDSU is nowhere near Boise St's level now or at that time.
BSU Since joining MWC:

12-1 , 2nd place
11-2 , T-1st
8-5, 2nd (mountain)
12-2 , 1st
9-4 , 2nd (mountain)
10-3, T-1st (mountain)
11-3, 1st

Since BSU has joined MWC they the road to a conference championship has gone through Boise.
Boise has won 2 MWC championships. Those other years they did not win it. Yeah they have been good but still didn't win it most of those years. And to my point that they didn't win it most of those years.... the thought that NDSU would come into the MWC and be a front Runner is ludicrous. They aren't close to Boise's level. They would be middle to bottom half of the league.

Not going to go back and forth anymore. I just know NDSU would have trouble for a few years at this level. If they used Bohl's style of play they would never reach the top of the conference.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm Glenn beat Ole Miss both times we played them. Did he do the same with Virginia? I don't remember. I do remember the defensive win over Tennessee in Knoxville.
Glenn beat Virginia 23-3 at Laramie in 2007.

He lost to them at Virginia 13-12 i think it was in 2006.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.

He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
NDSU over the last 8 years would finish in the bottom half of the MWC. Just like when Boise St. came over from the WAC they thought they would dominate the MWC and it took them awhile before they even won a championship. NDSU is nowhere near Boise St's level now or at that time.
BSU Since joining MWC:

12-1 , 2nd place
11-2 , T-1st
8-5, 2nd (mountain)
12-2 , 1st
9-4 , 2nd (mountain)
10-3, T-1st (mountain)
11-3, 1st

Since BSU has joined MWC they the road to a conference championship has gone through Boise.
Boise has won 2 MWC championships. Those other years they did not win it. Yeah they have been good but still didn't win it most of those years. And to my point that they didn't win it most of those years.... the thought that NDSU would come into the MWC and be a front Runner is ludicrous. They aren't close to Boise's level. They would be middle to bottom half of the league.

Not going to go back and forth anymore. I just know NDSU would have trouble for a few years at this level. If they used Bohl's style of play they would never reach the top of the conference.
:rofl: Of course you won't go back and forth any more...THE dominant team in the MW since BSU has joined has been BSU...(you could make a case for SDSU as well). They have been in the upper echelon of the MW since they joined without exception. Ohio State doesn't win the B10 every year but to say that they aren't among the best year in/year out is just laughable. Nobody should equate missing out on a conference title every so often to failure, but excellent programs seem to be right in the mix of title races at the end of nearly every year.

Also the idea that NDSU would come in and be a front runner has never been my contention...I'm just saying that NDSU is doing something that works, and for us wyo fan's to poo-poo it is just sour grapes and jealousy.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 pm

BSU Since joining MWC:

12-1 , 2nd place
11-2 , T-1st
8-5, 2nd (mountain)
12-2 , 1st
9-4 , 2nd (mountain)
10-3, T-1st (mountain)
11-3, 1st

:rofl: Of course you won't go back and forth any more...THE dominant team in the MW since BSU has joined has been BSU...(you could make a case for SDSU as well). They have been in the upper echelon of the MW since they joined without exception. Ohio State doesn't win the B10 every year but to say that they aren't among the best year in/year out is just laughable. Nobody should equate missing out on a conference title every so often to failure, but excellent programs seem to be right in the mix of title races at the end of nearly every year.

Also the idea that NDSU would come in and be a front runner has never been my contention...I'm just saying that NDSU is doing something that works, and for us wyo fan's to poo-poo it is just sour grapes and jealousy.
My point was never anything to do with Boise St.

My whole point is that NDSU wouldn't be a front runner in the MWC. NDSU is doing something that works at the FCS level. Doesn't translate to a 12 game schedule against FBS teams. Huge difference.

307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 pm Lol. Getting too long to quote people. No doubt, 1 of Bohl's teams would have beat 1 of Glenn's. Other than that, Glenn holds. Look at NDSU losses and compare the teams they lost to against fbs teams.

Take the homer glasses off. I like Bohl but reality is that Glenn was better through 5 years. Record? Ya ya ya... SOS? Not even in the same stratosphere.
First of all .... If i'm a homer of anybody it is Wyoming. I only looked up the Bison record because I was asked to. I thought Joe Glenn was a good coach...I never got on board with DC but he did seam to be able to move the ball. I think Craig Bohl is a really good coach...what is going on at Wyoming that is making it hard for otherwise good coaches to succeed long term? I'm really asking here. I think mid-low tier teams in FBS thumb their nose at the succes of teams like the Bison at their own peril.

I think that the things that Programs like Ohio St/Alabama/Clemson/Oklahoma do to succeed are the same things that the teams in the FCS that are able to sustain excellence do. Nobody is saying that the FCS champion is better than the FBS champ...They are probably not even in the top third but neither is Wyoming. My goal for Wyoming is to be consistently among the best in the MW...not be better than the top of the FCS.

