Wyoming set for home and home with BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoRev
Buckaroo

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm
Cheywypoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm Yeah, BYU is doing so great as an independent.

Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State (hmm, sounds a lot like a typical MWC home schedule so far), Missouri, Cincinnati, ECU, and a couple other cupcakes. That's really not that bad of a home schedule. Certainly not anything a MWC team should be scoffing at.

Then for away games we got to play storied programs such as Nebraska, UCLA, and Michigan.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than Wyoming's schedule that year. Not only did you guys play awful programs such as North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Appalachian St, New Mexico, etc, but you lost to all those programs and went 2-10. Why would you even bring up the 2015 season?? :rofl:

Sorry but that was a very dumb comment. There are plenty of legitimate scheduling issues you could make about BYU, but that was not a smart one.
Here's the problem. Rivalries are built on conference play or a shared geography. Byu - Utah or Csewe -Wyoming or USC-UCLA. By not being in a conference, no one points to a game with BYU as a "big" game. You may play a decent schedule, but you are not an important game on anyone's schedule. No matter how good you are, our big games will always be Boise St., csewe, Air Force, and any P5 OOC game we schedule. Beating you won't be a feather in our cap and it means nothing to our conference season.
Well BYU and Wyoming are not rivals, so that's not an issue. I can tell you the BYU-Utah game is still a very significant game, especially when it's the last game of the season. As far as Wyoming calling it a "big game" or not, I'm totally cool with you guys not looking at it as a big game. That has no impact on anything. IMO the point of the regular season is to try to get into the CFP.

And you can't honestly tell me being the MWC champion means anything. The average football fan has no idea who the MWC conference champion is/was, myself included. It's essentially a gold star one team in your conference gets...it's meaningless. Even when BYU was still in the MWC, I couldnt have cared less about the conference champion.

MWC has nothing to offer to a school in BYU's situation that has the means to go independent. BYU brings in significantly more money now and still gets to play in a bowl game every year we qualify. MWC provides no meaningful benefits.
Are you referring to BYU here, or just CFB in general? I'm interested because over half of your schedule this year is made up of G5 and below, a few mid-level P5, and two high level P5.

Unranked G5 teams on your schedule:
McNeese State
Utah State
Hawaii
Northern Illinois
UMASS
New Mexico State

Even if you went undefeated, there is no way BYU would be in the CFP. At first glance, I would say this schedule is about as strong as the Sheep's this year.

Edit: Alright, maybe a bit stronger than the Sheep schedule, but you get my drift.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Cheywypoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm Yeah, BYU is doing so great as an independent.

Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State (hmm, sounds a lot like a typical MWC home schedule so far), Missouri, Cincinnati, ECU, and a couple other cupcakes. That's really not that bad of a home schedule. Certainly not anything a MWC team should be scoffing at.

Then for away games we got to play storied programs such as Nebraska, UCLA, and Michigan.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than Wyoming's schedule that year. Not only did you guys play awful programs such as North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Appalachian St, New Mexico, etc, but you lost to all those programs and went 2-10. Why would you even bring up the 2015 season?? :rofl:

Sorry but that was a very dumb comment. There are plenty of legitimate scheduling issues you could make about BYU, but that was not a smart one.
Here's the problem. Rivalries are built on conference play or a shared geography. Byu - Utah or Csewe -Wyoming or USC-UCLA. By not being in a conference, no one points to a game with BYU as a "big" game. You may play a decent schedule, but you are not an important game on anyone's schedule. No matter how good you are, our big games will always be Boise St., csewe, Air Force, and any P5 OOC game we schedule. Beating you won't be a feather in our cap and it means nothing to our conference season.
Well BYU and Wyoming are not rivals, so that's not an issue. I can tell you the BYU-Utah game is still a very significant game, especially when it's the last game of the season. As far as Wyoming calling it a "big game" or not, I'm totally cool with you guys not looking at it as a big game. That has no impact on anything. IMO the point of the regular season is to try to get into the CFP.

Kind of like your entire pointless season. you have nothing, I repeat, nothing to play for.