Teams that are enjoying consistent success, regardless of what level they play at, are doing something well that Wyoming is not. I'm trying to figure out what that is. I don't think it has to do with "style" of offense. I suspect it has to do with culture and program level organizational buy-in.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Maybe so... but Bohl and NDSU also lost to a 4-8 Wyo team 16-13 during that span. Don’t come on here and be a douche.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

My point was never anything to do with Boise St.

My whole point is that NDSU wouldn't be a front runner in the MWC. NDSU is doing something that works at the FCS level. Doesn't translate to a 12 game schedule against FBS teams. Huge difference.
And on this we mostly agree...the content about Boise stat was in reply to somebody else claiming that BSU took a while to get to thier position of relative dominance in the MW.

To me it is not that the level of athlete at NDSU and the strategies they implement in game are superior to wyoming (they are not .. mostly). It's that success should not be discounted. What is going on at Wyoming that is making it difficult for otherwise successfull coaches to maintain success here... and even fail consistently?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's put up or shut up time. After Wofford, the BSU, UH, FSU stretch is as brutal as it gets when it comes to current Mountain West form. Buck up or brace for a 2-5 start.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

People need to take Bohl's NDSU career into a little more context.

Here were his FBS games
2006: Ball State (5-7) W 29-24
2006: Minnesota (6-7) L 10-9
2007: Central Michigan (8-6) W 44-14
2007: Minnesota (1-11) W 27-21
2008: Wyoming (4-8) L 16-13
2009: Iowa State (7-6) L 34-17
2010: Kansas (3-9) W 6-3
2011: Minnesota (3-9) W 37-24
2012: Colorado State (4-8) W 22-7
2013: Kansas State (8-5) W 24-21

One win against a Power 5 team with a winning record.

Since coming to Wyoming, here's the Power 5 teams we've faced:
2014: Oregon (13-2)
2014: Michigan State (11-2)
2015: Washington State (9-4)
2016: Nebraska (9-4)
2017: Iowa (8-5)
2017: Oregon (7-6)

You guys may be right, his style may not work on the Power 5 level consistently. But in case you hadn't noticed, Wyoming isn't in the Power 5. We don't need to win Power 5 games in order to win a Mountain West title. It isn't a prerequisite, last time I checked.

If winning Power 5 games is all the fan base cares about, I guess they need to start scheduling true bottom-of-the-barrel opponents.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

uh...no.
Until CBC beats any P5 team at UW, I will continue to doubt that he is anything more than CJG 2.0......
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

and we are???
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 pm People need to take Bohl's NDSU career into a little more context.

Here were his FBS games
2006: Ball State (5-7) W 29-24
2006: Minnesota (6-7) L 10-9
2007: Central Michigan (8-6) W 44-14
2007: Minnesota (1-11) W 27-21
2008: Wyoming (4-8) L 16-13
2009: Iowa State (7-6) L 34-17
2010: Kansas (3-9) W 6-3
2011: Minnesota (3-9) W 37-24
2012: Colorado State (4-8) W 22-7
2013: Kansas State (8-5) W 24-21

One win against a Power 5 team with a winning record.

Since coming to Wyoming, here's the Power 5 teams we've faced:
2014: Oregon (13-2)
2014: Michigan State (11-2)
2015: Washington State (9-4)
2016: Nebraska (9-4)
2017: Iowa (8-5)
2017: Oregon (7-6)

You guys may be right, his style may not work on the Power 5 level consistently. But in case you hadn't noticed, Wyoming isn't in the Power 5. We don't need to win Power 5 games in order to win a Mountain West title. It isn't a prerequisite, last time I checked.

If winning Power 5 games is all the fan base cares about, I guess they need to start scheduling true bottom-of-the-barrel opponents.
Here comes the "let's not get our expectations up" gang...If THE University of Wyoming fanbase is happy with "well...they are P5...what are we suppose to do?" mentality, the fkit....let's go play against Montana and North Dakota.

I, for one, am tired of hearing how young we are after 5 years...

A bit of advise for our athletic department with regards to keeping around ineffective coaches (yes you, Mr. Vigen)...Either "poop or get off the pot. If TVW is all that we are led to believe, then he better be able to run the damn offense better than a guy that has been here for 4 years...that means, he better have the FULL playbook at his disposal instead of the 5-6 plays that we have been running for 3 weeks.........
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:27 amHere comes the "let's not get our expectations up" gang...If THE University of Wyoming fanbase is happy with "well...they are P5...what are we suppose to do?" mentality, the fkit....let's go play against Montana and North Dakota.
You need to reread what I wrote if that's what you took from that post.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:32 pm Eerily similar to Glenn. Actually, Glenn's Vegas Bowl team is the best of both coaches so far.