I care about conference championships. The coaches care. Players care. Boise St. & SDSU care, and they have programs head and shoulders better than BYU. The very foundation of organized sports is playing in a league to win a championship. BYU are arrogant fools.
svpoke
Buckaroo

I was originally really upset with BYU. Utah and TCU found better conferences to play in so I can't blame them for leaving. BYU just took their ball and went home. More money, ESPN, etc. I get that. Their program will go on with or without UW. UW's program will go on with or without BYU.

I find it ironic that some fans won't buy season tickets in 2024 because BYU is on the schedule. It doesn't hurt BYU if those tickets aren't sold and I have a tendency to support Cowboy Football. I plan to be in Provo for the game and in Laramie for the rematch. As a Mormon, and a devout UW fan, there is nothing better than having bragging rights over my BYU fan friends. And to be honest, I haven't had bragging rights since Joe Glenn, right? I love where the Wyoming program is going and would like a couple more shots at BYU.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

WyoRev wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:09 pm

And you can't honestly tell me being the MWC champion means anything. The average football fan has no idea who the MWC conference champion is/was, myself included. It's essentially a gold star one team in your conference gets...it's meaningless. Even when BYU was still in the MWC, I couldnt have cared less about the conference champion.

MWC has nothing to offer to a school in BYU's situation that has the means to go independent. BYU brings in significantly more money now and still gets to play in a bowl game every year we qualify. MWC provides no meaningful benefits.
Are you referring to BYU here, or just CFB in general? I'm interested because over half of your schedule this year is made up of G5 and below, a few mid-level P5, and two high level P5.

Unranked G5 teams on your schedule:
McNeese State
Utah State
Hawaii
Northern Illinois
UMASS
New Mexico State

Even if you went undefeated, there is no way BYU would be in the CFP. At first glance, I would say this schedule is about as strong as the Sheep's this year.

Edit: Alright, maybe a bit stronger than the Sheep schedule, but you get my drift.
Yeah I get your point. But I'm a realist. There essentially 0% chance BYU goes undefeated this season. After last year's abysmal year I'm hoping for 6 or 7 wins in the regular season (not counting a bowl game).

BYU has 2 top 10 programs on their schedule as of right now. Depending on how the other teams do, this schedule might actually be strong enough to get a spot in the CFP if they went undefeated. Depends on the other CFP teams and also how strong the other BYU opponents are though. Unfortunately that's not something we'll have to worry about this season. Hopefully the CFP expands to 8 teams sometime soon, then there would be no question they'd be in with a schedule like this.

On a related note, I feel like this year's schedule is close to ideal. 2 top 10 programs, a few mid level P5 teams, several winnable G5 teams, and a couple cupcake games.

On yet another related note, I should point out that I obviously want BYU to join a P5 conference at the first chance they get (just want to be clear...I don't think independence is better than a P5 conference). But it would be a huge mistake to go back to a G5 conference, just based on money. It would be a huge pay cut, which would make it am illogical move.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Kind of like your entire pointless season. you have nothing, I repeat, nothing to play for.

I care about conference championships. The coaches care. Players care. Boise St. & SDSU care, and they have programs head and shoulders better than BYU. The very foundation of organized sports is playing in a league to win a championship. BYU are arrogant fools.
Are you honestly implying your whole season revolves around trying to get your little gold star for being "conference championship"? Dude you and I both know that's not true.

The point of football is to win, to earn as good of a record as possible and to get into the best bowl game you can to hopefully cap off your season with a big win. And then some point hopefully the CFP expands to 8 teams, then that can be a realistic goal each season as well.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Are you honestly implying your whole season revolves around trying to get your little gold star for being "conference championship"? Dude you and I both know that's not true.

The point of football is to win, to earn as good of a record as possible and to get into the best bowl game you can to hopefully cap off your season with a big win. And then some point hopefully the CFP expands to 8 teams, then that can be a realistic goal each season as well.
C'mon man... Serious? Gold Star? You honestly don't understand or value the importance of a conference championship? You're right, the point is to win as many games as possible. Winning a conference championship is one more game on your record and how many times have we seen teams without a conference championship be left out of the playoffs even though they may have been better than one let in? You may delude yourself and think that you College Football irrelevance is actually a good thing, but you're not going to convince anyone that BYU is in a better situation than most, if not all, the teams in the MWC. The MWC Conference Champion will be in a Playoff Game before BYU will be. You can take that to the bank.
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 am

C'mon man... Serious? Gold Star? You honestly don't understand or value the importance of a conference championship? You're right, the point is to win as many games as possible. Winning a conference championship is one more game on your record and how many times have we seen teams without a conference championship be left out of the playoffs even though they may have been better than one let in? You may delude yourself and think that you College Football irrelevance is actually a good thing, but you're not going to convince anyone that BYU is in a better situation than most, if not all, the teams in the MWC. The MWC Conference Champion will be in a Playoff Game before BYU will be. You can take that to the bank.
Yeah, I stand by the gold star statement. In the MWC conference theres like 2-3 good teams. Conference championship isn't going to do anything to get you into the CFP. It'll be incidental. Going 12-0 is what will get you into the CFP, not your conference championship. More specifically, 12-0 with a strong strength of schedule is what gets you into the CFP. Whether you're in the MWC, WAC, or independent, it doesn't matter at all when...all that matters is record and strength of schedule.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 am

Yeah, I stand by the gold star statement. In the MWC conference theres like 2-3 good teams. Conference championship isn't going to do anything to get you into the CFP. It'll be incidental. Going 12-0 is what will get you into the CFP, not your conference championship. More specifically, 12-0 with a strong strength of schedule is what gets you into the CFP. Whether you're in the MWC, WAC, or independent, it doesn't matter at all when...all that matters is record and strength of schedule.
Haha. I guess for comparison, in BYU's independence there are no good teams. I guess going somewhere between 2-10 and 4-8 is cool because you'll have a good strength of schedule. MWC has more than 5 teams that would probably beat BYU this season. If there's only 2-3 good teams, whats that say about BYU?

Wanna take bets on how BYU ends up this year agains MWC teams? Mine would be 0-3.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am

Haha. I guess for comparison, in BYU's independence there are no good teams. I guess going somewhere between 2-10 and 4-8 is cool because you'll have a good strength of schedule. MWC has more than 5 teams that would probably beat BYU this season. If there's only 2-3 good teams, whats that say about BYU?

Wanna take bets on how BYU ends up this year agains MWC teams? Mine would be 0-3.
Funny how the BYU fan is spewing his poop about winning a gold star, well, at least in the MWC you can get a gold star. BYU, well, you can't even get that. Unless BYU runs the table, nobody, and I mean nobody who isn't a BYU fan gives two poop. They are irrelevant, and I hope they die on the independence vine.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Newsflash. you're never ever in a million years going to sniff the CFP, or a new year's bowl. :rofl: your season and existence is pointless. utterly
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 am

Newsflash. you're never ever in a million years going to sniff the CFP, or a new year's bowl. :rofl: your season and existence is pointless. utterly
Look in a mirror as you say that.

At least BYU has a history of greatness and has proven they can be a #1 program. 10 and 11 win seasons are a reality for BYU. Even in one of the worst seasons in our history, we still got 4 wins last year. That's our low point. It only rises from here, despite your thoughtless, illogical declarations.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I’m not convinced byu isn’t in for back to back losing seasons. That front end scheduling is a buzz saw this year.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm I’m not convinced byu isn’t in for back to back losing seasons. That front end scheduling is a buzz saw this year.
Who’s gonna win more this year: BYU or CSU?
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

We’ll take the gold star. How about BYU suck a big fat Cougar turd. Hell even a skunk turd. Really doesn’t matter.
Last edited by Poke-proud on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:26 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm I’m not convinced byu isn’t in for back to back losing seasons. That front end scheduling is a buzz saw this year.
Who’s gonna win more this year: BYU or CSU?
I would say csu but byu has a ton of cupcakes. Both will probably get 4-5 wins
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

Poke-proud wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm

We’ll take the gold star. How about BYU suck a big fat Cougar turd. Hell even a skunk turd. Really doesn’t matter.
Nice, poop jokes. :roll:
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times