We need to let this ride a few years but Bohl (mainly Vigen) is on notice. Glenn waited on Cockhill too.
I think the difference between the two is that Glenn followed up the Vegas Bowl with a 4-win season while Bohl followed up the MWC title game appearance with an 8-win season. There's something to be said for sustaining success. Continuously taking a significant step back after one good year is what's plagued most previous Wyoming coaches. The jury is still out on this year, but I believe we can be right back at 7 or 8 wins again this year. A 7-win season would give the program its best 3-year stretch by one head coach since the Roach era. If that puts the coach on notice, it perfectly explains why the program has gotten to where it is. It's very difficult to sustain a successful program if you keep firing coaches every couple seasons.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Well ... He's not wrong. ;)
Yeah he is. Look at NDSU losses over those years.
I'm confused ... is your contention that NDSU is an under-achieving program? The question of whether or not Bohl is a good coach isn't in doubt...he's got a pedigree and still hasn't gotten it done at WYO (Still a chance here for that to change).

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

If your trying to convince me that what is going on at NDSU is a fluke you are sadly misinformed....and I'm beginning to think that what is happening at Wyoming is not a fluke either :cry:
NDSU in MWC would be equal to or less than WYO in MWC.
Ya you are delusional....

NDSU is very much likely a top 25 college football team this year, and really have been for many years. I know that’s hard for you to wrap your head around but any credible person would tell you that. Bohl had success because he was at one of the very best programs in college football.

Bohl beat P5 teams at NDSU because he had better teams at NDSU. Seriously do yourself a favor and go watch some of those Bohl teams. Go watch a few games in 2013. I mean for christ sakes he had a team so talented that the backup QB was a future #2 draft pick and not starting because he was sitting behind the winningest QB in college football history.

I’m trying to be as respectful as possible, but if you think any Bohl Wyoming teams over the past few years could beat NDSU on an even playing field, you really need to put down the pipe.

Again, please tell me the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school, good or bad?....because NDSU has beat 5 this decade alone, all on the road....and the worst team in that stretch, 2016, walked into Kinnick and beat an Iowa team ranked #11 at the time.

It’s not Bohl. It’s not the offense......it’s the fact he is in Wyoming. I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri.
Last edited by 2011BisonAlumni on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I mean, this is true on principle. They haven't been eliminated from anything. That said, they haven't exactly looked like they'll run roughshod through the MW. It's tough sledding to finish 8-4 in the regular season again.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:32 pm Eerily similar to Glenn. Actually, Glenn's Vegas Bowl team is the best of both coaches so far.

We need to let this ride a few years but Bohl (mainly Vigen) is on notice. Glenn waited on Cockhill too.
I think the difference between the two is that Glenn followed up the Vegas Bowl with a 4-win season while Bohl followed up the MWC title game appearance with an 8-win season. There's something to be said for sustaining success. Continuously taking a significant step back after one good year is what's plagued most previous Wyoming coaches. The jury is still out on this year, but I believe we can be right back at 7 or 8 wins again this year. A 7-win season would give the program its best 3-year stretch by one head coach since the Roach era. If that puts the coach on notice, it perfectly explains why the program has gotten to where it is. It's very difficult to sustain a successful program if you keep firing coaches every couple seasons.
Stanard was fired because he was an inept DC. In comes Scottie Hazelton, with much the same cast, and the defense is suddenly forcing 3 and out after 3 and out. And we owe many of our wins last year to that new, relentless defense that forced 38 turnovers. On the flipside, our inept offense (even with Josh at the helm), be it execution or play calling, cost us games.

Vigen, barring 1 year, has had a very predictable and underwhelming offense since he came in. And we are 5 years in, yet our o-line is filled with underclassmen that, like last year, have trouble with pass protection. Receivers that have trouble getting open and catching balls that are thrown right. And a strong armed QB that struggles with the short passing game.

The playcalling tonight was at least more diverse (it wasn't a gap run up the middle on every first and second down). For once. But the execution of it still left a lot to be desired. Not to mention raising a lot of questions on how they're training the receivers and o-line to get better. Or teaching the QB that he doesn't need to throw 90mph fast balls on short throws to open guys. Which was a problem that Josh had, and still seems to struggle with.

The only part of the offense that has taken a clear step forward since last year is runningback. Nico was a pleasant surprise (until he got hurt), and the young guys show promise, but don't quite have Nico's power and trucking yet.

The o-line's runblocking isn't terrible, I'll say that, at least. Which is a step up from last year as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I was referring to you talk about putting Bohl "on notice" and others who talk about "getting the right coach in here." Those aren't coordinator changes.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

kansasCowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Maybe so... but Bohl and NDSU also lost to a 4-8 Wyo team 16-13 during that span. Don’t come on here and be a douche.
Right and that and a subsequent year were teams decimated by injuries.

Not being a douche. Just saying Bohl has better teams at NDSU.

But you guys, like so many FBS teams, just don’t get it....